• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The scary bits of the until dawn demo hit me way harder than I thought they would. I was having a (self-inflicted) tracking issue so I quit it early... But, if I'm being honest, I didn't even try to fix it. I was just ready to try something that wouldn't make me piss myself.

VR horror is an easy way to sell immersion. I'm afraid I might not be able to hang though.

GHound

Haven't been able to find anything on this and skimming through the manuals yields no results. Is the headband supposed to automatically retract and the wheel is just for additional tightening or is my unit faulty?

UMGAWA

Haven't been able to find anything on this and skimming through the manuals yields no results. Is the headband supposed to automatically retract and the wheel is just for additional tightening or is my unit faulty?

Yep, it automatically retracts once removed.

First and only game I have played so far has been Batman. Took me 2,5 hours to beat it.
What can I say...I WAS fucking Batman for that time. Will play it again for sure for the collectibles and riddles.

At first the "unsharpness" annoyed me, but after moving the headset a lot I found a good position. Picture reminds me of my 720p beamer I use for my PS3.

This was my first VR experience ever and the immersion is unbelievable, these 2 and a half hours are one of the best gaming moments of my life, which started with Pitfall on an Atari, continued to a C64/Amiga, PS1 (Resident Evil intro and Gran Turismo replays) and PC era (Unreal with a Voodoo gfx card and my first multiplayer experiences with an old modem. :)

Was really blown away by Batman and all the small details in that short period of time, if they decide to do a full Batman (detective) game with this tech, it will be mindblowing, I am sure.

Now I have to try all other games and demos. Hopefully Batman wasn´t the best experience.
Had fears that VR would only be a gimmick like Move and 3D, but this is the future of gaming, I am sure of it.

Damn, reading impressions like this might make buy one sooner than I thought.

Cc23830

I have been playing on and off for an hour or two but RIGS, an amazing game, just beat me physically. I am going to be sick. I can feel it. And still so much to try this evening.

Got new Moves and they dont seem to be connecting to the PS4 apparently? I've never used these before but it seems like there shouldn't be any issues, not sure what I'm doing wrong...anyone have any thoughts?

Same problem here. They are charged and work fine on the PS3, but can't get them to work on ps4. Blinking red light on the bottom.

I went to Best Buy at noon today. They had VR bundles and non-bundles. Plenty of games. Absolutely no interest from anyone other than me. I was the only person looking at the stuff.

Afterwards I went to Wal-mart. They had Playstation VR stuff in the electronics section. Again, I was the only person looking at it.

This thing is going to bomb hard. Nobody knows it exists and once they see the price will get a PS4 Pro/Xbox One S instead.
its called word of mouth buddy.

No one, not Sony, not analyst we're expecting a $400 peripheral to sell like Wii at launch.

After trying PSVR for the first time at a friend place, i immediately ordered one and cancelled my PS4 Pro pre-order, i need VR now, it's fucking amazing and one hell of an experience !!!

This is what i want from videogames in the future, this is fun and immersive as F, it's that good !

Played Rigs, this game is an adrenaline rush, Ocean Decent and Thumper (another adrenaline rush)... holly balls this is crazy !

Reading impressions here, i understand what it feels now !

The hard thing now is that i have to wait for next week to get mine... for those that have it, enjoy !!! i will soon join the party !

First and only game I have played so far has been Batman. Took me 2,5 hours to beat it.
What can I say...I WAS fucking Batman for that time. Will play it again for sure for the collectibles and riddles.

At first the "unsharpness" annoyed me, but after moving the headset a lot I found a good position. Picture reminds me of my 720p beamer I use for my PS3.

This was my first VR experience ever and the immersion is unbelievable, these 2 and a half hours are one of the best gaming moments of my life, which started with Pitfall on an Atari, continued to a C64/Amiga, PS1 (Resident Evil intro and Gran Turismo replays) and PC era (Unreal with a Voodoo gfx card and my first multiplayer experiences with an old modem. :)

Was really blown away by Batman and all the small details in that short period of time, if they decide to do a full Batman (detective) game with this tech, it will be mindblowing, I am sure.

Now I have to try all other games and demos. Hopefully Batman wasn´t the best experience.
Had fears that VR would only be a gimmick like Move and 3D, but this is the future of gaming, I am sure of it.
yup this is the kind of stuff that I'm looking for. I think VR will become another genre of gaming, not replacing anything traditional but supplemental just like mobile. How big it gets with gaming I don't know, I think more people will buy it to watch live concerts and sporting events, but it's getting its feet wet with gaming and that's cool.

After trying PSVR for the first time at a friend place, i immediately ordered one and cancelled my PS4 Pro pre-order, i need VR now, it's fucking amazing and one hell of an experience !!!

This is what i want from videogames in the future, this is fun and immersive as F, it's that good !

Played Rigs, this game is an adrenaline rush, Ocean Decent and Thumper (another adrenaline rush)... holly balls this is crazy !

Reading impressions here, i understand what it feels now !

The hard thing now is that i have to wait for next week to get mine... for those that have it, enjoy !!! i will soon join the party !

Nice!!

My sister in law came over to try it and has now ordered one. Having a vr party tomorrow night so can't wait. Only played a couple of games so far but rush of Blood is fantastic. Looking forward to Rigs tonight

joebruin

I went to Best Buy at noon today. They had VR bundles and non-bundles. Plenty of games. Absolutely no interest from anyone other than me. I was the only person looking at the stuff.

Afterwards I went to Wal-mart. They had Playstation VR stuff in the electronics section. Again, I was the only person looking at it.

This thing is going to bomb hard. Nobody knows it exists and once they see the price will get a PS4 Pro/Xbox One S instead.

the gaming section is often empty whenever i go to bestbuys on weekends. not sure what you expected on a weekday during work and school hours with a product that no one is disputing to be a niche product at launch.

every game I've played I had an 'outside play area' alert on screen despite sitting perfectly centered to the camera and calibrating the lights. Playing rez to look directly forward in game I had to face to the left about 80 degrees and could not recenter. Headmaster seemed to work the best, despite being the most reliant on tracking

Lol thank you for your hard hitting analysis

Zalusithix

Sure, but given what we know about OLED screens what are the IQ issues that this is a trade off for?

I take it the rift and vive have the same issue?

Just a bit dissapointed, after hearing about the move to oled i just asumed deep blacks and great contrast was a given and it resolution would be the only issue.

Black smear being the major one. The pixel full off -> on response time is greater than mostly off -> on. Low image persistence and no smearing of the image is very important for VR applications.

Can someone help clarify somethings for me?

I'm in the UK, and I have a US PSN account. Do the US PSVR demos work on the UK device? I'd assume they do, but I just want to make sure first.

Also, has anyone with facial piercings used it yet? How is it? I have my eyebrow pierced, so I'm a bit wary of where the weight sits. If it sits right onthe piercing, I'd have to take it out which I'm not prepared to do.

Thanks for the help!

FUUUUUCK....

I'm getting the pulsating back and forth everything as well as the left drift of everything...

WTF is this shit. I've got the GiantBomb :/

If i cant remedy this shit it's going back to Amazon. Vomit inducing.

SJRB

Gold Member
After trying the demos I purchased Driveclub VR and EVE Valkyrie.

Especially Valkyrie blew me away. Even though the gameplay seemed pretty shallow, the whole experience of sitting in that cockpit, flying in space with spaceships all around you was nothing short of incredible and exactly, EXACTLY what I want from VR.

As for Driveclub, it felt kind of weird playing the first time. But I tried the demo a couple more times, made sure my driver POV position was optimal and everything went better, so I'm willing to risk I'm not going to vomit all over my new carpet.

I also wanted to get VR World but I'm not sure how much replay value it has. I mean, does anyone know how long each minigame is? The deep sea diving thing, for example. The demo was excellent, but it was like 3 minutes long. Is the full experience longer?

Fuck it. Ditched the bundle since I already had a cam and got the base without the move controllers. My bro has a set he never uses so I'll just nab his.

Just got home so I'll be setting it up in a few.

There were 2 guys ahead of me buying a bundle and base, I had the last unit in store. As I was ringing up another guy walked in and wasn't able to get one.

Wooooo!

Carl

I have been playing on and off for an hour or two but RIGS, an amazing game, just beat me physically. I am going to be sick. I can feel it. And still so much to try this evening.

I came off RIGS and thought I was fine but I still actually feel a little dizzy :( will try it again, hope it doesn't persist.

Are VR game trophy notifications disabled automatically. I played around for a few hours this afternoon with Rez and Batman and don't recall getting any trophies, even though I know I completed some requirements...

They don't pop up on the screen. You should still here the chime and they should still unlock. You just don't see them in VR.

Got mine, played for about 2 hours in a few different games. Didnt have any real motion sickness while playing. I played Eve, Batman, descent thing from worlds and thumper. The only sickness I get is that the resolution makes it almost feel like you are wearing someone else's prescription glasses, so you kind of get that uneasy feeling at times. But like I said, even Eve didnt make me feel sick.
I want to play more and try other stuff, but I feel like I should give myself a break so I dont get ill effects from it.

Edit: Also Ive had zero tracking issues. In batman the hands shake a little bit at times, but nothing crazy

FUUUUUCK....

I'm getting the pulsating back and forth everything as well as the left drift of everything...

People said the drift was partially solvable by making sure you are centered in the camera.

As for the rocking back and forth like GB, check to make sure your camera is clean. No smudges, dust, etc. Even UNDER the protective cover. The rocking back and forth sounds like the camera is stuck autofocusing, making the LEDs look like they are moving in and out. I have no clue if the cam can autofocus or how it works so there's that.

Mathieran

Banned
Mine's sitting in my garage at home. Can't wait to try it out tonight. Probably gonna have to wait til my 2 year old is in bed. He could get into a lot of trouble with those cords while I'm setting it up

Skatterd

You need an USB cable with a data stream and not just for charging. Also the controllers need to be off when connected.

Yeah this was the problem- thanks! I apparently was using a different USB cable then I thought I was. I dug through boxes and found an old ps3 one and it worked immediately.

Is there a game that gives off the same sense of scale as that descent demo? Even the intro to worlds was pretty wild. But man, when I was in that cage in the water moving around that small space, leaning close to look at things I couldn't wipe the smile off my face

ckohler

FUUUUUCK....

Try these things:
  • Go into PS4 > Settings > Devices > PlayStation VR and perform the calibration options.
  • Make sure your camera isn't too high above you, looking down. It may work better the closer it is to being even to your height even if that means if it is looking upwards slightly.
  • Make sure you are centered and no further than 5 feet from the camera. Being closer to the camera may improve tracking fidelity.
  • Make sure your headset lights are centered in the box when starting the demo disc. If not, adjust your camera/seating position until they are without letting yourself get off center from the camera.

Cc23830

I came off RIGS and thought I was fine but I still actually feel a little dizzy :( will try it again, hope it doesn't persist.

I feel like ive had 3 or 4 beers. Head is spinning and feel a bit sick. Ill power through ot after a little break.

bargeparty

so I'm a little bummed. I can definitely see the mesh grid or whatever on the screen, at all times. I thought it would be a little clearer too. I still need to mess with the camera, I can't seem to get it just right. It's always a little off, like it's look at me and my couch sideways.

Holy shit, everyone was right, Thumber is too good. That demo freaking sold me. Also DriveClub VR is awesome! and I don't even like driving games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Messed around with a PSVR today for a bit and what stuns me is how shit the processing unit box is. What a piece of garbage.

I knew it was only HDMI 1.4 and wouldn't support higher end visual features but what I didn't expect was the awful color banding that results. The box only outputs 8-bit per pixel and the end result is a reduction in image quality on the connected display even when the PSVR itself is not active. You can see it plain as day on the PS4 main menu. Without the box, the blue colors are 100% smooth with no color banding at all. It looks fantastic. With the box connected, however, color banding becomes an obvious problem and it looks lousy.

