• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 9 million in the U.S.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People do know charts only tell what we already and can't actually predict anything.

DayEnder

White-tailed_deer.jpg

OT: The graph looks pretty positive to me. ZhugeEX that is a great logo.

I know you removed it, but this is one fucking country.

Like usual, USA=World

People can't wrap their head around that outside of the USA exist other countries that also purchase consoles.

Sure, but adding more global markets to your overall consumer base to band-aid decline in your home market doesn't actually fix long-term growth problems.

The second quote just confirms for me the hypothesis (at least so far...) that this gen is extremely front loaded. I share this thought and so do many others.

In aggregate ps4 and xb1 may be ahead of the predecessor (launch months aligned) but I'd be interested to see PS3/360 month 23 (for example) compared to ps4/xb1 month 23

I don't think so, mainly because that generation had quicker price drops. This generation it's staying at initial MSRP longer and the price cuts have been less once they did happen.

Overall it will be lower given the Wii but just One and PS4 could be about even. PS4 picking up Ones slack, I think it'll be over 100 million by EOL and if they get it to 149.99 or even 99.99 it might get close to PS2 levels.

No need to take offense. I'm not even American. I hadn't considered other emerging markets like Latin America and the Middle East though. I don't think they will be able to make up the difference this gen.

Unit wise gap is not shrinking. It's growing. It's just that when you start to have bigger numbers of course the the percentage gap will shrink.

Madness

That is because of the Wii. The core market is still responding favorably to these consoles. The PS4 just got its first price drop nearly 2 years later. I think PS4 and Xbox one combined will still come close to their last gen counterparts total.

Xbox 360 was the leader in NA last gen by a large margin. The fact both Xbox One and PS4 are outselling Xbox 360 in NA, means that while it may not come close to the 8,9,10 year longevity of the last gen consoles, but they'll keep getting tons of sales and are considered successful.

This generation is going to be naturally shorter than the last one which was unprecedented. No other gen went that long.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Good, if you bought an Xbox 1 after knowing about the red rings many of the Xbox 360s had you'd be a fool to stick with them for another console.

Funny I could say the same for Sony with their disk read error bullshit on the PS2. Although they were lucky enough to get my money for the PS3 that has PS2 backwards compatibility before they were about to remove it.

It says "their predecessors". I assume that means PS3 + 360. If the Wii is included in that, then things are looking good.

Wii did expand the audience to grandparents and middle aged folk but we kind of figured that was not sustainable. They bought it, played for a bit then didn't buy software beyond Wii sports. The Wii never sold much in terms of AAA software I believe beyond the staples.

PS4 picking up Ones slack, I think it'll be over 100 million by EOL and if they get it to 149.99 or even 99.99 it might get close to PS2 levels.

Ps4 was probably built to drop in price as time goes on. Ps3 is still relatively expensive to produce because of the cell. It's a full $100 more at the same point in its life as Ps2. At some point soon Sony is going to have to just stop producing Ps3, because Ps4 will likely be $299 next year and it's going to look rather silly having a $200 10 year old Ps3 next to it on the shelf.

truth411

Unit wise gap is not shrinking. It's growing. It's just that when you start to have bigger numbers of course the the percentage gap will shrink.
Wait are you saying the PS4/X1 will outsell the PS3/360? Not possible. The PS4 gains in market share isn't going to be enough to fill the gap of the X1 that only sell in the U.S. and U.K.

Walpurgis

Banned

The way I understand it, PS3+360 had a certain number of sales and the PS4+XB1 have 40% more. Last year, they had 80%. I believe that this is all launch aligned and that the PS4+XB1 aren't being compared to a single number last year and today.

Walpurgis

Banned
Wii did expand the audience to grandparents and middle aged folk but we kind of figured that was not sustainable. They bought it, played for a bit then didn't buy software beyond Wii sports. The Wii never sold much in terms of AAA software I believe beyond the staples.

Hopefully PSVR can change that. I think old people will like it.

FloorEssence

Neo Member
To the people saying the industry is in danger, go look at PC growth over the last 5 years. Predicted to be 35b dollar industry by 2018.

Core gaming is bigger than ever, its just the platform weights have shifted around a bit.

ZOONAMI

The lines are clearly converging on the sales of their predecessors, xbone is pretty much already at the same rate as xbox360. Both ps3 and 360 had slow starts. This is going to be a somewhat shorter gen with ps4 selling something like 50-60 million and xbone 30-40 million. The market will become saturated with fewer sales because a lot of people who bought 360s and ps3s are happy with their tablets and phones and set top boxes, and yes pcs. Same thing happened to the wii u but just to a larger extent because the wii audience was more casual than ps/ms. It's not like there weren't casuals on 360 and ps3 though.

And a lot of the hardcore console gamers have moved to PC. No way both Sony and MS are each gonna move 100 millionish like last gen.

If that data is correct, then the two console's sales are surprisingly close in the US
- 9 milllion for PS4
- 8.125 million for Xbox One

Interesting stuff.

To the people saying the industry is in danger, go look at PC growth over the last 5 years. Predicted to be 35b by 2018.

Core gaming is bigger than ever, its just the platform weights have shifted around a bit.

Now look what kind of games are growing at PC.

PC alone wouldn't be enough to sustain larger core games.

2014 marks another historic year for PC gaming, in terms of growth. Powerhouse freemium games such as League of Legends, and World of Tanks continue to be key indicators for the health of PC gaming.

OGA board member and Research Subcommittee chair, Matt Ployhar attributes the growth accordingly, “The recipe that keeps PC gaming on top is simple: the platform is accessible to all markets, and especially so with the free-to-play and freemium content; the hardware continues to evolve with gamers’ lifestyles, offering more choice and freedom; and, due to the ubiquity of PC’s globally, it’s easier to share, communicate and be more sociable with friends and family. These same factors, in part, also help explain the meteoric rise of eSports.”
- See more at: https://opengamingalliance.org/pres...cord-growth-for-pc-games#sthash.9l1LM5xb.dpuf

Games are games but consoles are still the most important platforms for pretty much all games we are talking about on NeoGAF.

hawk2025

There is no such thing as a stochastic time series.

A time series is the realization of a stochastic process, much like a number or an outcome may be the realization of a random variable.

The way I understand it, PS3+360 had a certain number of sales and the PS4+XB1 have 40% more. Last year, they had 80%. I believe that this is all launch aligned and that the PS4+XB1 aren't being compared to a single number last year and today.

That 80% gap was probably early 2014 when PS4/Xbox One had launched just months earlier and had absolutely huge launch numbers compared to X360/PS3. Today while gap is ''only'' 40% the absolute unit gap is way bigger than it was at the point when percentage gap was 80%. Not to mention that even the percentage gap could see some gains during next few months as PS4/Xbox One combined will sell good bit more than X360 did in 2007 and PS3 in 2008. it will be late gen when last gen starts to make some serious gains to this gen (Kinect blowing up X360 sales in 2010)

Wait are you saying the PS4/X1 will outsell the PS3/360? Not possible. The PS4 gains in market share isn't going to be enough to fill the gap of the X1 that only sell in the U.S. and U.K.
Not saying that. Just that at the moment gap is still growing. Of course when it's all said and done X360/PS3 will probably have higher sales but it will still take many years before they are even closing distance to PS4 and Xbox One.

Taurus

Wii has sold 908 million pieces of software. That's about 9 games per console on average. So for every grandparent with Wii who bought only Wii Sports there was a gamer who bought 17+ games to make this average come true.

Conclusion: your assumption is horse shit.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

Core games are growing big time on PC. AAA is getting a much stronger presence on Steam

That isn't the point. Just look at the forecast in the article. The total PC market is bigger than the console market but dominated by different types of games, so at best we can talk about synergy effects than a possible repleacement for the revenue streams on consoles if consoles are dying for real.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm still a little shocked by the response to my original comment in the OP. I don't participate in much Sales-GAF discussions so I didn't know that you guys were so touchy. o_O

I'm still a little shocked by the response to my original comment in the OP. I don't participate in much Sales-GAF discussions so I didn't know that you guys were so touchy. o_O

I think it's just your constant rampant negativity that people are getting tired of, but that's just me.

5taquitos

Because it was nothing but gloom over what can only be read as good news for both consoles?

FloorEssence

Neo Member
Now look what kind of games are growing at PC.

PC alone wouldn't be enough to sustain larger core games.

Games are games but consoles are still the most important platforms for pretty much all games we are talking about on NeoGAF.

F2P plays a significant role in PC revenue yes, but AAA gaming has had an enormous growth. Even if PS4/XBO equal last generation, the massive growth of PC puts the industry as a whole ahead.

It depends if we're talking about industry as a whole or specifically the console industry. But I don't think AAA developers have to worry about sales being weaker, only MS/Sony about console sales.

RowdyReverb

I hope they continue to outpace last-gen. It would be a sad day if those solid lines intersected the transparent ones. XB1 is going to need another strong holiday season to keep ahead of the 360.

Rocky

Banned
Wii has sold 908 million pieces of software. That's about 9 games per console on average. So for every grandparent with Wii who bought only Wii Sports there was a gamer who bought 17+ games to make this average come true.

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Carnival Games
Mario Kart
NSMB Wii

There's your 9 games, and most of the Wii_ were packaged with extra controllers or motion plus and those games were mostly bought for those. Which kinda falsely inflates those sales numbers.

Do pack ins games count as "sales"? That always seems questioned when talking about other systems. It never seems to be brought up when talking about Wii.

Nintendo counts them. Just like with the games above that were packed with an extra remote or whatever. Those games wouldn't have sold what they did if they were sold standalone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Do pack ins games count as "sales"? That always seems questioned when talking about other systems. It never seems to be brought up when talking about Wii.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think it's just your constant rampant negativity that people are getting tired of, but that's just me.
I didn't know that I was known for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Because it was nothing but gloom over what can only be read as good news for both consoles?
I don't see how it can be read as good news.
Eh. Just wanted to correct you. This is discussion forum after all (?)

That wasn't directed towards anyone specifically. I just looked back at the first page and saw all the people quoting me on that and responding with drive-by posts and the like.

hawk2025

I didn't know that I was known for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't see how it can be read as good news.

I mean, for starters: When people react negatively to something said, derisively saying they "can't handle" it or are "touchy" is typically not the best approach.

1.jpg

Classic overbought signals and gravestone doji. Expect a long bear market.

How can anyone possibility reference a gravestone doji effect on a cumulative sales graph? You know that by construction it can't go down, right?

Bloodrage

Banned
Responding to a dumbass, misinformed comment doesn't make them touchy though. It's like calling anyone who disagrees with an opinion "defensive", it doesn't make sense. It almost seems as if you're tag fishing with your constant negativity, tbh.

Crema

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Carnival Games
Mario Kart
NSMB Wii

There's your 9 games, and most of the Wii_ were packaged with extra controllers or motion plus and those games were mostly bought for those. Which kinda falsely inflates those sales numbers.

Nintendo counts them. Just like with the games above that were packed with an extra remote or whatever. Those games wouldn't have sold what they did if they were sold standalone.

So people were only buying games for the controllers for the games they weren't playing. Whatever it takes to avoid acknowledging the Wii was successful I guess.

Top Bottom