• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Visceral's Battlefield game has a police theme, is due later this year

2008: Bad Company 1
2009: Battlefield 1943
2010: Bad Company 2
2011: Battlefield 3

2012 has been the only recent year without a Battlefield release, we should have seen this coming. Now, if Policefield is a download title like 1943 I won't have a problem with it but if it is a full retail Battlefield game I hope it blows up in EA's faces.

At least its not developed by DICE. I hope its SWAT 5 or something. Or Rainbow Six clone. Man can dream...

You people like to set up your own future disappointment! It will be a BF with police / criminal skins and scaled down arsenal: not tanks and jets, but police vehicles (cars, suvs, bikes, maybe a swat armored truck) and normal or rigged cars for criminals.

I would be so down for this if it was something in the vain of the old Rainbow Six on the OG Xbox. Loved that and Black Arrow on the original Xbox can't even begin to imagine how many hour I sunk into it playing Team Survival between them.

Edit:
Thinking about it more it could be really good. If they focused on smaller CQB maps like offices and building would it allow them to add more destruction and other map changing events allowing for a much wider variety of tacitcal gameplay. Give you choices for gear like do I take the night vision goggles and shoot out lights and stay in the dark or do I take the gas mask and roll in the tear gas.

With more destructible environments you could find a room where people are hiding and instead of going through the door just blow out the wall behind them or even the floor or ceiling.

If it allowed this type of destruction gameplay would be more suited to a more one life survival type as if there were endless respawns the map would be destroyed in 5 mins flat.

Dead Man

Best case scenario: it's a spiritual successor to SWAT under the Battlefield name

Worst case scenario: it's Battlefield with cops and 'murica.

Yeah, was going to say I wish it was SWAT 5. But it won't be. It will be shooting terrorists at first sight in a blue uniform rather than a green or brown one.

While I don't like yearly franchising of series, treyarch did make my favorite call of duty and now they're a better team than infinity ward.

still wish visceral was doing something original.

Wanny

I'm still interested in what Visceral has to offer, no matter the project. Let's not forget they made the bloody amazing Dead Space 1 & 2.

They should make it a sim, you could burn people alive in buildings, rupture ballsacks, shoot a couple of asian ladies in a truck, beat a homeless man to death and shoot a retired old man in his appartment while yelling 'he's coming right at us!'

Fun for the whole family :p

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Now that these are both annual do you think we can watch EA and Activision dwindle their resources fighting over dominance in the increasingly strained and diminishing military shooter market?

Will either of their sci-fi shooters prove nearly as popular?

There will be only one game in my heart that got the police theme part to be enjoyable and fun and thats Urban Chaos: Riot Response Gluck to Visceral in their attempt.

Yep played it on XBox. Rocksteady respect!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if this was originally supposed to be a Medal of Honor spinoff and they just changed the name to Battlefield.

TigerBrown

I'm still interested in what Visceral has to offer, no matter the project. Let's not forget they made the bloody amazing Dead Space 1 & 2.

This. I'm more than confident that Visceral has the potential to produce something amazing with the Battlefield franchise.

DrZeus

BF:Cops may be interesting. Levelolution and large scale warfare in a police themed shooter seems odd without details. I'm cautiously optimistic.

...and more recently, the dreadfully shite Dead Space 3.

Didn't they also flub up Army of Two 3?

Teddified

I'll have to actually see what it's about and maybe wait for a few weeks for impressions before I decide to do any Battlefield again.

I was burned by BF4 but since I paid for it I'll eventually get into it, but I don't want something like that to happen again.

wicko

2008: Bad Company 1
2009: Battlefield 1943
2010: Bad Company 2
2011: Battlefield 3

2012 has been the only recent year without a Battlefield release, we should have seen this coming. Now, if Policefield is a download title like 1943 I won't have a problem with it but if it is a full retail Battlefield game I hope it blows up in EA's faces.

BC2 was beginning of March and BF3 was end of October, 1 year 8 month gap. Certainly nothing like CoD anyway.

Seems like Policefield would have much less vehicular combat, and at that point it wouldn't be much of a battlefield title.. I guess they have to piggyback off another franchise to get a SWAT game noticed. I'd probably welcome the change from fighting terrorists, though, so I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

Milennia

Please don't be police themed multiplayer.
I mean, ill have to see it and stuff, but man... That sounds pretty bland to me.
Not to say the whole modern war scene hasn't gotten bland for some, but this, to me at least, sounds just odd.
Open map conquest as a policeman.

If they pull it off and i like what i see, ill pick it up, but I'm going to remain skeptical until a gameplay reveal.

Dead Man

BC2 was beginning of March and BF3 was end of October, 1 year 8 month gap. Certainly nothing like CoD anyway.

Seems like Policefield would have much less vehicular combat, and at that point it wouldn't be much of a battlefield title.. I guess they have to piggyback off another franchise to get a SWAT game noticed. I'd probably welcome the change from fighting terrorists, though, so I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

Like that's going to change.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I think I have a good idea for a downloadable pre-order bonus character!

battlefield_badcop.jpg

Whompa

Oh come on, these games have always been screwed up. I always enjoyed being informed my team had won, when it really lost in BFBC2. Just last night the end match music just keep inadvertently repeating itself in BF4 MP, everyone in chat seemed upset, not me it kept in time with the speed metal I was listening to. My favorite is being had even though you are clearly behind cover, its just teaching you to be faster than the netcode. You know snatch the pebble from the hand grasshopper kinda shit.

I was in your boat for awhile. China Rising had me excited.

Here's where I fall under after the past few days: Their business model is to shove out game after game on a yearly basis and then trash the previous iteration. There's no long term. It's basically a yearly membership but none of the stuff from the previous year carries over. Tired of spending cash on something that I'll only have for a limited time.

I wasn't sure how to respond to this. Whether to be mad about yet another military shooter going yearly, or the Dead Space devs wasting their time on it. But I don't really like Battlefield no matter how frequently they come out, and Visceral already ruined Dead Space. I just don't have the energy for these types of things anymore.

Top Bottom