• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

border

I stopped just because it's useless to take on a gym when people who have more time than you to play make it impossible.

You should not be trying to take down other team's gyms.

You should be looking to add your Pokemon to stable, successful gyms that are currently owned by your team. Not only is it less expensive in terms of Potions and Revives, but now those people who have more time to play will be working in your favor rather than against it.

Find Level 6/7/8 gyms in out of the way areas without a lot of foot traffic......train them up to level 8/9/10 gyms and add your Pokemon. Try to make sure they will end up somewhere in the middle of the lineup.

I have like 5-6 Pokemon in Level 8/9/10 gyms that are probably never going to be toppled just because they're stuck out in suburbia or rough neighborhoods or in industrial areas.....it's an easy 60 coins per day. At this point, who wants to screw with a Level 10 Gym when there are so many scrub gyms you could take down instead?

Roufianos

The game just has no respect for the player.

There's no way to actually track Pokemon which should surely be the core of the game.

Transferring Pokemon is needlessly complicated and should be streamlined.

You have to actually have the app open for it to function which is a massive battery drain and inconvenient in general.

You encounter the same fucking Pokemon over and over. I've seen 200 Drowzees at this point.

The game just has no respect for the player.
What?

There's no way to actually track Pokemon which should surely be the core of the game.
How To Use The Nearby Bar To Track Pokèmon In Pokèmon Go. It's simple geometry.

Transferring Pokemon is needlessly complicated and should be streamlined.
If you want to trunsfer hundreds of them, sure, but on a case by case basis I've no idea why you'd say this.

You have to actually have the app open for it to function which is a massive battery drain and inconvenient in general.
Yep, this one sucks. Wish there was a "non graphic" mode or something.

You encounter the same fucking Pokemon over and over. I've seen 200 Drowzees at this point.
Well, if you want different pokemon, go to different places. There are nests you know. Also, there are rare spawns you can actually begin to determine after a while. Over here I know where a Magmar spawns every now and then.

takriel

It's a shallow game. I ran out of Pokeballs since the latest patch made it harder to catch Pokemons. Not paying one cent for this shallow experience. Good riddance. Hello Sun/Moon!

DavidDesu

Not sure why anyone expected anything different. Haven't played myself but it seemed like a fairly shallow experience in the end. It was a huge trend, for whatever reason, with mostly non gamers getting involved in the hype, but with not much to do after a while. It was always going to be this way unless they had planned ahead to constantly have ramped up features from the day of launch and kept it evolving and changing on a daily basis, but I guess it isn't really doing this, or doing it as quickly as it would have needed to to have kept people engaged.

Funny how people come out and say THIS IS THE FUTURE... I wonder how many start ups are two weeks into making their own shitty version of this who are quickly re-evaluating their plan now. It's just modern times in a nut-shell. Trend becomes massive, 2 months later everyone's over it.

Cuburt

It's about as deep as No Man's Sky, has more staying power, didn't make insane promises it couldn't keep, and it didn't cost $60.

I think it will be fine.

kinggroin

Banned
Excellent performance overall. Especially considering the typical drop off for mobile games.

The game needs more polish, but helluva job to Niantic and everyone involved. Hope gen 2 comes out the gate with less niggles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Like any popular meme/pop culture trend it burns out pretty quickly. You don't really see people on hover boards anymore either. Still funny that some people thought Nintendo could carry Pokemon Go's success into NX.
Come on stop with the hyperbole... Reading this thread would make you think they are less than hundred Pokémon Go players left worldwide....lol.

Go will be here for years... So no it won't be dead next March by the time NX launches.

Davey Cakes

The game is totally a social thing. My friend asked me today if I still play it and I had to say no. Like, I wish I cared. The thing is, he has a wife who's also obsessed with the game. So there's a lot of social reinforcement there. But, for me, the purpose is lost. If someone invites me out on a PokeHunt then sure, I may join. But otherwise I'm not out and about enough to really get the most out of the game.

Also, after playing Pokemon games for many years (started in 1998 with Red and ended with White) I just can't get past how shallow Pokemon GO is in comparison to the real thing. Even Pokemon Diamond, the version I liked the least, I put 75 hours into. Pokemon GO has nothing to really bring me back or feel like I'm progressing or "completing" anything. I focused on completing the Pokedex but now I just don't really care. Eventually more generations will be added and, at best I'd have completed the Kanto dex but there isn't much motivation to do so.

I'm not anti-smartphone game but Pokemon GO is exactly what I can't stand about smartphone games. Good ideas but so limited and unsatisfying in their implementation.

As a social experience, it's great. Aside from the first week of satisfying hunting (thanks to the tracking system which quickly became broken), playing with my friends was a nice little thing to do on a Friday evening, going to a popular spot. But that's a quick novelty for me, and something that I barely care to do again.

I wish the best for the game because it's a really cool idea but I feel like, for a lot of us, it just doesn't have lasting power. For those who keep at it and can enjoy the continual updates, I'm happy that you're enjoying Pokemon to this extent. It's like 1998 all over again. But for anyone else, I'm totally with you in not needing to play anymore.

From my perspective, as a Nintendo fan, the best thing about this app is that it's fueling sales of actual Pokemon games. The ball is in Nintendo's court to not just guarantee Sun and Moon sales (as if those sales aren't already a sure thing) but to fuel this for whatever Pokemon games are on NX (potentially including S&M).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nearly everyone I knew who played it that wasn't a nerd to begin with has dropped it like a bad habit and my hardcore pokemon friends didn't care for it at all because of how shallow it was and unlike the past games. I'm not surprised it lost a huge amount of people though it sounds like its still doing very well.

rrvv

It's about as deep as No Man's Sky, has more staying power, didn't make insane promises it couldn't keep, and it didn't cost $60.

I think it will be fine.

They still haven't fulfilled their initial promise though (trade, team battle, legendary fight)

Stencil

What?

How To Use The Nearby Bar To Track Pokèmon In Pokèmon Go. It's simple geometry.

If you want to trunsfer hundreds of them, sure, but on a case by case basis I've no idea why you'd say this.

Yep, this one sucks. Wish there was a "non graphic" mode or something.

Well, if you want different pokemon, go to different places. There are nests you know. Also, there are rare spawns you can actually begin to determine after a while. Over here I know where a Magmar spawns every now and then.

Lol @ bolded and the rest. The fact that any of this even needs any explanation is in itself an issue I found with the game. I shouldn't have to know there are nests etc. Why doesn't the game tell me that? Why do I need to read forums and articles with diagrams to figure out how integral mechanics to the game should work?

I think the spawn rate needs to get better (at least to broaden the subset of 'common' Pokemon) but "you always see the same Pokemon" is kind of the point of the game. If you're always visiting the same places, you'll see the same shit with a couple of outliers, otherwise there'd be no point to completing the Pokedex if you could get everything in three/four places. I agree with a lot of the other problems but the "you always see the same Pokemon" is a really odd complaint for me.

bumpkin

There just isn't much to do in the App. You can't trade with friends. You can't battle other trainers outside of the gyms. I know the reason is they don't want to give away the experience they make us pay for on the 3DS, but unless they want the App to keel over and die, they have to add something meaningful.

shandy706

the real news.....is how insane pokemon fever is though for the real pokemon games instead of this mobile fiesta. Sun and Moon is going to sell a shit load

Playing through one for the first time ever at 33 years old. I ignored Pokemon as it was a "kids" game to me when it came out. Never paid it any attention.

I'm starting with Yellow and it hasn't been too bad. I'm about 8 hours in...I think. I've not figured everything out yet though, lol. I've not used a single "tm"..not sure when I should, or who I should give them too, heh. I also have 6 Pokemon I've concentrated on and they're all level 18-22. Not sure if I'm doing it right, but I've not had trouble moving forward at all. I just got onto the S.S. Anne (sp?).

krang

It was fun for a while, I guess. But it just didn't give me any reason to come back to it. I run a lot, so it's not like being outside was a novelty.

I wonder if it'll take AR as a genre with it...

Not having the app be able to track my distance when my screen is locked is what caused me to stop playing.
This and the current lack of a tracking system are my two biggest grievances.
This in particular is a huge oversight and makes you wonder if they've ever used a walking or running app.

Lol @ bolded and the rest. The fact that any of this even needs any explanation is in itself an issue I found with the game.
Would you like the game to include a tutorial or an easier way to mark down this procedure? Because, I mean, that'd be cool.

Seriously though, Niantic is already working on a new radar system. The catch is that rural areas are still fucked, but this system works everywhere right now. I've used it to catch a lot of pokemanz.

I shouldn't have to know there are nests etc. Why doesn't the game tell me that? Why do I need to read forums and articles with diagrams to figure out how integral mechanics to the game should work?
Because it's a social game. I didn't know where the nests were until I spoke to a few friends. I'm still looking for a place to get a pikachu, and today I found where two Jigglypuff spawn all the time.

No surprise, No Man's Sky the mobile game.

Yeah, I remember all those broken promises made by Niantic:
-

How did everyone not see this coming?

Game was obviously a fad. And there's nothing wrong with that! Presumably it has made quite a profit.

daveo42

Banned
im_shocked.gif

Anyone who didn't see this coming is delusional. There just wasn't enough depth there to carry the game along more than a few weeks.

jax

Banned
How did everyone not see this coming?

Game was obviously a fad. And there's nothing wrong with that! Presumably it has made quite a profit.
Because it should have lasted longer than a week. Lol. If they didn't take out tracking it would have lasted at least three times longer.

Yeah, I remember all those broken promises made by Niantic:
"You will be able to track Pokemon"
Fixed that for you.

Nosgotham

did anyone expect it not to? its not a testament to how shallow the game is, its a testament to how wildly popular the trend was at its highest point near launch. that percentage were the hopalong who probably wouldnt stick with any game

jax

Banned
Yep. Also, fighting between trainers.

You can track pokemon as of right now. In fact, it's as easy as it was in the beginning for those of us who joined after the tree step thing stopped working.
In other words, you still can't track Pokemon at all. Almost a month later.

Fox Mulder

It's a shallow game. I ran out of Pokeballs since the latest patch made it harder to catch Pokemons. Not paying one cent for this shallow experience. Good riddance. Hello Sun/Moon!

Yep. I can toss berries and ultra balls at something, but it'll still hop out and flee due to a fucking random number generator or whatever.

Zero skill, zero depth.

Top Bottom