• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR comes with a powerful processing i.e. the break out box

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sony aren't going to offer a premium ps4 with better specs, it'll just split the user base and make development even harder than it already is. It's clear the VR box is only for the headset, and not to "boost" the PS4 beyond its original configuration.

BumRush

Sony aren't going to offer a premium ps4 with better specs, it'll just split the user base and make development even harder than it already is. It's clear the VR box is only for the headset, and not to "boost" the PS4 beyond its original configuration.

What about a box that boosts performance in VR mode though? How would that hurt?

I think it does more than what you guys are saying.
1. Why would he say it will reduce the latency?
2. We will make it more powerful?
3. we knew about the converting switching for tv and 3d audio
4. does a lot of heavy lifting for the PSVR

I think you guys need to listen at what he said at the 14min 28sec mark. Doesn't sound like what y'all are guessing at

Nzyme32

Pretty clever way to boost PS4 performance without forcing in a separate expansion pack. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

"Powerful VR Processing Unit" is the breakout box, that likely also carries out the reprojection and maybe barrel processing. It's not likely to give any other advantages in terms of performance for normal gaming.

bj00rn_

Banned
Eh, haha, no.. "the revelation".. good god.... Sony does good things here with what they have, but ffs op, you messed this up with your title and the odd focus on the break out box as a secret sauce "revelation". The thread would be much better off without.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think it does more than what you guys are saying.
1. Why would he say it will reduce the latency?
2. We will make it more powerful?
3. we knew about the converting switching for tv and 3d audio

I think you guys need to listen at what he said at the 14min 28sec mark. Doesn't sound like what y'all are guessing at
I'm going to go with what Shu and Dr. Marks are saying instead of a platform evangelist at a Unity conference.

I think believing that an external processing unit that is so far removed from the APU (bus-wise, latency) to improve the "power" is misplaced hope.

Anything it takes over is good because it leaves the PS4 more time for other tasks. That doesn't mean this silicon can be harnessed.

"Powerful VR Processing Unit" is the breakout box, that likely also carries out the reprojection and maybe barrel processing. It's not likely to give any other advantages in terms of performance for normal gaming.
Reprojection is done by the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is all it does, which is good but this is not secret GPU special sauce before this stupid stuff starts.

Well it sort of is. Assuming binaural audio is considered important, as is the 'unwarped' screen for spectators, the PU takes that processing requirement away from the PS4 so it has more of the GPU available for the rest of the game.

Those things seem sensible to farm out to the PU. I wonder if it handles any of the sensor fusion and tracking of headset/move/DS4? Perhaps not if the camera still goes direct into the PS4?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
An additional processing unit is cool, but I don't see it making up for the weaker GPU.

Weaker GPU than what? Some forms of PC? well sure. But then the fixed platform of a console definitely has advantages in terms of hitting and maintaining a target framerate. I don't know if PC devs can realistically leave that to the consumer to fiddle with detail settings, so that could be a significant overhead for them.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thread name needs to be changed into

"Playstation VR comes with a powerful 3D audio processing i.e. the break out box "

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well it sort of is. Assuming binaural audio is considered important, as is the 'unwarped' screen for spectators, the PU takes that processing requirement away from the PS4 so it has more of the GPU available for the rest of the game.

Those things seem sensible to farm out to the PU. I wonder if it handles any of the sensor fusion and tracking of headset/move/DS4? Perhaps not if the camera still goes direct into the PS4?
It is possible that farming specific VR tasks to the breakout box means less tax on the PS4 itself, but you would only see performance increases on VR titles. If it is even able to do that, if.

Nzyme32

This just needs the killer app and then I'm all in.

GT Sport anyone?

I'd be almost certain that the real "killer app" for VR on any platform will not be available for a long while and devs learn the tricks of what makes an incredible VR game / experience.

bj00rn_

Banned
I wonder why Sony is pretending that having smaller pixels at the center is such a good thing. It would be if our eyeballs was not moving.. But they are..

The small clarity center (although not technically the same because it's the optics, not the screen, the result is somewhat similar) of the Oculus DKs was one of the worst aspects of the devkits. Looking to the side and not being able to focus was a mindfuck. Looking to the side and see worse graphics, still in the center of the eyeball view, doesn't sound optimal.. I hope OVR and HTC didn't go this route on their HMDs.

"Better match to human visual system" is basically a lie in this context.

Funny seeing PlayStation VR hyped up and fans have to climb down over pricing. Y'all deluded thinking this will be some magically affordable device. They have first party studios and a plug and play solution- they can charge more than their competitors if they wanted to.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's you guessing period.

Go watch the video. When talking about PU, presenter talked mostly about splitting video streams and 3D audio processing [which he described as "heavy lifting"].

2015-11-0121_53_29-unycs3g.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

How will that split the user base?

There are options in some games for unlocked up to 60fps or locked 30fps now (which in TLoU improves shadow resolution).

They can have games boosted in resolution and fps like they do on the PC, even more so now since the consoles are very similar in architecture. That was the purpose of the hypothetical response that designer said.

Not saying it will happen, but it surely will not split the user base any more than a PC does not split the user base.

Harmen

If it is really more than just a headset, has good support and offers a semi-premium VR experience, I am in for a "console" price (350 euro tops).

Dreams and Driveclub already look very promising. I more of those type of AAA games that you can endlessly pick up from time to time will get support, as then I would consider it worth the investment.

Funny seeing PlayStation VR hyped up and fans have to climb down over pricing. Y'all deluded thinking this will be some magically affordable device. They have first party studios and a plug and play solution- they can charge more than their competitors if they wanted to.

True, but for the concept to take of they also need to hit a point where the consumers consider it worth their money. And I think that is the major challenge of VR in general as of now.

Jeels

Really hoping for $300..for the amount of tech you are getting, 300 is a great price. At 400 it will really depend on what software they are offering (for me).

Go watch the video. When talking about PU, presenter talked mostly about splitting video streams and 3D audio processing [which he described as "heavy lifting"].

2015-11-0121_53_29-unycs3g.jpg

No, at 14min 28 sec he talks about making it more powerful and reducing latency, made no reference to audio until he got to that section, you care conflating the points.

So basically reprojection means that the screen updates to account for your head movement at 120Hz or 90Hz, creating the frames that aren't being "fully" rendered via extrapolating what's in the off-screen area that your head moved to, while the rest of the world is still rendering at whatever the "true" framerate is.

ryanmac

Banned
If there's one thing that's going to kill VR, it's the price.

You could've said the same thing about smartphones. Who would've guessed the world would start paying hundreds of dollars for phones every year or two when we were getting them for free? If VR is a compelling enough piece of technology the price won't stop people from buying it.

benny_a

No, at 14min 28 sec he talks about making it more powerful and reducing latency, made no reference to audio until he got to that section, you care conflating the points.
Any task taken over by the PU means there is more time for the PS4 to do its thing.

Dr. Marks already said this thing does spatial 3D and reverse optics and converting a HDMI data stream into either a mirrored or two different HDMI video output streams. When this was said the feature set was finalized.
To do this quickly you also need specialized silicon. That doesn't mean the thing is going to nitro boost the PS4.

This title is misleading because people just start believing in secret sauce bullshit even though they always say in interviews this is not the case.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You could've said the same thing about smartphones. Who would've guessed the world would start paying hundreds of dollars for phones every year or two when we were getting them for free? If VR is a compelling enough piece of technology the price won't stop people from buying it.

I dunno, society made smartphones a necessity. That is an apples to oranges comparison.

I do think/hope Sony won't get carried away with the price, however.

Boss Man

Eh, this may be a game changer literally but it isn't figuratively. At the end of the day it's a toy and that has a lower ceiling than something like smart phones.

Bookoo

There were people who shouted down there being a second box. I remember during the whole Xbox oculus announcement the theory was floated about an external box like the ps4 was rumoured to be using, and multiple people posted that there was no box, and it was only early dev hardware that needed it.

They talked about the box since the very beginning, but originally all they have ever said about it was that it is there to un-distort the image on the headset so it looks normal on the TV.

I would be interested to hearing how much processing it is actually doing.

Blanquito

Re: the breakout box.

Dr. Richard Marks, head of the VR project, talked about what it does. Here's a thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122142

Here's the breakdown of what he said.

Thoughts on the video:

interesting that 3D audio is done in the breakaway box, and also that it does a couple of ancillary things like converting the signal to USB.

The same teams that work on Sony camera optics are working on the optics for PSVR... that helps the screen door effect to be greatly reduced for PSVR vs even DK2 (both have 1080p screen)

Great info. Loved the video.

He also, in that video, specifically says that the ps4 "doesn't have any secret sauce".

Yup, great video. The gaf thread about is linked at the top of this post.

Any task taken over by the PU means there is more time for the PS4 to do its thing.

Dr. Marks already said this thing does spatial 3D and reverse optics and converting a HDMI data stream into either a mirrored or two different HDMI video output streams. When this was said the feature set was finalized.
To do this quickly you also need specialized silicon. That doesn't mean the thing is going to nitro boost the PS4.

This title is misleading because people just start believing in secret sauce bullshit even though they always say in interviews this is not the case.

and you are citing old interviews, the SDK and the break out box has improved since then, it is a moving target just like the guy stated they will be making it more powerful.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How likely is it that Sony releases a VR-ready PS4 revision that makes this chip internal and bundles the PSVR with it?

benny_a

and you are citing old interviews, the SDK and the break out box has improved since then, it is a moving target just like the guy stated they will be making it more powerful.
Old interviews? That thing was this month and the feature set finalized.

I think this thread is highly misleading because now we'll hear from people about special sauce 2nd GPU latency reduction when they always deny this when specifically asked.

In other words you won't get an extra source of jiggaflops via USB.

I'm starting to get pretty excited about PSVR. It sounds like amazing tech that is doing it right. And the software seems to be coming along with Robinson and Rigs and Eve Valkrie and such like that with GT VR being a reality also.

Can't wait for this to hit Best Buy and such like that. Hope they wall off the kiosks so you don't look like a fool in front of the whole store though.

Old interviews? That thing was this month and the feature set finalized.

I think this thread is highly misleading because now we'll hear from people about special sauce 2nd GPU latency reduction when they always deny this when specifically asked.

I'm done I'll take the word of the guy who's working with the unit over some forum poster.

Re: price

Andrew House said PSVR would be priced like a 'new gaming platform,' not a console. So that could mean almost anything. The Vita was $250 at launch and that was a new gaming platform.

I don't know quite how to explain this but I've had 0 interest in VR until this. I guess having a physical box makes it feel more real as a platform. All of a sudden I'm very excited for VR.

benny_a

I'm done I'll take the word of the guy who's working with the unit over some forum poster.
I'm fixing your post for you for accuracy:

"I'm done I'll take the word of a PlaySation evangelist at a Unity conference who's working with the unit over some forum poster that is citing the head of research of PlayStation Magical Labs who are responsible for PlayStation VR."

Alo0oy

Banned
Riggs has the potential to be this for me.

I'd be almost certain that the real "killer app" for VR on any platform will not be available for a long while and devs learn the tricks of what makes an incredible VR game / experience.

RIGS seems to be that killer app

though i absolutely HATE that description

It's GT Sport, it's pretty much the only "mainstream" franchise that has been announced for VR.

Top Bottom