• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senador

Banned
Not surprised. At all. It's Polygon.

It's polygon

There are several outlets that disagree with this. In fact, every other outlet that's updated in the last few minutes seem to disagree with this.

Then again, it is Polygon. Do we expect credibility?

Polygon readers are worse than Polygon writers.

No.

They were initially funded by Microsoft and one of their writers is a staunch supporter of idiocy, Gies.

I don't get shit like this. Polygon is providing better content, information, and reviews than I have seen in years. They actually review shit in length and aren't afraid to give lower scores. It's refreshing to see honestly. What did they do wrong here? Are you suggesting the score is too high or low? You think they should be bashing Xbox One no matter what? You are mad they couldn't tell a difference between the 2 versions? Oh, you guys have all seen them in person? Where are your reviews?

Booshka

It's funny how the performance of a late-gen CoD game on their old as fuck engine, has so much stock in people's opinions of these next gen consoles.

That being said, Locked 60 FPS is better than higher resolution, especially for Multiplayer. Whether or not that is the case is another issue, but I'll take a locked 60 over higher resolution for every MP game.

Why on earth wouldn't IW just drop the PS4's resolution? They've said before that 60fps is the priority. Just drop the game to 900p. This is ridiculous however it turns out

Tourmeta

COD Ghosts is getting so much free PR for being cross-gen :p They must be ecstatic.

Couldn't there be other reasons for the fps drop than 1080p? People seem quick to jump on that as the cause.

What is going on over at Infinity Ward? Geez.

It's nice to have a bench mark noting these things matter from Polygon - going forward. For purposes.

Im so goddam confused.
First you have those rumors ooh yeah we ported cod to ps4 within a month running at 1080p@90fps and now its runs variable. Or was that a completely different game.

I love the fact there is such rabid splitting of hairs between 6.5 and 7.0.
All this tells me is that Ghosts is a game to take a pass on.

I don't get shit like this. Polygon is providing better content, information, and reviews than I have seen in years. They actually review shit in length and aren't afraid to give lower scores. It's refreshing to see honestly.

image.php

kadotsu

Banned
Their write-up makes sense. I don't see the need for controversy here. They note that framerate is king, and CoD already doesn't look all that great, so the resolution difference won't help a ton besides a bit more crisp-ness.

Excuse me if I don't believe rock solid framerate claims from a member of a profession that claimed Dead Rising 3 ran "smoth" and "constant 30 FPS". If it's really constant 60 I can see someone preferring that over resolution.

shandy706

I have a feeling Digital Foundry will get the same results...or they'll prove that IGN/Poly are lying.

I don't see them straight up lying about it...never know though.

So what's the reaction if DF gets the same results?

"Although the PS4 version has now been patched to completely fix all framerate issues, we decline to update our review."

Do you think that would stop people from bashing it. Dead Rising 3 could have a patch to shore it up framerate wise...still going to catch crap from people.

I think Polygon is smoking something awful if they can't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p, or don't mind over sharpening effects. But it seems it boils down to which you prefer, visuals or frame rate. Not that I'm buying the game, but usually I go visuals over frame rate, but really it depends on what kind of frame hits we're talking. As long as it's 45fps+ that's perfectly fine for me for a twitch shooter like this. Still better than 30fps or sub 30fps that's for sure.

30fps is acceptable. 45 fps is better. 60 fps is best (of the three prior). Variable framerate = worst.

I don't get shit like this. Polygon is providing better content, information, and reviews than I have seen in years. They actually review shit in length and aren't afraid to give lower scores. It's refreshing to see honestly.

Take a look at the twitter of the guy who runs the site and remember the 700k they got from Microsoft. If you like them you must love Fox News for their balanced and unbiased coverage.

BF4 had better framerate and a higher a resolution on PS4, where's the higher score?

It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference

Lol, that is hilarious. Don't they teach you in Intro to Journalism class to not say "it could be my imagination" in anything you write? That is pretty funny.

GlamFM

Banned
Delicious turn of events. Glad I pre ordered both consoles.

I have never played a game in 1080, so I don't know how important this will be to me - I do know that 60fps is one of the main reasons I like COD.

I hope DigitalFoundry does a framerate comparison.
Some magazines didn't even mention the framerate, some said it only dops at checkpoints, some said its only every few matches online and some said its so severe that they needed to lower the score.

