• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Visceral's Battlefield game has a police theme, is due later this year

Quentyn

Electronic Arts earlier this week let go of their contractors at the office and told full-time staffers they could either take compensation and leave or continue working in the office to support work on Visceral's rumored police-themed Battlefield title, code-named Havana. Sources say Havana is due out later this year.

Nirolak made a speculation thread about that two months ago. This confirms it, Battlefield is now a yearly franchise.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/1/536...es-uk-office-unannounced-nfs-title-mothballed

manzo

So a new Battlefield from DICE every second year and one from Visceral in between?

So this is how it ends. Notlikethis.gif

Disappointed they are going yearly with this.

I don't mind so much if it's a different developer with an (apparently) quite different theme.

If the Battlefield name is what it takes for us to get something more in the vein of SWAT, or a Heat game that isn't Payday, I'm down.

Nibel

I miss smaller-scaled games - take SWAT from Sierra for example, that was a really cool FPS where you could reach the end of a level without firing your gun. Nowadays every FPS game must have the entire world fighting each other with nukes and shit, ugh

Not sure what to expect from a police-themed FPS from Visceral/EA

Abounder

Banned
Likely has Mantle support but I am assuming they're using the Battlefield Frostbite engine

Could be fun although it sounds like Counter Strike with vehicles and riot gear. Oh the good old days of driving the APC filled with CT's off a cliff

BibiMaghoo

If it's a downloadable title ala BF1943, I'm ok with that.

If it is a full annual title, I will be furious. They are still fixing last years game, as they are still selling us DLC for last years game. Even EA can see this would be a super stupid move.

.la1n

Visceral, despite stumbling a bit with Dead Space 3, seems like a fairly imaginative studio. I'm interested to see what they may bring to the Battlefield franchise.

Frostbite engine? Dead Space didn't use it.

All EA game will use either Frostbite unless they're sports games in which case they'll use the new Sports Engine.

Anyways, not surprised, got to chase that CoD money. Still, this sounds like it might be interesting and I like Visceral.

Could be interesting, using the engine but without the tanks and choppers blowing the fuck out of everything. No rocket launchers! Police themed says to me smaller maps, and more localised / small scale procedural destruction.

Could be interesting.

But, yeah, yearly franchises, I dislike the notion. Plus as a PS4 Premium buyer (hides head in shame), at this rate we'll still be waiting for the BF4 map packs by the time this next Battlefield launches.

I don't mind so much if it's a different developer with an (apparently) quite different theme.

If the Battlefield name is what it takes for us to get something more in the vein of SWAT, or a Heat game that isn't Payday, I'm down.

This is how i feel. Nothing wrong with more games.. I love gamers though.
Omg there's no ps4 or xbox games stupid Sony!
New game gets announced
Omg a yearly franchise! its garbage because that's too many games, take longer to make them!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm down for a police themed game but I can't see how that would fit in with the Battlefield license. BF is all about scale warfare, doesn't really work if you're a SWAT guy. Hopefully it's basically just a new IP with the BF name slapped on it. I also hope they aim for 60fps again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Best case scenario: it's a spiritual successor to SWAT under the Battlefield name

Worst case scenario: it's Battlefield with cops and 'murica.

GlamFM

Banned
I fully expect Viscerals take on the franchise to be better and more polished than everything DICE has done in recent memory.

Steez

Visceral designated to create Battlefield spin-offs?

40.gif

Whompa

I'm done with Battlefield. BF4 wont be fixed. BF5 will roll out or whatever this is. People will move to that. Money wasted. Time wasted.

kadotsu

Banned
Best case scenario: it's a spiritual successor to SWAT under the Battlefield name

Worst case scenario: it's Battlefield with cops and 'murica.

You mean: First mission as a cop until your family gets terroristed and you gotta get them terrorists by joining the US Army.

Police theme makes me 1000x more interested in this series.

I'd be nice if the single player campaign was at least somewhat realistic. But I won't hold my breath.

I'm done with Battlefield. BF4 wont be fixed. BF5 will roll out or whatever this is. People will move to that. Money wasted. Time wasted.

Oh come on, these games have always been screwed up. I always enjoyed being informed my team had won, when it really lost in BFBC2. Just last night the end match music just keep inadvertently repeating itself in BF4 MP, everyone in chat seemed upset, not me it kept in time with the speed metal I was listening to. My favorite is being had even though you are clearly behind cover, its just teaching you to be faster than the netcode. You know snatch the pebble from the hand grasshopper kinda shit.

Kinyou

And non-surprisingly will this sell less, partly because of the state bf4 launched in, and then EA will close Visceral... That's what's going to happen, right?

Top Bottom