• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polylgon: Rise of The Tomb Raider - 2 hours of gameplay (exploration & collectibles)

mocoworm

Game looks incredible. Day 1 purchase for sure. The last one was one of the games of the generation for me on my 360.

Because boobs don't move in real life so it would be realistic to have them static. Lara can kill a bear and be covered in gory blood but boob pyshics? Disgusting!

Seriously... Can someone enjoy real and virtual boobs? Lara is a girl. She is sexy.

Edit: Only the Lara you see in the opening movie of the reboot is sexy though. Not the others.

Exactly man. I always find it so funny when someone comments on it, acting like it's something immature, something weird, when it really isn't at all. But it's all good with me, no big deal at all.

Well, there's more here than meets the eye.

I want to discuss all of the techniques being used in this game (and there is a lot of clever stuff). Even if the end results are disappointing, there is a lot under the hood that is worth exploring.

Pretty confident that a PS4 version of the game would look basically identical while running at a smoother frame-rate. Some of its issues aren't tied to the selected platform.

Well....except probably for anti-aliasing. I definitely believe it's gonna look better in that regard when the PS4 version releases. But maybe not....but it wouldn't surprise me. The shimmering on those trees outside is really a bummer.

I think it looks pretty good. I thought the last one was pretty average across the board, but this one looks to build on the past formular and make it more compelling. May pick it up down the road...

He means the PS4 version. Either way I find them different enough to enjoy both. Uncharted doesn't have the large explorable areas, crafting, upgrading or challenge tombs/puzzles all of which I enjoy.

Going by the last tomb raider, I wouldn't say tomb raider has those either really. Upgrading in particular didn't seem to be very compelling. This new one does look like it has bigger areas anyway.

JayB1920

I think it looks pretty good. I thought the last one was pretty average across the board, but this one looks to build on the past formular and make it more compelling. May pick it up down the road...

Going by the last tomb raider, I wouldn't say tomb raider has those either really. Upgrading in particular didn't seem to be very compelling. This new one does look like it has bigger areas anyway.

I guess the feature wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been but I had fun with it. The features and collectibles seem to tie into gameplay more now and at least make sense with the archaeology/tomb raiding/survival theme so they shouldn't feel to much like useless filler. The areas are definitely larger and more interesting looking and the challenge tombs seem more worth the time to do in terms of reward, size, and actually looking like a tomb environment. Puzzle difficulty remains to be seen but they are at least multi step now and take longer to complete. They also appear to mix in some platforming to which is nice. I think it will set itself apart nicely form Uncharted at least in gameplay systems.

We are planning to cover it as well! I personally cannot wait!

Awesome! I'm almost certainly getting it regardless, but I can't pick it up until pay day which is a week after launch so I'll be watching with interest to see what I'm in for.

I really hope it's a Titanfall 360-style technical masterpiece

amardilo

Does anyone know when the reviews for this game are out? I'm starting to like the look of this but I'd like to read/hear some video game sites opinions of the overall game before pre-ordering.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Awesome! I'm almost certainly getting it regardless, but I can't pick it up until pay day which is a week after launch so I'll be watching with interest to see what I'm in for.

I really hope it's a Titanfall 360-style technical masterpiece
Unfortunately, we won't be able to have anything for the 360 version ready for launch as we do not have it yet. When we can get our hands on it, though, I'll be doing a direct comparison.

JayB1920

Does anyone know when the reviews for this game are out? I'm starting to like the look of this but I'd like to read/hear some video game sites opinions of the overall game before pre-ordering.

Very early on Monday though I'm not sure of the exact time. Did you play the Reboot? If so what were your major complaints with it that you wanted to see if they were resolved?

amardilo

Very early on Monday though I'm not sure of the exact time. Did you play the Reboot? If so what were your major complaints with it that you wanted to see if they were resolved?

Thanks!

I did play the reboot and liked it a lot. My main concern was more a case of money and it comes out the same day as Fallout 4. The other concern I had was that pre-orders seem to come with a few little extras so I was wondering if I could sneak a pre-order in before it's released.

I had to take some holiday from work so I have most of next week off and I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 and if reviews for this are good I'll get this and play it in between sessions of Fallout.

JayB1920

Thanks!

I did play the reboot and liked it a lot. My main concern was more a case of money and it comes out the same day as Fallout 4. The other concern I had was that pre-orders seem to come with a few little extras so I was wondering if I could sneak a pre-order in before it's released.

I had to take some holiday from work so I have most of next week off and I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 and if reviews for this are good I'll get this and play it in between sessions of Fallout.

Should be a safe bet for preordering then if you enjoyed the Reboot. This looks to expand on all of it while keeping the core gameplay the same. Should review fairly well since it isn't a release day embargo and previews have been mostly positive. I'm thinking complaints will mainly be about story, occasional camera issues, and maybe graphics like aliasing.

v0mitg0d

Does anyone know if the shaky camera is back for this game?
It's really hard to tell without actually playing it.

I really hope they ditched it, was a real gamebreaker for me.

You mean during gameplay? It appears its prevalent than the first but I could be wrong.

v0mitg0d

As has been echoed time and again: Why does this game have to come out the same day as Fallout 4?

It does seem like a questionable release time.
When I was in the MS cave at e3, I overheard the design lead asked "Are you concerned about releasing the same day as Fallout 4"? and he answers "Not really, we're very different games."

v0mitg0d

Good video dude!! I couldn't really hear the game volume but aside from that I thought it was really good. I think this game looks freakin amazing.

THANK YOU! You just made my day! <3

This is my first video with my new equipment, meaning I captured the video instead of streaming it via twitch and then uploading it. Plus a new mic.

I would love some critique from others too. I will get better with the help of fellow GAFers.

- Was the video too long?

- Boring? Should I have talked more or less?

- I see a lot of YTers not really talking about the gameplay & systems--which is cool--but they just sort of playing the game and have fun. I figured I would do that too + discuss gameplay and design. Sound good?

- I clearly need to up the game volume right?

Thanks GAF, really appreciate your input!

Strike00

Banned
I already see some gameplay walkthroughs's uploaded on Youtube, however it's all with commentary or someone's ugly mutt in a corner of the video.
Does anyone have a link without the stuff I mentioned? cause I can't seem to find one.

JayB1920

THANK YOU! You just made my day! <3

This is my first video with my new equipment, meaning I captured the video instead of streaming it via twitch and then uploading it. Plus a new mic.

I would love some critique from others too. I will get better with the help of fellow GAFers.

- Was the video too long?

- Boring? Should I have talked more or less?

- I see a lot of YTers not really talking about the gameplay & systems--which is cool--but they just sort of playing the game and have fun. I figured I would do that too + discuss gameplay and design. Sound good?

- I clearly need to up the game volume right?

Thanks GAF, really appreciate your input!

Video was not too long but it will be more entertaining when you are allowed to show more. The amount of talking was fine. I like that you explain the gameplay and systems. Game volume definitely needs to be louder since its very hard to hear what is going on.

v0mitg0d

Video was not too long but it will be more entertaining when you are allowed to show more. The amount of talking was fine. I like that you explain the gameplay and systems. Game volume definitely needs to be louder since its very hard to hear what is going on.

Totally agree, thanks for the input.

Unfortunately I showed about as much MS would allow.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I knew we could trust Nixxes with the 360 port, they are up there with the best in porting studios

I think in terms of sales, Tomb Raider will be a slow burner. It will probably do alright at launch and then slow down, due to limiting the systems it's available for at launch and then pick up again when PC and PS4 versions release later next year.

Also not going in Tomb Raiders favor, is that it has to compete with the likes of Halo 5, Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4, all pretty massive games, which have just launched or are just about to launch and will probably be more popular to a lot of gamers, compared to Tomb Raider. Anyone with a limited budget might pick one of those over Tomb Raider at launch.

They really would have been better launching at a less busy time of year, not going up against such big selling franchises, the last Tomb Raider wasn't the best seller and that was multi-platform but I don't think it will be a total flop, but definitely a slow burner.

XsomX

Neo Member
Ah, a lone junior has separated himself from the pack and made camp under a bridge. 70% of them won't survive the first year, but without his brethren, the odds are even less than that.

Please turn it off if you've got any problem. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't watch the video since I have seen a decent amount of gameplay videos already but at the very least, im hoping that I enjoy the game as much as I did the 2013 reboot even though im expecting to enjoy it more, so much more in fact that I purchased an Xbox One yesterday at Best Buy.

Game looks great and more open than the previous one. Expecting it to be only the fourth game this generation to hit my 9 or higher rating. Also, im hoping the game sells good because im a Crystal Dynamics fan and don't want to see them get blamed for poor sales just because of Microsoft and Square Enix. UGH.

Gurish

I think its gonna be 90 metacritic. Or close to it like 89.
Will see. Embargo is tomorrow right?
Write it down: 84 MC.

I don't think the game improves that much to score 90, today is much more difficult to get 9 MC than it used to be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks absolutely gorgeous. Crystal Dynamics has some incredible artists.

Won't be able to play until Thursday night.

GHG

Wow, is the hype kinda low for this game or something? 10 minutes until embargo and no one talking about it...just Fallout 4.

Well people were saying this about the release date when it announced...

Can't wait for the first "if it didn't release on the same day as Fallout 4 it would have reviewed better" comment.

Well people were saying this about the release date when it announced...

Very true. I just thought with reviews literally minutes away, there might be more disussion. Bad release timing and XB1 exclusive are the reasons I think.

I predict Meta of 89.

Top Bottom