• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Nintendo Publishing Devil's Third in the Americas, Valhalla Game Studios on PC

5 Good Things About Devil's Third:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPyfwIBpCT8&feature=youtu.be

--fun gameplay
--good gameplay balance that's tough but fair
--good boss fights

oh god what a disaster. Notice how a ton of outlets have the game right now but aren't saying very much? And nintendolife hopped immediately on the negativity bandwagon, but is now flip-flopping?

Maybe wait until all the cards are in until you melt down about the game, instead of listening to a few vague previews, early footage, and screenshots of a low poly car. Unless you have a disease where your opinions can't age past early, incomplete impressions or something.
It's not just one outlet, and it's not like Nintendo Life has been flip flopping or whatever. It's a 2 part video series on the good and bad of the game.
The footage isn't early either, it's the retail build of the game

Glad it's coming even though it's probably a rental/bargain bin find. Sadly this will probably be the last mature-rated game on the Wii U.

Knowing that this is an actual car had made me feel much better

6-10-2013%2010-11-12%20AM-300x175.jpg

(It's an aircraft support vehicle)

Real life is N64 confirmed.

It's not just one outlet, and it's not like Nintendo Life has been flip flopping or whatever. It's a 2 part video series on the good and bad of the game.
The footage isn't early either, it's the retail build of the game

they put out the first preview, mostly bashing it.

Amir0x

Banned
That's not fair, actually. I wasn't presenting evidence the game was good, I was just saying wait until we get actual complete information, since this site started out calling it shit, which is what most people here are basing their opinion on, and is now doing a 180 on that.

This is just revisionist nonsense by someone inexplicably desperate to defend a title that is being trashed essentially everywhere. A multitude of severely negative previews of the final version have come out.

Eurogamer

Eurogamer said:
Going from those first few hours, then, Devil's Third is undoubtedly a bad game. It pushes beyond that, even, to be a truly atrocious one, one that now teeters on the edge of becoming a glorious car crash you can't help but stop and stare at. I'm amazed that Nintendo has backed this mess (and there are rumours that it's already getting cold feet overseas), but also astonished and slightly grateful that games like this still exist.

Nintendolife
Videogamer
Nintendo World Report

I can list a zillion sites for you if you like. Almost every single site that has played the final build has eviscerated the product in their final previews. Literally any positive final preview is the extreme exception at this point. That's just the facts of life, and it's something you need to deal with.

Nobody has to pretend there's a good chance this game is anything but abject garbage to appease you.

PtM

Banned
This is just revisionist nonsense by someone inexplicably desperate to defend a title that is being trashed essentially everywhere. A multitude of severely negative previews of the final version have come out.

Eurogamer

Nintendolife
Videogamer
Nintendo World Report

I can list a zillion sites for you if you like. Almost every single site that has played the final build has eviscerated the product in their final previews. Literally any positive final preview is the extreme exception at this point. That's just the facts of life, and it's something you need to deal with.

Nobody has to pretend there's a good chance this game is anything but abject garbage to appease you.

Heh, previews are the new reviews.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, previews are the new reviews.

Previews are basically glorified advertisements half the time. When previews are this negative for a final build, there's only one conclusion to draw.

You're of course free to fantasize about Devil's Third actually coming out the other side in a form that isn't abysmal, or buying the product and pretending it's great to justify your purchase, or just being one of the few on earth who legitimately like it.

But the game is trash by all evidence we have before us. I like Itagaki and many of his games, but even I'm not going near this festering turd at this point. And I was looking forward to it until the word got out about how bad it was in the past few weeks.

PtM

Banned
Previews are basically glorified advertisements half the time. When previews are this negative for a final build, there's only one conclusion to draw.
That's what I meant by my comment. They're only called previews because of the embargo.

Amir0x

Banned
That's what I meant by my comment. They're only called previews because of the embargo.

Ah, I read it like you were being sarcastic at people drawing conclusions from the previews as if they were reviews. My bad.

I wish it wasn't this way, but I think we can safely say this game's troubled development really doomed it, on top of Itagaki maybe not being quite as bad ass a game designer/director as we thought..

Eurogamer

Nintendolife
Videogamer
Nintendo World Report

Yeah, so inexplicably desper---

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172159670&postcount=123
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172184338&postcount=211
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172188482&postcount=224
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172230649&postcount=305
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172322506&postcount=349
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171953102&postcount=288
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171956206&postcount=309
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172011008&postcount=506

...and i got bored of searching after that. I don't think I've expressed any interest in it outside of it being a curiosity. I've said about 50 times i'm not hopeful for it being good. I was just saying there that we don't have all the info in yet. With these kinds of action games, lots of different variables are at play. It's easy to shit on the N64 car that you see on your playthrough. I'd like to see gameplay picked apart, myself. Not just "LEL IT'S A BUTTON MASHER" from some douche.

but thanks for randomly jumping in a couple weeks into this discussion and acting like you know my position though. Please keep shitting on people who aren't just right in lock step with everyone else, it's wonderful for discussion. You don't seem like you're just picking a fight or anything.

FZZ

Banned
Lol could've sworn Emily Rodgers tweeted out saying Xseed was gonna publish in NA

But now her Twitter is private.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, so inexplicably desper---

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172159670&postcount=123
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172184338&postcount=211
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172188482&postcount=224
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172230649&postcount=305
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172322506&postcount=349
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171953102&postcount=288
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171956206&postcount=309
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172011008&postcount=506

...and i got bored of searching after that. I don't think I've expressed any interest in it outside of it being a curiosity. I've said about 50 times i'm not hopeful for it being good. I was just saying there that we don't have all the info in yet. With these kinds of action games, lots of different variables are at play. It's easy to shit on the N64 car that you see on your playthrough. I'd like to see gameplay picked apart, myself. Not just "LEL IT'S A BUTTON MASHER" from some douche.

This is you just a page ago. Because, ya know, we can read:

5 Good Things About Devil's Third:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPyf...ature=youtu.be

--fun gameplay
--good gameplay balance that's tough but fair
--good boss fights

oh god what a disaster. Notice how a ton of outlets have the game right now but aren't saying very much? And nintendolife hopped immediately on the negativity bandwagon, but is now flip-flopping?

That's why I said you were inexplicably trying to defend the game - as in, it's not explainable by anything that makes sense. Because your defense was "Nintendolife hopped on the negative bandwagon and is flip-flopping" and a lot of obvious subtext where you're trying to imply that outlets have the final game and now suddenly like it which is why they're being quiet. But the reality is every fucking person on this green Earth is shitting on the game because it's an abominable piece of garbage.

Most of the time, you'd be right - you know, previews are previews, and hey you never know how a game will turn out. But this time you're going around scolding people for making conclusions about the game, and you know what? They're right. These are expensive products. This is a game that has had its final build previews across the net, and everyone is taking a steaming dump on its chest. You'd have to want to shovel your cash directly into a furnace to even spend one second defending its merits or trying to tell people to "wait and see." They did wait and see - everyone said it's shit in the final build previews. In previews! In reviews, it's gonna score like 1.0 if historical precedence is anything to go by.

Because Nintendolife is not flip flopping due to some sudden Devil's Third quality. Everyone still thinks it's shit. So I don't know what point you were actually trying to make, except to inexplicably defend a game for no reason at all. There's being fair minded, and then there's being absurd for no reason.

Everyone has a right to shit on the game as it stands now. The vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people who have spent time with the final game have laid out all very similar reasons for why the game is a disaster.

So, I dunno, maybe stop policing people for them acknowledging the simple truth the game is garbage?

but thanks for randomly jumping in a couple weeks into this discussion and acting like you know my position though. Please keep shitting on people who aren't just right in lock step with everyone else, it's wonderful for discussion. You don't seem like you're just picking a fight or anything.

Please. If you think me attacking your ridiculous position is "shitting on you", then you take your positions on videogames way too personally and that's something you have to deal with.

Your position is fucking ridiculous. If you don't want people calling out your arguments, you shouldn't make them.

This is you just a page ago. Because, ya know, we can read:

That's why I said you were inexplicably trying to defend the game - as in, it's not explainable by anything that makes sense. Because your defense was "Nintendolife hopped on the negative bandwagon and is flip-flopping" and a lot of obvious subtext where you're trying to imply that outlets have the final game and now suddenly like it which is why they're being quiet. But the reality is every fucking person on this green Earth is shitting on the game because it's an abominable piece of garbage.

Most of the time, you'd be right - you know, previews are previews, and hey you never know how a game will turn out. But this time you're going around scolding people for making conclusions about the game, and you know what? They're right. These are expensive products. This is a game that has had its final build previews across the net, and everyone is taking a steaming dump on its chest. You'd have to want to shovel your cash directly into a furnace to even spend one second defending its merits or trying to tell people to "wait and see." They did wait and see - everyone said it's shit in the final build previews. In previews! In reviews, it's gonna score like 1.0 if historical precedence is anything to go by.

Because Nintendolife is not flip flopping due to some sudden Devil's Third quality. Everyone still thinks it's shit. So I don't know what point you were actually trying to make, except to inexplicably defend a game for no reason at all. There's being fair minded, and then there's being absurd for no reason.

Everyone has a right to shit on the game as it stands now. The vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people who have spent time with the final game have laid out all very similar reasons for why the game is a disaster.

So, I dunno, maybe stop policing people for them acknowledging the simple truth the game is garbage?

Please. If you think me attacking your ridiculous position is "shitting on you", then you take your positions on videogames way too personally and that's something you have to deal with.

Your position is fucking ridiculous. If you don't want people calling out your arguments, you shouldn't make them.

umm, with all this projection, it seems like something other than video games is wrong here, so I'm just not gonna engage this mess further lol

Elios83

Waiting for Q4 to release this game seems a such a bad business decision, the game is already a total trainwreck...waiting on it instead of grabbing potentially interested people asap is weird....
I've not read all the thread but is it possible that NOA really picked up the publishing and localization duties just recently after fans complained that they were passing on such a gem thinking they knew better (lol)?
That would explain why they need a few months to localize it and can't release it before fall.

jmizzal

Waiting for Q4 to release this game seems a such a bad business decision, the game is already a total trainwreck...waiting on it instead of grabbing potentially interested people asap is weird....
I've not read all the thread but is it possible that NOA really picked up the publishing and localization duties just recently after fans complained that they were passing on such a gem thinking they knew better (lol)?
That would explain why they need a few months to localize it and can't release it before fall.

They game is done and localized, we have no clue why NOA is sitting on it

Amir0x

Banned
umm, with all this projection, it seems like something other than video games is wrong here, so I'm just not gonna engage this mess further lol

You don't need to engage, but please don't invent fabricated bullshit like "projection" (what am I projecting exactly? It doesn't even make sense in the context of what I said) to justify you bowing out. You don't want to engage because you don't want to debate the points or you don't actually have an argument. It's OK to admit in either case, I'm not your patsy for your inability to defend your nonsense position.

Amir0x

Banned
That is crazy....if they think this is gonna sell more during the holiday period than as a summer release...

i mean really this game is going to sell two copies either way and maybe they think it's best to bury it during a time no one will ever notice it came out.

or maybe they think they're lacking holiday titles so like throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks is preferable as they work frantically to get NX out

Shauni

Lol could've sworn Emily Rodgers tweeted out saying Xseed was gonna publish in NA

But now her Twitter is private.

I asked earlier, but no one really responded, but who is this Emily Rodgers? I was under the impression she was just a blogger who posted news and speculated on it, but people seem to be acting as if she's someone with actual insider information. Not trying to take a dig at her at all, I'm legitmately asking here, because I honestly don't think I'd even heard her name until she started posting stuff in relation to Devil's Third, and some seem to take her word as gospel or something.