So, basically, the processing unit degrades image quality even when outputting at 1080p.

Is there a game that gives off the same sense of scale as that descent demo? Even the intro to worlds was pretty wild. But man, when I was in that cage in the water moving around that small space, leaning close to look at things I couldn't wipe the smile off my face
Yeah, those types of demos are amazing. Oculus Dreamdeck is rather similar in that regard.

It's also why I absolutely adore New Retro Arcade on the PC - exploring a fully functional 80s arcade just feels incredible due to the close quarters.

That's really what I've learned about VR - the small scale environments tend to be a lot more impressive than the larger scale ones.

so I'm a little bummed. I can definitely see the mesh grid or whatever on the screen, at all times. I thought it would be a little clearer too. I still need to mess with the camera, I can't seem to get it just right. It's always a little off, like it's look at me and my couch sideways.

Try not to focus on it? I know I can see it when I'm looking for it, but if I relax and let go it's mostly unnoticeable to me.

TI82

Banned
I just want to try it finally, no one I know will let anyone else try their Vive or Rift out so a demo of this would be my first time in VR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just got back from snagging everything. Guess I'll add my experience. Went to GameStop and best buy. Gamestop was sold out, best buy had plenty.

Messed around with a PSVR today for a bit and what stuns me is how shit the processing unit box is. What a piece of garbage.

I knew it was only HDMI 1.4 and wouldn't support higher end visual features but what I didn't expect was the awful color banding that results. The box only outputs 8-bit per pixel and the end result is a reduction in image quality on the connected display even when the PSVR itself is not active. You can see it plain as day on the PS4 main menu. Without the box, the blue colors are 100% smooth with no color banding at all. It looks fantastic. With the box connected, however, color banding becomes an obvious problem and it looks lousy.

So, basically, the processing unit degrades image quality even when outputting at 1080p.

Man, WTF Sony? WTF?

God I hope not. That's the only place for mine right now and that's where it sits.

What worries me is the Processor Unit has a fan built into it so I'm worried about how much heat it generates and the effects it has to the PS4 by placing it on top.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Yeah, those types of demos are amazing. Oculus Dreamdeck is rather similar in that regard.

It's also why I absolutely adore New Retro Arcade on the PC - exploring a fully functional 80s arcade just feels incredible due to the close quarters.

That's really what I've learned about VR - the small scale environments tend to be a lot more impressive than the larger scale ones.

The processing unit also kills my surround sound, for whatever reason. Getting audio cutouts every ~3 seconds. Works fine when plugged straight into the TV. Hopefully they can firmware update some of this stuff out.

joebruin

so this affects what others see on the tv and not actually quality on the headset though right?

Jswanko

Is it normal for text (or everything really) to be blurry around the edges? Not a huge deal, but in navigating menus it's been a little annoying not to be able to read the text without moving my head. Also, sometimes the image moves with me so I cant focus even by moving my head

Seth

Is this the exact same headset that was demoed in best buy? for some reason it doesn't seem to fit me quite right, i can still see light from the bottom. i don't recall having that issue when i used it at best buy...

Shikoba

Is it normal for text (or everything really) to be blurry around the edges? Not a huge deal, but in navigating menus it's been a little annoying not to be able to read the text without moving my head. Also, sometimes the image moves with me so I cant focus even by moving my head

Yep. The headset is designed to have a higher pixel density towards the center of the screen. This is why it becomes blurrier as it goes further out. Not really noticeable in games, but it is on menus and such.

Having tried the Vive, I'm satisfied with the PSVR, the tracking is a step-down, but the visuals feel close enough. It's definitely more comfortable and easier to wear and adjust.

Valkyrie, Rigs, and Thumper are my top three at the moment, but I'm still working through all the various demos.

If we get some bigger/deeper games, I can definitely see playing this beyond just the novelty period. It's not a full-on replacement for my traditional gaming needs, but it feels like a legitimate add-on that's going to continue to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom