• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Happy PSVR launch everybody :)

I'm feeling stoked, because we got our little game in at practically the 11th hour in time for launch. Woke up this morning to see it featured in the "PSVR compatible" area in the north American PSN store, and that was just cool, and some new 'media vouchers' in ouir mailbox.

So, to celebrate, I'm handing out these vouchers here. Quote this post to reveal. Each code will grant you a copy of the game's complete bundle. There are codes for North America and Europe, and I think they are all for the bundle.

post the number of the code you grab. and if you have time in the deluge of games to give it a try, let us know if you dig it :)
also, NeoGAF references ahoy

Got US #6. Thank you!

Brew124

I'm feeling stoked, because we got our little game in at practically the 11th hour in time for launch. Woke up this morning to see it featured in the "PSVR compatible" area in the north American PSN store, and that was just cool, and some new 'media vouchers' in ouir mailbox.

So, to celebrate, I'm handing out these vouchers here. Quote this post to reveal. Each code will grant you a copy of the game's complete bundle. There are codes for North America and Europe, and I think they are all for the bundle.

post the number of the code you grab. and if you have time in the deluge of games to give it a try, let us know if you dig it :)

Got #2 for NA. Thanks m0dus!

KurowaSan

Used EU #5 . Thanks!

sock

Took NA #7. Thank you!!

Krejlooc

Banned

Congrats on the launch! I plan on buying your game, however, not using a voucher. Support VR devs :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Congrats on the launch, m0dus! Exciting times ahead and hope you guys do well and continue making unique experiences.

Arulan

I always forget whether going from US to EU is an inverter, or a converter. And I can never remember which voltage belongs to which countries. So when you buy one, make sure you ask a sales rep to help you out. I buy my converters (UK to US) from an electronics hobby shop for EE folks, and they always help me out. I buy heavy duty ones, they come in metal boxes that are about the size of a gamecube, and cost me around $40-$50 usually.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T JUST GET A POWER PLUG ADAPTER. Those will melt as you use them unless you have an inverter/converter. When I imported an Amiga for the first time, a sales associate at fry's sold me a plug adapter instead, and it literally melted in my wall. If the person helping you buy your equipment is showing you a power plug adapter (they are usually small, and cheap) then that is not what you want.

It depends. If the power adapter says something like 110-220V it's universal and all he needs is the plug adapter. A lot of laptop power adapters, and certain electronics use universal adapters. But if it only says 220V then you'll need the power transformer. A converter, while can sometimes be used as a transformer, are more for heating and/or motors.

Can someone check what it says on their power adapter for PSVR?

This is what they typically look like:

100-watt_stepdown_7.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hate to say it, but I'm really underwhelmed by the hardware. The SDE is much worse than I thought it would be (even worse than my Gear) and the graphics in some of these games are dreadful. Driveclub is just like 1.5 generations behind.

On the bright side, The Playroom VR was brilliant. Lots of fun. Bound's VR mode is actually really cool, which was unexpected.

I ordered the launch bundle from Newegg. However, my headset won't get here until next Wednesday. (I was trying to save on tax and shipping). Since everyone is saying that there are launch bundles at many stores still, would I be able to buy one from Best Buy and then return the one I'm getting from newegg back to Best Buy? Is there any individual identification of the headset when you buy it that this wouldn't be possible?

I'm getting a little excited to play now and idk if I really want to wait until next Wednesday...

Grabbed #1 NA. Thank you!!

Ahh EU codes taken, nm. Thanks anyway m0dus

kinggroin

Banned

Took 9!!

I'm late. Damn it

Thanks,

Edit: too late :(

Honestly i have no idea what the problem is. Maybe its because i dont know what colorbending is but i dont see a difference. I even changed the theme on tne ps4 back to the standard blue and looka fine to me. Youtube also looks as nice as ever :/

Color banding looks like this:

Camera-profile-066-duo.jpg

Look at the background behind the girl on the left, that's color banding.

If you don't see a difference it could be one of many things.

1) You just can't tell the difference

2) Your TV doesn't support it

3) You don't have it enabled on the PS4

In any case, be glad you can't see the difference because if you do notice it, it can stand out.

Tried some of the demos this morning. What an incredible experience, I never got to try any of the in store demos or at PSX. I've tried a few demos and I've had no motion sickness and they all have been really fun. I really enjoyed RIGS, Headmaster, Rez, and Thumper.

Seems playroom vr doesnt have any of the grey grainyness of games like rush of blood, must be an issue with gamma levels on a per game basis, gives me hope it will be fixed and not a screen technology issue

Fusebox

Banned
The Batcave needs some damn safety rails. Bruce must have severe Vertigo tolerance because some of those platforms in the cave are just an accident waiting to happen! I was trying to inch backwards from the edge without looking like a Batpuss.

number11

Am I the only one who can't get this thing to focus. Things are in focus if they're centred.. but the image is blurred as you look at the corners. Is this meant to happen?

RoyalFool

Banned
I was wondering why on earth job simulator was so expensive, but then I played the demo! Never had so much fun throwing hot coffee at a co-worker before in my life, the tracking was also really good on it and I felt like I had a quite a big radius around me that I could interact with pretty accurately.

Loved the gentle underwater demo (without the shark) too.

I did think my headset was fucked as no sound came out the right headphone, but just hadn't pushed it in all the way - weird how it needs clicks 'twice' to work, was ready to RTM it almost.

Noticed a lot of chromatic abrasion around the edges of the screen, more so than the dev kit. Anybody else got this on the retail model?

FutbolBat

Banned
You went to two whole stores? Well I'm convinced. Surprised retailers don't hire you and pay you for this kind of razor sharp analysis.

Btw I went to the grocery store this morning and the person in front of me was buying milk, and so was I. Clearly this must mean that everybody in the country is buying milk today. How is America going to deal with these epic milk shortages?
No interest in my town other than the preorder crowd that lives with their parents.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So will a HDMI splitter work? I've got a normal 1080p TV, I'd just rather have a direct connection from console to TV, and then have PS VR on a different connection.

Which one is your game? Your EU codes are all used but I don't mind supporting and paying for a fellow gaffers game.

Aww missed it. Gutted

Fox1304

All missed. Thanks anyway ;)

SJRB

Gold Member
Thumper in VR is fucking insane, like some bizarre trip. It's quite amazing.

Here They Lie, no idea what it was before I started, but it was also an amazing experience with a lot of really cool and creepy effects. Highly recommended.

Highlight so far might actually be the VR movie Allumette. Incredible artstyle which seems like stop-motion puppetry, and the way you can lean up close to the scenery and characters is some next-level stuff. I only checked out the little segment on the demo compilation, but I immediately downloaded the whole movie. It's free, so please give it a try.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've been playing for hours today and not felt queasy once which is fantastic news.

KellyNole

Just Missed it. Thanks

Shoeless

I have a bit of work to do today so I've only been able to dip in with PS VR here and there, but my two initial impressions are:

Batman Arkham VR is an amazing VR experience. Even if it's not a full game, it does so much amazing "I'm Batman" fanservice that most people will get a huge kick out of it.

Someone is going to die of cardiac arrest playing a VR horror game before the end of the year. That RE 7 Kitchen demo is just... I got through it, but it was actually unpleasant, and left me feeling very disturbed afterwards. VR horror is almost too effective, and some people are going to be damaged by it. If you thought letting a young kid watch a horror movie was too traumatizing, this is the next level of childhood trauma.

I would strongly advise any parent with young children to NEVER, EVER let them play a good VR horror game. It's going to mess them up, probably for life.

Damn, all of them gone already! Which game is it anyway?

takoyaki

Will a PSVR bought in the states work on a European PS4? It won't because the power outlets are different right?

I just checked the processing box, like the PS4 itself it's multi-voltage (100-240V). You can use a US PSVR with your European PS4 without using a converter, all you need to replace is the power cable. It's the same kind of cable as the PS4/PS3 slim power cable so you'll probably have a spare one already.

fukin' stayed up till almost sunrise last night cuz bestbuy promised they would have it go on sale online 3AM EST. They lied...

Woke after 3 hours of sleep...and got one. Arrives Monday :) CAN'T WAIT!!

the hype virtually sustained me through the work day lol

This is a situation where digital makes more sense, no need to take the headset to change games.

Ya, I'm pretty anti digital when there's a physical option, but I'm definitely considering making an exception for VR. Fortunately most titles are digital only so it makes it a tad easier.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm surprised at the reactions I'm seeing. I thought it would be a mixed bag of 'so-so' and 'good' but it appears people are being blown away by it. Jesus, now I need to start saving.

Damn dogs rubbing up against my legs while in VR making me jump.
That VR Worlds intro/main menu. Holy Shit!
Is there a VR section in the store? I haven't looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom