• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

Jamie OD

Exclusive first look at Alolan Golem!!!
sgTY8GT.png

Come on, come on, turn the radio on
It's Friday night and I won't be long
Gotta do my hair, I put my make up on
It's Friday night and I won't be long

Been playing the JPN version demo. The visual upgrade is rather scrumptious, and I love how polished it feels and how slick the interface and animations - both on models and in transitions - are.

It's a shame it's not N3DS-enhanced. Only the PokeFinder/camera sections have a low framerate, everything else runs like a dream. N3DS's extra power could have easily brought the camera sections up to a solid 30 as well.

I'm really impressed by the art direction, not only does it have a pleasingly unique aesthetic like previous 3DS Pokémon games, but the texture design is really something. The lack of texture filtering means the actual textures needed to be designed in a way that they appear great as you see them. It's really impressive to see the game use the actual character models as character portraits at the beginning of a battle.

iFirez

Still a greyed out 'Coming to Nintendo eShop' here in the UK.
This is because we voted to leave the EU isn't it... :( NOOOO

Just had my first battle. I love the addition of being able to see your stat increases (including stage of increase) right on the battle screen.

HeroOfTime

Neo Member
Yikes, dude. Why would I be lying? I went to the eShop and downloaded the demo :(
Not implying you are lying, sorry xD but germany and france already have it but united kingdom and Portugal dont, so not all of europe got it yet.
Im working so I dont have time to play it anyway, just want to download to play a bit during lunch
Edit: up on Portugal too!

Got the demo when I launch it all I got is "an error has occured". I'm on a O3DS and everything else works fine :/
Probably download error. Delete and redownload.

Another possibility is a problem with your SD card so if it still occurs after deletion and redownloading try another SD card if you can.

Only disappointment I would say for me personally is that there are no framerate improvements for those on a 'new ' 3ds. Other than that I can't wait

Why even make the PokeFinder a feature with that atrocious frame rate. Sad to think that something could have been implemented instead of PokeFinder. Besides PokeFinder, the game runs and looks great!

Dunkley

So what can you do after the Trial? I cleared it and got the trailer, but the game allows you to continue afterwards and I wonder what else is there to see.

JimPanzer

Only disappointment I would say for me personally is that there are no framerate improvements for those on a 'new ' 3ds. Other than that I can't wait

have you tried running it with the actual n3ds clock via customfirmware?

If the demo is on the Japanese eshop I can run a test when I get home tonight.

I don't know if it was established in any earlier trailers or leaks, but as someone who can sometimes forget match-up details I am a fan of the move screen giving you a hint at which of your moves are effective against Pokémon you've already fought.

Robin64

Is the content in the demo exclusive or is it in the main game? Any indication how long it is?

It's exclusive, it's not terribly long, but there are reasons to keep playing beyond the "end" and to check back in every so often. (NPCs give hints about things that will be happening in x number of days)

Anoxida

It's exclusive, it's not terribly long, but there are reasons to keep playing beyond the "end" and to check back in every so often. (NPCs give hints about things that will be happening in x number of days)

Nice! Can it release in US eshop already? I live in Sweden but I have an US 3ds... first time that has been a negative for me :(

Edit: I see main game releases 5 days earlier in US though. US 3ds comes through again. It's been consistently awesome having a US 3ds over a European one through the years.

The overworld is just such an huge step up from X/Y in my opinion. Everything looks way better, and I'm happy they went with the more realisic proportions for the NPC's.

The only baffling decision is the PokeFinder. It's the only part in the demo that allows 3D. But even with the 3D off it feels like it's running at 15 fps. What happened there?

And if you press on the Rotom on the bottom screen it moves around, it has a couple of different animations.

I wonder if bikes are in Pokemon Sun/Moon, because being able to ride around on a Tauros makes bikes kind of useless.

I think I've exhausted everything I can from today's demo. I really liked it. The battle features were an improvement, seeing an updated status screen on the touch screen for both yours and your opponents Pokémon was a nice touch. If it is a permanent option in the game to switch-in newly captured Pokémon if your team is full, then hell yes, as that's something I've wanted for years. I'll definitely check back to see what these daily events are. Perhaps we can import something more than just Greninja and the goodies from today!

Jazzem

Lack of New 3DS enhancement is disappointing...really unhappy how little that's been supported, considering so many games on the system would benefit from a boost in performance + image quality. This one especially, so much aliasing =/

Other than that, presentation is very nice, in particular I like the many UI improvements. Love the goofiness of the villain team too, though the bland Saturday morning writing lets them down somewhat.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Lack of New 3DS enhancement is disappointing...really unhappy how little that's been supported, considering so many games on the system would benefit from a boost in performance + image quality. This one especially, so much aliasing =/

Other than that, presentation is very nice, in particular I like the many UI improvements. Love the goofiness of the villain team too, though the bland Saturday morning writing lets them down somewhat.

Yeah that's a shame that New 3DS just get ignored by this title, hope that's just not the in the final game but I may be disappointed if I hope it to support C-Stick perf boost :(

They finally make a real 3D world and forget to support C-Stick and perf boost ? Come on, what's the point of the N3DS then ? Performance won't affect online battles so why not allow us to use the full power of our consoles...

The game is really nice but the lack of N3DS support is disappointing.

NotLiquid

Does this game get a performance boost from New 3DS? I don't remember the previous games running quite as well as this one, and those were with even less detail than this game.

EDIT: nvm I guess it was just answered above me.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Does this game get a performance boost from New 3DS? I don't remember the previous games running quite as well as this one, and those were with even less detail than this game.

EDIT: nvm I guess it was just answered above me.

There's no more 3D during battles now, even on N3DS :/

I did not notice any FPS drop during battles though, the only 3D enabled scenes are in the PokéFinder and it goes down badly on my ND3S XL, near 15 FPS, and 20-25 without 3D.

Top Bottom