• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 9 million in the U.S.

Reading these numbers is making it harder and harder for me to decide which console to get (PS4 or Xbox One) I don't have friends that play consoles so that factor is out.

CoG

PS4 definitely hits 10M first. Even with $300 + 2 games + controller deals on BF MS won't close the gap in 2015.

The lead has decreased.

raw

Walpurgis

Banned
Responding to a dumbass, misinformed comment doesn't make them touchy though. It's like calling anyone who disagrees with an opinion "defensive", it doesn't make sense. It almost seems as if you're tag fishing with your constant negativity, tbh.

Why are people calling me negative? Is it because I criticise Sony? I'm not a fanboy. I call them out on stuff that I don't like (which is a lot but they deserve that). It's that simple.

Good, if you bought an Xbox 1 after knowing about the red rings many of the Xbox 360s had you'd be a fool to stick with them for another console.

I don't get it? As soon as they figured out this problems, CEO of MS (not xbox division head) made a huge point of fixing it, clearing the use of billions of dollars to address the problem.

anyway, that's a big number. A lot of people have bought a quality console.

grimmiq

Reading these numbers is making it harder and harder for me to decide which console to get (PS4 or Xbox One) I don't have friends that play consoles so that factor is out.

Don't base your console purchase on which is selling more. Look at the games/services/features.

Price comparisons would be great when comparing sales from the 2 generations, but last gen's consoles didn't really have to deal with cross-gen games in the same way. Fifa 16, NBA 2k16, Madden 16, MGSV, CODBLOPS3,Destiny, Tomb Raider, Persona. New entries in big franchises/genres still on old gen consoles surely has to be partially responsible for the closing of the gap.

Wii has sold 908 million pieces of software. That's about 9 games per console on average. So for every grandparent with Wii who bought only Wii Sports there was a gamer who bought 17+ games to make this average come true.

Conclusion: your assumption is horse shit.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

Does that include pack-ins?

Edit: It does. Per IGN

Wii’s attach rate flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that many people didn’t purchase games outside of a few big titles, though it’s important to note that Nintendo appears to count Wii Sports – a bundle-in – as a game sold.

Wii Fit 2007 22.67 Million
Wii Fit Plus 2009 20.86 Million
Wii Play 2006 28.02 Million
Wii Sports 2006 81.99 Million
Wii Sports Resort 2009 31.89 Million

That's almost 200 million of that software right there.

sörine

Banned
As soon there's a period when sales are down, everybody likes to think the market is in danger. I don't understand it.
I mean, that might have something to do with said "down period" now seeming to encompass January through October. Also, some people like to include actual market leaders like PS2 and Wii when making comparisons and analyzing industry health.

A.J.

Banned
It will be interesting to see if the percentage continues to decline like this. Though I wouldn't say it is dim until the line crosses.

CoG

I don't get it? As soon as they figured out this problems, CEO of MS (not xbox division head) made a huge point of fixing it, clearing the use of billions of dollars to address the problem.

anyway, that's a big number. A lot of people have bought a quality console.

Shipping consoles off to Texas to be patched up on top of the same design flaw was not exactly fixing anything as evident in folks going through multiple RRoD rounds. If they really wanted to fix the problem they should have replaced the faulty consoles with a brand new one with the new design. The whole RRoD debacle caused me to lose trust in Microsoft products.

Taurus

Do pack ins games count as "sales"? That always seems questioned when talking about other systems. It never seems to be brought up when talking about Wii.
Wii Sports was sold separately in Japan. Sony and MS also bundle heavily games with their systems and they count as software sales, this is nothing new.

RowdyReverb

It will be interesting to see if the percentage continues to decline like this. Though I wouldn't say it is dim until the line crosses.
I think we'd see some drastic measures before either company let that happen. They don't want investors getting spooked.

grimmiq

Did you intentionally leave out performance?

No, but shouldn't that fall under "games"? After all, I didn't say "Exclusives". I'm not looking to get into an argument over this bullshit, though for the record I've had a PS4 since launch and still waiting on the price to drop further/Scalebound to get an XB1.

Lothars

Funny I could say the same for Sony with their disk read error bullshit on the PS2. Although they were lucky enough to get my money for the PS3 that has PS2 backwards compatibility before they were about to remove it.
PS2 disk read error wasn't that widespread, You can pretend it is but that doesn't make it fact. Xbox 360 red ring was prevelant and widespread that pretty much if you had a elite / original 360, it would red ring. The slim fixed this or at least seemed to for the majority of systems but it was a big issue until than.

orochi91

OP, maybe you should hang around in sales threads more often?

Your assumptions are off the mark, considering the price-cuts to come and software to be released the coming few years.

These consoles are hitting their strides, well the PS4 at least.

It would have been prudent to hold off on making this thread until this holiday season passed, in order to gauge the gap with last gen, considering we're getting minor price-cuts and big AAA software this season.

stryke

Sorry if I missed it but what is the worldwide breakdown of PS4's install base?

Worldwide data is hard to come by

PS4 Worldwide
USA: ~7.800.000 (end of May 2015)
UK: 2.000.000 (end of April 2015)
DE: 1.600.000 (end of March 2015)
JP: 1.440.000 (mid of June 2015)
FR.: 1.100.000 (end of December 2014)
Middle East: ~1.000.000 (beginning of the year 2015)
IT: ~925.000 (end of April 2015)
ES: 700.000 (mid of June 2015)
Nordic: 500.000 (end of December 2014)
AU: >200.000 (beginning of the year 2015)
PT: 100.000 (end of April 2015)
China: 73.000 (end of April 2015)
India: 4.500 (Beginning of Dec 2014, 2 weeks of sales) thx 1st Course

Total: 17.442.500

Taurus

Does that include pack-ins?

Edit: It does. Per IGN
You can leave Wii Sports out of your calculations if you want (remember to do this with other systems too), and it still says Wii owners bought 8 games per sold console on average.

900 million+ pieces of software. Let that sink in for a moment.

I'm still a little shocked by the response to my original comment in the OP. I don't participate in much Sales-GAF discussions so I didn't know that you guys were so touchy. o_O
Actually, you are the touchy one. Couldn't handle the negativity to your post so you removed it. Now doubling down that everyone else is wrong. Quit yer bitchin'!

You can leave Wii Sports out of your calculations if you want (remember to do this with other systems too), and it still says Wii owners bought 8 games per sold console on average.

900 million+ pieces of software. Let that sink in for a moment.

Did you see what 200 million of that was? So the real attach rate is prob around 7 to 1.

Top Bottom