• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Go Loses More Than 15 Million Daily Users in a Month

Darryl

Banned
I'm stunned it's held out. I thought it would last ten days tops with how shallow it is. this game has had incredible retention in my personal opinion, far more than I could've expected

People seem to be missing that it still has a shit ton of players lol, and will be gaining lots of people back when they release new Mons

People seem to be missing that it still has a shit ton of players lol, and will be gaining lots of people back when they release new Mons
I'd say part of the mass appeal is people recognising the original 151 from their childhood. Once they go through Johto and move through to Hoenn a lot of people just won't care.

Durden77

Normal, especially with bans calculated in and such. And there's still a shit ton of people playing.

For a mobile game, that's actually a pretty good hold. It's been almost 2 months. 30 million daily users still got damn. I still see lures up all the time around Atlanta.

I'd say part of the mass appeal is people recognising the original 151 from their childhood. Once they go through Johto and move through to Hoenn a lot of people just won't care.

The main problem that comes with adding more gens would be if you add them, are they put in with the rest of the 'mons? Will the density of selection be detrimental to spawn rate?

I'd like to see a sort of toggle, where you can just go through the gens to catch them, but your gyms remain a constant.

jax

Banned
Because of literally everything else they need to fix. As well as more content. The way the app engages you is incredibly finite and light on things to do.

The game isn't finite, there's plenty of things to do (all of which require the tracking to actually work) Theres only a handful of people who have even caught all of the available Pokémon, most people haven't even seen all three fully evolved starters, all because it's fuckin impossible to track down certain Pokémon without the use of some dumb website.

Niantic killed their app and they should be held accountable for it.

Nerokis

Pokemon Go still has the potential to spike significantly with the right updates. The peak has passed, but something like a big combat update would bring a lot of people back, and keep people talking about the game.

We'll see if Niantic is up to the task, though.

ASIS

sorry, you think console games don't lose a third of their daily audiences within a month after launch?

When a console, PC, or a dedicated video game portable obtains a software that caused as big of a frenzy as Pokemon go, no I don't think they fade away as fast.

The game isn't finite, there's plenty of things to do (all of which require the tracking to actually work) Theres only a handful of people who have even caught all of the available Pokémon, most people haven't even seen all three fully evolved starters, all because it's fuckin impossible to track down certain Pokémon without the use of some dumb website.

Niantic killed their app and they should be held accountable for it.

It's finite in a sense that the encounter rates of most pokemon are greatly outmatched by the encounter rates of common types like Pidgey and Rattata in more immediate residential areas. And when most of your day (in this time of year) is at school or work for example, and your area is not a known bastion for pokemon encounters, you won't even bother checking the app. That's a problem, they need to fix it. Do they need to add good tracking in again? Yes. Is that the main reason for the steady lose of millions of users? Probably not.

That said, stop your hyperbole, dawg.

The problem I have with it is that it's a very barebones game, and it drains battery like crazy. After awhile I just got bored with it.

Chuck

Still without luck
needle-and-bubble.jpg

night814

People burned through the game fast like most gamers do now a days. If they were even that interested at all. How much of that 15 million drop played the game longer than a week? I imagine a third of that downloaded it and played for a few minutes. Another third maybe only a few days. In the current climate people aren't keen to keep doing something that requires you to activity play it. Candy crush retains because you can quickly and easily play anywhere anytime. If you boot up GO there may not be anything around. Think about the people who start a gym membership after the new year and then never go again after their first few times, people can't keep their attention on anyone thing anymore especially if it requires time.

I've been going on walks with my dog everyday for the past month just to hit the 8 stops in my small town. It's been good for both of us. But that's not how people want to play a game, I don't think at least. Also most games, movies, tv shows have significant drops in all facets after a few weeks, his is no different. No one expected the initial boom to last.

cyba89

When a console, PC, or a dedicated video game portable obtains a software that caused as big of a frenzy as Pokemon go, no I don't think they fade away as fast.

NMS went from >130k concurrent peak users on Steam to around 25k in less than two weeks. That's a pretty extreme case but overall it's perfectly normal to happen on dedicated gaming platforms too (if it's not some evergreen multiplayer title).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Think how you will about the game but you really don't understand how the concept "Pokémon in the Real World - and it's totally free for your Smartphone" can generate Hype?
No, not really...because it's not really Pokemon, at least how I saw it. I mean, there's pokemon there, but from what I understand all you can do is catch them (which doesn't require battles), right?

So yeah, no, I don't really get the hype.

That's still an insane amount of users. Considering there have been no real updates to the game that's pretty impressive. I can see things going back up when they actually patch the game with some new content to get people coming back. If they keep going like they are and add nothing then obviously numbers will keep dropping.

prag16

Banned
That's a shallower decline than I would have expected, to be honest.
This.

That said, many aspects of this have been mishandled and mismanaged. There's just no depth, and some of the updates they've made have made the game worse. They've added nothing of note since launch. Where are trading and head to head battling, etc.

That's still an insane amount of users. Considering there have been no real updates to the game that's pretty impressive. I can see things going back up when they actually patch the game with some new content to get people coming back. If they keep going like they are and add nothing then obviously numbers will keep dropping.
See, that's just it. They haven't done anything since launch but remove features.

Any other mobile developer would have been pushing new content and features out the door by this point, and instead we've got memes for patch notes.

Also, what's a daily user? I open the app once in awhile to see if anything notable's nearby, but that's it. Could this include people who just have the game open in the background and don't know how to actually close apps?

ggx2ac

This is starting to feel nostalgic, "Motion gaming is a fad, it's going to die, I told you so."

All the while businesses are analysing it's success and think, "How can we profit from this?"

You get something that's a success like Xbox 360's Kinect or a failure like the PS3's Move while a standard is set. Motion controls are found in Smartphones and still in gaming consoles like the 3DS, Wii U, PS4's DS4. Now it is also in VR Headsets and controllers for the VR Headsets like the Vive's controllers and Oculus Touch.

This is going to be a boon for AR gaming but it's not going to be the thing I am looking for since I am expecting a particular standard to be set for gaming in general but, I'm not going to bother spelling it out since expecting any serious discussion here would be a joke looking at the trend of the thread. lol

Also, what's a daily user? I open the app once in awhile to see if anything notable's nearby, but that's it. Could this include people who just have the game open in the background and don't know how to actually close apps?

I would say that a daily user would be someone with an accumulated amount of time with the app active each day. Those drop off when the daily activity turns into a weekly activity. Monthly activity will show just how many users actually used the app throughout the month.

They should make catch fucking easier. Simple, the only reason this number is still high is because a lot of people are using 3rd party trackers that makes you not waste your time walking around catching weedles. Even with third party apps, catching every single one of them is hard. Walking and bumping into rare pokemons is not happening and won't happen unless you're lucky. Using 3rd party trackers with better direction sense, bigger tracking radius, and timer makes it that much better.

They broke their game trying to make cheats not happen, and yet these apps still run and exist with 100% accuracy. Hell, these trackers even have the ability to catch Pokemons anywhere in the world, use multiple accounts to speed up the process, share locations with friends, loot pokestops anywhere in the world, notifications, background scans, ability to disable certain pokemons, and MUCH MORE.

*sigh* Those that are still playing, a small number of them are passionate enough to create these 3rd party apps to find a solution to this mess to enjoy playing. Instead, Niantic ruins their own game instead of fixing it.

Hell, watch them have an in-game item that increases your scan radius as a way of countering these apps.

(For full disclosure: I never used these apps to catch Pokemons, but only to scan them in my vicinity since the in-game tracker is busted. No, I haven't caught them all even after running for months, sometimes till 4am. I'm probably 50% there).

They take too long to update things but when they do it's nothing good or relevant (excluding fixing servers). I'm waiting till tracking comes back. Then just maybe ppl will slowly return until the relevant updates like Johto arrives.

Not

Banned
I'm still enjoying it, (and I will until I catch my Scyther) but yeah. Fad's a fad. I can't imagine how much this'll increase Pokémon Company's Sun and Moon profits though. It had its effect and then some.

Not unexpected and like stump said, no different from a typical console or PC multiplayer game.

However all those businesses and places of interest that tried to use Pokemon go to bandwagon and gain footfall look stupid as fuck now.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It gets boring pretty fast, the game is just as shallow as No Man's Sky :/

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Called it yesterday.

VERY few people are playing this now in NYC.

Shit was wild the first two weeks, not so much now.

Top Bottom