• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polylgon: Rise of The Tomb Raider - 2 hours of gameplay (exploration & collectibles)

JayB1920

Can't arque with that. For me Uncharted was better, so I guess this is why I have this problem with TR. Gonna play it anyway.

Yeah though I still love Uncharted for the superior story, characters and set piece moments. I just get a bit bored with the gunplay after a while. There is at least twice as much combat as the Reboot which already has a lot. I remember reading how may enemies you kill in the Uncharted games compared to TR and it was something like 800 in each Uncharted vs around 400 in the Reboot.

Maybe its for people who haven't played the previous game and wouldn't know that was a possibility. I think its nice to know that there is more to explore in an area so I can come back later instead of missing something.

If you can see an area you can't reach in a game where backtracking is possible, it should be pretty obvious you can go back there once you have the means to access it. I think most of GAF would agree that they'd rather find things out by themselves instead of having every single element of the game labeled with explicit instructions. Wouldn't you?

I played the Reboot several times and haven't got bored so I guess it depends on the person. Uncharted gets boring for me because of the linearity. TR offers some exploration, challenge tombs, upgrading, etc.

Nevermind.

Good, why would you want it to be like Uncharted, tis is Tomb Raider. I guess the game wont offer much replay value, i'll be the judge when i get it.

Ask Crystal Dynamics.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No way I'm watching 2 hours of gameplay but I'm definitely looking forward to grabbing this on PC next year.

JayB1920

If you can see an area you can't reach in a game where backtracking is possible, it should be pretty obvious you can go back there once you have the means to access it. I think most of GAF would agree that they'd rather find things out by themselves instead of having every single element of the game labeled with explicit instructions. Wouldn't you?

Nevermind.

Ask Crystal Dynamics.

Yeah id prefer to discover on my own too. I think it should be an option like survival instincts. Id turn it off if I could. I was just saying why they included messages like that.

I don't know why but I prefer TR to Uncharted i just do. I think the mechanics are better overall. Uncharted has the better story, characters and set pieces though. I still think they do enough to separate themselves though that both are worth playing.

Falchion

Wow that's a ton of gameplay. Kudos to them on showing so much for people that are interested. I know I'm getting it so I won't spoil this for my playthrough.

Setsuna

That almost spoiler!

But then I realized I wont be playing the game for another 3-4 months and will probably be spoiled before then

Megatron

I REALLY want to have this game...

But there are only like two-three games on the Xbox One I want. :/

I'm sure there will be more down the line. Some great deals now and black Friday. The best buy deal is pretty great: $399 for 1tb xb1, tr13, RotTR, a free game (such as Halo 5) and a $50 gift card.

Shin-Ra

AI and aiming still look kinda broken.

https://youtu.be/KQ6gntKyAvA?t=32m55s

Just stands there waiting to be shot after his three companions have been downed. Either everyone demoing this is terrible at aiming or the controls aren't analog enough, too.

edit: The next guy Lara misses twice just keeps walking into the wall when the arrows miss him, making him an easy target.

jelly

Just me or is it all a bit dull. I don't think it being so similar helps, looks like another level from the first game. Encounters and actions aren't exactly doing much to be excited about. Going through the motions. It seems like the on rails and set pieces are turned up a notch which is nice looking but adds mostly nothing to the meat of the game.

zsynqx

Just me or is it all a bit dull. I don't think it being so similar helps, looks like another level from the first game. Encounters and actions aren't exactly doing much to be excited about. Going through the motions. It seems like the on rails and set pieces are turned up a notch which is nice looking but adds mostly nothing to the meat of the game.

Very early in the game so might explain it, hopefully things ratchet up a bit as you go on.

daffy

Banned
I'm sure there will be more down the line. Some great deals now and black Friday. The best buy deal is pretty great: $399 for 1tb xb1, tr13, RotTR, a free game (such as Halo 5) and a $50 gift card.
Literally JUST bought this same bundle from the Microsoft store before this gift card deal came out.

Hoje0308

Banned
I have played RotTR during one of gaming events and I need to say it's pretty much boring when you know what to do. Playing it for the second time was quite dull cause you knew where traps were and where to shoot.
I didn't have the same feeling in Uncharted.

Ah, a lone junior has separated himself from the pack and made camp under a bridge. 70% of them won't survive the first year, but without his brethren, the odds are even less than that.

I love nature shows.

Clearly, considering that XsomX has played Uncharted. Just trying to ruin a good Tomb Raider thread, like always.

You can't have an Uncharted thread without someone saying, "But serial killer Drake!" and you can't have a Tomb Raider thread without the "My Uncharted could beat up your Tomb Raider" nonsense. I try to find the humor in it.

Kuro

Ok, so here's 45 minutes of gameplay. Looking for some feedback. I think my mic is too high and the game volume too low, or do you lik the levels?

Also, the game just uplaoded to YT so 1080P is still rendering. Had fun doing this! :)

https://youtu.be/FtHdcIrBD8k
That first building you enter looks exactly the same as one in Tomb Raider 2013. Even the layout of the area around it.

Naughty Dog has created the better settings and character IMO but from a Gameplay perspective I enjoyed the 2013 TR more than any Uncharted. Feels better to me to control, using the weapons such as the shotgun or even the crossbow feel more satisfying to me than Drake and even the climbing.

I thought CD did a great job and I'm hoping the sequel is even better.

I hope nobody is taking my question too seriously though. It's merely curiosity from me. Nothing more, nothing less. I like my games realistic. ;)

Besides the fact there's nothing wrong with the question anyway.

I hope nobody is taking my question too seriously though. It's merely curiosity from me. Nothing more, nothing less. I like my games realistic. ;)

Besides the fact there's nothing wrong with the question anyway.

No offence to you personally, I have met some pretty strange people in my life, sometimes my "are you serious" radar needs fixing

No offence to you personally, I have met some pretty strange people in my life, sometimes my "are you serious" radar needs fixing

It's all good. No problem :)

So i was watching Gamersyde's new stream and something i noticed...Blim says ''quote: Only 900p, but it certainly pushes the hardware etc....'' wasn't Rise of the Tomb Raider confirmed 1080p/30fps?

Harlequin

Yeah that's the one. I was just surprised that they re-used that building but hey games re-use assets all the time.

Strangely enough it doesn't actually seem to be the same asset, it's just the same rough layout (it still makes the whole thing feel even more been-there-done-that, though). Also, the 2013 game didn't only have one building with that layout, it had two. So this is the third time they've used it.

BTW, I'll be doing the OP (because I kinda forgot that I had claimed it back before the whole exclusivity mess and it's a little too late to unclaim it now LOL). Does anyone have any suggestions for the title? I'm thinking of poking some fun at the game's awkward title. You know, The Legend of the Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Dark Knight's Revenge Begins or some such thing. But I feel like that's maybe a little obvious and unfunny so It'd be great to hear some other suggestions :).

It's all good. No problem :)

So i was watching Gamersyde's new stream and something i noticed...Blim says ''quote: Only 900p, but it certainly pushes the hardware etc....'' wasn't Rise of the Tomb Raider confirmed 1080p/30fps?

Yeah, it was. Either the guy is wrong or Crystal couldn't get it to run at 1080p.

Strangely enough it doesn't actually seem to be the same asset, it's just the same rough layout (it still makes the whole thing feel even more been-there-done-that, though). Also, the 2013 game didn't only have one building with that layout, it had two. So this is the third time they've used it.

BTW, I'll be doing the OP (because I kinda forgot that I had claimed it back before the whole exclusivity mess and it's a little too late to unclaim it now LOL). Does anyone have any suggestions for the title? I'm thinking of poking some fun at the game's awkward title. You know, Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Optional Tomb Raiding or some such thing. But I feel like that's maybe a little obvious and unfunny so It'd be great to hear some other suggestions :).

Yeah, it was. Either the guy is wrong or Crystal couldn't get it to run at 1080p.

They spoke about Eurogamer, so i just looked it up but according to Eurogamer DF it's a full 1080p presentation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

As has been echoed time and again: Why does this game have to come out the same day as Fallout 4?
Yeah, I think they screwed up big time launching this with Fallout 4. I love TR but Fallout has me by the gonads. I can get both, but I know I will spend at least 200 hours in Fallout so I want to get started.

Ason

Game looks beautiful.

And its cool that they let you turn off the hints/shimmering interactions. Make the player feel smart when they solve the puzzles in the tombs. Might have to pick this up sooner than I thought.

Nice to hear, will definatly do that.

Judging by these videos the anti-aliasing seems to have been improved significantly. But then again, these are Youtube videos and that always masks that kind of ugly stuff. But overall it's looking damn fine indeed, especially underground, that looks goddamn sweet.

Watching some youtubers play it, on mute, not all of them but damn some are so obnoxious it's unbearable. Game looks as fun as the first, that will do me

IT looks pretty decent so far. I'm not a big graphics guy, so I'm mainly focusing on the gameplay. Granted it looks like your typical adventure with platforming elements and shooting and stealth and set pieces, but the gameplay looks quite decent. I'm not a big collectathon fan, mainly because they drive me nuts and I end up resorting to guides to ensure I get everything on three playthroughs minimum. And the amount of collectables in this game look..ridiculous. Coin caches, murals, historical artifacts, documents all over open areas, some which mean you can't backtrack to get stuff? Granted, Lara Vision mitigates that potential frustration, but...why does Lara Vision even exist? Although, I do like the language mechanic. That sounds like a cool and organic way of putting puzzles in the game. Getting back to the point, I'm hoping it surprises me a la Sleeping Dogs and ends up being fun. My guess is, I'll be turning to this series to get my Uncharted fix once the series ends.

I love how dark and moody the crypts look and they really got that look nailed down of how things like that should look like. The tombs look like proper tombs too, hopefully the puzzles as well. I sure as hell will be disabling the instinct mode or whatever it's called right away. I might actually start playing on Survivor. I like the idea of no health regen.

With his comment I think you already know the answer to that...

Because boobs don't move in real life so it would be realistic to have them static. Lara can kill a bear and be covered in gory blood but boob pyshics? Disgusting!

Seriously... Can someone enjoy real and virtual boobs? Lara is a girl. She is sexy.

Edit: Only the Lara you see in the opening movie of the reboot is sexy though. Not the others.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Because boobs don't move in real life so it would be realistic to have them static. Lara can kill a bear and be covered in gory blood but boob pyshics? Disgusting!

Seriously... Can someone enjoy real and virtual boobs? Lara is a girl. She is sexy.

Edit: Only the Lara you see in the opening movie of the reboot is sexy though. Not the others.

The industry needs better dick physics. I elect Kratos to spearhead that movement.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Since the game does not look impressive at all (IMO, at least), I find your post very interesting.
Well, there's more here than meets the eye.

I want to discuss all of the techniques being used in this game (and there is a lot of clever stuff). Even if the end results are disappointing, there is a lot under the hood that is worth exploring.

So, "The Price of Timed Exclusivity"?
Pretty confident that a PS4 version of the game would look basically identical while running at a smoother frame-rate. Some of its issues aren't tied to the selected platform.

Anyway, i'm not a fan of the reboot at all. It's nothing like the first Tomb Raider, the only Lara Croft game i've enjoyed. Crystal Dinamics took too much from the Uncharted series without many differences. (and for this seems like there are TLoU influences too, like in RE revelations 2) I prefer every Uncharted over the reboot so i will not buy this game even if it wasn't timed exclusive.

But looks nice and seems fun. I hope it sells enough for a sequel.

Well, there's more here than meets the eye.

I want to discuss all of the techniques being used in this game (and there is a lot of clever stuff). Even if the end results are disappointing, there is a lot under the hood that is worth exploring.

Pretty confident that a PS4 version of the game would look basically identical while running at a smoother frame-rate. Some of its issues aren't tied to the selected platform.

Will there be any DF coverage of the 360 version? I know theres a fair few of us interested in the performance of that port.

Does anyone know if the shaky camera is back for this game?
It's really hard to tell without actually playing it.

I really hope they ditched it, was a real gamebreaker for me.

Top Bottom