• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR comes with a powerful processing i.e. the break out box

Sevenfold

I dont think it will be a a piggy backed GPU.. it will probably just be something similar to the Kinect 2.0... an SoC to help with the 3D tracking

Breakout box is just there to piece together the half a frame sent down the USB and the half sent down the HDMI. The special sauce is because it's really difficult like splitting the atom only in reverse.

Tagyhag

Oh wow, I thought that was just going to stay a rumor.

Very cool, whatever Sony needs to make sure PSVR has legs, they should do.

Edit: and yeah the price might be higher but hey, it's the first wave of VR, you'll have to pay a premium no matter what.

Stike

There should be at least two SKUs, one with just the Headset and the box (for those who already own the camera) at around 349, and another with camera and maybe a move controller at maybe 399. I expect the full price/release date reveal at PSX.

And yes, I am guessing :p

And this is a demo how 3D binaural audio sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can make an argument for FF, my threshold is 9-10 million, but you can make an argument for ~6 million I guess. But if you lower the threshold to 6 million, pretty much every AAA franchise is "mainstream".

Please elaborate.

Ok

It's GT Sport, it's pretty much the only "mainstream" franchise that has been announced for VR.

Tekken used to be a 7 million seller in the PS1 era, but how much did the last one sell? 2-3 million maybe? That's good, but I wouldn't call it a mainstream franchise anymore.

When we're talking mainstream franchises, it has to be something that sells close to 10 million or more, neither Final Fantasy nor Tekken sell anywhere close to that anymore.

Something like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Uncharted, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Gran Turismo...etc.

Are we sure that it won't be PC compatible? The breakout box looks USB, and the PS Move looks like it connects to the breakout box and not the PS4.

I think the cam connects to it so you can use the back port for VR there are only so many USB ports on the ps4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the camera for, head tracking? The headpiece can't track the movement of my head with the gyro and accelerometer accurately enough without the camera? Do Vive/Oculus need a camera?

Yes they do. Oculus has a camera (and you get a second camera if you buy the oculus touch motion controllers), and Vive has their lighthouses which use lasers which the headset picks up

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Very cool that they're offsetting 3D audio processing. As someone who always plays with quality headphones this pleases me, although it's a bummer it won't be used for standard games as well.

Danlord

Very cool that they're offsetting 3D audio processing. As someone who always plays with quality headphones this pleases me, although it's a bummer it won't be used for standard games as well.

The PS4 can do binaural audio without PlayStation VR, as we know that Hellblade, Ninja Theory's upcoming game is using binaural audio. It might not be as advanced but it is certainly much more impressive than standard audio processing for games.

Majanew

Banned
Yes they do. Oculus has a camera (and you get a second camera if you buy the oculus touch motion controllers), and Vive has their lighthouses which use lasers which the headset picks up
Interesting. Whatever it takes for a great VR experience, I suppose.

Is VR something that would drop in price pretty significantly over the course of a few years like a console does? Or does it not work like that?

If it launches at 400 dollars thats going to be a really tough sell for Sony.

You're tripping. Oculus already moneyhatted Insomniac and will do so for other high tier devs. They have facebook bankroll and more to lose than Sony does on VR.

Yeah but how much experience does oculus/Facebook have with publishing games? They could green light complete junk, you can have all the money in the world but if you publish shit it won't get you very far just ask sega.

Danlord

Is VR something that would drop in price pretty significantly over the course of a few years like a console does? Or does it not work like that?

I may be wrong so if anyone would correct me that's fine, but I think the 2 more expensive components for a VR solution like PlayStation VR is the OLED screen and the PSVR processing unit chip(s).

The Processing Unit's internal chip(s) can be made smaller through smaller fabrication processes. Currently the PS4's APU uses 28nm and improved fabs are using 20nm or even 14nm which would reduce the cost of silicon used and also lower the overall motherboard complexity in size and further offset some cost.

The OLED screen however I think is always going to be the biggest cost sink for PSVR simply because of how expensive (historically) OLED has been. Whether or not the economies of scale favour Sony for this, and/or they manage to license the tech out for such a thing to happen I don't know.

Stike

That's why they only expect it to sell around 1.5 million units in its first year.

Alo0oy

Banned
So 10 million makes a game mainstream? In that case uncharted isn't mainstream either. Nor is the last of us

I'm pretty sure those two games sold 10 million or are close to 10 million.

Anyway, right now we're just arguing the definition of mainstream, so let's just agree to disagree, I just think a game needs to sell more than the average 5 million every AAA game sells these days to be considered mainstream.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The PS4 can do binaural audio without PlayStation VR, as we know that Hellblade, Ninja Theory's upcoming game is using binaural audio. It might not be as advanced but it is certainly much more impressive than standard audio processing for games.
Didn't know Hellblade was doing that. That's cool as shit.

autoduelist

You're tripping. Oculus already moneyhatted Insomniac and will do so for other high tier devs. They have facebook bankroll and more to lose than Sony does on VR.

A couple high profile games won't get most people to buy a PC + a VR solution in the same way that a couple high profile games might get people who already own a PS4 to decide to get a PSVR unit.

In case that isn't clear, what I'm saying is that I think the success of the VR market is greatly dependent on it being 'easy' to both buy, install, and play. The benefits of console are great here -- we know right now you'll be able to just buy a PSVR, plug it in, and it'll play any PSVR game with no significant fiddling, just like any PS4 game plays PS4 games.

That's really important to many people. I'm sure PC VR solutions would potentially provide a better experience given better PC hardware, but that requires all of the hurdles, both real and imagined, that come with PC ownership.

I know I'm not going to go out and buy a $1000 pc for any reason. But... I already have a PS4. Sony needs to [and clearly will attempt to] capitalize on the fact that anyone with a PS4 can get VR easily.

I don't think games matter as much as some do. Sure, you need some good ones. But GTA6 in PC VR still isn't going to get 'the mainstream' to go out and spend ~$1500 to get a PC + VR solution. It might get people who already own a PS4 to get a unit though... which has more mainstream potential than people who already own a powerful enough PC.

ryseing

Thing is gon bomb hard at console prices doe. Not that I think it should be lower, I think PS4 is not the right platform for VR at all and this is more of a test dip before PS5 or whatever.

Yeah everytime something new about PSVR comes out I hear a scream in my head saying "wait for PS5's VR", especially considering that VR needs 60 frames to work and many games on PS4 struggle to hit that target in combination with expected graphical fidelity.

I want to get excited but realistically I won't be dipping my toes in the VR water for another five years or so.

I'd be in for $400. I assumed it would be around that much. Might be a tough sell for higher though.

For more than that, I'd just bite the bullet and build an occulus rig.

VillageBC

I find PSVR, Vive and Rift to be compelling VR solutions. I'll probably be an early adopter of at least one of these, though not sure which at this stage. In any case, I'm looking forward to this VR future and I hope it isn't stillborn.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So devs have to aim for 60fps @ 1080p minimum for PSVR games. Interesting.

Stuart444

I find PSVR, Vive and Rift to be compelling VR solutions. I'll probably be an early adopter of at least one of these, though not sure which at this stage. In any case, I'm looking forward to this VR future and I hope it isn't stillborn.

It will be easier to decide when we have a list of each ones specs/games/price.

I do hope the PSVR is affordable though as that's the one that's most attractive to me atm but we'll see next year.

Oh wow they went all in on the R&D of the PSVR. These solutions sound really clever when this entire time I kept thinking morpheus/ PSVR was just a vapid "me too cause I gotta" situation like PS MOVE. Sounds like we have something really compelling here.

They've been working on PSVR since 2010.

No box, tape a graphics card to the back of my head!

The multitude of wires with this are pretty much the thing nobody wants to discuss aren't they?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nobody is discussing that because nobody cares. It's a box that goes with your gaming console. It's got wires.

And this is a demo how 3D binaural audio sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Ahh the classic... :)

Always wanted to get the Binaural mic head to have a go at some sound design tests, I could probably make one, but just having one of these would be far more fun.

02.jpg

Danlord

So basically, this can make a 30 FPS PS4 game (No mans Sky for instance) run on PSVR at 60 FPS?

No Man's Sky is 60FPS by the way, and in theory asynchronous reprojection can 'upscale' any FPS to any higher target although that is not practical nor is it without (assumed) problems. The minimum target FPS for any VR game is native 60 and gets reprojected to 120hz, although the PS4 can handle native 90hz and native 120hz if the developer so chooses.

No Man's Sky is 60FPS by the way, and in theory asynchronous reprojection can 'upscale' any FPS to any higher target although that is not practical nor is it without (assumed) problems. The minimum target FPS for any VR game is native 60 and gets reprojected to 120hz, although the PS4 can handle native 90hz and native 120hz if the developer so chooses.

Ahh, thank you.

Haines

Banned
Laughable you guys think this will be cheap.

Cutting edge brand new vr for your ps4?

400 easy. Sonys not going to half ass it and they wont take a hit on the price. No way.

DavidDesu

A couple high profile games won't get most people to buy a PC + a VR solution in the same way that a couple high profile games might get people who already own a PS4 to decide to get a PSVR unit.

In case that isn't clear, what I'm saying is that I think the success of the VR market is greatly dependent on it being 'easy' to both buy, install, and play. The benefits of console are great here -- we know right now you'll be able to just buy a PSVR, plug it in, and it'll play any PSVR game with no significant fiddling, just like any PS4 game plays PS4 games.

That's really important to many people. I'm sure PC VR solutions would potentially provide a better experience given better PC hardware, but that requires all of the hurdles, both real and imagined, that come with PC ownership.

I know I'm not going to go out and buy a $1000 pc for any reason. But... I already have a PS4. Sony needs to [and clearly will attempt to] capitalize on the fact that anyone with a PS4 can get VR easily.

I don't think games matter as much as some do. Sure, you need some good ones. But GTA6 in PC VR still isn't going to get 'the mainstream' to go out and spend ~$1500 to get a PC + VR solution. It might get people who already own a PS4 to get a unit though... which has more mainstream potential than people who already own a powerful enough PC.

Yep. This, all of this.

I've thought this right from the moment Sony proved that Morpheus would offer a competitive experience to what Oculus was doing with DK2 etc. It simply makes sense. High specced gaming PCs are just not that prevalent in the world. People don't have them unless they're gaming enthusiasts. They're usually in an office personal bedroom as well. The typical benefits of console gaming will only improve the chances for VR too on the PS4 platform. Looking to have nearly 40 million PS4s in the wild next year. That's 40 million consoles ready for plug and play VR. No fuss. VR needs solid as a rock setups, not ones left to the whims of users who may fiddle around and break their VR experience, detrimentally so.

With PS4 it just works. People are seriously underestimating how big a factor this will be. Even before that is the cost factor. VR will not go mainstream I f it requires everyone to have a powerhouse PC. Even if they get a VR ready build for £500 they're competing with a £300 console that can run VR very well. For most the PS4 option is the smarter one, even if they know the VR itself might be a touch inferior, it will be more than good enough to fundamentally amaze and astonish people to make them very content with their purchase and buy into the the PSVR ecosystem of games and experiences.

So basically, this can make a 30 FPS PS4 game (No mans Sky for instance) run on PSVR at 60 FPS?

1) No Man's Sky already runs at 60fps.
2) The box probably does not have its own dedicated GPU, but it is capable of having certain processes the PS4 can already handle offloaded to it to free up some resources on the console, as well as a few other features.
3) No, re-projecting 30 to 60 would be a visual nightmare. 60 to 120 works better, but comes with artifacts. The process just fills in missing visual data by blending frames together. It does not add any new visual information, hence why 120 native would be better.

EDIT: beaten

DavidDesu

No, must be 60fps minimum, which can be reprojected to 120fps. 30 is just way too few frames to deliver a VR experience that would not make you sick.

No Mans Sky had a trailer released that was in 60fps... So I think the game is aiming for that on PS4.

ps3ud0

Oh that sounds excellent (pun intended) - shame binaural audio mixes are largely ignored in gaming - least VR devices will demand that and it will be glorious

ps3ud0 8)

cruise

Banned
Just a "powerful unit"??? I am dissapointed that they do not use industry-leading tech here...

I am actually very pleased that they are not focusing on industry-leading tech here.

Industry-leading isn't always viable or fiscally responsible.

I'm fine with letting Oculus Rift bankrupt the hell out of Mark Heisenberg over some "industry-leading tech".

border

When was No Man's Sky confirmed to be 60fps on PS4?

AmyS

All the box does is
1. take the reprojected render from PS4 and sends it to VR unit
2. 3D spatial audio processing
3. Sensor data processing
4. Video optical correction for TV

It is being described as powerful because it is doing all that in real time with very little latency. It is getting improved because it is a Sony designed PU (processing Unit) that is constantly being tweaked for better performance.

The slides do not say otherwise

Yep, that was exactly my takeaway as well.

Stike

Is there anything known on the connectors of this breakout box?

I think it must have at least 1 HDMI in (PS4) and 2 HDMI out ports (1 headset, 1 TV) so...

...would it theoretically be possible for the breakout box to use the reprojection tech on regular 30 fps games and output them at 60 fps to the TV (without VR features, obviously)???

Top Bottom