• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR comes with a powerful processing i.e. the break out box

Elandyll

Banned
Re: the breakout box.

Dr. Richard Marks, head of the VR project, talked about what it does. Here's a thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1122142

Here's the breakdown of what he said.

He also, in that video, specifically says that the ps4 "doesn't have any secret sauce".

Yup, great video. The gaf thread about is linked at the top of this post.

The " no special sauce" refers to the splitting of the image being nothing special, not about the box not having any other function.
But we'll see :)
These slides specifically say otherwise, and I found Marks to be particularly coy in his answers. #shrug

hiryu64

Hrm, I'm getting some major 32X vibes from this thing. I'm not expecting it to light the world on fire, but hopefully it sees at least moderate success and not also parallel the 32X in that regard, either.

EDIT: Well, then.

The more I hear of PSVR the more I'm seeing it become the premier VR headset. Sony really seems to have something substantial here, with real VR games in the making, targeting the mainstream with AAA games, while others shout about their Jiggaflops and rely on indies and whatnot.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Whoa so this thing is going to be providing additional power for VR? That's pretty legit
RG0BS1U.gif

Blanquito

The " no special sauce" refers to the splitting of the image being nothing special, not about the box not having any other function.
These slides specifically say otherwise, and I found Marks to be particularly coy in his answers. #shrug

I know this, I'm the one who posted that interview. I already know this info and knew about the audio back around GDC.

Look, I'm as excited as anyone else about VR, and specifically PSVR. But I highly doubt the breakout box does anything else besides what Dr. Marks said. Specifically when he says

The box is feature complete

in that video.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The more I hear of PSVR the more I'm seeing it become the premier VR headset. Sony really seems to have something substantial here, with real VR games in the making, targeting the mainstream with AAA games, while others shout about their Jiggaflops and rely on indies and whatnot.

You're tripping. Oculus already moneyhatted Insomniac and will do so for other high tier devs. They have facebook bankroll and more to lose than Sony does on VR.

slapnuts

You could've said the same thing about smartphones. Who would've guessed the world would start paying hundreds of dollars for phones every year or two when we were getting them for free? If VR is a compelling enough piece of technology the price won't stop people from buying it.

lol smart phones are more (far more) mainstream tech than VR dude..come on

Tripolygon

Banned
All the box does is
1. take the reprojected render from PS4 and sends it to VR unit
2. 3D spatial audio processing
3. Sensor data processing
4. Video optical correction for TV

It is being described as powerful because it is doing all that in real time with very little latency. It is getting improved because it is a Sony designed PU (processing Unit) that is constantly being tweaked for better performance.

The slides do not say otherwise

n0razi

I dont think it will be a a piggy backed GPU.. it will probably just be something similar to the Kinect 2.0... an SoC to help with the 3D tracking

Alo0oy

Banned
You're tripping. Oculus already moneyhatted Insomniac and will do so for other high tier devs. They have facebook bankroll and more to lose than Sony does on VR.

They need to announce a game that is at least 25% as big as Gran Turismo for it first.

Fbh

Interesting.

PSVR is sounding really nice.... but I'm finding it hard to get excited about it because of the nature of consoles. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty big investment and I'm just not sure I want to spend that much on what's essentially a premium accesory that might be abbandoned once a Ps4 successor gets released.

It's the one thing keeping me from getting truly excited about PSVR. On PC I feel like I could use a VR headset for quite some time, even if newer and more advanced models are release I could still see the older ones being supported

sja_626

I hope the final breakout box contains some sort of USB hub, since USB ports are scarce on the console itself and this will take up one.

Also I'm disappointed to hear that the 3D audio processing is done on the box. I'd hoped PSVR would lead to PS4 itself gaining the ability to mix any game audio into virtual surround usable via headphone jack on the Dualshock. Sounds like this won't be happening though.

Three

Yeah, the TrueAudio compatability has been known about for quite some time now.
2378882-1438813448-bbchs.png

I don't know if they've mentioned where the audio processing will take place yet but I assuming that it's one of the reasons that it includes a separate TrueAudio professor as VR was something that the PS4 was designed for.

With VR you really need to have a good quality binaural audio setup as old style (5.1/7.1/etc) positional audio just doesn't fit in with VR as much as true 3D audio.

Dr. Dre finally got tenure.

Majanew

Banned
Can't wait to finally try VR. I'll most likely be getting PSVR day one. RIGS looks fun.

Will my 7.1 home theater setup work or will headphones be required for PSVR?

0racle

So what is needed to use the VR?

I am interested but have not been following the tech.

- the unit
- PS4
- Dualshock 4?

will I need cameras/mics/other junk? I hope not....

Alo0oy

Banned
Ffxiv too. As far as big names go gt,final fantasy a d tekken is a really great start

When we're talking mainstream franchises, it has to be something that sells close to 10 million or more, neither Final Fantasy nor Tekken sell anywhere close to that anymore.

Something like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Uncharted, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Gran Turismo...etc.

- the unit
- PS4
- Dualshock 4?

Of course you'll need a camera, but I would imagine there will be a bundle with and without it. Move controllers for specific games that require it.

Portugeezer

- the unit
- PS4
- Dualshock 4?

Camera is also for head tracking. I think that's it, unless a game requires Move controller.

0racle

Of course you'll need a camera, but I would imagine there will be a bundle with and without it. Move controllers for specific games that require it.

Shit.

What if my dedicated game/entertainment room is a projector setup without room to mount a camera ? that bites !

When we're talking mainstream franchises, it has to be something that sells close to 10 million or more, neither Final Fantasy nor Tekken sell anywhere close to that anymore.

Something like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Uncharted, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Gran Turismo...etc.
Wait what? Final fantasy isn't considered mainstream?? Tekken fine it dropped a little but still. Its jus launching im pretty sure having final fantasy, gran turismo,tekken,insert space simulation game here,and whatever else there cooking is a good start
FFXIV is just a tech demo. SE has already stated as such. It was on display at TGS.
Aaah that's unfortunate i assumed since it was in their pgw trailer it was the full thing

adin75

Not really sold on the whole VR thing myself but have heard good thing about this.

PAX Aus was on this weekend, I wasn't able to attend but a few friends who tried it there said it made Occulous look like a kids toy. Was their standout of the whole event.

I'll happily pay more for dedicated hardware that displays un-distorted output to my TV. Gets around that unsociable-ness that putting on a VR headset and headphones naturally leads to.

I wonder whether Oculus/Vive will have a similar system(just using PC specs) for PC VR, instead of the distorted stereo image. Possibly not, since PCs aren't usually used by multiple people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tekken used to be a 7 million seller in the PS1 era, but how much did the last one sell? 2-3 million maybe? That's good, but I wouldn't call it a mainstream franchise anymore.

Best get some wheels for those goalposts, will help you move them more quickly

Alo0oy

Banned
Wait what? Final fantasy isn't considered mainstream?? Tekken fine it dropped a little but still. Its jus launching im pretty sure having final fantasy, gran turismo,tekken,insert space simulation game here,and whatever else there cooking is a good start

You can make an argument for FF, my threshold is 9-10 million, but you can make an argument for ~6 million I guess. But if you lower the threshold to 6 million, pretty much every AAA franchise is "mainstream".

Best get some wheels for those goalposts, will help you move them more quickly

Please elaborate.

Boss Man

When is this coming out again? I mean when should we start seeing pricing/bundles? My guess would be that it'll wait until after the holidays at least.

You can make an argument for FF, my threshold is 9-10 million, but you can make an argument for ~6 million I guess. But if you lower the threshold to 6 million, pretty much every AAA franchise is "mainstream".

If you say" Tekken" or "Final Fantasy" people understand what you're talking about. So they're mainstream.

Im sorry but thats bull. This isn't even an argument final fantasy is a mainstream franchise.

Shit.

What if my dedicated game/entertainment room is a projector setup without room to mount a camera ? that bites !

The VR headset is the screen, so you shouldn't need the camera under your projection screen. It could be off to the side, or tucked in a corner. As long as it can see you.

FFXIV is just a tech demo. SE has already stated as such. It was on display at TGS.

Yeah, the FFXIV VR announcement is a complete disaster. I've seen multiple journalists from big sites report that ARR is coming to VR and people are going to be absolutely crushed when they find out its just a pointless tech demo that accomplishes nothing.

Majanew

Banned
What's the camera for, head tracking? The headpiece can't track the movement of my head with the gyro and accelerometer accurately enough without the camera? Do Vive/Oculus need a camera?

What's the camera for, head tracking? The headpiece can't track the movement of my head with the gyro and accelerometer accurately enough without the camera? Do Vive/Oculus need a camera?

For tracking the lights on your head and the one of the PS Move.

Do you guys think this box will require another HDMI cord or will it just be a power cord?

Also do you think it will be small like a Vita TV or more of a Wii U type size?

Portugeezer

Do you guys think this box will require another HDMI cord or will it just be a power cord?

Also do you think it will be small like a Vita TV or more of a Wii U type size?

Well it needs to connect to the PS4 so it probably comes with a small HDMI cable to connect your PS4 to the box, then I guess you connect your current TV HDMI cable to the box.

I think if you play a normal (non-VR) game it should work on the same cables. Would be annoying if otherwise.

Top Bottom