• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can we all agree that Hillary pulling ads early on in Colorado was a horrendous tactical error by her campaign?
However, while the largely African-American non-white population of Virginia backs Clinton by an overwhelming 71-16, the largely Hispanic non-white population of Colorado supports Clinton by only 53-24. Thirteen percent of non-whites in Colorado pick a third party candidate, while 11% are undecided or don't plan to vote.

Here's the difference, if anyone was wondering.

I'm looking at vote totals from 2012, and I'm only just realizing how many more people voted for the Presidency than voted for Congressional offices. Obama got ~6 million more votes than Congressional Democrats did across all house races. Romney got nearly 3 million more than Rs did across the board.

No wonder Dems are always fucked. I had thought it was primarily a midterms issue.

Grief.exe

Can we all agree that Hillary pulling ads early on in Colorado was a horrendous tactical error by her campaign?

Personally, I think there is no possible way for Hillary to lose Colorado due to demographic changes.

I'm very much doubting these polls reflect the reality in this respect.

Just look at overall campaign strategy.

No Spanish language ads yet.
Disappearing from the campaign trail for fund raising.
Lackluster small donor fundraising
Lackluster cable surrogate appearances
David Brock is running something for her which has sucked till now.

I'd agree but I think a lot of the differences stem from who the candidate is, and enthusiasm on the ground (grassroots, voters, campaign, etc).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Personally, I think there is no possible way for Hillary to lose Colorado due to demographic changes.

I'm very much doubting these polls reflect the reality in this respect.

Look at the Hispanic numbers I just posted. The campaign is not doing a good job of courting Hispanic voters at this point.

No. Because it wasn't.

Come on people. It's 10:30 on a Sunday. Go.....have a cocktail. Go play with children in nature. Do something other than complain about Lyin' Dyin' Crooked Pneumonia based Clinton and her campaign. You'll feel better.

Zukkoyaki

So out of the three CO polls we've gotten this week they've been +7 +2 +1

Probably safe to think Clinton is ahead but not by as much as we would like. Regardless, I very much have my doubts that she is not going to win it. Trump hasn't led in CO in a single proper poll all year.

Grief.exe

Fam

I'm telling you, don't bedwet over Colorado right now. It has similar demographics to Virginia which is +8 in that very same poll.

Just relax.

Look at the Hispanic numbers I just posted. The campaign is not doing a good job of courting Hispanic voters at this point.
Or, OR the other option is that YouGov's methodology has a problem in finding her support among Hispanic voters! This was true in the primaries, and there is ample evidence to suggest that it is true now.

The Latino Decisions poll from earlier in the moth showed her getting 72/17 in Colorado among Hispanic voters. Which, by the way, was her 2nd best state among Latino voters. So, like, put it in the pile, whatever, but there's no reason to question an entire strategy over one poll.

Unless you're Nate Silver, of course.

Grief.exe

I think polling is going to shift quite dramatically after the first debates.

Currently, third parties are still soaking up a large percentage of undecided voters. Historically, these drop off massively around the first debates as undecideds tend to start paying attention at that point.

Since we have two candidates with record level unfavorables and we have record level undecided at this point, Hillary should be coming out well after this debate.

I wouldn't be too worried until we see the polls at the first week of October.

PBY

Banned
Or, OR the other option is that YouGov's methodology has a problem in finding her support among Hispanic voters! This was true in the primaries, and there is ample evidence to suggest that it is true now.

The Latino Decisions poll from earlier in the moth showed her getting 72/17 in Colorado among Hispanic voters. Which, by the way, was her 2nd best state among Latino voters. So, like, put it in the pile, whatever, but there's no reason to question an entire strategy over one poll.

Its two polls though. Her RCP polling average is down to +2.5

dramatis

Use the one that updates as you refresh on GAF
t1474938000z1.png

Plinko

Sam Stein ‏@samsteinhp 4m4 minutes ago

Clinton’s super PAC has already said they’re going back up in Colorado in October. Question now is did they wait too long.

This will help. If Hillary's team thought it wasn't a mistake, my guess is they wouldn't be pushing for ads to go back up.

This is fine, but now it's two polls. The odds of two outliers in the same week? It's not a usual occurrence.

Either way, the race is close enough that the debates are going to have a major effect, so none of this matters TOO much.

Boke1879

Not worried. We have the debates tomorrow and assuming all goes well Clinton is hitting the trail again after that going to multiple states. October will be where shit ramps up, we'all be seeing ads and tons of stumping going on.

But today I'm not going to worry about shit. Gonna finish my shift at work and play some games. I'll only worry after tomorrow if Clinton faints on stage.

dramatis

Axelrod wrote a thing for the NYT opinion section.
Mr. Trump surely will brandish his business credentials and present himself as the only “job creator” on the stage. But in doing so, he will open himself up to a strong counterattack about dubious business tactics, bankruptcies and schemes like Trump University. The Clinton team will know going in that questioning Mr. Trump’s wealth and business success is a hot button, the only one that seems to unsettle him.

Yet if some wavering voters will be watching to see if Mr. Trump appears to be a plausible president, others will tune in to discover if Mrs. Clinton, who has struggled with questions of trustworthiness, can speak in an open and authentic way that connects with them. They will be looking for what, beyond personal ambition, motivates her and where, beyond the policies of President Obama, she aims to lead.

The well-crafted Democratic convention in July, a high-water mark for Mrs. Clinton, offered a strategic road map to how best to position herself, Mr. Trump and the choice between them.

If she holds true to that successful template, she will pitch herself as a champion for economic fairness and Mr. Trump as a populist poseur, whose actual practices and policies belie his claim to advocacy for working people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thanks Clinton. Since you pulled out of Colorado, Trump was able to make inroads. A

And now we're a toss up state and I'm going to have to watch ads non-stop for the next month...

NeoXChaos

John Lovett
‏@jlove1982 John Lovett Retweeted Josh Marshall
My problem w Silver/538 is less about modelling (do whatever you want) and more the defensiveness he/538 in general are taking to criticism

Josh Marshall ‏@joshtpm 47m47 minutes ago
Josh Marshall Retweeted John Lovett
That's basically where I am.

More Nate Silver shade by journalist.

Pixieking

Banned
i screwed up my math, you are right. 5 hours diffence. i cant count for shit

so 21:00 (9pm) New York = 2am in London

i need new fingers

Hahah... Hell, it's fine. Timezones do my head in. The only thing I can remember is that Seattle is 8 hours or 10 hours behind me, depending upon which country I'm in... And that's just because of when Steam deals tick over. :D

Zukkoyaki

I think it's only a matter of time before a stray PA poll showing Trump ahead drops and this place has the mother of all meltdowns.

PBY

Banned
More Nate Silver shade by journalist.

Meh, really like Lovett but who cares about their attitude if they're model is supportable. I find Cohn's arguments more convincing, although the closer we get to Nov the 538 model makes more sense to me in terms of their appreciation for how many undecideds there are (which we see reflected in all the noise lately).

I think there's value in both the Upshot and 538 models.

HylianTom

Banned
So damn glad that I don't work tomorrow. Going to be too distracted to think.

I hope we get to start hearing more of Obama's travel plans for October soon. His presence on the trail is going to be a game-changer. The active campaigning of a relatively popular President - one who's held in good esteem particularly among undecideds/swing voters - is something we won't get to see very often in our lifetimes. Trump will soon be effectively campaigning against two opponents.

So damn glad that I don't work tomorrow. Going to be too distracted to think.

I hope we get to start hearing more of Obama's travel plans for October soon. His presence on the trail is going to be a game-changer. The active campaigning of a relatively popular President - one who's held in good esteem particularly among undecideds/swing voters - is something we won't get to see very often in our lifetimes. Trump will soon be effectively campaigning against two opponents.

I work for myself, so I just made sure not to schedule anything tomorrow. Then, I get a call telling me I have to be on a stupid conference call from 8-11. Which, whatever, but I don't caaareeeeeee It's debate day. Do these people have no lives that they want to go about things like work on a day as important as tomorrow!? FUCK

Emarv

This thread has been a mess this weekend. World is about to end tomorrow and we're arguing about Colorado, Flowers and Silver?

We should all be getting our passports ready FUCK

Boke1879

This thread has been a mess this weekend. World is about to end tomorrow and we're arguing about Colorado, Flowers and Silver?

We should all be getting our passports ready FUCK

I knew this place wouldn't be calm. Just wait until tomorrow night.

Trump sure as fuck is going to bring up that mall shooter. Who turned out to be an LPR from Turkey. I wonder what Hills response is goinf to be.

Hopfrog

Conway deflecting like a boss on This Week. George points out Politifacts pointing out the huge discrepancy in Trump and Hillary lies, goes right in to talking about Hillary's issues with the truth.

Oh, and now apparently Trump is a "brilliant" debater according to Conway, the best that Newt has ever seen apparently.

Hopfrog

And now Trump should be applauded for being one of the only ones really caring and wanting to deal with issues in the black community.

Glad that I don't watch too many of these Conway interviews as she really gets my blood up.

And they are STILL standing by the "Clinton campaign started birtherism" bullshit.

Plinko

They were always planning on going back up in October! This was the strategy.

OK. I'm ok with that--I just don't get it. I mean, why not keep ads on to keep reminding people? A big lead was lost. It just doesn't make sense to me is all.

HylianTom

Banned
I am still certain she wins Colorado, but have to admit that I'd be quite amused by a winning map where she loses Colorado and wins North Carolina. (So. Many. Paths!)

atr0cious

This is my most hated "flaw" of Hillary's:
Axelrod article said:
They will be looking for what, beyond personal ambition, motivates her...

What is Donald running for? Colin Powell also hit this talking about her unbridled ambition. But she better not play the woman card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom