• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
so this affects what others see on the tv and not actually quality on the headset though right?
It does not impact the headset but, if you leave it connected to your PS4, it will impact EVERYTHING you play on your TV whether it's turned on or not. The only workaround is to disconnect the box and plug in to your TV/receiver directly while playing normal PS4 games.

After properly (doing everything under the settings) setting up my system it has worked flawlessly, no drifting, no tracking issues. All the problems I had with the demos are no non existent and whats more I can race, barrel roll and loop de loop like a crazy person without getting the slightest bad feeling, didn't have that problem before I have now just spent a good amount of time trying to make myself ill.

RSP

After 3 hours of PSVR:

It is so much FUN! I just love playroom vr. Much more lighthearted than my Rift or Vive experience, with the exception of Lucky's Tale or The Lab I guess.

Super comfortable. Good quality, works on me, my GF and even my 4yo boy.

The drift is pretty bad. It happens often, no matter what lighting I use. Definitely the downside of the PSVR.

No nausea or fategue whatsoever.

NoNeed4Mercy

Neo Member
loading human is hilarous.. gonna get it xD .. saw it on the eurogamer stream and move imtegration "is great".. seems like a funny experience.. hope some one tell me the game is not just 2 hours long for 40€

It does not impact the headset but, if you leave it connected to your PS4, it will impact EVERYTHING you play on your TV whether it's turned on or not. The only workaround is to disconnect the box and plug in to your TV/receiver directly while playing normal PS4 games.

So what you need is a splitter and a 2 to 1 switch to fix this mess. Even with that, there's no convenient way to switch between the two without manually switching it or grabbing a remote to select which one. What a pain in the ass.

Spman2099

I want to hug you and cry.

I started the PSVR demo disc and managed to get all the lights on, but the screen inside the headset remains completely dead. The tracking actually worked and I could see movement on the TV output :'(

MY CAMERA WAS UPSIDE DOWN!!!

*thuds head against wall repeatedly*

joebruin

playroom vr sounds like the killer app lol

lame/inconvenient. :[

Kalentan

So question. Is it supposed to be... slighty blurry? Or is the image supposed to be very clear. I do wear glasses but only to see things afar clearly.

Is there some settings I need to change?

pj

Banned
Is this the exact same headset that was demoed in best buy? for some reason it doesn't seem to fit me quite right, i can still see light from the bottom. i don't recall having that issue when i used it at best buy...

The light from the bottom has been there since the beginning.

Raven77

I just realized I ordered just the $399 Playstation VR and not the camera or move controllers. Do I HAVE to have the camera? If so, why the hell would they sell this thing without it included? Deceptive AF in my opinion essentially selling something that you can't even use without another totally separate purchase.

Ferrio

Banned
I just realized I ordered just the $399 Playstation VR and not the camera or move controllers. Do I HAVE to have the camera? If so, why the hell would they sell this thing without it included? Deceptive AF in my opinion essentially selling something that you can't even use without another totally separate purchase.

Yes you need it. Also it's sold that way because some people already have the camera + move controllers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The playroom vr platformer is amazing, that should be more than one level, really fun. The little robot collectible bit is super cute too, the little dudes are awesome.

Tried the theatre mode to watch some videos, I'm not sure what it is but the copies seem off or something, artifacting even, what could be a real amazing view to play games and watch videos is kinda let down by the quality of the box which is seemingly handling all of it.

styl3s

I went to Best Buy at noon today. They had VR bundles and non-bundles. Plenty of games. Absolutely no interest from anyone other than me. I was the only person looking at the stuff.

Afterwards I went to Wal-mart. They had Playstation VR stuff in the electronics section. Again, I was the only person looking at it.

This thing is going to bomb hard. Nobody knows it exists and once they see the price will get a PS4 Pro/Xbox One S instead.
I went to 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets a walmart and 2 gamestops and not a single one had any in stock and the 2 Best Buys i went to said they both had over 30 non-preorders and they went at midnight.

bomba confirmed.

Probably because they wanted to offer people who already owned moved controllers and a camera a lower cost box?

The other bundle is for people who don't own any of it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Rez. I mean holy shit. Holy fucking shit. I was not expecting that. It is basically like Lawnmower Man come to life 25 years later. Got a little queezy, though not because of the VR effect but because.... holy shit.. when they say dynamic mode is intense they aren't kidding. You basically have to be looking all around yourself constantly.

Thumper is awesome but it comes off to me as it's like this massive screen/view in front of you that is so big you can't see the sides. Rez feels like you are in the world.

Fisty

Anybody working on some HMD mods to kill the light bleed from around the nose area? Even in a pitch black room, I can still see the Move lights... might grab a burka and throw it on lol

murgo

My number 4 cable seems to be busted. That's why my headset kept turning off. If I connect the headset directly to the breakout box everything is working fine, but the cable is short as hell. Sitting around on the ground in front of the camera isn't really comfortable..

Raven77

Yes you need it. Also it's sold that way because some people already have the camera + move controllers.

But I thought someone said the older models of the camera don't work well for VR? It makes sense to not include it for some but the core version of PS VR should include a camera. The camera less SKU should not be front and center with all the advertising. I know probably 15-20 people with PS4's and not one single person has a camera. I also know 4-5 of them are getting PSVR and not one has mentioned picking up the camera.

Our fault for not doing our research but it seems odd to push the package that doesnt come with a a required peripheral that the vast majority of people don't have.

Kalentan

Okay.... okay...

I just tried Kitchen. I can't. I don't think I can. I know it's a game, but the sense that I'm in that world... I can't complete it.

Glix

But I thought someone said the older models of the camera don't work well for VR? I guess it makes sense but the core version of PS VR should include a camera. The camera less one should not be front and center. I know probably 15-20 people with PS4's and not one single person has a camera. I also know 4-5 of them are getting PSVR and not one has mentioned picking up the camera.

Our fault for not doing our research but it seems odd to push the package that doesnt come with a a required peripheral that the vast majority of people don't have.

Incorrect. The PS4 camera works fine for VR. I have the Cam and Move controllers already, forcing me to buy them again would fucking suck.

joebruin

But I thought someone said the older models of the camera don't work well for VR? It makes sense to not include it for some but the core version of PS VR should include a camera. The camera less SKU should not be front and center with all the advertising. I know probably 15-20 people with PS4's and not one single person has a camera. I also know 4-5 of them are getting PSVR and not one has mentioned picking up the camera.

Several million PS4 cameras were sold iirc. Lotta streamers out there. Also there are no reported internal hardware difference between the old and new cameras outside of the exterior design. Maybe you're thinking of the old PS3 eye?

Nags

Banned
Was getting some bad head tracking drift in Battlezone VR just now, even after calibrating and moving the camera. Holding options to reset wasn't helping. I swear certain games handle this more poorly than others.

Raven77

Incorrect. The PS4 camera works fine for VR. I have the Cam and Move controllers already, forcing me to buy them again would fucking suck.

Like I said, I get having a SKU without the stuff people might already own. But I can guarantee you a LOT of people are coming home with these today only to find out they need to go back out to get a camera. Sony has been putting the camera-less SKU front and center in most advertising, etc. and I think that's a mistake.

Yeah I may have been thinking of the PS Eye and not the camera having compatibility issues with VR.

PBY

Banned
Was getting some bad head tracking drift in Battlezone VR just now, even after calibrating and moving the camera. Holding options to reset wasn't helping. I swear certain games handle this more poorly than others.

Are you getting the in/out swimminess?

Had some pulsing of the Z-positioning earlier in Job Simulator. Bit distracting but I hadn't been able to fully calibrate yet - hoping that'll fix it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh crap. Does this affect people with non-HDR TV sets? The 10bit/8bit color issue, I mean?

Also, does the box add any processing lag when just passing the HDMI signal through?

bodine1231

Having owned both the Vive and Rift I was blown away with how clear the visuals are in the headset. Not having god rays makes a HUGE difference!! Also the colors seem more saturated and of course the blacks are much better due to the OLED screen. Very impressed with it!

nero2082

After 3 hours of PSVR:

It is so much FUN! I just love playroom vr. Much more lighthearted than my Rift or Vive experience, with the exception of Lucky's Tale or The Lab I guess.

Super comfortable. Good quality, works on me, my GF and even my 4yo boy.

The drift is pretty bad. It happens often, no matter what lighting I use. Definitely the downside of the PSVR.

No nausea or fategue whatsoever.

your confirmation about no fatigue sealed the deal for me, now gimme some horrors in vr, I need serious thrills in this bitch ;)

Well, after playing with PSVR all day (and having a fucking blast while doing so), I have only two things on my wishlist:

More anti-aliasing
Remove the weird 'film grain' effect

Other than that I think the graphics are more than serviceable for VR! In fact with better AA the graphics would be really good on some titles.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
has anyone got a hdmi splitter set up working yet. Want to make sure I buy the right thing to split the HDMI signal so I have 4k HDR and VR on different inputs

Krejlooc

Banned
Having owned both the Vive and Rift I was blown away with how clear the visuals are in the headset. Not having god rays makes a HUGE difference!! Also the colors seem more saturated and of course the blacks are much better due to the OLED screen. Very impressed with it!

All the commercial vr headsets use oled screens.

Man, Rez Infinite area X in VR is something else..
raw

PhleBuster

Neo Member
After properly (doing everything under the settings) setting up my system it has worked flawlessly, no drifting, no tracking issues. All the problems I had with the demos are no non existent and whats more I can race, barrel roll and loop de loop like a crazy person without getting the slightest bad feeling, didn't have that problem before I have now just spent a good amount of time trying to make myself ill.
I can echo this - on first run my camera was glitching a lot, but after running all the calibration options in settings that completely fixed it. They should force you to do it all on first run...

When I first put the glasses on, it was hard to get them 'just right' with everything in focus, now I just plop them on and they always feel to be in focus. Not sure if it's due to options I went through, or if I just got somehow used to it.

No notable exhaustion from using the set for some 3 hours.

After a few hours of playing (STILL playing), I am incredibly impressed. No tracking issues, no fatigue, no nausea, nothing. It is blurry and fogging up the lenses tends to happen. All in all, this was a fantastic purchase.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, that's what RoadToVR review mentioned - PSVR is using some better kind of optics that doesn't suffer from godray problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom