• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits the #1 top grossing iOS spot in both the United States and Australia

Given how massive ingress is and still is, if pokemon even captures a bit of the spark from both pokemon and ingress, then you got a monster of a hit. Will have long legs and everyone playing it.

Probably got a lot of ingress players playing it, on top of pokemon fans. What people in the console world don't realize is how massive ingress is. (Ingress being Niantics previous title and what Pokemon Go is based off of for those who aren't familiar with it.)

maruchan

I always forget about Creatures.
Don't forget that Nintendo also owns a big stake in creatures, in reality Nintendo owns more 50% of the Pokemon company...

Also did Nintendo fucked by not making nintatic make sure You had to sign up for mynintendo account...

udivision

Don't forget that Nintendo also owns a big stake in creatures, in reality Nintendo owns more 50% of the Pokemon company...

Also did Nintendo fucked by not making nintatic make sure You had to sign up for mynintendo account...

I feel like this whole game didn't get the proper support it deserved from the "big wigs" behind it

Toxi

Banned
Looking forward to Dark Souls GO next.

6uFTQdQ.png
I would play the hell out of this.

And then make a Gym with a CP 999 Bonewheel Skeleton.

I wish Game Freak had more input in this. Theres so much hype coming from my friends on Facebook but it still annoys me how half assed it is. The art is garbage. It crashes all the time. At least the Pokémon models are good.

udivision

I wish Game Freak had more input in this. Theres so much hype coming from my friends on Facebook but it still annoys me how half assed it is. The art is garbage. It crashes all the time. At least the Pokémon models are good.

I feel like, "Why would they want to?" though.

Since they will make more money from this than from releasing a full on new generation 3DS game maybe they'll pour some of that back into this game. Yes I think GO will make more than Sun/Moon ever will

MuchoMalo

Banned
Best thing some of the hardcore pokemon fans claimed this is just a spinoff and wouldnt impact pokemon canon games.

This game most likely will have 200million downloads in a month or something crazy

It seems premature to imply that this could replace the main series or something

Game Freak are the masters of touch screen and quality!
iUr6yCO.jpg

Honestly dont know why people expect trading and battling, noone wants this to replace the normal series

It seems premature to imply that this could replace the main series or something

Never implied that, you know they are going to have to make changes if this game stays popular.

Gutss

Never thought that the Tamagochi craze back in the days will be tops, that thing is phenomenal back then. i guess games with some reality features is our future.

Like what? Make it a fully AR franchise or going fully mobile?

Well only 10 years ago they had download stations in USA, EU and AU for promo pokemon, it seems like using cloud for events and gyms should of happened by now. Not using codes from local retailers like now in 2016.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well only 10 years ago they had download stations in USA, EU and AU for promo pokemon, it seems like using cloud for events and gyms should of happened by now. Not using codes from local retailers like now in 2016.

The code thing stems from retailer deals though. Most events are just straight downloads. I don't think we'll ever see gym DLC though.

gcubed

Given how massive ingress is and still is, if pokemon even captures a bit of the spark from both pokemon and ingress, then you got a monster of a hit. Will have long legs and everyone playing it.

Probably got a lot of ingress players playing it, on top of pokemon fans. What people in the console world don't realize is how massive ingress is. (Ingress being Niantics previous title and what Pokemon Go is based off of for those who aren't familiar with it.)

Is ingress still that big, it's very addicting but wasn't sure how many people still played it.

Right now it's a stripped down bare version of ingress. They need to improve rapidly if they want to keep people's attention, and that's alongside fixing servers. I guess the Pokemon name gives them some leeway with timeframe for development.

Is ingress still that big, it's very addicting but wasn't sure how many people still played it.

Right now it's a stripped down bare version of ingress. They need to improve rapidly if they want to keep people's attention, and that's alongside fixing servers. I guess the Pokemon name gives them some leeway with timeframe for development.

Ingress Event AegisNova San Diego circa 2 days ago.

So yeah, it's still big. But now you got some people going RIP Ingress to Pokemon Go.

The Mule

Anticipation goes a long way. Let's see if it has legs.

Unless the dev updates it with actually fun gameplay, it won't.

The game has done amazing things in terms of its virality/memeability and is great for the Pokemon brand, but the game becomes very thin after a few days.

This brief success will probably guarantee a sequel with a lot more content that will have legs, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Vex_

Banned
I live in the hood. This game will get me killed irl. I go straight from my car, to my apartment and vice versa. I try not to even touch the piss stained, spit swamped, shit filled streets unless I have paper bags around my shoes. I'm def not gonna go looking for pokemans.

jman2050

I think the people saying "the game is barebones" or "all you do is collect pokemon" or "the battling is super simple" have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this game is about.

The mere act of going outside, exploring your surroundings and gathering around hot spots and interacting (indirectly or directly) with fellow players in real life is the entire game. That was the whole thing they were trying to convey in the reveal trailer. Not saying that this inplementation will have lasting appeal like Ingress but this is not the type of game where a bullet point of technical and mechanical features tells even close to the whole story.

ViolentP

Unless the dev updates it with actually fun gameplay, it won't.

The game has done amazing things in terms of its virality/memeability and is great for the Pokemon brand, but the game becomes very thin after a few days.

This brief success will probably guarantee a sequel with a lot more content that will have legs, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Personally speaking, I played it the day of release, haven't bothered to go back. I don't think it's deep, I don't think it's original, hell, I don't think it's a good game at all. I think a love for things Pokemon take this farther than anything the game itself offers. But I've seen less go further so let's see if Nintendo's next idea hits it.

zoukka

I live in the hood. This game will get me killed irl. I go straight from my car, to my apartment and vice versa. I try not to even touch the piss stained, spit swamped, shit filled streets unless I have paper bags around my shoes. I'm def not gonna go looking for pokemans.

It's time to move.

Kadin

I think the people saying "the game is barebones" or "all you do is collect pokemon" or "the battling is super simple" have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this game is about.

The mere act of going outside, exploring your surroundings and gathering around hot spots and interacting (indirectly or directly) with fellow players in real life is the entire game. That was the whole thing they were trying to convey in the reveal trailer. Not saying that this inplementation will have lasting appeal like Ingress but this is not the type of game where a bullet point of technical and mechanical features tells even close to the whole story.
I guess the thing I don't understand is how exactly does going out and socializing improve the game itself? I mean, yeah, that's a great thing to get people to do but what's the bottom line impact that it has for Nintendo and Niantic? How does that benefit them by getting people to meet and talk with others? Is it the belief that this will only strengthen the community of the game so in theory people will be compelled to spend money within the app, etc.?

Sterok

I guess the thing I don't understand is how exactly does going out and socializing improve the game itself? I mean, yeah, that's a great thing to get people to do but what's the bottom line impact that it has for Nintendo and Niantic? How does that benefit them by getting people to meet and talk with others? Is it the belief that this will only strengthen the community of the game so in theory people will be compelled to spend money within the app, etc.?

Beyond being a huge money maker, Pokemon existed to encourage socializing. Trading, battling, secrets you collaborated with friends to discover, etc. Gamefreak wanted their players communicating with each other. The Sun and Moon trailer also demonstrated this. GO is basically an extension of that philosophy.

Honestly dont know why people expect trading and battling, noone wants this to replace the normal series

Because they said there'd be trading and battling? (by which I assume you mean PvP) "Don't know why people expected trading and battling in a pokemon game." You're being disingenuous, stop.

And there will be.

Went out for the first time for a short 30 minute venture to see how the game interprets my surroundings. There's a bunch of graffiti art that it recognizes as points, that's pretty cool. Also a holy mary figure near the local church. It's actually more 'fun' than I had expected.

If this makes Nintendo more money than Sun and Moon do, they'd be rejoicing.

They would not, however, be planning on canning their 15 million-selling tentpole series in order to jump entirely into mobile.

Skatterd

If this does indeed have long legs and remains a pop culture hit for a long time it will be interesting to see how it steers the future of Nintendo.

I was out in SF last night until midnight, everyone around was playing. Multiple times people would pop modules and we would all sit and play for 30 minutes. It was a blast, I can't wait to go again tonight! Hopefully a friend feature gets added.

Oxn

You've been so negative about this game but you still check on it.

1RHmMaE.png

(can't wait for gen II)

Im waiting for that I told you so moment, when in 2-3 weeks you see a huge drop in users.

I wouldnt mind a Gen 2 if they actually put some effort into making a real game.

Im waiting for that I told you so moment, when in 2-3 weeks you see a huge drop in users.

I wouldnt mind a Gen 2 if they actually put some effort into making a real game.

In 2-3 weeks, the app will most likily have launch officially in more countries causing another increase in userbase lol. We will see the real user base after 3 months i think.

w0s

However long it lasts at least for now it has the kids wanting to take walks. Not that they don't get out or exercise but it is nice to have yet another reason they want to.

Nah, I looked at some of the estimates and it's certainly so high that it will outclass any other product they have (merchandise profit margins also vary wildly, and a 30% cut is very good in the context). Not to mention the fact, that mobile gaming spending behavior is very dependent on customer lifetime, so even with a middling retention it's ARPDAU is going grow substantially. The model definitely has room to be one of Nintendo's business pillars.

A few things:

1. Isn't apple's cut 15% now on IAP? I seem to remember that being changed recently but maybe that was only for music/movies?

2. I looked up some stats, it looks like the 5th ranked Top Grossing game -- Mobile Strike -- was averaging 850k a day if I read the stats right. So I presume one could guesstimate that Pokemon Go is making more than that?

Top Bottom