• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

Man, it's so crazy how much better these games look than last gen. I love the new art style and how it actually reflects the game art in the overworld now

tZ5iDqj.jpg

Zyrox

Man, it's so crazy how much better these games look than last gen. I love the new art style and how it actually reflects the game art in the overworld now

Yea, it's definitely a nice jump. Now if only the IQ wasn't so terribad...
Really can't wait for Pokémon to move away from the 3DS.

Qurupeke

Finally played the demo. It's fun. It's a lot more "3D" than I expected, I really like it. Battles seemed a bit slow, I don't really remember how fast XYORAS were, but overall really slick.

Fireblend

Banned
Finally played the demo. It's fun. It's a lot more "3D" than I expected, I really like it. Battles seemed a bit slow, I don't really remember how fast XYORAS were, but overall really slick.

I finished ORAS something like a month ago and I don't think the battles in the demo were particularly slower. Maybe the "intro" with the rolling grass is? But the battle itself is just about as quick.

ChrisDM

Speaking of the lady that is dating Machamp outside City Hall, I cannot get her event to trigger for the past 2 days and it is driving me crazy.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? She continually says to me, "I'm meeting him in--how many days was it? Oh yeah, 1!"

I mean it has to be some sort of bug with the timed events considering Eurogamer has this to say...

If you're struggling with the above, try restarting your system or trying again an hour or so later to see if it unlocks, as how the game works out these days exactly is uncertain; changing the 3DS clock doesn't change their phases, and the first unlock didn't occur despite playing it 24 hours after we started our demo playthrough (one day before release). Either way, returning on the above days should be your best bet to receive the additional items.

Speaking of the lady that is dating Machamp outside City Hall, I cannot get her event to trigger for the past 2 days and it is driving me crazy.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? She continually says to me, "I'm meeting him in--how many days was it? Oh yeah, 1!"

I mean it has to be some sort of bug with the timed events considering Eurogamer has this to say...

Ok, big warning here: from what I've read if you change your clock you lock out these 'day' events for 24 hours. For the 24 penalty period they will not increment and they will not acknowledge that you've changed the time. Changing your date and whatnot only seems to work on the non-reward random appearance stuff like lillie

ChrisDM

Ok, big warning here: from what I've read if you change your clock you lock out these 'day' events for 24 hours. For the 24 penalty period they will not increment and they will not acknowledge that you've changed the time. Changing your date and whatnot only seems to work on the non-reward random appearance stuff like lillie

Ugh that's so frustrating because I wasn't even changing the clock to 'cheat', it was because the time on my 3DS was straight up wrong and I haven't noticed for a while. :( So I guess maybe it will work tonight or tomorrow then? Hmm...

So I got the Greninja, Stardust, Star Piece, and Nugget. Anything else I need to do or have I fully exhausted everything in the demo.

Also I'm a bit disappointed with all the loading screens in this demo. Just going through a gate in the grass gives you the cut away load screen. Pretty ridiculous. I thought gamefreak could do better than that

So how's the performance on New 3DS'? The performance on my regular 3DS XL is pretty horrible, especially during that last battle against the Golbat.

Also, absolutely no 3D is disappointing. Does New 3DS support 3D?

Makes the Monster Hunter games seem like a technical marvel.

Team Skull is hilarious.

LaserHawk

Wow... so far this demo is the hand-holdiest Pokemon I've ever played. Every single thing the game wanted me to do was overtly telegraphed to me, leaving pretty much no exploration and discovery. I haven't got past this photography trial yet, but it's not boding well right now.

This Pokemon has gone from "Go ahead and pre-order it" to "Let's wait to see the reviews" for me. I realize this could just be the demo, and they've tailored it to people who are brand new to Pokemon, so I haven't written it off completely yet.

wmlk

Wow... so far this demo is the hand-holdiest Pokemon I've ever played. Every single thing the game wanted me to do was overtly telegraphed to me, leaving pretty much no exploration and discovery. I haven't got past this photography trial yet, but it's not boding well right now.

Totally agree. They've added a lot of life to the game that goes far beyond just the graphics actually, but the aspects that were bad in Gen VI have only gotten worse here based on the short demo.

Sou Da

This Pokemon has gone from "Go ahead and pre-order it" to "Let's wait to see the reviews" for me. I realize this could just be the demo, and they've tailored it to people who are brand new to Pokemon, so I haven't written it off completely yet.

It's pure tutorial until after the "main demo" ends and they let you free roam. After that there's places to explore with a new mechanic on your own and some timed events.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...why are people basing the main game through a demo from a series known for making demos that never really fits in the game itself

Boss Doggie

It IS my first pokemon demo. Have other demos been a poor representation of what the actual game is like?

yep

well technically this is the first demo where it is truly realsies public, ORAS demo was through promotion and XY was through E3

I think BW had a demo too?

It IS my first pokemon demo. Have other demos been a poor representation of what the actual game is like?

Yeah. Most introductions in the demo are definitely not like the game. Don't expect to be strained difficulty wise but I would recommend Set mode in the options menu for some more engagement.

Qurupeke

Umm... I noticed that my 3DS was a few minutes off, I changed the time and now the demo seems stuck. It's been like 2 days and the counters haven't changed. What should I do?

Umm... I noticed that my 3DS was a few minutes off, I changed the time and now the demo seems stuck. It's been like 2 days and the counters haven't changed. What should I do?

You tried turning the 3DS off and on again? Call Nintendo support if you can't figure it out.

Worst case you'll have to delete the demo and redown load it.

I think that the demo locks you out from progressing for a day whenever the system clock is changed.

Qurupeke

You tried turning the 3DS off and on again? Call Nintendo support if you can't figure it out.

Worst case you'll have to delete the demo and redown load it.

I think that the demo locks you out from progressing for a day whenever the system clock is changed.

I hope that's the case, it would suck if it's permanently stuck but I don't feel like taking further action just for a pair of items I'll sell and some event scenes...

I guess people should better not change their 3DS' clock for Daylight Saving Time...

Is anyone else struck by how kind of depressing some of these events are? :p

* Girl wants to show off the guy who helped her to you, a complete stranger. Does she not have friends or family she could've shown him off to? Maybe she does but she's afraid of how they'd judge her for who it is?
* Dude wants to celebrate his Pikachu's birthday but has nobody else to do it with and so relies on you, a complete stranger, to celebrate it with him.
* Girl at the port is leaving and has nobody to say goodbye to her. No friends or family to wave her away and so she relies, like so many other people in this crazy place, on you... a complete stranger who was willing to listen.

I feel terrible about these people. They don't need me, they need some genuine support from their community :eek:

ash_ag

I hope that's the case, it would suck if it's permanently stuck but I don't feel like taking further action just for a pair of items I'll sell and some event scenes...

I guess people should better not change their 3DS' clock for Daylight Saving Time...

It's funny how 3DS doesn't have a DST function. I suspect they simply forgot to add it, since Japan is one of the few countries sensible enough to not adhere to the absurd concept that is DST. :p

Anyway, if your counters still haven't gone up, make sure to save the game by visiting the mysterious old man. I was wondering why they made him save the game when that only affected move order and the Tauros hot-button, but this may just be it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh that's so frustrating because I wasn't even changing the clock to 'cheat', it was because the time on my 3DS was straight up wrong and I haven't noticed for a while. :( So I guess maybe it will work tonight or tomorrow then? Hmm...

No, it just locks you out from them if you would otherwise have missed them. Did it myself and had to reset the demo.

Boss Doggie

I missed one of the events. Is there still a way for me to get the transfer bonuses?

The events actually don't give anything for transfer.

The ones that do involve transfer are stuff like fighting trainers or visiting an island.

Qurupeke

It's funny how 3DS doesn't have a DST function. I suspect they simply forgot to add it, since Japan is one of the few countries sensible enough to not adhere to the absurd concept that is DST. :p

Anyway, if your counters still haven't gone up, make sure to save the game by visiting the mysterious old man. I was wondering why they made him save the game when that only affected move order and the Tauros hot-button, but this may just be it.

It was fixed after midnight, thankfully.

Top Bottom