Polygon Review said:
Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.

That really is the most questionable thing in this entire thread. What a poor way of wording that.

Logically this makes sense right? Lower resolution in exchange for more stable fps. Given that XBox is the primary console for COD, makes sense that they would want to ensure that gameplay was as stable as possible.

You are right in most cases, but somehow PS3 exclusives always scored poorly there (not saying that there arern'r any exceptions).

Also their reviews editor is a joke. M$

They are probably right about COD, but .5 score difference is significant and people are wondering if it is justifiable.

King_Moc

Banned

If you'd included the comments where Microsofts $720, 000 'donation' was mentioned, you'd probably get it.

coldfoot

Banned

You don't see the rampant bias in a quote like this?
While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled to 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

This is bullshit and why Polygon are a joke. They are shit and should be treated the same way Fox news is treated.

Bedlam

So I guess this is going to be the narrative that sites like Polygon will push this new gen: resolution differences don't matter, they can't see a difference, everything else matters.

At least we got that out of the way now and know what to expect.

Who wrote the review btw.? I don't want to give them my click. edit: Of course it's Gies... fucking lol

If this anyone but polygon, I'd be concerned

Concerned about what? That the PS4 version is rated slightly lower than the Xbox One version? Say it does happen, and the PS4 version is rated slightly lower everywhere else. Will this affect your enjoyment of it? Will it eat at your brain knowing that the version not on your platform of choice was rated slightly higher than the one you're playing?

I have a feeling Digital Foundry will get the same results...or they'll prove that IGN/Poly are lying.

I don't see them straight up lying about it...never know though.

So what's the reaction if DF gets the same results?

People pay to much time in comparing these 2 versions on xboned and PS4, we all know COD ghost is far from optimized, its a shitty rushed game and if there are framerate drops only on PS4, then its due to the devs being lazy.

The Cowboy

BF4 Xbox one - lower framerate and lower resolution than PS4 version = same score as PS4 version.
Ghosts Xbox one - better framerate and lower resolution than PS4 version = higher score than PS4 version.

Hmm.

I have no issue with the framerate being better on Xbox one (and to me that would make it a slightly better version), but at least use the same logic across other reviews.

Knoxcore

People do that a lot around here. They don't like what the source of the information is saying they will attempt to discredit it. It's like politics. Discredit the politician and everything that person says in the future is taken with a grain of salt.

Frankly, I don't get involved in things like that. I see how outlets like these work. They are fans just like us and work their asses off to get content out there for us to make an informed decision. It's the nature of versus mentality around here.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Are you saying that the fact the Xbox One version of the game scored higher makes you to buy the game less? That is ridiculous.

Uh, no I would imagine the reason they don't want to play it is because the game got a 6.5-7 out of 10. You know, a quite disappointing score for an entry in one of the biggest game franchises in videogame history.

I love how many people are fussing over the .5 difference over resolution issues, true or not, but missing the fact that this is far from an amazing score for the game.

dugdug

Banned
You see, what we're witnessing, here, is what will be referred to in the future as: the Gies-ening effect.

I don't get shit like this. Polygon is providing better content, information, and reviews than I have seen in years. They actually review shit in length and aren't afraid to give lower scores. It's refreshing to see honestly. What did they do wrong here? Are you suggesting the score is too high or low? You think they should be bashing Xbox One no matter what? You are mad they couldn't tell a difference between the 2 versions? Oh, you guys have all seen them in person? Where are your reviews?

This comes from their origins (funded by MS).
They will always be biased in the eyes of a lot of people.

That said, this is unnaceptable, man:

Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.

It's ridiculous. You either saw a difference or you didn't. You can't say that maybe it was your imagination.

So, if people who review video games for a living can't even tell the difference in resolution going from 720p to 1080p, that means I shouldn't be able to either, right? And any resolution difference or clarity I see is all in my head. OK, got it.

So what's the point in having another generation of more expensive consoles that can push higher resolutions? I mean it's a waste of money if nobody can see a difference.

So putting two and two together, I'm fully expecting Polygon and any other games publications with the same view to spread the message that gamers should boycott both next-gen consoles and stick with PS3 and 360 for the next 5 years. Because, why bother with better resolutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom