• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say "PS4 has no games", my question is which games are they waiting to see, or looking for really?

imas-olympic.jpg

I think you are underestimating the good will PS3 developed during the second half of its life. It became a gargantuan in terms of exclusives and new IP.

A lot of people bought a PS4 with the faith of Sony's first and second party efforts from the PS3. So far 2016 is looking monumental and looks to be the year this awful no games rhetoric will be shut down.

Yes next year is looking insane .
I have already bought more games for my PS4 than i did for my PS3 during the same time frame .
But next year is just crazy there about 15 plus games i want .
Have not bought that many games in one year since the PS2 era .

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PlayStation 4 Sell in, sel through, and USA sales comparation

https://zhugeex.com/2015/11/playstation-4-sales-are-up-15-yoy-reach-11-7m-in-2015-so-far/

Untitled-1.jpg

The PlayStation 4 continues to be the best selling console on the market with more than 30.2 million units sold to end users around the world as of November 22nd 2015. By contrast the Nintendo Wii U, which was released a year earlier than the PS4, has only just been able to exceed 10.7 million units sold in and Microsoft have refused to update us on Xbox One since this time last year when it was just about to hit 10 million. This milestone comes just before Black Friday and Christmas which are expected to boost sales even further for all 3 consoles.

“We are sincerely grateful that gamers across the globe have continued to choose PS4 as the best place to play since launch two years ago,” said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “We are committed to bringing engaging games and entertainment services to users worldwide. Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for game and interactive entertainment innovation.” Sony also stated that they continue to expand the software and services available for PS4 and it looks like we will soon be getting PS2 backwards compatibility with the console.

Sony continues to be the market leader during the 8th generation of home video game consoles. Even at launch the PlayStation 4 sold through more than 1 million units in 24 hours in North America. By the time the console launched in Europe a couple of weeks later more than 2.1 million units had been sold and the console ended on 4.2 million units by the end of 2013. IHS released a report during Spring of this year that stated that Sony were on track to sell through 34 million units to end users by the end of this year and it looks like the PS4 is on track to exceed that estimate.

I love Spongebob. <3

w0s

Nope,

One of the primary reasons the PS4 is so successful is because it plays the vast majority of those multi-plat games better than the Xbox One does. 1080p versus 900p might not be all that noticeable, but when you're choosing between one console or the other to last 5+ years of fantastic third party gaming, most people are going to choose the console that plays those games best. In some cases (like MGSV) it's not just resolution that's higher on PS4 but effects like sub surface scattering are completely absent on the Xbox One version as well. Hardly surprising to see that adding up to a sales gap when this is such a common occurrence in third party games.
Im sorry but I don't buy this theory that much outside of GAF. Almost all the gamers I talk to that aren't super deep into the nuances of video gaming can't even tell you that most games on Xbox come out at 900p. They play where their friends play and if more friends jumped to Sony then they jump and it snowballs. Add that to what seemingly is a week pressence in Europe by Microsoft and people wanting a new system and Sony has world domination. In the beginning perhaps the power disparity was a reason to get one over the other for early adopters but at least in my experience most of the casual gamers ive come across or any time someone comes to me to ask a question about their buying decisions they aren't very educated and they are just fine that way because they just want to have fun and not count pixels or framerate.

Vashetti

Banned
I have 7 PS4s, up from 4 at the end of last year. I use them as Art Deco pieces in my solariums. My horse, Prickly Pete, has one in his stable because he enjoys the menu music. When I took him to Aspen to hit the slopes, I forgot to buy a ps4 so I had to have another one delivered to me by room service. I kept that one so now I have 7. One in my bedroom, one in the living room, one in each of my four solariums, and one with Prickley Pete.

I have 4 PS4s

Ivan

How many playstation units would usually go to "old Japan" that liked home consoles?

I guess it's impossible to compare the results now when they're gone.

Xbox never had Japan, so I guess it's fair fight now :D

Shahed

While we have 3 PS4's in our house, we technically count for 4. We bought one at launch. My two brothers mainly played that since I was still on PS3 most of 2014. They also got the Destiny White one as well which made it 2. Then we also got the MGSV LE PS4 and the launch PS4 had ethernet problems so it was traded in for the Taken King LE.

Personally I'd have rather bought a Wii U or an Xbox One instead of yet another PS4. But if we wanted to play coop on Destiny, FFXIV or any future game, we'd each need our own console

tusken77

30 million sold already, going into an incredible 2016....

110749-army-of-darkness-yeah-baby-gif-bhkf.gif

Thoroughly deserved.

I think you are underestimating the good will PS3 developed during the second half of its life. It became a gargantuan in terms of exclusives and new IP.

A lot of people bought a PS4 with the faith of Sony's first and second party efforts from the PS3. So far 2016 is looking monumental and looks to be the year this awful no games rhetoric will be shut down.

Spot on. PS+ also definitely played its part in the latter half of the PS3.

Turkoop

Banned
So, if Horizon, UC4, TLG, Sony Bends project, PS VR and more coming next year, is it possible to reach 50 million ?

notaskwid

How many playstation units would usually go to "old Japan" that liked home consoles?

I guess it's impossible to compare the results now when they're gone.

Xbox never had Japan, so I guess it's fair fight now :D

Xbox "doesn't have" anything beside North America and United Kingdom.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We all know Sony are buying most of their own stock to artificially inflate their numbers while lying to investors.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

It doesn't get shut down. That's the point of rhetoric. People still say vita has no games when vita has a great library even if you aren't into anime girl face.

Vashetti

Banned
So, if Horizon, UC4, TLG, Sony Bends project, PS VR and more coming next year, is it possible to reach 50 million ?

We could potentially see a Slim PS4 (and XB1) next year too which will create a new bump in sales.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't next year tally with when Sony and MS will be able to secure APU size reductions?

I would be surprised if the PS4 did not reach 50 million by the end of next year. Its already over 30 before Black Friday and Christmas sales.

I have 7 PS4s, up from 4 at the end of last year. I use them as Art Deco pieces in my solariums. My horse, Prickly Pete, has one in his stable because he enjoys the menu music. When I took him to Aspen to hit the slopes, I forgot to buy a ps4 so I had to have another one delivered to me by room service. I kept that one so now I have 7. One in my bedroom, one in the living room, one in each of my four solariums, and one with Prickley Pete.

This is funny, but I read a story about NBA players that surpasses that. They just buy PS4s and leave them in the hotel room in each city for road games. So about 40 PS4s a year.

So that means PS4 sold through roughly ~2.5-3.5M in the last 2 months, depending on how many they had in the retail channel by end of september.

I really don't think most folks care about this at all. They go to where their friends are and with PS4 being cheaper (for so long) combined Microsoft's failed messaging, and aggressive 3rd party partnership advertising campaigns it's clear to see why the PS4 has been so dominant. Sony has done a marvelous job at controlling their narrative and keeping the chatter around their console positive.

Well they have been at the same price for half of their life now.

Sony's also selling well because Xbox is viewed as a Made for America product by the rest of the world, the Xbone reveal set that perception. MS doesn't treat Europe and other continents equally, they're not as international and present as Sony at the regional level.

Wasn't it 29m shipped like 2 months ago? Doesn't seem like it sold at a rapid rate esp being well into November.

That was shipped, why the hell would PS4 sell only 1m in 2 months in the busiest season?

Amazing sales.

I think it will end up selling 120mln in the end. The inevitable VR craze will help.

Sales will continue to be great, but I think we are going to see a PS5 release before it will get to 120 million. My guess would be VR is going to do well for Sony, but the cost of a PS4 and VR headset is going to stop it being a run away success.

Phew. Wow. I'm sticking closer to 8.5 million, myself. I hadn't realized there was such a divergence in GAF's estimates on this one.
You may be right man. When I estimate or guess things at times, I am spectacularly wrong. I believe both U2 and U3 have sold at least 8m, so I think the last of the franchise, NG getting even more popular and the PS4 doing much better than the PS3 I can see this happening.
You really think UC4 will sell at minimum 11million copies? In what timeframe? That's almost double what UC3 has sold to date.
Uncharted 3 has sold 9-10m copies sold. Timeframe is obviously until the end of time. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)
Canis lupus said:
That was shipped, why the hell would PS4 sell only 1m in 2 months in the busiest season?
My guess is 2.5m-3m sold in 2 months.

Majanew

Banned
Awesome. It's nice to see Sony being rewarded for its stance on online DRM, used games, and making the most powerful console.

The will ship more that 35m at the end of the year.
I think that at december 2016 they'll be easily over 50m shipped.
And if they drop the slim at 299...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good for them, hope it keeps on trucking and gets more exclusives.

Exclusives, everything I cared about got delayed to 2016.

Which exclusives are you looking forward to personally?

We could potentially see a Slim PS4 (and XB1) next year too which will create a new bump in sales.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't next year tally with when Sony and MS will be able to secure APU size reductions?

Well, 16nm finfet will be available for consumer GPU's next year. I don't know if APU reductions at that size will be in the cards, but its possible. If its the case, i expect maybe announcement at E3 maybe?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Only seasons 1-4(or right up to the first movie)

Although that just may be my grumpy old non millennial self talking.

Yeah, the firsts seasons were legendary :p But i like even some episode from the last season... but yeah, all considering, Spongebob is not the same cartoon like one time. :-/

4 or 10 people on my friend's list game on PS4's so digital sales could actually be a lot higher than the obligatory "30 mil" milestone here.

pr0cs

It's a great system and next year looks great but this holiday season mine will be only lightly used. Shame Sony totally dropped the ball this year

Turkoop

Banned
I would be surprised if the PS4 did not reach 50 million by the end of next year. Its already over 30 before Black Friday and Christmas sales.

You're right, they will sell 1-2 million during Black Friday, even in Germany the price has fallen to 299 &#8364;
1TB version, 2 controllers & UC Collection
CUo4ZzRXIAE2taw.jpg:large

EGM1966

Im sorry but I don't buy this theory that much outside of GAF. Almost all the gamers I talk to that aren't super deep into the nuances of video gaming can't even tell you that most games on Xbox come out at 900p. They play where their friends play and if more friends jumped to Sony then they jump and it snowballs. Add that to what seemingly is a week pressence in Europe by Microsoft and people wanting a new system and Sony has world domination. In the beginning perhaps the power disparity was a reason to get one over the other for early adopters but at least in my experience most of the casual gamers ive come across or any time someone comes to me to ask a question about their buying decisions they aren't very educated and they are just fine that way because they just want to have fun and not count pixels or framerate.
It's pretty simply/ Average purchaser has no idea about resolution or frame rate. They do have the perception though that the PS4 plays games better.

This perception started at launch when BF4, AC:BF and CoD were deemed to perform better on PS4.

General market works on perception and that perception is formed organically from various sources, media, etc.

Bottom line you're looking at a market where:
  • PS4 is generally viewed to play games better
  • PS4 is generally viewed to be more powerful
  • PS4 is generally viewed to offer better value

Of course you'll get a smaller percentage of people buying for controller, exclusives, friends, etc. but the majority are just buying a console, they want to buy what they think is best console for best value and globally the perception is that console is PS4.

thuway

It doesn't get shut down. That's the point of rhetoric. People still say vita has no games when vita has a great library even if you aren't into anime girl face.
I think there is a forgotten frustration with the first few years of every Playstation console. The first two years for both PS2 and PS3 were more or less lethargic in terms of first and second party output compared to the second half of their respective generations.

PS4 looks to be following that trend. The first two years might have had a better library if Knack, Killzone, and the Order performed better critically and commercially. Also it doesn't help that the rumored Sony Santa Monica game was cut at its knees.

PS4 in 2016, however, looks to match 2009 in terms of output. :D

Ars has their article about it up, so can someone explain what this means

Even factoring in the Xbox One's improved sales in October, our analysis shows that the Xbox One wouldn't outsell the PS4 on an annual basis before 2024—and even then, there'd still be a total sales gap of around 50 million consoles. If Microsoft can't do something to narrow the ever-widening chasm, and assuming Sony doesn't do something completely crazy, there could be some difficult decisions to make: for Microsoft, for developers, and ultimately for consumers.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ps4-sales-officially-pass-30-million/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom