• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Maybe release more games for it now? I'll be selling mine soon. It's just a netflix box right now.

This+is+the+bait+file+i+got+with+the+most+_c9f53c150b557b4ee63f1ccbfc13eca5.png

ethomaz

Banned
Console is great but first party software wise a letdown for now. So I really don't get how it's selling so much. Congrats to them anyways.
Next year it's going to explode
Sad comment.

And Bloodborne is the best rated first-paty game this year... that tells a lot when you look on Metacritic and see the Sony's first-party doing better than others.

All this is due to Disgaea 5 being the best SRPG eva! Who could say no to that?

No surprise that between the games release and now they sold like 3 million consoles. SRPG fever

Oh what a world that would be

thuway

In a world where just two years ago we were debating whether a next generation console and dedicated gaming could thrive - we now have criticism that sales of PS4 are unjustified because "exclusives".

Coll1der

Banned
It's very good! And all that considering PS2 had little to no competition to boot. I wonder what Uncharted 4 will do with these sales.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
All this is due to Disgaea 5 being the best SRPG eva! Who could say no to that?

No surprise that between the games release and now they sold like 3 million consoles. SRPG fever

Oh what a world that would be

Yes some love for Disgaea I only started the saga with this opus but I love it.

ShutterMunster

Nope, it's just the perfect example of what people want from a console: third party.

Exclusives were HUGE back in the PS2 gen, but stopped being the financial and cultural big-hitters early in the PS360 gen. Since then it's always been games like Call of Duty, The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc that have broken sales records and filled social media.

One of the primary reasons the PS4 is so successful is because it plays the vast majority of those multi-plat games better than the Xbox One does. 1080p versus 900p might not be all that noticeable, but when you're choosing between one console or the other to last 5+ years of fantastic third party gaming, most people are going to choose the console that plays those games best. In some cases (like MGSV) it's not just resolution that's higher on PS4 but effects like sub surface scattering are completely absent on the Xbox One version as well. Hardly surprising to see that adding up to a sales gap when this is such a common occurrence in third party games.

First party really is just the icing on the cake to the majority these days.

I really don't think most folks care about this at all. They go to where their friends are and with PS4 being cheaper (for so long) combined Microsoft's failed messaging, and aggressive 3rd party partnership advertising campaigns it's clear to see why the PS4 has been so dominant. Sony has done a marvelous job at controlling their narrative and keeping the chatter around their console positive.

Sony has done a marvelous job at controlling their narrative and keeping the chatter around their console positive.

Yep, and a huge part of that is the power of the hardware leading to resolution and visual advantages. It's been a huge element of the "positive chatter" that they've done well to control. It's a topic that arises with every single multi plat launch, and resolution is regularly a question devs are answering over Twitter.

Rymuth

In a world where just two years ago we were debating whether a next generation console and dedicated gaming could thrive - we now have criticism that sales of PS4 are unjustified because "exclusives".
Not just exclusives. First party exclusives. The goaplosts have since shifted.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I really don't think most folks care about this at all. They go to where their friends are and with PS4 being cheaper (for so long) combined Microsoft's failed messaging, and aggressive 3rd party partnership advertising campaigns it's clear to see why the PS4 has been so dominant. Sony has done a marvelous job at controlling their narrative and keeping the chatter around their console positive.

Interestingly enough, Nielsen research indicates the #1 selling point on the PS4 is in fact resolution.

And I'd offer you a link if I had it handy, but I'm mobile and my Google Chrome keeps crashing on this phone. But yeah, someone reposted that metric the other day. Fascinating stuff.

I'm not saying I disagree with the rest of your message. Everything you've mentioned is absolutely vital. I'm not so sure I agree with Nielsen's data points, even, but it certainly illustrates that the resolution gig is a big issue to some extent or another. Connected to that message, there's also the fact that every other customer I ever get at the GameStop I work at brags about PS4's increased resolution.

Usobuko

Banned
The Press Release specifically name Dragon Quest Builders, Yakuza and Gravity Rush. That's more Japanese focus that I would have expect.

thuway

Nope, it's just the perfect example of what people want from a console: third party.

Exclusives were HUGE back in the PS2 gen, but stopped being the financial and cultural big-hitters early in the PS360 gen. Since then it's always been games like Call of Duty, The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc that have broken sales records and filled social media.

I think you are underestimating the good will PS3 developed during the second half of its life. It became a gargantuan in terms of exclusives and new IP.

A lot of people bought a PS4 with the faith of Sony's first and second party efforts from the PS3. So far 2016 is looking monumental and looks to be the year this awful no games rhetoric will be shut down.

BokehKing

Banned
Wow at those sales.

With all those exclusive Blockbuster coming out in 2016 (Uncharted, GT Sports, Horizon) (Japan: DQ 11 and Final Fantasy XV)

you think its possible to reach the 50 Mio mark by the end of next year?
How much do you really think Uncharted and Horizon are going to sell?

How much do you really think Uncharted and Horizon are going to sell?
Uncharted will sell 11-14 million IMO, best NG selling game to day. Horizon depends if it`s a great game or not as well as the time of release, as it could anywhere between 2-5m. Horizon would benefit greatly for a summer release, anywhere between June-Aug, even though August is fall to some companies. But I`m not going to say who. -_-

I think you are underestimating the good will PS3 developed during the second half of its life. It became a gargantuan in terms of exclusives and new IP.

A lot of people bought a PS4 with the faith of Sony's first and second party efforts from the PS3. So far 2016 is looking monumental and looks to be the year this awful no games rhetoric will be shut down.

They generated a lot of good will, no doubt. I'm just looking at sales figures and social media. First party really isn't important to the majority these days. Third party is important, and when the PS4 plays third party games better than the competition and launched cheaper... the sales gap is hardly surprising.

Shooters are popular these days, right? Recent big releases are Halo 5, Killzone Shadowfall, Blops 3, Battlefront, and Destiny. Won't be long before we have decent sales figures for them all, and you can guarantee the first party releases will be significantly lower in sales than the third party, far lower than launching on a single platform would account for.

These numbers have always been impressive, but we've now hit a tipping point, where it's getting really impressive.

With the holiday coming 35 million is within spitting distance. What is ps3/360 at now? About 80 million each?

Within just over 2 years it's nearing half those sales and it hasn't even hit put-one-in-every-home pricing.

Amazing, really.

Phew. Wow. I'm sticking closer to 8.5 million, myself. I hadn't realized there was such a divergence in GAF's estimates on this one.

Honestly, it's a hard game to measure.

Like, I think the elephant in the room for Uncharted 4 is also how much of an influence will TLoU have on the sales of UC4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have 7 PS4s, up from 4 at the end of last year. I use them as Art Deco pieces in my solariums. My horse, Prickly Pete, has one in his stable because he enjoys the menu music. When I took him to Aspen to hit the slopes, I forgot to buy a ps4 so I had to have another one delivered to me by room service. I kept that one so now I have 7. One in my bedroom, one in the living room, one in each of my four solariums, and one with Prickley Pete.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When people say "PS4 has no games", my question is which games are they waiting to see, or looking for really?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Honestly, it's a hard game to measure.

Like, I think the elephant in the room for Uncharted 4 is also how much of an influence will TLoU have on the sales of UC4.

Totally agree with you. I think I'm gauging a lot less impact than you are. But I can see where you're coming from, now that I stop and think about it a little longer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have 7 PS4s, up from 4 at the end of last year. I use them as Art Deco pieces in my solariums. My horse, Prickly Pete, has one in his stable because he enjoys the menu music. When I took him to Aspen to hit the slopes, I forgot to buy a ps4 so I had to have another one delivered to me by room service. I kept that one so now I have 7. One in my bedroom, one in the living room, one in each of my four solariums, and one with Prickley Pete.

Prickley Pete is one spoiled nag.

darkwing

dat attach rate

ethomaz

Banned
But how many digital? It is the big thing this gen.

Uncharted will sell 11-14 million IMO, best NG selling game to day. Horizon depends if it`s a great game or not as well as the time of release, as it could anywhere between 2-5m. Horizon would benefit greatly for a summer release, anywhere between June-Aug, even though August is fall to some companies. But I`m not going to say who. -_-

You really think UC4 will sell at minimum 11million copies? In what timeframe? That's almost double what UC3 has sold to date.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess that "_________ has no games" shit will never end. Ever.

We have to live with it.

Or they can insta-ban that tripe since it isn't even a factual statement. Clearly troll shitposting, in any console thread. Show that it isn't tolerated, and it will die down big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom