• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

PK Gaming

Anyone else concerned about the script? It seems like a massive step back from 5 and 6. Team Skull excluded, NPCs couldn't be more lifeless. And Hau is straight up the worst rival in the franchise (so far)

Anyone else concerned about the script? It seems like a massive step back from 5 and 6. Team Skull excluded, NPCs couldn't be more lifeless. And Hau is straight up the worst rival in the franchise (so far)

The only time a Pokemon script felt off to me was Gen V which was the first new generation without Nob Ogasawara working on the localization. I thought Gen VI's scripts were an improvement and so far Sun and Moon's script seems standard to me.

I actually liked Hau a bit more than I expected while playing the demo. I'm also not sure how Hau could be considered a worse rival than May/Brendan or Serena/Calem. Not to mention that Hau might not be the main rival.

Kinsei

Banned
Only thing I am worried about right now is this game is too short/small. Maybe it's just the demo but the place feels very confined.

You're confined to a single town, a single route, and a single cave on the first island in the game. I don;t think we can really infer how big areas are going to be from stuff that we'll reach incredibly early on.

Mediking

I actually really like the script and Hau is your super friendly friend. He isn't a threat or rival at all.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I found the ORAS demo pretty dull, but this one is pretty nice so far---the music is phenomenal and very catchy, though I do agree with reviewers that the battle music is the weakest part, and I love how some songs like Kukui's theme have a quality to them like they were playing from a radio.

Graphics are nice and I enjoy all the little individual details in each building, though what bugged me was the nice introduction to the city and then hearing the really archaic cries of Machoke and Corsola---just a weird juxtoposition for me. I don't need them to go anime voices or anything, but the sound effects of many classic Pokemon is just too far behind where the graphics have gone. I do like how you hear the Pokemon crying as you walk around though. Nice atmosphere.

And that's the biggest part of the demo for me, this town has such a nice atmosphere and feels lived-in even though it's no bigger than Lumiose or Castelia thanks to how the NPC are placed, and I love they have a police station and a town hall which are elements Pokemon usually skips over completely. Will the full game actually see the government getting involved?

Only major complaints so far is the top-down camera made navigating the town a bit annoying, though I imagine the Rotom Dex will help with that thanks to the map, and it seems I was constantly bumping into everything. I hope you can sit down in the actual game because I kept wanting to do that out of habit and getting annoyed with that loud "bump" noise. Also while I enjoy the extra flair in battle, and the great UI, it seems really choppy when you send out Pokemon more so than in XY.

Really hyped for the final game though now, more than I was yesterday when the leaks exhausted me a bit. It seems it will be a fun romp and worth the low admission price if you own a 3DS already and want to get into Pokemon, or are a long time fan like me.

CTLance

Ooooof. Fecking finally. Brute forced the Alola Dugtrio event by reloading Ten Carat Hill about three bajillion times. Cripes. The completionist in me rejoices. Funny how the dugtrio sometimes spawns with its back to you. Cheeky bastard.

Now on to the Lillie event. She'd be to the left of the Pokecenter, at the railing, near that old guy that tells you that you have to speak to another old guy to get to Ten Carat Hill, am I right?

Gonna have to disagree that anything is wrong with the battle themes. I think both the wild encounter and trainer battle are both incredibly catchy and iconic-sounding.

RRockman

Banned
I really like if you spin in front of a person, like nurse joy for example then they will shake their head side to side as they attempt to keep up with your pirouette.

As a matter of fact NPC tracking your character has noticeably improved, Even the pokemon turn and face you when you bump into them! but I still think its weird when you walk in front of a person without looking at them and they just stare at you as you pass by. or if you stand close enough to trigger tracking but aren't actually talking to them they stare relentlessly at the back of your head. As if they are thinking intently about your character.

Ooooof. Fecking finally. Brute forced the Alola Dugtrio event by reloading Ten Carat Hill about three bajillion times. Cripes. The completionist in me rejoices. Funny how the dugtrio sometimes spawns with its back to you. Cheeky bastard.

Now on to the Lillie event. She'd be to the left of the Pokecenter, at the railing, near that old guy that tells you that you have to speak to another old guy to get to Ten Carat Hill, am I right?
Correct. Haven't tried it myself, but apparently you can guarantee her appearance by setting your 3DS clock to the 18th of November

Hey guys, probably late on this, but i went back into the place where you meet the mysterious old man again, and he had new dialogue saying no matter how much you come back he doesn't have anything for you.

I wonder if you keep going back everyday, he will keep saying new things?

I just started to play it a bit on the bus to work, I dunno how I feel about team Skull's movements lol, but I really like how much effort they put into the movement of the characters.

Also like how much info they have available to the player now in the battle screen without having to go through menus or look at them outside of battle.

Disappointed in the frame rate though. I would hope they could have smoothed it out after X/Y and ORAS but guess not. Does not sound like new 3DS solves it either. -shrug- Maybe the full game will be better, or possibly patched. Though not a big deal.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, probably late on this, but i went back into the place where you meet the mysterious old man again, and he had new dialogue saying no matter how much you come back he doesn't have anything for you.

I wonder if you keep going back everyday, he will keep saying new things?

It's not tied to time afaik; you can visit him ~5 times in a row and he'll say something different and eventually just start repeating the last thing.

The only time a Pokemon script felt off to me was Gen V which was the first new generation without Nob Ogasawara working on the localization. I thought Gen VI's scripts were an improvement and so far Sun and Moon's script seems standard to me.

I actually liked Hau a bit more than I expected while playing the demo. I'm also not sure how Hau could be considered a worse rival than May/Brendan or Serena/Calem. Not to mention that Hau might not be the main rival.
I miss Nob's translations a lot. They felt more like a native English speaker doing them. From HGSS onwards, the script felt a lot less natural, but at least in this demo it seems to have improved.

Dimmle

I was pleased with the script in the demo. Pokemon is a world where everyone, adults and children, discuss Pokemon with the same feverish level of adulation. The tone should essentially read like Axe Cop, with some level of self awareness toward its own absurdity. The police station and "mysterious old man" in particular are both pretty amusing examples of how I believe Pokemon dialogue should feel. Stupid and great.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Weird, I went to see the guy in front of the Pokémon Center but he's still telling me to come back tomorrow.

Sou Da

I was pleased with the script in the demo. Pokemon is a world where everyone, adults and children, discuss Pokemon with the same feverish level of adulation. The tone should essentially read like Axe Cop, with some level of self awareness toward its own absurdity. The police station and "mysterious old man" in particular are both pretty amusing examples of how I believe Pokemon dialogue should feel. Stupid and great.

The police event was pretty good.

You're confined to a single town, a single route, and a single cave on the first island in the game. I don;t think we can really infer how big areas are going to be from stuff that we'll reach incredibly early on.

It's a very controlled and limited demo. The content of this demo was said to not be in the final game.

For fucks sake
I just mean if all of the towns and routes are that small it might be a short game. We only have like what 4 or 5 islands? How many routes and towns/cities can there be when we aren't allowed to surf between islands? I am aware it is a demo but it feels more confined than previous gens.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it but having to open the gates, waiting for the load then being able to proceed is absolutely insane.

Like I can understand in a store or Pokemon center but its just loading some grass and maybe 3-4 pokemon types to spawn. Wtf

Can someone post/repost the days for when stuff happens in the demo? I got the event for today, but I can't remember the others.

Seeing as the question of what you can do after the first play of the demo keeps coming up, I'll summarise and repost the ones I know of here:

Anytime activities:
Ten Carat Hill
* go right, smash the rock and talk to the old man to begin a capture quest. You can catch and use pokemon for the duration of the test but you'll be forced to release them all when it ends. You only need 3 captures to get the prize.
* defeat the 3 trainers and the ace trainer
Town
* talk to the lady at the end of the road near the crowd of slowpokes, she'll take you to a place where you break rocks and get presents from a creepy old man :p

Time Delayed Activities:
1 day - man standing outside the poke centre
5 days - woman standing on the street corner
12 days - guy in the city hall celebrating pikachu's birthday
18 days - police man on the docks
24 days - woman in the ferry port building

Also the cafe in the pokecentre mention the owner is away for a month, maybe that's a time thing too? :eek:

That do you? :3

Unicorn

There was no 3D elements anywhere. Is that representative, or was it just not used in demo? The video trailer didn't have it either, battles didn't. Nothing did. Also, battles were hitchy for me (old 3DS XL).

Honestly I enjoyed XY more aesthetic wise. The chibi forms worked as a good compromise of polygonal and previous sprite work.

SoulUnison

Banned
What's the point of the little gated off "gardens" in the city, and why is there a fade out/in for interacting with them?

Bizarre.

There was no 3D elements anywhere. Is that representative, or was it just not used in demo? The video trailer didn't have it either, battles didn't. Nothing did. Also, battles were hitchy for me (old 3DS XL).

3D is dead it seems. I know. I love it too. I have thousands of hours on my 3DS and 3DS XL and I bet I've had the 3D disabled for maybe a dozen of them.

It's really sad to me that Pokemon is Nintendo's headlining portable series and they can't seem to get Game Freak comfortable with their hardware on even a minimal level.
GameFreak's always been kind of a mess on the technical side of things. It feels like they keep finally getting familiar with developing for a system in that system's last year of life.

SoulUnison

Banned
I miss Black/White's UI style.

OR/AS and Sun/Moon feel like they've had their menus designed by PlaySkool in collaboration with Fisher-Price.
Even X/Y leaned a bit too hard in that direction, but at least it had a selection of "wallpapers" to choose from.

I'm tired of the giant "primary color" buttons and such.

I just mean if all of the towns and routes are that small it might be a short game. We only have like what 4 or 5 islands? How many routes and towns/cities can there be when we aren't allowed to surf between islands? I am aware it is a demo but it feels more confined than previous gens.

It's supposed to feel different. It's not supposed to have huge cities and rustling and bustling towns. It's supposed to feel like quaint islands with a decent population inhabiting islands filled with nature.

It feels different because It's supposed to feel different

Karu

It's supposed to feel different. It's not supposed to have huge cities and rustling and bustling towns. It's supposed to feel like quaint islands with a decent population inhabiting islands filled with nature.

It feels different because It's supposed to feel different
As a counterpoint the island should still be rather huge and full of opportunities to explore though. And that necessitates a certain level of complexity in terrain and level design though. Still super curious and kinda excited how they build Alola as a whole.

Aleh

I doubt the same team that writes the full game script also did the one for the demo. It felt really basic and I still don't know what's up with the "were you flew here or were you grew here?" part lol

SoulUnison

Banned
I doubt the same team that writes the full game script also did the one for the demo. It felt really basic and I still don't know what's up with the "were you flew here or were you grew here?" part lol

How is that a hard line to figure out?

It's just "Did you move here or are you from here," but in rhyming pseudo-"street."

That line actually gave me hope that this localization will actually have some personality to it. Did you play Black2/White2? Parts of that game felt like it was run through Google Translate with nobody proofreading.

"He made friends right after he came to a foreign place. Children have the gift to make friends."

What the fuck?

Aleh

How is that a hard line to figure out?

It's just "Did you move here or are you from here," but in rhyming pseudo-"street."

That line actually gave me hope that this localization will actually have some personality to it. Did you play Black2/White2? Parts of that game felt like it was run through Google Translate with nobody proofreading.

"He made friends right after he came to a foreign place. Children have the gift to make friends."

What the fuck?
Well I'm not a native speaker, I never feel sure about these kinds of details. I was caught off guard because it's not something I usually see in Pokémon games, so I wasn't sure it was intentional lmao
Played BW2 such a long time ago I can't remember tbh

It's a taste thing, I know. I hate the direction to emulate the anime versus trying to emulate the original concept art from the game manuals of Sugimori.

It's not trying to emulate the anime, it's trying to emulate Yusuke Ohmura's (I think it's his) artwork scenes. All the ones of people interacting with pokemon that we always see, but could never be replicated accurately in the game before

320px-Sun_Moon_Rotom_Pok%C3%A9dex_artwork.png

Teknoman

All I know is that the trainer battle theme and wild battle themes have really grown on me. The first time I heard them...was really down on their style. Now? I cant wait till that drum sequence hits for trainer battle.

Teknoman

Kinda the same feel of "I am an important doctor!" or whatever was.

OrionX

Well I'm not a native speaker, I never feel sure about these kinds of details. I was caught off guard because it's not something I usually see in Pokémon games, so I wasn't sure it was intentional lmao
Played BW2 such a long time ago I can't remember tbh

I thought it was a dumb line too, but I tend to be sensitive to improper grammar. I'm sure Team Skull will be triggering me a lot, lol. It should've been "were you flown here, or were you grown here?" The punks clearly didn't stay in school though, so I guess it suits them. :p

Top Bottom