• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

For the sake of not segregating battle spot I'd like for them to add a patch to include the formes for battling purpose and to include new egg moves (I'm sure there will be some).

Both of these would not harm your games integrity. Unless you're a powersaves user or something (I blame them here as them being able to get 999 of every stone goes a long way to killing the appeal).

"This Save Data is not compatible with the version of the game you are playing".

If Konami did it with MGS4, I don't know why GameFreaks wouldn't be able to.
The game needs to programmed with that in mind. I can play my XY saved on V1.2 on a 3DS with no patches (I also buggered my friend safaris up with this as the friend list changed...when I want to XY I had lost a few including my Ditto one...thankfully I'm done with that aspect of the game) proving that they did not.

To go further remember the latest Grand Turismo game didn't care for checks and so by deleting patches you could sell corrupted cars for ridiculous sums of in-game money and so skip the grindfest of earning money to buy cars. This also killed their model of buying in-game money...

But I know at least one 3DS game cares. Super Smash Bros. It won't load your save if you are playing on a version lower than that was made on.

My post about this
They must have known there would be future games with more mega evolutions so could have made plans to avoids this making that a justification to do nothing at all a real amateur hour. Then again the performance issues with the game were kind of evident of that anyway.

SeZMehK

I can't wait for the demo. This is scratching my itch to go back to my Y version and breed new pokes and to store my other pokes into the bank.

Kuga

Absurd if true. Some developers are really out of touch. This isn't cross-hardware/engine/pokemon generation. I fail to see how upgrading X/Y with a patch isn't easily feasible.

On the patch/save compatibility concerns - version checking is a thing for saves and local/online connectivity. If the framework doesn't exist with the current X/Y build, implement it on the new version (so it won't talk to older versions and reformat the save file for the same reason).

Customization was nice too - why take such a drastic step backwards? Poor decisions all around.

Zalman

What would happen if they DID put out a patch and people deleted it after trading in the new mega evolutions? I'm not a developer, but I'm pretty sure it would break the game. I can see that being the main reason why.

Besides, we got what we were promised with X/Y. They're not taking away anything from those games. When the R/S remakes were announced, nobody expected more mega evolutions. Game Freak didn't have to do that. The games would've sold anyway. They went the extra mile to add more content specifically for these titles. I don't see anything wrong in that.

MrBadger

If you want the ORAS features in the Kalos games, you'll be waiting for the enhanced version, possibly Z, next year. They should just patch in compatibility. What's Game Freak's excuse?

Jqiiy.gif

Andrefpvs

No, he's assuming while not understanding anything about programming. They will undoubtedly be usable against XY players, they just won't have their Mega models. It's as easy as the game sending a few variables to the other game, it's basic shit.

Are you forgetting how Megas work? You need to have the Pokémon hold a specific Mega Stone -- a hold item. If the hold item doesn't exist in X/Y, how do you expect them to handle non-existing items (for example, when using Frisk)? It's not like Forms in previous gens. There are new items, attacks and abilities. Stuff that X/Y doesn't know how to process.

I also imagine the games do more with hold items than this:

Code:
return pokemon.holditem.getname();

So yeah, I don't see new Megas being usable against X/Y.

Sandfox

This is what's really making me mad. The lack of skin colours doesn't effect me but it's insane that they can not only exclude darker skin tones but outright remove them from the game after they'd already been added previously! I refuse to believe it would be that difficult to add customisation back in considering the system is already in place and the game runs on the exact same engine as X/Y. It's pure laziness and I really do not want to give Game Freak my money for half baked games.

They did it because its a remake and they just wanted to keep the characters like the original design, but obviously people don't like losing that feature in this game.

Wanderer5

Disappointing. *sigh* That and the lack of trainer customization in ORAS is killing my hype for the game. :/

At least there's the chance for Pokemon Z next year...

The lack of trainer customization could be cause this is a remake, thus it being faithful to the original by having just the two trainers.*shrugs*

I'm thinking the only excuse is because there's not much to do post-game in XY besides catching legends and finding mega stones.

Besides that, I don't like the no-customization route they decided to take.

Sandfox

Are you forgetting how Megas work? You need to have the Pokémon hold a specific Mega Stone -- a hold item. If the hold item doesn't exist in X/Y, how do you expect them to handle non-existing items (for example, when using Frisk)?

There are ways to handle things like that and we'll see I guess.

I should have known that mega evos would be a new way to differentiate same-gen entries. The justification for the lack of customization options is also hilariously stupid.

What would happen if they DID put out a patch and people deleted it after trading in the new mega evolutions? I'm not a developer, but I'm pretty sure it would break the game. I can see that being the main reason why.

Besides, we got what we were promised with X/Y. They're not taking away anything from those games. When the R/S remakes were announced, nobody expected more mega evolutions. Game Freak didn't have to do that. The games would've sold anyway. They went the extra mile to add more content specifically for these titles. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Any developer worth keeping would have planned for this. It can't have been a secret there would be more than one game in the pokemon generation, or that they were going to introduce more mega evolutions. The answer then is simple : if an item has an invalid identification number, make it default to something useless with a generic description that does nothing until the patch is reinstalled.

The very nature of megapokemon make it a non issue too : you could never bring one out without the patch installed if they did the above.

The lack of trainer customization could be cause this is a remake, thus it being faithful to the original by having just the two trainers.*shrugs*
So why are all these new features in the game? Why even have any Pokemon after 386 in there? That's not "faithful" to the originals, is it?

wow i really don't care at all about this

a little peeved that trainer customization won't be returning, but I was never terribly fond of it so it's really neither here nor there

I'm super excited for this game though.

Yes. Sorry.

Hugely disappointing. It was my favorite feature in XY and I was really looking forward to it here, since I somewhat dislike how the male trainer looks. I'll still get it because I love Pokemon and I'm sure the rest of the game will be great, but come on Game Freak. What are you doing?

Pokémon X / Y will be compatible with ORAS, but there will be no patch to make the primal evolutions available in X and Y. The same goes for the new mega evolutions.
That doesn't seem too bad. I can understand being bothered, but iunno, just seems like a minute thing to be bothered by. Either way, I go full CoD with Pokemon and put aside the prior game when I buy the next so X/Y is already obsolete anyways. I'm sure most are the same so I can understand GameFreak already focusing on the next game (and next year OR/AS will be obsolete when Z comes out).

HardRojo

Is this the first time that games in the same generation become obsolete competition wise? X and Y will be left behind now.

Wanderer5

Meh the lack of trainer customization doesn't bother me much, cause I didn't play X/Y so I haven't really looked into, but does seem like a step down, even through I get the feeling they wanted this to be faithful to the original R/S in that regards heh.

I wonder how the 3D is going to be like through. It sounded like it kind of crappy of how they put it in X/Y, or left it out.

roknin

:-|

Not going to lie, that is a huge blow to my enthusiasm about the games, to the point I'm probably not "day one" on them now, if I don't just wait til later considering how much other stuff I have in my backlog.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Never take things for granted with GF.

Guess I'm sticking with XY for a while, then. Made so may good steps forward then drop something THAT basic.

Fucking ugh.

brinstar

I'm more curious about if the X/Y mega stones are in OR/AS. I don't plan to go back to X/Y after getting the new games anyway.

Wanderer5

So why are all these new features in the game? Why even have any Pokemon after 386 in there? That's not "faithful" to the originals, is it?

Don't know, but I don't see what other reason they would take it out beside being faithful to the originals by having just the default trainers. Course maybe there is another reason after all that beyond stupid or something.

Edit: *reads the article a few posts above*

"In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game. " Oh well okay.....

Somnid

Is this the first time that games in the same generation become obsolete competition wise? X and Y will be left behind now.

Been like this since Platinum (formes). If you want to get technical the 3rd versions always had extra movesets so they always had an advantage.

Ibuki

Banned
Why would they be obligated to give X/Y users the new megas and primals through a patch? We should be able to battle with them, but I don't get why people think they should have access to the new megas, etc in their old game.

So we will all be clones when we fight each other? That is a bummer!

Edit: Hopefully we can at least pick different trainer types like in Black/White.

Vlitra

Banned
Trying to figure out how I feel about this. Could people with Super Street Fighter 4 fight online with people who had Arcade Edition?

lupinko

Why would they be obligated to give X/Y users the new megas and primals through a patch? We should be able to battle with them, but I don't get why people think they should have access to the new megas, etc in their old game.

The fear is that the two can't battle regardless.

Zareka

They did it because its a remake and they just wanted to keep the characters like the original design, but obviously people don't like losing that feature in this game.

Not good enough. The original designs wouldn't have magically disappeared with the inclusion of customisation, and they could have used the default for marketing if that's what they wanted, just like with X/Y and literally every other game with a customisable protagonist. Also, if they really wanted to be faithful to the originals to the point of NOT including newer features, why the hell are they touting megas? And all of the other post-gen 3 stuff? There's no excuse. It's straight up laziness.

The time machine was glitch central.
When it wasn't it turned Gen I into Amnesia central (utterly broken in Gen 1 due to special attack and defense being the same stat).

As for examples of the glitches for people curious, you could skip the non Gen I move check by trading a trade evolution Pokemon at the level they learn a Gen II move and trade back without leaving the link room. Gen I now has glitch move.

I didn't think this would happen seeing as they like to make a big deal out of Megas and would use them as selling points. I wouldn't mind a patch in XY but now that obviously isn't going to happen.

In regards to customization, I never cared for it at all. I used it once near the start of the game and never used it again. At the same time, I don't really know why it was left out. GF made a big deal about XY being based on France and fashion being more associated with it while Hoenn is a tropical taking on a region in Japan. Still, it doesn't make much sense. Like Pokemon following you (which would probably make the game run even worse if it was included here), I found it pointless so I'm not too bothered by its exclusion.

Can I transfer my pokemon from x/y to oras? If so, then i don't really care. I just want to use my mega pinsir in oras.

Yes. They're in the same generation, so they should be compatible with each other.

HardRojo

Been like this since Platinum (formes). If you want to get technical the 3rd versions always had extra movesets so they always had an advantage.

But you could always transfer Pokémon with those movesets to whatever version you wanted within that generation, you could also use them for battles against any version right?
Now that you mention Platinum, the new Pokémon formes couldn't be used in Diamond and Pearl so yeah, not the first time. Though legendary Pokémon are usually in the Uber tier I guess.

backlot

But you could always transfer Pokémon with those movesets to whatever version you wanted within that generation, you could also use them for battles against any version right?
Now that you mention Platinum, the new Pokémon formes couldn't be used in Diamond and Pearl so yeah, not the first time. Though legendary Pokémon are usually in the Uber tier I guess.

Rotom isn't legendary and its formes were actually really great. It really sucked not being able to use them online at all due to compatibility. I sure hope GF doesn't pull something like that again.

johnbone

Not good enough. The original designs wouldn't have magically disappeared with the inclusion of customisation, and they could have used the default for marketing if that's what they wanted, just like with X/Y and literally every other game with a customisable protagonist. Also, if they really wanted to be faithful to the originals to the point of NOT including newer features, why the hell are they touting megas? And all of the other post-gen 3 stuff? There's no excuse. It's straight up laziness.

How can you say it wasn't a design decision to keep the original protagonists? Just because other new features like Megas are being brought over doesn't prove that GF didn't bring the character customizations over out of simple laziness!

...I hate when people call developers "lazy" BTW, as if you have ANY idea how hard game design is.

Top Bottom