• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus increasing in price to $59.99 usd/$69.99 cad starting Sept 22

spliced

I hate the paying for online thing because it damages the experience because less people are playing online even if I pay to play online. I actually played basically the same game(Dark Souls 2) on both PS3 and PS4 recently and ran into more people on the PS3 version.

Curufinwe

I hate the paying for online thing because it damages the experience because less people are playing online even if I pay to play online. I actually played basically the same game(Dark Souls 2) on both PS3 and PS4 recently and ran into more people on the PS3 version.

That's probably because DS3 is not on the PS3.

Wasn't the PS3 version of DS2 out a year earlier?
That and the install base for the older systems is technically higher so you're likely to find more players there out of sheer percentage of players owning it.
Oh and not everyone buys remasters for newer systems.

spliced

That's probably because DS3 is not on the PS3.

I played before also and it was the same thing.

Wasn't the PS3 version of DS2 out a year earlier?
That and the install base for the older systems is technically higher so you're likely to find more players there out of sheer percentage of players owning it.
Oh and not everyone buys remasters for newer systems.

Yup PS3 version is even older and yet still has more players. Lots of the people who bought a PS3 now have a PS4 and use that, so while install base is bigger when it comes to actual current use that's a different thing. It's true the old game sold more but I don't think that alone can explain the numbers difference I saw.

Sorry for the bump, but my Plus subscription ran out and now I'm faced with the re-up dilemma. Other than the cloud saves, I haven't really needed Plus in the past year. The "free" games for the most part haven't interested me.

So my question is, what games in the next 6 months to a year will likely require PS Plus for online play?

Sorry for the bump, but my Plus subscription ran out and now I'm faced with the re-up dilemma. Other than the cloud saves, I haven't really needed Plus in the past year. The "free" games for the most part haven't interested me.

So my question is, what games in the next 6 months to a year will likely require PS Plus for online play?
All of them except online MMOs and select Free-To-Play games I think?

Bowl0l

FFXV season pass promises online play in the future.
All FPS games.

what games in the next 6 months to a year will likely require PS Plus for online play?

Here is the official Playstation site quote about this:
You also do not need to be a member of PlayStation Plus to play non-synchronous games on the PlayStation 4. Synchronous games are games where two consoles need to be synched up to communicate with each other in real time - for example if you are playing co-op or competition mode on a shooting or racing game. Non-synchronous games mean that the two consoles do not need to be communicating in real time – for example when playing turn based games like chess.
https://www.playstation.com/en-au/g...lus-membership-and-playstation-4-online-play/

I'm an Aussie using a US PSN account. Normally buy my PS+ codes from Amazon but is there anywhere you can get them cheaper and not require a US payment/shipping address? Seems incredibly easy to buy Xbox Gold anywhere in the world but not PS+

If I can't find an alternative soon I'll probably just pick up a couple from Amazon before the price increase.

FDC1

For France-GAF, there is an offer starting today on boulanger.com, 15 months of ps+ for the price of 12 (a 3-month code is given when you buy a 12-month one)

IvanJ

Banned

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, not for the codes at least.
Awesome, thanks. Bought two cards/codes.

I wonder if I can wait before redeeming them. My subscriptions will only lapse next year, and I'd like to let it lapse and only re-sub during a month where the games interest me... I bet they expire though. -_-

Cloud saving is basic functionality that should be available to everyone. Alas, this is not the world we live in.

Because the service is free!

Seriously, I would never expect that to be a free service unless it was subsidized in some other form and/or it was a reaaaaally small amount of space.

Guevara

All this means for me, is that I'll be even slower to buy any indie game that might, some day, be on PS+.

Doesn't help that the new standard indie price is $19.99. But that's ok, I'm patient.

Caayn

Because the service is free!

Seriously, I would never expect that to be a free service unless it was subsidized in some other form and/or it was a reaaaaally small amount of space.
It shouldn't need to be. Save files shouldn't take much space* and with each game a person owns the platform owners receives royalties thanks to license fees paid by the publisher. The more games you own, the more saves you have the more royalties Sony has received from your purchases.

Microsoft(XB1), Ubisoft(Uplay) and Valve(Steam) for example all offer free cloud space for save games. Sony is the only one that charges their costumers for cloud storage.

*I'm still amazed that PS4 save files take >10MB whereas the same game on XB1/PC has a much smaller save file.

Oneself

I got an email asking me to agree with the new price or cancel ... Is this normal? I have like 2-3 years pre-paid already.

Awesome, thanks. Bought two cards/codes.

I wonder if I can wait before redeeming them. My subscriptions will only lapse next year, and I'd like to let it lapse and only re-sub during a month where the games interest me... I bet they expire though. -_-

Are you in the States and a Costco member? I looked on costco.ca and seen them for $45.99. A previous poster said you didn't need to be a member but I was curious if this works for US non-members...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Are you in the States and a Costco member? I looked on costco.ca and seen them for $45.99. A previous poster said you didn't need to be a member but I was curious if this works for US non-members...
Non-member, Canadian. I went to Costco.ca and they were $45.99, no sales tax. Pretty good deal.
I don't know about the US site.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused too. I don't think it's actually $40 from Costco. It is $46. I did however get 2 years from Best Buy.ca for $40 each through their Visa Checkout promo (PSN cards used for PS+).

Ah, gotcha. It looks like we are both gearing up for Destiny, huh?

So I didn't see the entire Playstation Meeting conference.

Did they mention anything specific regarding PS+? Improvements or new features?

LightInfa

Now I'm really mad because I just realized the free month Sony gave me pushed me from renewing at the old price to renewing at the new price- so essentially I have to pay $10 extra for the "free" month.

Now I'm really mad because I just realized the free month Sony gave me pushed me from renewing at the old price to renewing at the new price- so essentially I have to pay $10 extra for the "free" month.

Ouch...that's a crappy coincidence. I wonder if they would help you out if you e-mailed or called their customer service. You are basically paying $10 for that free month. But on the other hand they aren't forcing you to renew at the new rate.

netguy503

I thought a "GAF insider" said we would know the reason for the price increase soon and we would be pleased by it (he was also surprised it wasn't announced with the price increase). I assumed it would be at this meeting. What gives?

leroidys

You can get a year code off of amazon or something now.

LightInfa

Ouch...that's a crappy coincidence. I wonder if they would help you out if you e-mailed or called their customer service. You are basically paying $10 for that free month. But on the other hand they aren't forcing you to renew at the new rate.

You can get a year code off of amazon or something now.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll hit them up and if that doesn't work just turn to amazon! In all honesty probably wasn't going to renew and then Battlefield 1 beta came around and had to be all awesome...

I have PS+ in Canada... might be moving to the US next year. The membership will still be valid and whatnot right? Thinking of adding an extra year today.

Top Bottom