• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus increasing in price to $59.99 usd/$69.99 cad starting Sept 22

You're getting a lot more than online play with the subscription. I am not that big on playing online (if that's all PS+ was I wouldn't bother with yearly subs) I do however love the 6 games a month and continuing access to the 100+ games I got previously, I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with cloud saves (10GB), the discounts on games save a bob or two and share play is surprisingly fun.

You might not care about all that in which case, too bad. That doesn't mean the additional value isn't there.

Most people will only be able to access 2-4 games because the Vita isn't much of a sales hit. And the games are often worthless. Tropico and NBA 2K15 were foreshadowing an end to the endless supply of cheap indie garbage and Furi was a higher quality indie than normal, but then it went back to shit.

September is Sony's chance to show some better stuff. With this price hike it'll be decision time for anyone who doesn't play online on PS4.

Cloud saves only went up to 1GB last gen and share play wasn't a thing but that's neither here nor there. You are misrepresenting PS+ by calling it a mere online play paywall when it is a lot more than that. The value of PS+ is the complete package.

It's an online play paywall. The drop in quality is obvious for everyone who was subscribed in 2012-2013. That's me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cloud saves only went up to 1GB last gen and share play wasn't a thing but that's neither here nor there. You are misrepresenting PS+ by calling it a mere online play paywall when it is a lot more than that. The value of PS+ is the complete package.

I think you're forgetting that online gaming was added to the existing PlayStation Plus service. Not the other way around.

Edit: Last generation gamers paid nothing to play their games online. If they saw value in Plus they could opt in. Now they have no choice. If they want to play online they're forced to pay for Plus now. That's not adding value. That's an online paywall.

mejin

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand and you know it.

2 of the 3 manufacturers charge and have online paywall for their systems. But Nintendo is not in a stage where they can charge yet. Maybe they will charge later, maybe not. You're right nothing to do with this topic.

It's just a business decision in the end. And I expected Sony to push $60 price in 2013, they are 3 years late in my book.

I don't agree with it and I'm not defense force of online paywall. I basically sign Plus for the extra promos and discounts which is more than enough to cover $50,$60 a year IMO.

Anyway, here in Brazil we have 1 year Plus = R$100 and it will be up to R$130. Almost U$40 for us.

Xilo

I'm primarily a PS4 gamer but there already wasn't enough value in PS Plus for me. I subbed out of habit but raising the price will be the end us ps plus for me.

EmiPrime

Most people will only be able to access 2-4 games because the Vita isn't much of a sales hit. And the games are often worthless. Tropico and NBA 2K15 were foreshadowing an end to the endless supply of cheap indie garbage and Furi was a higher quality indie than normal, but then it went back to shit.

September is Sony's chance to show some better stuff. With this price hike it'll be decision time for anyone who doesn't play online on PS4.

It's an online play paywall. The drop in quality is obvious for everyone who was subscribed in 2012-2013. That's me.

We're not going to find any common ground if you think indie games are garbage, worthless and shit, to use your words.

I wouldn't want to play Tropico without a mouse, I'd rather play Fez, Hotline Miami or SteamWorld Dig with a controller to name a few PS+ indies but it takes all sorts I guess.

Saberus

Just bought 1 year from Costco Canada for 46.00 Canadian.. better get it done before the increase, least I'm good for 1 year.

Chobel

I don't think anyone is defending it. what some people are doing is explaining why they aren't grabbing their pitchforks

Oops, I should have been more specific in my post, I didn't mean to generalize.

I was talking about guys like John Wick... Ok, more like exactly him, his posts definitely appear to belong to the "defense" side.

Caayn

Sony is the only that's charging for cloud saves, and have a limited space on top of that. Microsoft offers unlimited cloud space for free, Uplay offers unlimited cloud space for free, Steam offers unlimited cloud space for free, etc.

Anyone a website where I can buy 2-3 yearly cards for Canadians?

Bestbuy.ca had $50 PSN cards last night but they are unfortunately sold out today. It's $20 off when you spend $100 or more using Visa Checkout. So I will use the two cards I bought yesterday to get two years of PS+ for $40 each year. Hopefully for you they come back in stock soon.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony is the only that's charging for cloud saves, and have a limited space on top of that. Microsoft offers unlimited cloud space for free, Uplay offers unlimited cloud space for free, Steam offers unlimited cloud space for free, etc.

cough....

