• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

TWILT

Banned
Disappointing. *sigh* That and the lack of trainer customization in ORAS is killing my hype for the game. :/

At least there's the chance for Pokemon Z next year...

Did they outright say that? I'm assuming you'll be able to use them in battles but not trade them.
No, he's assuming while not understanding anything about programming. They will undoubtedly be usable against XY players, they just won't have their Mega models. It's as easy as the game sending a few variables to the other game, it's basic shit.

jonno394

Could you take new pokemon from gold and silver to red and blue? Isn't this just the same thing really? I thought this always happened tbh.

Sandfox

Several new Mega Pokemon not being available to those who only have XY is a lot more important than the usual new forme change for maybe one or two Pokemon that's exclusive to a third version/remake.

Some games have more than a few but even then the new Mega Pokemon are just incentives to get people to buy the new game. Most companies aren't going to completely cater to people who bought last year's game and just let them trade for or hack the game for everything new when they could do things like this.

ash_ag

There are a couple things to consider:
  • XY and ORAS have a separate online League
  • There are still unresolved Kalos/XY subplots (like Zygarde, Sea Spirit's Den and AZ's Floette)
  • Every Legendary Pokémon exists either in XY or in ORAS

Don't be surprised if XY do receive an update accommodating the new Mega Evolutions and mechanic changes in 2015 -- and potentially even add-on content for its unresolved issues. Of all new Mega Evolutions, what makes it rational to include Mega Lati@s in XY in first place? Plus, it makes sense to eventually only have one Gen 6 League. It'll be a problem to maintain two of them, come Gen 7.

Sami+

Well yeah.
When call of duty advanced warfare comes out i won't be able to use the new perks or maps in ghosts. But go ahead and keep posting "LOLNINTENDO" comments guys. Super productive

OT: the way that pokemon has always worked is that you transfer your pokemon to the new game and then you have them all in one game. You've never been able to trade back. You couldn't trade new pokemon from gold to red. Why is this any different. Its not like there's anything at all to do in XY after you beat the E4 anyway. LITERALLY LIKE TWO THINGS.

Since when was cross-game play a major feature of the CoD series?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
This is kinda worse. You don't get the XY features either, basically. And XY is effectively missing pokemon that are potentially relevant for competitive battling. At least if you buy Monster Hunter Extreme Ultimate G Unit you (I think) get all the content of the original but better, right?

They even avoided the whole "games with customizable characters have no personality!" thing, male and female trainers still had clear default models used in promo stuff, meanwhile in-game we could customize (almost) to our hearts content. It's super lame to miss out on this feature. I liked collecting clothes almost as much as collecting pokemon.
Too bad competitive battling will be moving to ORAS rules next year.

Anth0ny

Hmm, this seems pretty shitty.

Joe raises a good point about possible glitches, but you'd think they'd have a way around that.

Could you take new pokemon from gold and silver to red and blue? Isn't this just the same thing really? I thought this always happened tbh.

Red and Blue weren't made obsolete after a year.

Don't be surprised if XY do receive an update accommodating the new Mega Evolutions and mechanic changes in 2015 -- and potentially even add-on content for its unresolved issues. Of all new Mega Evolutions, what makes it rational to include Mega Lati@s in XY in first place?

Pff. You'll be asked to shell out for two new games and like it.

sonto340

They've never introduced new abilities and moves mid gen before. They've always been hidden in the code, even if you couldn't use them in-game.

I was able to trade back and forth between Diamond and Pearl and HeartGold and SoulSilver as much as my heart desired. The only exceptions were the oddly-coloured Pichus, which was fair enough because DS GAMES WEREN'T PATCHABLE. 3DS GAMES ARE. X AND Y HAVE ALREADY BEEN PATCHED.
Please tell me what you would do with your pokemon in X and Y. If you're going to buy OR/AS then just transfer your pokemon from X and Y to OR/A . If you're not going to buy OR/AS then you won't have megas to transfer back so its a non-problem. I don't see the outrage, sorry.

Wait, why is it expected that Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire be compatible with X & Y?

I am unfamiliar with the situation revolving around semi annual Pokémon releases.

SerTapTap

lol Game Freak are such a shoddy developer. They make great games but tech-wise they are always years behind. A hefty patch was probably beyond their technical expertise.

At least with Pokemon Bank it will be easy to transfer all your Pokemon.

The shit thing? Pokemon bank won't accept mega stones, so your megas are basically trapped. Mechanics for Mega pokemon are super shitty ATM.

Wait, why is it expected that Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire be compatible with X & Y?

I am unfamiliar with the situation revolving around semi annual Pokémon releases.

They are the same gen sharing the same pokemon, the remakes are built right off the engine of the new games of the gen too. You can trade between diamond and heart gold no problem.

This and no player customization is freaking disappointing.

Expected, but still disappointing.

Sometimes I wish Game Freak would show a little more ambition...

wrowa

Wouldn't such a patch break compatibility with unpatched X/Y versions? I think they value compatibility among different version of the same game higher than compatibility to a follow-up.

The lack of player customization is a real shame, though. No idea why they just cut features like that.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
If they're cross-compatible, then this is pretty stupid. So they're going to use the RBY <-> GSC method? They should at least keep the games on par every generation in my opinion if they are and will be.
And there's no character customization? That was one of the things I was looking forward to try out, considering I passed on X/Y. Dammit Game Freak.

sonto340

There are a couple things to consider:
  • XY and ORAS have a separate online League
  • There are still unresolved Kalos/XY subplots (like Zygarde, Sea Spirit's Den and AZ's Floette)
  • Every Legendary Pokémon exists either in XY or in ORAS

Don't be surprised if XY do receive a third version accommodating the new Mega Evolutions and mechanic changes in 2015 -- and potentially even add-on content for its unresolved issues. Of all new Mega Evolutions, what makes it rational to include Mega Lati@s in XY in first place? Plus, it makes sense to eventually only have one Gen 6 League. It'll be a problem to maintain two of them, come Gen 7.
FTFY ;)

MrBadger

That's a shame, but I guess they have to sell this game somehow.

Personally, I'm done with X/Y and gen 3 is my favourite, so I can't say this affects me.

Zeroneo

People who are talking about Red and Gold are missing the point. Those were different generations so it made sense. This, just like HGSS and DPE, is the same generation and they always allowed us to trade and battle.

Zomba13

I think people comparing this to being unable to use formes in previous versions need to take note that we can patch games this time around with the 3DS that we couldn't on the DS.

Also, to solve the problem of trading new items to the old game and deleting the patch just have it set up so if pokemon is holding x item from a list of the new items then they can't be traded or downloaded via pokemon bank on x/y. A new patch would be able to add info for the new attacks and mega evolutions and also bar the items from coming down.

Or, you know, don't bother patching the game. At least they patched the game breaking save bug in the big city.

Anth0ny

RBY = Gen 1, GSC = Gen 2.

Both XY and ORAS are the same gen. You'd think the Pokemon would be fully compatible with each game.

Maybe they'll drop Pokemon Z next year that is fully compatible with ORAS :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So X/Y players can battle OR/AS players, unless they have new mega evolutions?

Are we sure it's what they actually said?

the statement isn't exactly clear

but I read it more as you can fight ORAS Megas like how BW can fight BW2 forms, but you can't catch/have them in XY

wrowa

People who are talking about Red and Gold are missing the point. Those were different generations so it made sense. This, just like HGSS and DPE, is the same generation and they always allowed us to trade and battle.

Did remakes ever introduce new monsters before? After all, that's what happening here.

In before posts about self entitled gamers complaining about GF being lazy, etc.

Oops. I see im much too late.

No fucks given. My only qualms with gamefreak is that i how much the second installment outclasses the first release in a gen.

Sandfox

Fantasy Life got a free patch..why can't game freak do the right thing and do the same?

When did that happen? And even then I doubt its the same thing.

Uh, depending on how significant these megas change the metagame this is potentially pretty damn weird for that too. They've never bothered with a "remake gen" ruleset have they?

That has more to do with gen 5 not having a remake. Next year they're going to change the rules for sure.

RoySFNR

The only logical thing they could do. Nobody is gonna play a remake when every new feature can be obtained in the previous game through online trading. It's really fucking unethical, but it's the only they'll get people to buy this game.

Not interested. Might've considered if they improved upon character customisation or the battle engine but alas. Guess I'm sticking to the old metagame when I get my pokefix.

the statement isn't exactly clear

but I read it more as you can fight ORAS Megas like how BW can fight BW2 forms, but you can't catch/have them in XY

Please explain how attacks and abilities with effects that aren't programmed into X and Y will work. I'm genuinely interested.

SerTapTap

The only logical thing they could do. Nobody is gonna play a remake when every new feature can be obtained in the previous game through online trading. It's really fucking unethical, but it's the only they'll get people to buy this game.

Not interested. Might've considered if they improved upon character customisation or the battle engine but alas. Guess I'm sticking to the old metagame when I get my pokefix.

Mega stones can't be traded, battling online is a nice plus, but it is absolutely not "every new feature"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Uh, depending on how significant these megas change the metagame this is potentially pretty damn weird for that too. They've never bothered with a "remake gen" ruleset have they?

Move legality mostly, since stat changes and such don't really happen mid-gen, but learnable movesets/ability availability do.

Did remakes ever introduce new monsters before? After all, that's what happening here.

Even with that, games would have hidden data files of those.

So far only BW2 are the games where the new forms of certain mons weren't available in BW.

Please explain how attacks and abilities with effects that aren't programmed into X and Y will work. I'm genuinely interested.

Same way how they'd load original Megas I reckon.

Also I find it weird that we don't have Mega Diancie data in XY yet it debuted at the same time as Diancie.

Balb

Not really, but GameFreak didn't have the means to patch the games back then. Not sure why the need for progress applies to every developer except them.

Fantasy Life got a free patch..why can't game freak do the right thing and do the same?

The Link content was paid DLC (and it was quite expensive at that with the equivalent of irc 27$ in Japan) and you have to pay for it in Europe too.

Joe raises a fair point.

Edit: No player customization is disappointing though for those who want to play as a trainer with a different skin colour. Hmm.

Keyouta

If you want the ORAS features in the Kalos games, you'll be waiting for the enhanced version, possibly Z, next year. They should just patch in compatibility. What's Game Freak's excuse?

Somnid

Not a surprise. Mega evolutions are just a new version of formes which was a way to push people into buying new versions. But X and Y were already complete games, they don't owe anyone anything.

The customization thing is kinda shitty though.

Zareka

I can't be black in ORAS? Not even dark skinned like in XY?

Whhyyyyyyy :(

My trainer was the darkest skin available in XY and I really loved him :(

This is what's really making me mad. The lack of skin colours doesn't effect me but it's insane that they can not only exclude darker skin tones but outright remove them from the game after they'd already been added previously! I refuse to believe it would be that difficult to add customisation back in considering the system is already in place and the game runs on the exact same engine as X/Y. It's pure laziness and I really do not want to give Game Freak my money for half baked games.

harmonize

The only logical thing they could do. Nobody is gonna play a remake when every new feature can be obtained in the previous game through online trading.
What? This is how the entire series has worked up until this point. You didn't need HGSS if you had Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, you only needed to find somebody who owned them to get their legendaries, and they both sold fine.

Top Bottom