• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polylgon: Rise of The Tomb Raider - 2 hours of gameplay (exploration & collectibles)

I'm on a blackout for this game. I pre-ordered, it should arrive at my door before the end of the week.

This Friday night will be Black Ops 3 and Tomb Raider !!!

Jobbs

Banned
Uhh it just said "must acquire rope arrows to continue beyond this point" WHAT? Come on. Respect the audience at least a little...

JayB1920

Uhh it just said "must acquire rope arrows to continue beyond this point" WHAT? Come on. Respect the audience at least a little...

Maybe its for people who haven't played the previous game and wouldn't know that was a possibility. I think its nice to know that there is more to explore in an area so I can come back later instead of missing something.

Jobbs

Banned
Maybe its for people who haven't played the previous game and wouldn't know that was a possibility. I think its nice to know that there is more to explore in an area so I can come back later instead of missing something.

I'm of the school of design thought that says players ought to explore and assess their environment for themselves, if they can't go further, they'll go another way while internalizing the fact that they couldn't go further the first way. All of these notifications are just poison to the experience.

JayB1920

I'm of the school of design thought that says players ought to explore and assess their environment for themselves, if they can't go further, they'll go another way while internalizing the fact that they couldn't go further the first way. All of these notifications are just poison to the experience.

I see your point. I guess the best solution would be to make messages and hints an option just like survival instincts.

Harlequin

I see your point. I guess the best solution would be to make messages and hints an option just like survival instincts.

That and they'd have to give us the option to turn off those hideous, glowing white ledges and ropes. But the TR fan community has been campaigning against those white ledges for almost ten years now and they're still there so that's not gonna happen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Been working all day on my analysis for the game. Can't really say anything until review day, though, but it's looking to be a very long video indeed. There is a LOT to talk about.

JayB1920

I will say that even though the tomb message nearby still comes up it does so at a much further distance and the tombs require a bit more effort than finding a cave entrance. The path to the tombs once you find the entrance are much better too going off a couple different game play clips I've seen. There is some actual platforming, traps, exploration and light puzzle solving rather than a slow walk through a linear cave before reaching the tombs themselves (which appear to be much larger). All 6-7 challenge tombs i've seen glimpses of so far are quite varied as well. A lot of the ones in the reboot were kind of sameish looking. The one tomb I have seen the entire puzzle of was much better in that it required several steps to complete and was a bit clever actually even if easy. I think there will be a lot to like here even if you have to go off the beaten path to find it. I just hope there is some more long sections like the Syria tomb in the main game and that the puzzles get more complex.

v0mitg0d

Ok, so here's 45 minutes of gameplay. Looking for some feedback. I think my mic is too high and the game volume too low, or do you lik the levels?

Also, the game just uplaoded to YT so 1080P is still rendering. Had fun doing this! :)

https://youtu.be/FtHdcIrBD8k

That and they'd have to give us the option to turn off those hideous, glowing white ledges and ropes. But the TR fan community has been campaigning against those white ledges for almost ten years now and they're still there so that's not gonna happen.

Isn't that an option in the menus? In SlasherJPC's video he said he turned off "shimmering interactions" and I didn't see any glowing ledges in his video.

Been working all day on my analysis for the game. Can't really say anything until review day, though, but it's looking to be a very long video indeed. There is a LOT to talk about.

The footage is lookin pretty solid so far. So lookin forward to your video.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wish they'd hurry up and release it so they can start talking about next years release.

JayB1920

Must be more then only this game? Sure it's your opinion and i respect that, but Tomb Raider?...really?

Ori, Tomb Raider, Forza were enough for me. Whats wrong with really liking Tomb Raider? I've played every single TR game except for AOD amd loved them all. It is my personal favorite game series.

XsomX

Neo Member
I have played RotTR during one of gaming events and I need to say it's pretty much boring when you know what to do. Playing it for the second time was quite dull cause you knew where traps were and where to shoot.
I didn't have the same feeling in Uncharted.

Harlequin

Isn't that an option in the menus? In SlasherJPC's video he said he turned off "shimmering interactions" and I didn't see any glowing ledges in his video.

No, he's talking about the Survival Instinct (which is like Batman's Detective Mode or Assassin's Creed's Eagle Eye). That can be turned off in the options. But even without it the environment is littered with obnoxious white-painted ledges and walls and rope that looks whiter than the teeth of actors in toothpaste commercials.

Yeah, between cutting out 3 of the platforms that the previous title launched on, and coming out on Fallout 4's release date, I predict another "sales weren't as high as we wanted" from Square Enix.
I hope it doesn't kill the franchise tbh. If it does because of SE's stupidity I'll be so pressed.

Can't wait for this tho. Looking forward to diving in :)

L4nnist3r

I have played RotTR during one of gaming events and I need to say it's pretty much boring when you know what to do. Playing it for the second time was quite dull cause you knew where traps were and where to shoot.

Good, why would you want it to be like Uncharted, tis is Tomb Raider. I guess the game wont offer much replay value, i'll be the judge when i get it.

Harlequin

Good, why would you want it to be like Uncharted, tis is Tomb Raider. I guess the game wont offer much replay value, i'll be the judge when i get it.

Well, it's what Crystal seem to be trying to emulate with the rebooted series so it's not so much a matter of whether we want it to be like Uncharted, it's more a matter of them making it more like Uncharted and then obviously, when it's so similar, people will compare the two to each other and if TR can't measure up to Uncharted (which is, of course, quite a subjective matter), well...

L4nnist3r

Well, it's what Crystal seem to be trying to emulate with the rebooted series so it's not so much a matter of whether we want it to be like Uncharted, it's more a matter of them making it more like Uncharted and then obviously, when it's so similar, people will compare the two to each other and if TR can't measure up to Uncharted (which is, of course, quite a subjective matter), well...

You got that right ;)

Have you ever played a linear game before? Honest question.

dreamfall

Interesting! I can't wait to see some tech breakdowns.

Definitely got an XBO primarily for this too, really excited to see how it turns out. Before double-dipping probably on PC- but also, it's just kind of mindless fun. To collect everything, to do all the challenges. and to explore every little bit of the hubs. I hope the story is much better this time around- last time it was serviceable, but way too simple.

Pif

Banned
I got bored of the last tomb raider rather quickly, and I really want to like this one because it must be better in all regards but
... I just couldn't care. Releasing after Uncharted 4 is also not gonna help in my case (don't own an xbox).

Theorry

I got bored of the last tomb raider rather quickly, and I really want to like this one because it must be better in all regards but
... I just couldn't care. Releasing after Uncharted 4 is also not gonna help in my case (don't own an xbox).

Wut?

Im excited for this but man those ground and rock textures look like a blurry mess, judging by the videos, still gonna play on dat one but I hope thst looks better in person.

Hmmm, with the amount of gameplay shown for this game. I don't think I need to buy it anymore. What's left for me to see and play?

Yea, they've been pretty open with the game... I guess its just to get the hype rolling, though if you're a fan I think you'd want a little blackout to save the good stuff

XsomX

Neo Member
Have you ever played a linear game before? Honest question.

Yeah, but some of them have replay value, and some doesn't. New TR is certainly in the second group. RotTR is like those survival horrors. They're scary when you don't know what's gonna happen but after you finish them, they have nufin more to offer.

JayB1920

Yeah, but some of them have replay value, and some doesn't. New TR is certainly in the second group. RotTR is like those survival horrors. They're scary when you don't know what's gonna happen but after you finish them, they have nufin more to offer.

I played the Reboot several times and haven't got bored so I guess it depends on the person. Uncharted gets boring for me because of the linearity. TR offers some exploration, challenge tombs, upgrading, etc.

XsomX

Neo Member
I played the Reboot several times and haven't got bored so I guess it depends on the person. Uncharted gets boring for me because of the linearity. TR offers some exploration, challenge tombs, upgrading, etc.

Can't arque with that. For me Uncharted was better, so I guess this is why I have this problem with TR. Gonna play it anyway.

Kar

Since the game does not look impressive at all (IMO, at least), I find your post very interesting.

Top Bottom