• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is before Uncharted, Gran Turismo, an exclusive Street Fighter, PS VR, The Last Guardian, and whatever Sony Santa Monica is coming up.

I wish I had bought Sony stock two years ago.

Josh5890

I can see $250 2016 -> $229 2017 -> $199 2018 / PS5 launch $399.

The slow price drop is due to PS4 Slim -> PS4 Slimmer -> PS4 Slim Fanless

If there is a bigger jump in graphics than what this gen was I think that $399 is a pipe dream. I sure as hell hope I'm wrong though.

AniHawk

Not hitting 199 would be their biggest mistake imo

199 is the true wow sweet sport

Add in wanting to add a 2nd expensive device in VR and the need for 200 is even greater.

Slim and 199 is needed and this was also a mistake in ps3 and xbox no doubt in my mind.

need a greatest hit lines, as games don't seem to be going super cheap as well.

to look at it another way, the ps3 is 9 years old and it's still $249.99 at retail. consoles really aren't supposed to drop by a lot in a short amount of time anymore.

Josh5890

to look at it another way, the ps3 is 9 years old and it's still $249.99 at retail. consoles really aren't supposed to drop by a lot in a short amount of time anymore.

I think that is more attributed to how expensive some parts are (like the cell processor). I could be wrong.

FATALITY

Banned

i think ps3 still expensive because of the alien technology they used in it.
and i heard people saying that the components used on ps4 will get cheaper much faster then any console ever.
if that is true? i dont know but i firmly believe ps4 will get to $99 at the end of its life cycle.
just a guess tho

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Not really. PS3 has a lot of proprietary technology that still costs a lot to be mass produced. PS4 will get to 199 eventually.

I hate their Black Friday deals but it's not like they need them to sell consoles. Congrats. I'm surprised it's keeping up (and slightly outpacing) PS2. That's crazy.

And 2016 could be one of the best years ever for Sony with the ridiculous amount of exclusives and other games coming out. Good stuff.

AniHawk

I think that is more attributed to how expensive some parts are (like the cell processor). I could be wrong.

Not really. PS3 has a lot of proprietary technology that still costs a lot to be mass produced. PS4 will get to 199 eventually.

this is also true of the vita, but i think sony's willing to just make money on hardware when they can. if the ps3 showed them anything, it's that they could keep the price above $200 and still sell 27 million units of the platform in the us. there's no huge reason to keep dropping the price of the ps4 unless it's 2025 and the ps4 super mega slim costs pennies on the dollar to make.

Josh5890

i think ps3 still expensive because of the alien technology they used in it.
and i heard people saying that the components used on ps4 will get cheaper much faster then any console ever.
if that is true? i dont know but i firmly believe ps4 will get to $99 at the end of its life cycle.
just a guess tho

I think that $99 will happen but not until well into the PS5 lifespan. Keep in mind that Sony isn't in any hurry to drop the price now. Playstation is one of the few things they are making money on so they need to ride that profit train as long as possible.

Where's the version that breaks through the ceiling?

YJoroNu.gif

Edit: Wait, that's not it. I just looked for the animation without really looking at what it was showing. I'm not sure what the figures on this is supposed to represent.

I hate their Black Friday deals but it's not like they need them to sell consoles. Congrats. I'm surprised it's keeping up (and slightly outpacing) PS2. That's crazy.

And 2016 could be one of the best years ever for Sony with the ridiculous amount of exclusives and other games coming out. Good stuff.

To be fair it's outpacing because it didn't have a period of console drought and poor or no restocks like the PS2. Right now it's an illusion.

This goes for the Xbox too. It's doing better than the 360 because they've maintained supply unlike the 360 at first.

Sjefen

Good news, as a PS4 owner this means bigger online community, continued expanding gaming support and probably more exclusives. And hopefully PSVR will sell alot with good software support.

GHG

Gold Member
It's almost depressing how poorly Xbox is doing.

They only have themselves to blame.

All they had to do was stick to the strategy that made the 360 so successful in the early years. Powerful console, simple to use, gaming focused, variety in 1st party games, cheaper, rock solid 3rd party relations.

They over engineered, over complicated and basically fumbled about.

It would have been really interesting to see a modernised 360 esque console go toe to toe with the ps4. Instead we have the bloodbath we are witnessing now.

kadotsu

Banned
Next year could have it all: Japanese, first party, big indie and western games. There probably will be a console redesign and a drop under $300. From the moment The Witness releases it's just going to be game after game after game. If in addition to all that, VR takes off, too, they might even rival the Wii, but that is by no way certain.

Behlel

All they had to do was stick to the strategy that made the 360 so successful in the early years. Powerful console, simple to use, gaming focused, variety in 1st party games, cheaper.

It would have been really interesting to see a modernised 360 esque console go toe to toe with the ps4. Instead we have the bloodbath we are witnessing now.
What variety in first party games? They have always released halo, forza, fable and some minor game. Gears was second party and other title where timed exclusive (like bioshock and mass effect).
To be fair they had made a good gen only because sony killed themselves with the absurde price, the late launch and the global economic problem have done the rest. Sony deserved all the slap in the face that MS throw to them last gen, arrogance never pay.
Now they have launched in the same time frame, with a price advantage and a lot of good deal for the customer, they haven't shit in the face of customers like MS did (remember when they said "if you can't access online then you can buy a 360" thing?).

SparkTR

All they had to do was stick to the strategy that made the 360 so successful in the early years. Powerful console, simple to use, gaming focused, variety in 1st party games, cheaper.

I don't think even a PS2 level of success was what Microsoft wanted. They wanted something larger than just gaming in the living room, and tailored their machine, marketing and message around that. It didn't work out and it backfired, but having just another 360 (pocket change, if that) probably wasn't on their minds at any point during the development of the console. I assume they're going for something different now as they re-position the Xbox brand as a wider service in the future.

2016 has such an insane lineup coming, I wonder what sales will be at the end of next year.

I wish I had bought Sony stock two years ago.

I bought Sony stock almost 2 years ago now. I actually got in just after the PS4 launched and immediately sold out, I knew something was up then. It was up quite a bit early 2015 but has since trimmed it's gains to about a 30% increase from my purchase price.

I don't regret buying Sony because 30% is nothing to sneeze at, but I can tell you that Apple, Amazon, Google, and Nvidia have all done better in the same period. Amazon and Nvidia are both up like 85% over the same period, Google is up around 75% (including the split between voting and non-voting shares if you held it before that happened).

TBiddy

2016 has such an insane lineup coming, I wonder what sales will be at the end of next year.

Diminishing returns. At some point the market will be saturated and sales will begin to slow, no matter the amount of good games being released.

To be fair they had made a good gen only because sony killed themselves with the absurde price, the late launch and the global economic problem have done the rest. Sony deserved all the slap in the face that MS throw to them last gen, arrogance never pay.

If that logic is to be followed, Sony only leads this gen because Microsoft killed themselves with Kinect, the E3 disaster and the price.

It's just not that simple, though.

KZObsessed

Sell through? Holy shit.

I have a list of about 20 awesome looking Japanese games I want next year, and even though I'll never ever have time to play them, I want MOAR.

Can't wait for PSX.

30 million in 2 years is amazing.

2016 is going to be the year where all the huge software (at least the big name first-party software) hits. i think we might see it at 299 before the end of the year, but 199 might not happen until the system's being replaced. it's possible that it actually might not ever happen.

Why not? Cerny said that the PS4 was built to get price reduction fast. The matter of the fact that in their financial reports they specifically talk about good margin of the PS4 as a huge contributor to profits.

Withnail

Impressive sales.

Next year sales could explode. I think PSVR will be big news and bring in a lot of mainstream gamers. There's a chance it does for the console what Kinect did for the 360.

GHG

Gold Member
What variety in first party games? They have always released halo, forza, fable and some minor game. Gears was second party and other title where timed exclusive (like bioshock and mass effect).
Now they have launched in the same time frame, with a price advantage and a lot of good deal for the customer, they haven't shit in the face of customers like MS did (remember when they said "if you can't access online then you can buy a 360" thing?).

They had games like Ridge Racer 6, Kameo, Viva Piñata, Lost Odyssey, pgr, blue dragon, condemned and chromehounds.

While very few of those games are system sellers in their own right, they add up collectively to create a library that has depth, covers all bases and has something for everyone.

I didn't buy my console for Halo/Forza/Gears, I bought it to play many of the games listed above with the bonus of knowing 3rd party titles were well supported and ran better. I know many other people were the same.

Got dayum. PS4 is just a monster. I feel like I'm living in a modernised PS2 era with all the great big budget games and niche titles. Just the addition of indies and online capabilities takes it to another level.

ROTW must be in beast mode considering how disappointing US sales were

This was my thinking as well with the caveat that US sales are actually quite good.
I think people always underestimate how insanely good the PS4 is doing across EU, Asia, Latin America and maybe even Africa.

About 70% of sales seem to be coming from these regions where the PS brand is like default option for a lot of people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom