• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Visceral's Battlefield game has a police theme, is due later this year

LuchaShaq

Banned
You know the militarization of America's police is FUCKED when you can make a battlefield game centered around it.

Sadly this game will likely me

MERICA COPS SHOOT FIRST FUCK YO RIGHTS MERICA FUCK YEA style of bullshit.

eshwaaz

Despite some terrible decisions made with Dead Space 3, I still think Visceral is one of the most talented developers out there. Maybe they'll bring something unique to Battlefield, but I still wish they were working on a new IP instead.

ViciousDS

Banned
Can I ask why? Apart from the obvious "diluting the marketplace" garbage? If the games are still getting a decent (1.5-2 yr) development cycle then I don't really see a problem personally.

Cause that works do damn well with assassins creed which has a 3 year Dev period and call of duty which now has 3 year Dev period due to 3 teams.

Saturating the market every year with a niche title is not good.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Battlefield: PoliceCops

How can the title for this game even be in question at all?

battlefield_bc2.jpg

So it's going to be super badass cops which have like super high-tech gadgets and kill thousands of "gangster" like it's nothing?

At least it sounds better than making a Battlefield 5 which will be the same as 3 and 4.

jond76

Banned
Sweet. Now all the cop hate from the OT side can be over here too! :

Police theme is different enough to set itself apart I think. Lots of different situations. But most likely be cops v. terrorists or cops v. gangs.

curious to hear more.

Alienous

They are looking at Medal of Honor levels of controversy if the game gives me points for shooting cops in the face. Heck, probably even more outrage than that game inspired.

Police theme : yay!

But colour me pessimistic on it still being linked to the BF franchise. I don't have high expectations that the game will only rely on the branding, but be distinctively different from the BF franchise that it's basically a SWAT instead of a reskinned BF.

velociraptor

Police theme : yay!

But colour me pessimistic on it still being linked to the BF franchise. I don't have high expectations that the game will only rely on the branding, but be distinctively different from the BF franchise that it's basically a SWAT instead of a reskinned BF.

I honestly don't see how a large scale Battlefield Police experience would work.

I want something similar to SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six. Close quarters combat in addition to heist modes.

Hmmm, I don't see them changing the gameplay up much, so it's gotta be like cops defending a town from an invasion of some sort. Maybe Miami, Florida cops protecting their town from a Cuban invasion (well, Havana was mentioned in this leak)?

Tripon

My takeaway from all this is that EA clearly doesn't think the Battlefield brand isn't damaged, despite sending out a rushed buggy game on multiple platforms.

Joco

This sounds like a terrible idea. How would playing as the police even work for the large-scale battles Battlefield is known for? My best guess is there will probably be some terrorist attack and then you play as cops "Protectin 'Murica" and from there it will just devolve into your standard military shooter. I can already tell the campaign will be cringe-worthy to say the least.

I get the feeling there may be a split in the franchise. Battlefield 5 and onwards will be the original, large scale game, whereas BF Cops would be a smaller game to pull in the COD casuals.

jesus christ the amount of cop hate is ridiculous in this thread. Grow the fuck up already. Yeah cops do fucked up shit every once and awhile. Move the fuck on.

On topic. They could really do osmething great with the single player if done right. Make it realistic, you go into a situation not knowing shit about whats going on. Bank heists, guys stuck in their houses with guns threatening to kill his family. Swat shit. You can put cameras under doors and shit trying to see the bad guys.. There is so much potential for hostage situations.. High speed chases, theres so much stuff for them to do if they do it right.

Really you guys are so negative knowing nothing about the game is just stupid and depressing.

Can I ask why? Apart from the obvious "diluting the marketplace" garbage? If the games are still getting a decent (1.5-2 yr) development cycle then I don't really see a problem personally.

I suppose that's the right attitude - hopefully in future all games will be annual cash cows and we won't get any original and creative iP in the future as three or four massive franchises suck the market dry...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Sweet. Now all the cop hate from the OT side can be over here too! :

jesus christ the amount of cop hate is ridiculous in this thread. Grow the fuck up already. Yeah cops do fucked up shit every once and awhile. Move the fuck on.

I posted exactly two pics and I only have one more:

battlefield_bc3.jpg

Like it or not with the rising tension over incidences of police brutality AND escalating economic inequity, this just seems like a bad match for a gameplay experience in which you pretty much apply as much deadly force as possible, as quickly as possible.

I don't believe all police are bad or commit abuse of their power. I just believe a game in this area has huge potential to be culturally tone deaf to issues that are a lot closer to home for some Americans (pictured).

BibiMaghoo

I can see it already.

It will be the exact same game, but with a squad of city cops doing the counter terrorist thing instead of a squad of soldiers.

They will even bring back operation metro with cops.

It will be completely amazingly
the same
as previous BF campaigns.

Watch this game turn into the second coming of CoD 4. A Halo CE, GoldenEye, Titanfall (I have a feeling about Titanfall) game changer if you will, or not.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
And non-surprisingly will this sell less, partly because of the state bf4 launched in, and then EA will close Visceral... That's what's going to happen, right?

Oh that's entirely unrealistic. I'm sure that EA executives will understand that they destroyed the Dead Space series themselves by forcing it to be "wide appeal" with more action and microtransactions, and then gave Visceral a mountain to overcome by following up a completely broken game with a spinoff that comes too soon. EA's run by logical and understanding people, right?

rip in peace visceral

Top Bottom