Set up cloud storage for saved games

To use cloud storage for your saved games, you need:

An Xbox Live Gold subscription
A console connected to the Xbox Live service
514 megabytes (MB) of storage space on your console (local cache)
Step 1: Turn on Cloud Saved Games (for a console)

From the Xbox Dashboard, go to settings, and then select System.
Select Storage, and then select Cloud Saved Games.
Select Enable Cloud Saved Games.

Cloud Storage for xbox

Unless your silver member ship changed and gives you that, the link and the info I quoted is from xbox.com says you need a payed gold account. So am I wrong, or do you not know what your talking about?

joebruin

still think there is some service update announcement related to this for playstation meeting. easy allies made a good point about how enduring the bad press for a few weeks and the announcing some improvements to the service might actually work out better than

one of those...oh hey i guess its not that bad kind of things after people have had some time to process it...whereas announcing everything all at once the price increase is going to overshadow whatever updates they announce.

that's just me trying to be optimistic though lol

Papacheeks

Banned
It is unlimited. What you quoted is how much space is required on your console locally for caching purposes.

The previous poster's question was PS+ you pay for cloud storage which is 10gb's. Though it is unlimited it clearly states it requires a paid subscription of xbox live for cloud storage regardless if it's unlimited, your still paying for it. So him trying to make a negative he was wrong 100% that it's free for xbox.

Your pay for cloud storage by both companies.

KiteGr

No increase in Europe huh?

I guess they wanted to balance the price, as the Euro is higher than the dollar, and instead of reducing the European price, they uped the Amerikan.

John Wick

This is one of the weakest arguments ever used. The problem is that plenty of games have a significant portion held hostage behind PS+. So even if a person doesn't want to use PS+ they're still forced to used it or give up on a significant portion of their game.

Simples really.

Then why would you get into the PlayStation ecosystem knowing that online is behind a paywall? Makes no sense

Aenima

If they want to play online they're forced to pay for Plus now. That's not adding value. That's an online paywall.

For that, you have to thank Microsoft and all the players that made Xbox Life a very profitable service.
Sony as a company that is in the business to make money, just joined the profit ride.

Now is a bit too late to cry about it. And whit the amout of paying subscribers PS+ has now, and the extra profits the PS+ is giving it just shows they was right to put a paywall on online play as it seems ppl dont care.

Im paying for plus because as a service i see value on it, i get some disconts, monthly games to 2 consoles i own (4-5 games a month), and cloud saves. Paying to play online is not really something i see as extra value as it should be for free. But thats the way the business whent and will stay untill it stops giving a profit.

If you disapproved of paying for online then maybe some outrage should have happened back in 2013. The horse has left the stable and all that. Forget about this ever changing for XBOX/PS consoles.

Caayn

cough....

Cloud Storage for xbox

Unless your silver member ship changed and gives you that, the link and the info I quoted is from xbox.com says you need a payed gold account. So am I wrong, or do you not know what your talking about?
Good, you found the 360 page, now check the XB1 page.
Then why would you get into the PlayStation ecosystem knowing that online is behind a paywall? Makes no sense
That's why I no longer buy PS games unless they don't release anywhere else. And if they're multiplayer oriented I skip them all together.

I should be able to get a PS+ code from amazon before the increase and not use it until much later right? I may just do that and then activate it as I get a online game. Which may be soon, or maybe not until sometime next year. I really need that NX price before making decisions but thats not likely coming before the 22nd. :/

Papacheeks

Banned
That's why I no longer buy PS games unless they don't release anywhere else. And if they're multiplayer oriented I skip them all together.

I stand corrected, i just clicked on support for xbox cloud storage.

So you skip xbox as well right?

This is absolutely fucking ridiculous. They're screwing people over just because they can, and there's no reason it needs to be $70 CAD.

Unless you play online a lot, you're just paying for the Plus games, albeit at a discount.

John Wick

So what's the justification for the price increase? Keep your free games and bloatware for a higher tier. Let people use the basic function of their purchased console for free.

Maybe one of the factors is cost of running it?
Improving online infrastructure?
Inflation?
Exchange rates?
Matching a competitor?
Maybe others

John Wick

In regards to MP it's always been the same price on PS3. I doubt it cost Sony a fortune.

No your right. It must have cost Sony nothing. They lost billions in the PS3 generation. Did you ever think that the online service contributed to them losing billions?

NeoTracer

Neo Member
The previous poster's question was PS+ you pay for cloud storage which is 10gb's. Though it is unlimited it clearly states it requires a paid subscription of xbox live for cloud storage regardless if it's unlimited, your still paying for it. So him trying to make a negative he was wrong 100% that it's free for xbox.

Your pay for cloud storage by both companies.

The xbox live cloud storage on the xbox one (for game saves) is free, regardless if you are xbox gold or free member.

Xbox One Cloud Game Saves FAQs

But back on topic, maybe the price hike is to help cover R&D costs of the Neo and PSVR? However, I don't know why they did it now in the US and Canada. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the price hike the same time as the UK last year?

John Wick

Oops, I should have been more specific in my post, I didn't mean to generalize.

I was talking about guys like John Wick... Ok, more like exactly him, his posts definitely appear to belong to the "defense" side.

It's nothing like defense. Having a balanced argument is one thing but stating nonsense is another. I'm not getting my pitchfork out because Sony raised PS+ by $10. Sure I'd love it to be free but it isn't. Prices increase time to time. Majority of things have increased in price.
The PC community happily pay Nvidia over the odds for their GPU's and Gsync monitors don't they? Why is the GTX 1080 over £600+ at launch when the previous equivalent card was only £500? Why are Gsync monitors far more expensive than Freesync ones? Because Nvidia can get away with it. These same people will happily pay the extra but are causing a storm over $10 increase.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Personally I think PS+ is great value just for the free games, it's the reason I subscribe to the service. I was disgusted at the idea of paying for playing online and refused to pay for XBL last gen for that reason, but now I buy that as well because the free games and MS are doing a great job on that.

For those that don't like online gaming being behind a paywall, unfortunately the market spoke last gen as so many people were willing to do it for XBL. Sony saw that and figured that it would not hurt their reputation. The only way to reverse the trend is to stop subscribing to the services I guess.

I think the messaging around this could possibly be better, but I also wonder if Sony are going to announce features/benefits for PSN at the Sep 7 event which may alleviate people's concerns.

I think the messaging around this could possibly be better, but I also wonder if Sony are going to announce features/benefits for PSN at the Sep 7 event which may alleviate people's concerns.

Sony shouldn't never announce the price increase until Sept 7. That way they can announce the price increase and then say why they are increasing it.

They way they did it is just bad PR IMO.

But what will make it worse on Sept 7 is if they just said that they are adding free VR games for PS + and that's it. Adding free VR games only is not worth the extra 20 bucks a year IMO.

i think i depends on the region of the Plus subscription. Some region does a half-ass job adding games in their library so Plus can't update the games because it is not available in their region..

btw, Steam also auto update games once you sign-in.

Doesn't the ps4 only turn on once per night to check for updates and all that stuff? Meaning that if an update comes out after that time, the update won't pop up til you sign on or the next night.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's what I love about elitist PC gamers. They'll happily pay over the odds to Nvidia for GTX1080,70 and Titan etc. Or for Gsync on their monitor but paying an increase of $10 for the year is seen as a big rip-off huh??? I wonder how much your favourite company is ripping you off for your Components??? The cards aren't even yet selling at their MSRP.
Also you can get PSN cards much cheaper than $60 quite easily. I've never paid more than £35 in the UK for PS+.

Buying a new graphic card for PC is akin to buying a new console. You only do that every 5-7 years. paying $60 for online when online feature is free on PC does seems like a big rip-off.

Besides, they are increasing cost here without a proper reason.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think you're forgetting that online gaming was added to the existing PlayStation Plus service. Not the other way around.

Edit: Last generation gamers paid nothing to play their games online. If they saw value in Plus they could opt in. Now they have no choice. If they want to play online they're forced to pay for Plus now. That's not adding value. That's an online paywall.

well yah. Imagine PS5 doesn't have a one year free warranty unless you are a PS plus members. That's not adding value. That's building paywall (to the warranty) to give the members the illusion that the membership has got more values.

MUnited83

For you.

You mean the cloud saves that are completely free and unlimited on Xbox Live, and 1GB per game on Steam(although on Steam the developer has to implement it specifically)

Maybe one of the factors is cost of running it?
Improving online infrastructure?
Inflation?
Exchange rates?
Matching a competitor?
Maybe others
Nah, there's one single factor. Dat tasty free money.

Top Bottom