• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

jwk94

Do PSNow Games have trophies?

You get trophies from PS Now games, right? Do we know if these add to existing trophy lists, or if they'll be a new trophy list? The only reason I ask is to try and ascertain whether I can abandon some of my backlog with the intention of picking it up again next gen, or if it'll screw up trophies maybe I'll just try to finish up these games while I still have my PS3 set up.

Yes there's trophy support. You're literally playing a PS3 game over the internet. Your saved data is sent to the PS+ cloud save which means you could retrieve your already existing data from the cloud or pick up where you left off on a ps3 if you wanted to.

shandy706

Confirmed?

I'm in.

Yes, I earned them while playing God of War in the Beta...on my Vita.

Also, I'm in on this as soon as we get a full version on Vita.

It blew me away how well it worked. Did not expect it to work as well as it did. I really want to play TLoU on my Vita though, hopefully the library grows quickly.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Glad they didn't fuck up the price. Still not sure if I'm more interested in seeing an expanded PS3 library (200 total games), or the addition of a grand PS1/2 catalogue.

I guess if they added both those I could see myself paying for the service 4-5 times a year.
PS2 absolutely has to come at some point. Expanding the PS3 library should be the priority at first but getting PS2 classics wil be really really good and is something I'm really excited for. I can see why they probably wont bother with PS1 though. In an perfect world PS Now would have games from all heir classic systems including PS1 and PSP, butI don't see that happening.

vg260

I dunno. If I never buy another game, I have enough games in my backlog or favorites I want to revisit/master that I'll never be at a loss for something to play. The idea seems good, but that appeal of the service doesn't necessary warrant the price for something that won't run locally. With that in mind, the pricing even for a subscription doesn't really seem worth it to me, so I can't really tell what's a realistic price for this.

RDreamer

Not an awful price, but the selection now is kind of blah. I'm sure they'll add some more stuff and it'll be pretty enticing after a while.

Rosur

That 3 months package isn't bad. If it comes to the UK I'll probably subscribe to that price, after testing it works okay. Hopefully means £30 in the UK.

Storm360

Yeah I misinterpreted what you were saying. Sony needs to focus on rolling it out to more non ps devices.

That's the only real way I see PS Now having a advantage, I understand if you just have a passing interest in gaming or something, but if you're remotely serious I don't see why you wouldn't get a dedicated console set up, I can't imagine playing something like MGS 4, getting half way through and having it pulled from the service, this is why streaming gaming will never work in my book, it's not like a movie, games aren't designed to be sat and beat in a hour.

Kosma

Banned
Damn right it is. People acting like this is a "good deal" don't know what the fuck they're talking about and deserve to be called out on it.

u mad ?

tumblr_mt9y36Gp7l1qfbsl5o2_400.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What are the prices for other major subscritpion services (inside and outside of gaming)? The first impression I have is that 19.99 per month /44.99 for three months seems too high, and there should be a special discount for PS+ owners. Still, I want to know how it compares to other services in order to give a better judgement.

Jotaka

I dunno. If I never buy another game, I have enough games in my backlog or favorites I want to revisit/master that I'll never be at a loss for something to play. The idea seems good, but that appeal of the service doesn't necessary warrant the price for something that won't run locally. With that in mind, the pricing even for a subscription doesn't really seem worth it to me, so I can't really tell what's a realistic price for this.

Most people here think PS Now is like netflix... I have an analogy PS Now is more like renting a VPS than a shared web hosting package .

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not yet

From OP

"The subscription service will be available first on PS4 across North America, and will come to other PlayStation Now enabled devices in the future."
Wait, what? If the games and service are available on Vita in NA already, what is it that's stopping the sub model from applying to that too? Surely it's an account thing, and whatyou pay for will apply to all platforms PS Now is available on.

nsignific

Banned
Wow. So SONY's promised answer to providing a backwards compatibility option is to market a subscription service to some nebulous demographic that never played PS3 and charge money for it.

And people are okay with this.

Okay...

Yeah, this! Wasn't PS NOW supposed to be their backwards compatibility solution, lol.

The way they're marketing this now it's anything but (targetting people who've never owned a PS3).

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's the only real way I see PS Now having a advantage, I understand if you just have a passing interest in gaming or something, but if you're remotely serious I don't see why you wouldn't get a dedicated console set up, I can't imagine playing something like MGS 4, getting half way through and having it pulled from the service, this is why streaming gaming will never work in my book, it's not like a movie, games aren't designed to be sat and beat in a hour.

Netflix pull series when people could be half way through them, it is no different. As long as they clearly make available when a game is due to be removed (as Netflix do) it's not a problem.

A question about PS Now, does it offer save states? Or is everything done through a traditional save file system? If they could implement that it would be a game changer.

Bl@de

So people are okay with paying 20$/month for backwards compability?

Wow...

I prefer the PC/Nintendo model but okay... It's everyones decision

yurinka

$15/month pricing seems decent, let's hope they keep adding new games and platforms to stream quickly.

Would be nice a $99 yearly subscription too.
So people are okay with paying 20$/month for backwards compability?

Wow...

I prefer the PC/Nintendo model but okay... It's everyones decision
It isn't the same. Here the games are streamed(so the quality is worse), but not to the console only: it works in Vita, tvs, tablets, etc so you'll be able to use it in many places, and not only at home.

And you don't need to own the games so you'll save a good amount of money depending on the number of games you want to play there.

Both the library, territories and number of platforms supported will grow with months, so it will be interesting for people who doesn't want to have old games at home or didn't have a PS3.

I'll wait for them to add PS2 and PS1 games. Then it might be compelling.
As I remember they said that their plans were to keep adding catalogue, with the idea of having the full Playstation history there in the future.

To add the games emulated en BC PS3s wouldn't cost them too much if they have rights to include the games.

Mikey Jr.

What are the prices for other major subscritpion services (inside and outside of gaming)? The first impression I have is that 19.99 per month /44.99 for three months seems too high, and there should be a special discount for PS+ owners. Still, I want to know how it compares to other services in order to give a better judgement.

Ea access is 5 a month, but mind you, that's just for a handful of ea games.

That isn't bad at all! I think I'll throw down for the 3 month plan, bunch of games I missed and my PS3 is being put out to retirement - it has served me well but the old girl is on her last legs.

jwk94

Wait, what? If the games and service are available on Vita in NA already, what is it that's stopping the sub model from applying to that too? Surely it's an account thing, and whatyou pay for will apply to all platforms PS Now is available on.

THe PS Now sub is tied to an app which will be available at launch. That app will roll out to other devices at a later date, i guess.

Dynoro

Depending on the UK cost I will give it a try to catch up on some of the PS3 games I missed. My main worry is I will feel I need to use PSNow a lot to justify the cost though - assuming its about 15squid that equates to a new game every 2 months.

Zia

The issue is that services like Netflix and Hulu charge ten-ish dollars a month and, unlike games, films and TV are easily consumable. This is twice the price of that, with a minuscule library, several titles of which I've experienced streaming issues with, and it's a terrible value unless you're a shut-in obsessive or someone that just wants to dabble in a superficial manner. The average person isn't going to play more than a game a month using this service, particularly if they own other platforms.

The PSNow selection is weak in games I either haven't played or would want to play, so the value isn't there for me yet. I have tried and was able to finish Catherine several months ago though, so I am impressed with the tech.

Storm360

Netflix pull series when people could be half way through them, it is no different. As long as they clearly make available when a game is due to be removed (as Netflix do) it's not a problem.

Eh, TV series are alot easier to watch than to play a game though and your save files are gonna be tied to the PS now version of a game.

If I'm watching a show on netflix and it gets pulled before I get a chance to finish it, I can pick up the blu-ray version and start directly on the episode i left off on.

If i'm playing MGS 4 and it gets pulled half way through it, I need to get a physical copy and start from scratch

ptuck874

would might consider during some down time when no good releases or bored with what I have going on now.....

mekes

More expensive than I thought it would be. I think they are over shooting on that price personally and I expect the service to be a failure.

Being able to play PS3 games ( and hopefully eventually PS1/PS2 games ) on my PS4, using my DS4, without having to have another system plugged into the entertainment center and without having to switch HDMI's and all that jazz is fantastic to me.

We'll see what the library looks like sometime during the summer of this year. As it is right now I'm fine with just grabbing games as I feel like playing them.

There is so much coming to the PS4 I doubt I will have much time for older PS3 games. Unless they put up Demons Souls. Then that will grab my attention. Or God of War 3 or Ni No Kuni or Folklore or something like that.

TomShoe

Banned
They should make it so you always pay the lowest price.

Start off by picking and choosing a game, and just play for as long as you like. If you play for an hour, you pay for an hour. If you play a few different games and the overall cost gets to be $20, then it caps the cost at $20 and gives you full access to the catalog like a subscription would.

This is assuming that Sony wants to give away free money.

nsignific

Banned
I don't know about this.č

For $20/€20 you can get up to 4 physical games and I'll bet nobody can play that many in a month (on top of anything else you may be playing).

The deal is just not worth it, it's weird so few see this. Maybe used PS3 games are a lot more expensive where you guys are from?

In any case, this'll drive down used games prices even further, so it's good for something, at least (as far as I'm concerned).

Noobcraft

$180 a year. I might try a month when something like Uncharted/2/3 make it to the service. Long term the value isn't there for me though especially at $180/year.

Rosur

Depending on the UK cost I will give it a try to catch up on some of the PS3 games I missed. My main worry is I will feel I need to use PSNow a lot to justify the cost though - assuming its about 15squid that equates to a new game every 2 months.

This is gonna be my problem when it finally comes to the UK, due to playing new games and clearing games in backlog... I'll probably end up doing a month sub every now and then rather than it keep it on auto renewal (hopefully they do subscription cards for this like ps+).

Also, I forgot. Sony must provided a FREE streaming service for PS3 titles you already own.
It's not too difficult to implement. Just check the trophy list and unlock that particular game for streaming. For free.
This would be a way to offer backward compatibility.
But they won't probably do it.
Have you ever heard of renting a game? Borrowing or renting a game doesn't stop it from showing up in your trophy list and doesn't prove you own it.

Derpyduck

Banned
The combination of the terrible price, the questionable selection, and the sketchy streaming quality means I'm going to say thanks, but no thanks.

nsignific

Banned
That isn't bad at all! I think I'll throw down for the 3 month plan, bunch of games I missed and my PS3 is being put out to retirement - it has served me well but the old girl is on her last legs.

Weird how some of you accept that as normal when all my consoles from the famicom onwards (up to PS2) work perfectly fine still, after all these years (decades).

We never should've settled for this low level of quality, but here we are and what's done is done.

ClearData

I'm glad they didn't roll this into PS+ as that surely would have induced a price hike. I still own and use my PS3. So this isn't for me yet.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I own 2 PS3s (and have a load of digital games on them already). Despite that I have limited space in my living room (I own every console) so I would welcome being able to retire my PS3 also being abl eto play something like Ni No Kuni on my Vita would be awesome.

My only concern is that whilst $20 / month is not extortionate, there would be busy 'now gen' months where I would not get that value from it, and psychologically I would question why I paid for a service I didn't use from month to month. I think it is for this reason Sony should definitely offer an annual sub so I can (in my mind) reason that on average over the year I will get that value from it, pay for it and be done without having a monthly reminder that maybe I didn't get my value from it.

Hikami

I'm okay with the price but, not that many games I'm interested in from that list.. and PS4 only for now huh.

I'll subscribe when they add more games/Vita support. Would love to play Tales of Xillia and whatever other tales games there are on PS3.

Cornbread78

Okay wow people are bitching about the price when it's basically Gamefly prices with zero waiting and 100+ games at your finger tips instead of one at a time. I'm convinced there is no reasonable price point Sony could possibly strike without massive whining.

Pretty much, everyone won't be happy regardless unless it's free. Each player has their own perception of value...

Top Bottom