• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG headed to iPad

fedexpeon

Banned
Man, so much money if they add in digital trading packs and starter packs like the physical stuff. They can even add special digital card only if you buy the physical card set for more money.

udivision

So, how does this work? I have to buy physical cards to get them on the app? How is the business model?

You don't have to spend any money.

Playing the game vs other people gives you tokens, you use tokens to buy booster packs in game. It's a bit of a grind though and you won't get a "real" (good) deck that way.

The best way to get stuff is to buy phyical card packs (or at least the code that comes with each pack) and redeem those codes for digital booster packs. You can either open those digital booster packs or trade them for specific cards in-game.

Neo Child

Banned
takes ages to get cards though you should get a 5 card pack every few wins it literally takes like 20 matches ounces you've defeated all trainers

also should introduce buying with money, just additional options.

also keep redeeming codes from boosters still

in have like 10 redeemed decks somehow and quite a few cards but hardly any EX/x

super fun though

numble

Eventually you'lll be able to buy gems, and use those gems to buy packs.

You can already do this in Canada.
Wow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97801466&postcount=809
JoeM86 said:
F2P like that on a kid's franchise is ridiculously immoral and again, is against the ethos of the makers of Pokémon. It won't happen.

I am one of the biggest fans of Pokémon in the world. I run arguably the most popular fansite for Pokémon. If they were to do that...it'd make me reconsider running it.

blakep267

Guess I'm not meant to pay this game. Keeps crashing. Probably because I have an IPad 2 and not one of the newer ones.

Anyway, anybody know when the of trading card game is coming to the NA eshop?

Sai-kun

Banned
Guess I'm not meant to pay this game. Keeps crashing. Probably because I have an IPad 2 and not one of the newer ones.

Anyway, anybody know when the of trading card game is coming to the NA eshop?

Yeah, I have a mini and it keeps crashing :( Lame

MrDenny

This game seems low budget.
My character is horribly drawn and is low quality/blurry, makes it look like an amateur drew it.

This game seems low budget.
My character is horribly drawn and is low quality/blurry, makes it look like an amateur drew it.

A number of tech sites are saying this is Nintendo's first game on ios, so when the time comes for nintendo to go full mobile, the quality of this game could be a problem

numble

Except it's how the product already works, both the physical TCG and the PC version.
You buy physical gems in the physical Pokemon TCG? I never knew they'd go through such a weird mechanism. You trade in the physical gems to someone in exchange for physical cards?

ash_ag

Any word of a android version don't have an ipad

I received a non-answer when I asked. I'm assuming it's not out of the realm of possibilities, but it's also probably not planned to release very soon.

A number of tech sites are saying this is Nintendo's first game on ios, so when the time comes for nintendo to go full mobile, the quality of this game could be a problem

Besides confusing The Pokémon Company (International) with Nintendo, I feel the need to correct you (or the tech sites you mention) on the assumptions regarding the game's quality. It's incredibly well made from a technical perspective, built on Unity and tying very nicely with Pokémon Trainer Club accounts (the same ones used for Global Link and Pokémon.com). It's also a really, really elegant recreation of Pokémon TCG that already offers a lot of gameplay options in spite of running in its non-beta version for just a while now.

It's unfair to blame them for the kiddy-looking avatars. Those are Trainer Club-wide (rather than exclusive to TCGO), and meant to promote doing activities (like playing the Flash and recent HTML5 games or watching Pokémon TV) in Pokémon.com, which are obviously meant for children. They actually used the Daisuki Club avatars for a while, but recently replaced them with the ones seen currently. You will see the artstyle in the campaign opponents of TCGO, but it's nothing to worry about. What mostly matters in a video game adaptation of a card game is the UI, and TCGO nails it there.

JoeM86

Different situation to the one to which I was referring.

First, it's not directly Nintendo. Second, Nintendo will never go full mobile. Third, this isn't even the first Pokémon "game" on iOS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm the only that actually plays Pokemon TCGO.

They need to add the gem shit like yesterday. As much as I love buying codes in bulk. I'd really like to not have to deal with a third party to get packs.

That all depends on pricing though, how are the prices in Canada?

My other big gripe is determining card values. I really don't know how to figure that out. I know there is a section on the official forums for selling/trading, but it seems like a small handful of people control the market. Then there's determining the worthiness of older packs and cards. Typical TCG stuff. This is more my fault though, just looking for a really nice resource for determining card value so I can actually start trading. I'm still sitting on 100 Flashfire packs that are probably worth nothing now.

Besides confusing The Pokémon Company (International) with Nintendo, I feel the need to correct you (or the tech sites you mention) on the assumptions regarding the game's quality. It's incredibly well made from a technical perspective, built on Unity and tying very nicely with Pokémon Trainer Club accounts (the same ones used for Global Link and Pokémon.com). It's also a really, really elegant recreation of Pokémon TCG that already offers a lot of gameplay options in spite of running in its non-beta version for just a while now.

I wouldn't call it "incredibly well made". Having played the PC version, I would probably use the words "competent" or "functional" instead.

It's really the bare minimum you would expect from a PC version of the Pokemon Trading Card game. It works, but there are so many design problems it's just not very enjoyable to play.

Neo Child

Banned
I wouldn't call it "incredibly well made". Having played the PC version, I would probably use the words "competent" or "functional" instead.

It's really the bare minimum you would expect from a PC version of the Pokemon Trading Card game. It works, but there are so many design problems it's just not very enjoyable to play.

Ive clocked in probably almost 100 hours and not found any flaw/bugs in the game?

Ive clocked in probably almost 100 hours and not found any flaw/bugs in the game?

In my experience, some of the UI not in the main card game was a little buggy or just badly designed (buttons wouldn't work, it's unclear when you receive cards or how to open booster packs, etc.) But for the most part, it is functional.

I'm just talking about how fun it is to play as a game. Just compare it to the Gameboy Color version. On the PC, the decision to only present an overall view of the game board and only show actual card images makes it hard to follow the game at a glance because the text and other vital information on the cards is too small to read. It's nice that you can right click on any card to see it blown up, but you have to be doing that constantly to follow along with the game.

I don't think I ever figured out the trading interface. That was completely opaque to me.

Similarly, it's really hard to organize your card collection and build decks within the game because it doesn't give you enough information about the cards you have at a glance. I'm guessing most people who building decks in this game are using an external reference or have all the cards memorized.

Considering that the GBC managed to do both aspects far better on a much lower resolution screen, there's just no reason for the PC version to be so cumbersome.

ash_ag

I never experienced a technical issue in the last few versions, personally. There used to be some problems in past versions, but I maintain that it's really well made from a technical perspective. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not a low-profile effort at this point.

I'll agree that it has a way to go before it's completely enjoyable, since I imagine you're referring to game modes. I haven't played Hearthstone, but I've heard that compared to it, the pace of receiving new cards is pretty slow. It doesn't help that it is essentially suggested that the player should play flash games in order to collect game coins faster. I'm guessing this may be your main complaint, and it's a result of the TCG still retaining a high status among real-life card games.

I wouldn't expect that to change meaningfully in the near future, but that's the nature of most F2P games. You can still somewhat enjoy it for free, but putting some money into it makes things faster. I consider TCGO's model of rewarding collection of physical cards an advantage over other online card games that offer no such capability. Buying Game Coins with real money is something I'm personally not very interested in, but that too may solve the game's other problem, which is its currently low number of active players -- it would make creating a good deck cheaper and more accessible.

Now, I'm sure many would enjoy a game more similar to the Game Boy adaptations of TCG, but that's not what TCGO aims to be.

JoeM86

In my experience, some of the UI not in the main card game was a little buggy or just badly designed (buttons wouldn't work, it's unclear when you receive cards or how to open booster packs, etc.) But for the most part, it is functional.

I'm just talking about how fun it is to play as a game. Just compare it to the Gameboy Color version. On the PC, the decision to only present an overall view of the game board and only show actual card images makes it hard to follow the game at a glance because the text and other vital information on the cards is too small to read. It's nice that you can right click on any card to see it blown up, but you have to be doing that constantly to follow along with the game.

Similarly, it's really hard to organize your card collection and build decks within the game because it doesn't give you enough information about the cards you have at a glance. I'm guessing most people who building decks in this game are using an external reference or have all the cards memorized.

Considering that the GBC managed to do both aspects far better on a much lower resolution screen, there's just no reason for the PC version to be so cumbersome.

When was the last time you played the GBC game??

The GBC game had all the issues you listed there, except worse because you had to go through convoluted menus to see just basic attack effects.

When was the last time you played the GBC game??

The GBC game had all the issues you listed there, except worse because you had to go through convoluted menus to see just basic attack effects.

I don't know, maybe four months ago?

Yeah, you had to go through menus, but they at least made some thoughtful decisions on what information to present on which screens. On the PC, you're either looking at a single card or you're looking at the entire game board with the only visible details being the color and art on each card.

After playing Hearthstone, i'm sorry but this is just awful. No polish at all, buggy... definitely agree with the poster who described it as bare minimum.

Boss Doggie

FYI guys this app is more befitting to be a TCG "emulator" or essentially a digitized TCG. The GB/GBC games are more like those YuGiOh games in handhelds which are RPGs playing with TCG format.

After playing Hearthstone, i'm sorry but this is just awful. No polish at all, buggy... definitely agree with the poster who described it as bare minimum.

It really seems to just be a flash port of the website game - Adobe has some tools to do just that. All of the actions are basically built to be mouse-compatible.

It's playable, but yeah...compared to Hearthstone it really is the "bare minimum".

Boss Doggie

I'd even argue that the executable PC version is barebones too because it his this weird pausing before running, a forced fullscreen, and buttons/clicking sometimes not working

I launched it expecting the original OG sets. I am disappointed.
...why would they do that?

Also I thought "bare bones" meant it lacked features, not that it doesn't perform well. The UI actually has a lot of useful features especally with regard to trading and searching for cards.

Heartstone's UI is really god awful when it comes to that, but I guess that's a given considering its simple card format.

also

Banned
I'd even argue that the executable PC version is barebones too because it his this weird pausing before running, a forced fullscreen, and buttons/clicking sometimes not working

You can play windowed on PC. Options -> Video -> tick Windowed
Clicks not being registered can be annoying and tends to happen often with stadium cards. Thankfully, you can use the right side menu instead.

Boss Doggie

Care to explain?

This is OG charizard card

charizard_pokemon_thoughts-s300x421-66299-535.jpeg

This is a more recent charizard card (forgot which expansion)

1046854.jpg

huh, didn't know Pokemon Power existed in the OG tho

Top Bottom