• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon First Information - May 10th 12:00 UTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juraash

I hope you mean "It looks like this is another character that isn't 10" and not "finally a character that isn't 10". The protagonists tend to get taller, thus likely older, with each generation judging by the dex size comparisons. BW's protagonists were designed to be ~16, but have been said to be ~14. And XY's protagonists are at least 17, since there's a 16 year old character that's younger than them.

That's exactly what I meant. I didn't realize X and Ys were that old though, I felt like they were younger than B&W's playable characters.

OygE0.gif

Kill me.

Kill me now.

Anura

I hope we go to an ice area early in the game... The issue with ice types is that you get them too late for it to matter, at least for in game

Crayolan

Based off the trailer. Can't handle criticism? Best stay away from these threads before you get your feelings hurt.

While it makes sense to expect it to be linear based on the previous 2 games, nothing in the trailer suggests that the path through the region is linear.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Based off the trailer. Can't handle criticism? Best stay away from these threads before you get your feelings hurt.

I never understood "linearity" in Pokemon, because the games are linear as fuck, with only difference usually just "oh hey, three gyms can be done in any order". And even then the only gen that thoroughly hides it is Sinnoh.

Also I find this post funny considering some of your old posts before if I recall.

Seil

That's exactly what I meant. I didn't realize X and Ys were that old though, I felt like they were younger than B&W's playable characters.

Alright, cool lol. There's an unfortunate number of people out there that are stuck on the 10 year old thing because of the anime x.x

But yeah, Emma from the Looker stuff in postgame is confirmed to be 16 in the game. And everything points to the protagonist being older than her.

I don't like it either, though this art did make me dislike it less:

I was on the same boat with my initial dislike of that water starter, but he won me over with this picture and his animations in the trailer. My only fear is that he evolves into some clown-seal abomination.

JoeM86

A player is going from one place to another in a video. The game is linear based on that?

Crap, I saw people climbing up a cliff through a carved out walkway. The real world is too linear.

Notice how absurd that sounds?

I always get the second version but I like the sun lion so much better than that moon moth thing. :(

The starters are a little underwhelming to be honest.

CTLance

...is the owl really wearing a bow tie? My first impression was a leaf bikini top. Weird as fuck, I know, but I can't unsee it now and it's kinda unsettling.

Hydrus

A player is going from one place to another in a video. The game is linear based on that?

Crap, I saw people climbing up a cliff through a carved out walkway. The real world is too linear.

Notice how absurd that sounds?

Yup, also based off the last 2 games in the series.

Definitely getting some Final Fantasy X vibes from the path-y nature of the environments we've seen in the trailer.

I don't think it's wrong to be concerned about this.

The overhead view we have of the region looks to have branching paths in it- particularly near the starting town.

Given the strong likelihood we're going to be visiting other islands in the archipelago, I wouldn't be quite so sure as you.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Wow, I am honestly underwhelmed.
Starters look shitty and the world looks kinda boring. But that Lion Legendary looks cool.

I will have to wait for the game to come out before I decide if i want to spend money on it...

ivysaur12

Banned
It seems silly to make any theories at all on the linear nature of the game either way based on a sliver of a map and footage of a character running for a few seconds.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Litten looks good but I'm somewhat worried of how out of control its evos are gonna get with those whiskers.

Team Moon all the way, tho.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yup, also based off the last 2 games in the series.

Again, no "less" linear than the old games where you pretty much only had one point of fighting three gym leaders differently at most. Fuck, RSE didn't even have that yet somehow people miss that.

Go ahead and recall whatever post you want.

Yeah it was about pokemon designs, my post was "the usual checklist of gaf posters in a pokemon thread", you reply was something about "criticism", to which I posted was "criticism?" with a gif of Colress laughing

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A series about beating eight gyms in order and then challenging the Elite Four is linear? Colour me surprised!

Aranjah

I am so salty for how much more I like the Sun legendary than the Moon one after being 100% set on Moon until today.
Badass lion >>>>>>>>>> Mega-Zubat.
:(

Both the mascots are pretty awesome. I'll be using Sun as my day one/main copy because I always lean towards the brighter covers, but I'll be excited to get my hands on the moon legend.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Moon Legendary looks amazing, incredibly unique, that's going to be my version. And I may be picking my first Grass starter, the owl is awesome!

Someone's already pointed out the fact that the Sun Legendary literally looks like Pyroar and Arceus fused right?

Edit: Also willing to bet nothing that Pokemon Galaxy is the next game, featuring Arceus on the box art, possibly coming to the NX in 2017?

SuperSah

Banned
Seeing frame dips in the different videos. Noticeable with the Moon legendary charging an attack.

Boy, Game Freak are fucking lazy man. Just optimise the damed engine. Is this gonna be another 2D field and 3D battle lagfest situation?

fahr

Why is linear synonymous with bad nowadays?

Because exploration is fun. Not being able to go off the beaten path and explore is frustrating. Depends on the game I suppose, but Pokemon should actively promote exploration. It's one of the core themes of the series.

Seil

Because exploration is fun. Not being able to go off the beaten path and explore is frustrating. Depends on the game I suppose, but Pokemon should actively promote exploration. It's one of the core themes of the series.

And there are usually at least a couple optional areas like caves, or segments of areas (sometimes large ones), along the way for that.

That said, I'm an advocate for making the games more open and having a more dynamic gym system, where you can challenge at least a couple at a time and have them scale with your badge count.

And there are usually at least a couple optional areas like caves along the way for that.

That said, I'm an advocate for making the games more open and having a more dynamic gym system, where you can challenge at least a couple at a time and have them scale with your badge count.
Plz!! I've been preaching this for years Gf it shouldn't be that hard! Let me challenge them In a different order.

Yeah, I agree. I think Sinnoh handled it the best, personally. But at the same time I don't think a game should be frowned upon for linearity. X and Y were pretty lacking in the exploration department as were OR/AS so I'd like to see a difference, but I do think it's jumping the gun to cry linearity as a negative (although I'm not saying that that's what you're doing).

Chunky

Chances of getting a new typing? I figure it'd make sense for Sunlion to be Fire/Light versus Moonbat's Dark/Rock.

I'm personally hoping for Cosmic type. There's already a fair few space-related Pokemon, these new legendaries, Dialga, Palkia, Arceus and Deoxys included, and these games seem like the right time to do it. It would also round the amount of types to a non-disgusting number. Bookmark this post.

Mestizo

You should play Platinum, HGSS, BW, and B2W2. They're some of the best games in the series.
You can skip Gen VI tho

Totally agree. Platinum-HG/SS-B/W is the masterpiece trilogy for me.
I wouldn't suggest to skip X/Y, it has still a lot of new things. Maybe OR/AS is completely skipable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom