• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occam

Can you blame the hubris after nearly every Xbox 360 produced from 2005 - 2007 broke due to a design flaw, in many cases multiple times, yet fans stuck with them?

Which was insane. And tells you a lot about the human psyche.
(Also, lock-in effect.)

So, as we talk about PS4 sales and VR...
Will VR give PS4 a significant boost in sales?
Or will it more be the established userbase that buy the helmet additionally?
Or will noone buy it at all?

Maledict

I think Sony's ability to launch in about 100 countries by Mid-2014 is under appreciated as part of Sony's success. They were shipping out consoles whil MS were still deciding where qualified as tier 2/3.

I think people also underestimate how unbelievably bad MSs launch and messaging was to people outside the USA. The entire presentation and content was a literal FU to non-American gamers. They had features and options which didn't work outside the USA, they had a huge segment on a sport that isn't played outside the USA, and when asked about details they just muttered about tier 1 and 2 countries in an incredibly confusing way.

I'm really not sure how it happened, because MS is a global company, but somewhere along the way they basically forget that the rest of the world exists and it came through loud and strong in their messaging.

cakely

Can you blame the hubris after nearly every Xbox 360 produced from 2005 - 2007 broke due to a design flaw, in many cases multiple times, yet fans stuck with them?

As a guy on his 5th Xbox 360, I can tell you that the majority of the reason I stuck with it because the cost of my game library, controllers, rock band instruments and XBL subscription far exceeded the price of another Xbox 360 arcade edition (the HD never failed, I just kept re-using it).

The Xbox 360 is still my favorite 7th-gen console, despite three red-rings.

Javin98

Banned
Honestly, I still think it's way too early to say if VR will move a ton of PS4's or will just be a niche. Right now, what we can say for sure is that Sony seems to be really invested in VR and there are already more than 50 games releasing on PSVR. If the experience is really immersive, I can see a lot of people being interested in it.

However, the main factor for the success of PSVR is price. Personally, I'm thinking the headset alone will launch at no less than $299. It would be wise of Sony to release a $549 PS4+PSVR bundle when it launches, but that is probably still too high for the mainstream. When the price drops to $399 for the bundle is when I think we will likely start seeing mass market adoption, assuming it becomes popular among gamers.

As for whether it will move PS4's, aside from price, the experience has to be absolutely game changing for casuals to even consider buying it. So far impressions have been very positive, so it if works well, I don't see why casual gamers won't buy a PS4 for VR since it is the easiest solution for VR. But again, price matters a lot.

Kudo

Congrats to Sony, every sale well deserved.
I've never had as much fun with games as I'm having with Bloodborne, I hope they keep bringing us great games and may the good blood guide their way.

Bgamer90

Banned
It wasn't PR, it was the console's design and price.

DRM and the backlash from public statements involving DRM (some confusing, some that could be summed up as MS saying "deal with it" before the 180) played a big roll in the negativity of the system before it launched. People who didn't fully understand the differences between the two consoles sided with the PS4 and Sony as a company. It definitely played a role (and it's still playing a role now).

DRM and the backlash from public statements involving DRM (some confusing, some that could be summed up as MS saying "deal with it" before the 180) played a big roll in the negativity of the system before it launched. People who didn't fully understand the differences between the two consoles sided with the PS4 and Sony as a company. It definitely played a role (and it's still playing a role now).
But that PR was in service to their ass-backwards design choices. Saying that the PR was the problem ignores that their initial vision was simply unappealing and got shit on by consumers at large.

Pfft, if first to 1m meant nothing, surely first to 30m means even less.

Kudos Sony. Now use some of this power to prop the Vita up please =)

Kyoufu

1. People who fully understood the differences between the two consoles sided with PS4 and Sony.

2. Being $100 more expensive played a much, much bigger role in the sales gap between the two in NA and UK.

1.No way
2.Correct
3.I think they will sell a million or two pretty quickly but then sales will fall off of a cliff,

But that PR was in service to their ass-backwards design choices. Saying that the PR was the problem ignores that their initial vision was simply unappealing and got shit on by consumers at large.

The problem is that we still don't know if their plans were actually good or bad because the PR was such a huge failiure. They could not explain their concept, they were even contradicting each other.
The result was confusion and the feeling they were hiding something unpleasant from us, eggdancing around facts. Sometimes you could even think that PR itself did not understand their product.

blakep267

1. People who fully understood the differences between the two consoles sided with PS4 and Sony.

2. Being $100 more expensive played a much, much bigger role in the sales gap between the two in NA and UK.
I'd lean more towards the second one. If both consoles launch at the same time, play most of the same games,it makes sense to go for the cheaper one.

Which is why I still think there should be been a kinectless option available at launch. Still a baffling choice

kuroshiki

The problem is that we still don't know if their plans were actually good or bad because the PR was such a huge failiure. They could not explain their concept, they were even contradicting each other.
The result was confusion and the feeling they were hiding something unpleasant from us, eggdancing around facts. Sometimes you could even think that PR itself did not understand their product.

If you cannot explain your concept to consumers then it is already fucked up plan.

No, their plans were bad. The idea of a console locking consumers out of their games (even single player, offline games!) after 24 hours was horrendous. All the flowery PR in the world was never going to help MS because people like to actually own the things they own, and not have to get permission once a day. People also like to be able to sell, trade, loan and give away the things they own and don't appreciate being told they can't or will have to jump through hoops to do it.

I will agree their messaging was also terrible, but in a way it makes sense. When your core concept is so rotten I don't know what else I would have expected.

edit - sorry Y2Kev

This again? We know that, as presented, the policies were incredibly unappealing. The best we got from MS were vague assurances that it'd be great as they scrambled to stop the bleeding. Once they scrapped the DRM and other shit they were trying to pull, there was no need to clarify the supposed good things that would have come from their policies. Because they never knew, themselves. The family plan was utter horse shit with conflicting scraps of info doled out whenever they got asked uncomfortable questions. Hell, most of that stuff could STILL apply to digital licenses, but MS took their toys home with them when they reversed their decisions.

I hate the rose tinting that goes on over their initial plans.

EDIT:
Can we not relitigate this please
Sorry Kev. Saw your post after I finished mine. I'll leave it at that.

People just didn't understand Microsoft's grand vision. The original Xbox One All In One Entertainment System from Microsoft was the dream of every gaming buff, but its announcement was besmirched by those press sneak fucks and their low brow patronage.

History will redeem Don Mattrick.

CoG

Which is why I still think there should be been a kinectless option available at launch. Still a baffling choice

It was the only way Kinect would have caught on, making it a key differentiator between the consoles. The vision for the Xbox One was heavily focused on Kinect for fitness, Skype, voice commands, etc. In hindsight, they probably should have just eaten the cost of Kinect and launched at $399.

blakep267

It was the only way Kinect would have caught on, making it a key differentiator between the consoles. The vision for the Xbox One was heavily focused on Kinect for fitness, Skype, voice commands, etc. In hindsight, they probably should have just eaten the cost of Kinect and launched at $399.
YeH I guess I'm getting at it shouldn't have cost $500. Either you lose money with the Kinect at $399 or do something but there was no way they were gonna outsell Sony in the US at a higher price without something like Halo or Gears at launch

Maybe if they would've held back gears judgement as a launch title instead of putting it out on the 360 that would've softened the $500 blow

People just didn't understand Microsoft's grand vision. The original Xbox One All In One Entertainment System from Microsoft was the dream of every gaming buff, but its announcement was besmirched by those press sneak fucks and their low brow patronage.

History will redeem Don Mattrick.
Our one true lord.

I guess Kev is right. This thread should not so much be about Xbox One...
I know, I know, PS4 only did so well because XboxOne made so many mistakes, but still...

We live in a world where the original Kinect sold in droves, so anything is possible! Personally I think VR definitely has the 'Wow factor'. Everyone goes crazy even for my humble Gear VR.

panda-zebra

Banned
3.I think they will sell a million or two pretty quickly but then sales will fall off of a cliff,

Never been one to do this, but tempted to bookmark just in case. It might just be one of those New Zealand cliff scenarios. It's such an unknown.

If they can manage a sub-$500 slim ps4/psvr combo within a year from now it stands a decent chance of moving on from those kinds of numbers IMO.

Hey, maybe even ps+ will get a few psvr titles worth the download.

Honestly, I still think it's way too early to say if VR will move a ton of PS4's or will just be a niche. Right now, what we can say for sure is that Sony seems to be really invested in VR and there are already more than 50 games releasing on PSVR. If the experience is really immersive, I can see a lot of people being interested in it.

However, the main factor for the success of PSVR is price. Personally, I'm thinking the headset alone will launch at no less than $299. It would be wise of Sony to release a $549 PS4+PSVR bundle when it launches, but that is probably still too high for the mainstream. When the price drops to $399 for the bundle is when I think we will likely start seeing mass market adoption, assuming it becomes popular among gamers.

As for whether it will move PS4's, aside from price, the experience has to be absolutely game changing for casuals to even consider buying it. So far impressions have been very positive, so it if works well, I don't see why casual gamers won't buy a PS4 for VR since it is the easiest solution for VR. But again, price matters a lot.

You are right of course.
We don't know shit yet about the most important thing: Price.

Generally I only wanted to know if VR has the power to pull in new users when the price is right. 500 to 550$ for launch bundle seems absolute max to even start thinking about success here. That's a lot of money, but when marketing is clever (and Sony can do marketing this gen) and we have attractive games it could work.
I wonder what could be a killer app like WiiSports, or Kawashima this time.
(Please don't say Summer Lesson. Or Kitchen)

I guess Kev is right. This thread should not so much be about Xbox One...
I know, I know, PS4 only did so well because XboxOne made so many mistakes, but still...
Lol no. Pretty much 90% of PS4's success has to do with itself, it's marketing, and games.

If you really think people are deciding to pick one up mostly b/c of what they don't like about another competing console, I have a holodeck to sell you.

(Please don't say Summer Lesson)

Virtual tours.

Most of us will never go to Dubai for example, but if they had a virtual simulation of a visit to the Burj al Arab pretty much like the real deal, that'd already be a winner.

Melchiah

It certainly was childish, even if it was "factual". Glad they've become more reserved with the parading, in recent years.

It's not unheard of, that companies like to belittle their competitors. Especially when they can do so with supporting facts. I'd say it's more arrogant to boast without supporting ammo, like both Sony and MS did when they revealed PS3 and XBO, which didn't caught the public like they thought they would.

BTW, why put the word within quotation marks, like it was something else than a fact?

Lol no. Pretty much 90% of PS4's success has to do with itself, it's marketing, and games.

If you really think people are deciding to pick one up mostly b/c of what they don't like about another competing console, I have a holodeck to sell you.

Yep i won't say that MS fucking up did not help but Sony is a company that used to rule console gaming .
There marketing \focus was on point this gen something that was missing from the PS3 gen .
The nostalgia marketing was a great early move.

Virtual tours.

Most of us will never go to Dubai for example, but if they had a virtual simulation of a visit to the Burj al Arab pretty much like the real deal, that'd already be a winner.

Good like of thinking. So, more in the direction of experience.
PS3 had Africa, a safari simulator...

Javin98

Banned
You are right of course.
We don't know shit yet about the most important thing: Price.

Generally I only wanted to know if VR has the power to pull in new users when the price is right. 500 to 550$ for launch bundle seems absolute max to even start thinking about success here. That's a lot of money, but when marketing is clever (and Sony can do marketing this gen) and we have attractive games it could work.
(Please don't say Summer Lesson)
Yep, marketing is very important too. For VR to really kick off, it has to catch the attention of casual gamers. For example, if there are demos of PSVR for the public in game stores, that will really help drive the appeal. And fortunately for Sony, if VR does become a success, most casuals will likely opt for the PSVR since most of them wouldn't want to be fiddling with the settings on PC for optimal experience. And whether you like it or not, Summer Lesson will be a hit if it ends up being a full game. :p But seriously, the impressions for it so far are very positive, so if it gets popular, who's to say the casuals wouldn't be interested in it?

Anyway, I think the PSVR could potentially move a lot of PS4's, but I would wait for it to launch first before making bold predictions on how well it will do. It probably won't move as many consoles as Kinect did, though.

And whether you like it or not, Summer Lesson will be a hit if it ends up being a full game. :p But seriously, the impressions for it so far are very positive, so if it gets popular, who's to say the casuals wouldn't be interested in it?
I like it. But I don't believe it will be something for the masses.
On the other hand: Make a Minion Version and it will sell like hotcake.

Edit: The longer I think about it, the better the idea gets. Poor parents...

Melchiah

Virtual tours.

IIRC, Sony mentioned virtual travels, when they revealed Morpheus. Hopefully there'll be tours to space and prehistoric times ahead. Seems like Crytek is already doing the latter with Robinson: The Journey.

Javin98

Banned
I like it. But I don't believe it will be something for the masses.
On the other hand: Make a Minion Version and it will sell like hotcake.
LOL, it probably won't be popular for families with kids, but it certainly will attract the young male demographic. :p Also, I don't know if you read the impressions, but most people who tried it said that they didn't really feel like they were creeping on those virtual girls, but instead felt awkward when those girls got close. Now the trailers and jokes on GAF might tell otherwise, but I could see this being a great experience to interact with virtual people. Don't know if the mass market will jump on board, though. As for Minions, yeah, that will surely please the kids.

IIRC, Sony mentioned virtual travels, when they revealed Morpheus. Hopefully there'll be tours to space and prehistoric times ahead. Seems like Crytek is already doing the latter with Robinson: The Journey.
Fuck, you just gave me the idea of travelling to somewhere akin to Isla Sorna. Now I can't stop thinking about it. That will be amazing.

Obviously not all but a huge part as the guy heading the ship. How can blame not fall with him first?
No one is saying not blame him first, but this seems to be like it's all him. You don't get to make such decisions unless you have a decent backing, esp when it's such a huge change. I can't take anyone seriously who thinks Mattrick is some sort of massive responsibility while everyone else is excused from it, for whatever completely illogical idea.

LOL, it probably won't be popular for families with kids, but it certainly will attract the young male demographic. :p Also, I don't know if you read the impressions, but most people who tried it said that they didn't really feel like they were creeping on those virtual girls, but instead felt awkward when those girls got close. Now the trailers and jokes on GAF might tell otherwise, but I could see this being a great experience to interact with virtual people. Don't know if the mass market will jump on board, though. As for Minions, yeah, that will surely please the kids.

Fuck, you just gave me the idea of travelling to somewhere akin to Isla Sorna. Now I can't stop thinking about it. That will be amazing.

Sony has not revealed non-gaming functions of their VR headset yet, may be we can get a glimpse of it in PSX hopefully as we are heading close to launch next year and this is only one big conference left before E3 which is going to be close to the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom