• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a hit. And to think people were initially saying Wii U's poor sales (post-launch) was due to console market shrinking. I think it's safe to say that most people just weren't interested in it.

Wow at those sales.

With all those exclusive Blockbuster coming out in 2016 (Uncharted, GT Sports, Horizon) (Japan: DQ 11 and Final Fantasy XV)

you think its possible to reach the 50 Mio mark by the end of next year?

Boke1879

Congrats to Sony 30 million as of a few days ago. Just insane. They still have Black Friday in States which effectively starts tomorrow and runs through the weekend. 35 million WW by end of year is entirely possible. I'm expecting about 2 million to come from the US alive these next couple of months.

Ivan

as always

sony_slide2..jpg

Such a legendary moment :D

Congrats to Sony. Are we still in line for 40 million by March? I think a lot of people were expecting to hit that number.

Edit - disregard the question. Just read the first few pages.

Boke1879

Wow at those sales.

With all those exclusive Blockbuster coming out in 2016 (Uncharted, GT Sports, Horizon) (Japan: DQ 11 and Final Fantasy XV)

I do. With the games you mentioned plus SFV and persona to help corner the market in a few genres and Sony picking up steam with its first party releases... Entirely possible imo

What a hit. And to think people were initially saying Wii U's poor sales (post-launch) was due to console market shrinking. I think it's safe to say that most people just weren't interested in it.

I wish I could find the thread of (insane) Nintendo fans saying the Console market was crashing because the Wii-U flopped.

Pretty incredible and this is really prior to the holiday shopping begins. That starts Black Friday.

Sales in 2016 will likely be much higher too.

Wow at those sales.

They should hit 50 million easy .
By end of this year they should be around 33 to 34 million sold .

Vashetti

Banned

But the console market is shrinking.

By all means I'm delighted for Sony and the PS4, love my PS4 and all previous PS consoles. But, when you tally up the hardware sales at the end of the gen, they'll be hugely down compared to last-gen.

PS4 is doing amazing, but can't make up for how comparatively poorly MS and Nintendo are doing.

Coxy100

Banned
Congrats to Sony!

I abandoned PS4 to buy an XB1 - and don't regret my decision - but I can see why they deserve this success.

The more successful it is forces microsoft to up their game. I wish microsoft would release their figures just out of interest - be honest and say we fucked up - would get a lot more respect from me.

Anyway, well done Sony glad to see consoles still selling bucket loads :)

Renekton

By all means I'm delighted for Sony and the PS4, love my PS4 and all previous PS consoles. But, when you tally up the hardware sales at the end of the gen, they'll be hugely down compared to last-gen.

PS4 is doing amazing, but can't make up for how comparatively poorly MS and Nintendo are doing.
What are we losing the numbers to? Mobile?

Wii was an anomaly though. It drew in a completely different crowd than the traditional gamer meaning the results for last gen were completely skewed. Nintendo's sales have been falling each gen, except for the Wii.

Microsoft also aren't doing "bad", they're just not doing as well as the PS4. The PS4 is a beast and it's done it without a major price drop.

STEaMkb

I wonder if Microsoft will provide a fresh 'sold-in' figure for Xbox One this December, when the maximum number of shipped consoles are in circulation.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Congrats to Sony they're nailing it!

Don't know why people here are saying there's no games!?!?

I've been gaming for over 30 years and these are some of the best experiences I've had:

Bloodborne
Old Hunters Expansion
Witcher 3
Divinity EE - Didn't play original
Rocket League
Tomb Raider DE - Didn't play original
Dishonored DE - Didn't play original
Drive Club
Borderlands Collection - Didn't play original
Life is Strange
Last of US remastered - Didn't play original
Evil Within
MGSV
Until Dawn
GTAV - Didn't play original

....and none of the above consists of what's incoming.

I wonder if Microsoft will provide a fresh 'sold-in' figure for Xbox One this December, when the maximum number of shipped consoles are in circulation.

Not a chance. If they don't even report shipped numbers in their financials anymore they sure as hell aren't going to let something like that out.

STEaMkb

Not a chance. If they don't even report shipped numbers in their financials anymore they sure as hell aren't going to let something like that out.

ZhugeEX says it's "likely" that Xbox One is now selling lower than the PS3 at the same point in time. He said it will probably fall below the 360 next year also. This might be the reason why Microsoft changed strategy, because it will be harder to identify the eact moment XBO falls below.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds logical... the new gen of kids went to ipad and previous PS360 crowd grew into PC manchilds.

What were the two year ltds for 360 and PS3 vs PS4&XB1 to date? I wonder if really it's the loss of the more 'casual' bulk of the Wii audience rather than a big shift in the 'core' console demographic (much as people may dislike these labels - apologies).

ZhugeEX says it's "likely" that Xbox One is now selling lower than the PS3 at the same point in time. He said it will probably fall below the 360 next year also. This might be the reason why Microsoft changed strategy, because it will be harder to identify the eact moment XBO falls below.

Good point.
XB1 should be tailing off at the start of next year because frankly their global hardware numbers must be absolutely dismal.

Endo Punk

So that 28 million people who didn't purchase Bloodborne are really not using the system to its full potential, especially with the old hunters dlc now available.

So that 28 million people who didn't purchase Bloodborne are really not using the system to its full potential, especially with the old hunters dlc now available.

Nope, it's just the perfect example of what people want from a console: third party.

Exclusives were HUGE back in the PS2 gen, but stopped being the financial and cultural big-hitters early in the PS360 gen. Since then it's always been games like Call of Duty, The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc that have broken sales records and filled social media.

One of the primary reasons the PS4 is so successful is because it plays the vast majority of those multi-plat games better than the Xbox One does. 1080p versus 900p might not be all that noticeable, but when you're choosing between one console or the other to last 5+ years of fantastic third party gaming, most people are going to choose the console that plays those games best. In some cases (like MGSV) it's not just resolution that's higher on PS4 but effects like sub surface scattering are completely absent on the Xbox One version as well. Hardly surprising to see that adding up to a sales gap when this is such a common occurrence in third party games.

First party really is just the icing on the cake to the majority these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom