• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG headed to iPad

Neo Child

Banned
Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

The only Pokemon TCG that matters.

Also the un-released in the West sequel!

Kouriozan

Just started playing the PC version.
It's good enough for me, can't wait for the iPad one.
I just hope you can change your avatar at some point, the random one I got looks horrible.

Kouriozan

Do you start out with all cards or how does it work? Opening packs is the most fun thing.
You start with 3 deck, Fire/Water/Grass from Pokémon B/W.
Winning a game with a deck unlock some card for it kinda like Hearthstone.
You can buy booster with in game coins called Prof. something.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pretty cool. Kind of always wanted to learn this game, and this would definitely be a pretty easy way to do so.

This is exactly the kind of content that Nintendo should bring to mobile, experiences that they are not bringing to their platforms and that make sense on the platform.

Great move.

numble

Oh my, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what's going on in regards to Nintendo and Pokémon.

So, contrary to belief, Pokémon is not owned solely by Nintendo. The ownership is split, I believe, 34/33/33 between Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and Nintendo respectively. In addition to this, The Pokémon Company was set up in 2000 to deal with the non-game parts of the franchise (and they now deal with spin-off title greenlighting, too). This company is owned by all three as well.
Game Freak & Creatures Inc. are all separate companies, with really close ties to Nintendo. They are the epitome of what is known as second party.

Now, Game Freak develops the main games and dictate the direction of the franchise.
Creatures Inc. does various spin-off titles, but also completely create and manage the Trading Card Game.
Nintendo provides development aid and publishes all titles.
The Pokémon Company decides merchandise licensing, spin-off title greenlighting and marketing of the franchise outside of the games. That's where this comes in.

Outside of Japan, the Trading Card Game is handled by The Pokémon Company International, not Nintendo of America, and the Pokémon TCG Online game was created in 2011 in order to further reach of the TCG. It was developed by some small companies in the west and only exists in the west. Japan doesn't have it.

As has been said, the game has been under the "beta" moniker for 3 years now, and continues to be. In addition to that, it also relies on purchasing of the TCG in order to gain content in the game. This is likely a big part of why it would never exist on a Nintendo platform as that's sort of against Nintendo's policies.

Also, this is not the first Pokémon related app that has cropped up on smartphones. Pokédex for iOS came out in 2012, and there's a Pokémon TV app. In Japan, there's also Pokémon Smile School & PokéTouch, educational apps that are licensed out to educational establishments.

Nintendo do have a say in these things, and I'm sure they could block it if they wanted, but this does no harm, promotes their line, and does not damage sales of the games, so that's why it exists.

Any questions?

I probably should haha

It's my job to know. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the split in ownership but I'm fairly sure it's near equal.

Are you sure Creatures Inc is a separate company and not a subsidiary of Nintendo?

Hope this is coming to Android (some of the other Pokemon apps did) since I no longer own a iPad or iPhone.
I don't think they have released anything on Android. The Play Store has a lot of unofficial stuff though.

The Pokemon Company is different from Game Freaks Studios and Nintendo entirely. Everything non Pokemon game (Cartoon, Trading card, Films) could theoretically find its way on mobile and / or competitors hardware.

Pokemon IS big and the main handheld franchise is just 1/4 of its media

JoeM86

The Pokemon Company is different from Game Freaks Studios and Nintendo entirely. Everything non Pokemon game (Cartoon, Trading card, Films) could theoretically find its way on mobile and / or competitors hardware.

Pokemon IS big and the main handheld franchise is just 1/4 of its media

Nintendo do own a big part of it and can still block it if they do so wish. Also, the games are the biggest part of it.

Are you sure Creatures Inc is a separate company and not a subsidiary of Nintendo?

Yep. That was a common misconception going around, but Creatures Inc. doesn't appear on Nintendo's financials as a subsidiary

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This thread and the Worlds thread has got me back into my online account. Time to buy packs of cards for codes. Oh lord...

Rolf NB

This is being developed in the west by companies for The Pokémon Company International. Nothing to do with Japan.
Assuming the decision to port it at all was made in Japan, platform decisions could have been made in Japan as well.

Android marketshare is bigger than iOS in Japan, too. It makes little sense either way you slice it.

Sitrus

Isnt this just a client for their TCG online that already has been released for a long time? nice to know that they are making apps for it, but this isn't a drastical change in either Nintendo, Game Freak or The Pokemon Company. It's just widening the audiece for a service already made.

Isnt this just a client for their TCG online that already has been released for a long time? nice to know that they are making apps for it, but this isn't a drastical change in either Nintendo, Game Freak or The Pokemon Company. It's just widening the audiece for a service already made.

Yup, pretty much.

Neo Child

Banned

I don't think they have released anything on Android. The Play Store has a lot of unofficial stuff though.

They have the official Pokemon TV app on Android but that's about it I think!

Do I want to blow $90 on 36 Furious Fists Booster Packs?

I recently got into the Online game and I loved it, except Tournaments are never on.

TrickRoom

Do I want to blow $90 on 36 Furious Fists Booster Packs?

I recently got into the Online game and I loved it, except Tournaments are never on.

I got into this game just a little less recently, and a giant message flashed up a week or so ago saying "Tournament test begins tomorrow!" I didn't have the tickets at that point though...

It seems like it's still a WIP, like the rest of the beta...

And I don't know about you, but the booster packs won from prize wheels, trainer challenges, and daily rewards seem enough for me to make a deck with.

Sealtest

Hopefully they make buying packs easier and a bit cheaper, It's actually cheaper 2 buy IRL packs for the codes then through the store page.

udivision

Are Stage 2 and 3 Pokemon any good?

I lost many matches because I couldn't draw its Stage 1 counterpart.

From what I've seen, -EX mons are better. Evolving is a hassle.

To avoid the situation you described, use Rare Candies/Evosodas to help evolve you guys more consistently.

There are some fully evolved mons with good abilities though, like Garbador.

TrickRoom

From what I've seen, -EX mons are better. Evolving is a hassle.

To avoid the situation you described, use Rare Candies/Evosodas to help evolve you guys more consistently.

There are some fully evolved mons with good abilities though, like Garbador.

This is pretty much my experience. There's also Great Ball, Level Ball, Heavy Ball, etc. for finding the right Pokemon cards. There's a number of Pokemon worth evolving, but a lot of people abuse EXes to the point where they're pretty common.

You get a lot of good bonuses from the Bonus Wheel.

Each match gets you a chance of 25 Trainer Tokens, a few Tournament Tickets, Cards, or a Booster Pack.

And to think I was going to pay $90 for 36 Booster Packs just to get their online codes.

Top Bottom