I'm still not sure if I believe the XSeed thing was ever real.

You don't need to engage, but please don't invent fabricated bullshit like "projection" (what am I projecting exactly? It doesn't even make sense in the context of what I said) to justify you bowing out. You don't want to engage because you don't want to debate the points or you don't actually have an argument. It's OK to admit in either case, I'm not your patsy for your inability to defend your nonsense position.

Argument? You mean the one you want to have. And right, I'm not engaging because A) you seem like a mixture of nuts, angry, and not too bright; and B) because it's your word vs. mine on a game we both haven't played and only have some previews to cite. How hard is that to figure out? I've already acknowledged there are bad previews. I pointed out that there's a good one worth considering as well. You're putting shitloads of words in my mouth and seem to be losing your shit about things you've invented in your head-- i.e. projecting something, who knows what.

Thanks for bringing the weird to the thread, bud. Keep debating video games like we're in the goddamned united nations, it makes the board entertaining.

but if you need to feel like a man today, then here you go: you win the thing. you typed a longer, angrier post. congrats.

Now the question is, will console and PC version have shared multiplayer? I mean if PC version has mouse support, then..

I have doubts about that mouse support as there was none available in the "conversion process."

1. On the PS2/PS3 menu, click "Save as..."
2. On the modules screen, select "Campaign" and "Online Multiplayer" and then click "Next"
3. On the target platform, select "Wii U" and click "Next"
4. On the "Are you sure you want to proceed" warning, click "Ignore"
5. On the specify publisher tab, type in "Nintendo of America"
6. Click "Done"

For the PC version, do the same but indicate "Online Multiplayer" only and specify "XSeed" as publisher.

Shauni

I asked earlier, but no one really responded, but who is this Emily Rodgers? I was under the impression she was just a blogger who posted news and speculated on it, but people seem to be acting as if she's someone with actual insider information. Not trying to take a dig at her at all, I'm legitmately asking here, because I honestly don't think I'd even heard her name until she started posting stuff in relation to Devil's Third, and some seem to take her word as gospel or something.

I'm still not sure if I believe the XSeed thing was ever real.

Nobody, huh? Well, okay then.

FZZ

Banned

Well she was never really taken too seriously until she posted her article on Iwata that criticized him and how he was running Nintendo, this was mid-2013 iirc. A bunch of people on GAF and even Michael Pachter endorsed the article and as a result she became taken more seriously.

Before that I would've put her on the same level as Paul Gale the infamous man who said Retro was working on a Star Fox x Metroid game. I have never been a fan of Emily Rodgers mainly because I feel as though her "sources" are simply low level employees at Nintendo or indie companies in close relation to Nintendo. Her articles also lack in depth looks at why a certain situation may be occurring. For instance in her Iwata article she only expanded on what he was doing "wrong" and never went into details of how the structure of the company is and how Iwata even at that time was attempting to shift the power from the older executives to younger ones in order to make Nintendo more progressive than it initially had been. It almost seemed as if she went on a Wikipedia page and found and compiled sources from there of Iwata's quotes from various points in time and then added some commentary about how he only said these things when the company was failing when in reality she was failing to understand the content of what Iwata was trying to say, he wasn't blindly saying "please understand we will change," he was saying there are efforts being made to change the structure of the company. And for some reason people expected some sort of immediate change as if it is easy to take the consolidated power from old executives away from them.

Anyways I am going way off tangent for an article I haven't read in almost 2 years. My main point is that the article focused on "Please understand" and almost never expanded on what Iwata was saying right after or before.

Edit: This is the thread and article that started having people take her opinion on matters much more seriously.

jholmes

OT but with all due respect to FZZpure any discussion about Emily Rogers's "credibility" needs to have this stapled to it.

She's a fan who has been privy to some quasi-interesting info, usually only very shortly before it goes public, and that's what she acts like: a fan.

PtM

Banned
Well she was never really taken too seriously until she posted her article on Iwata that criticized him and how he was running Nintendo, this was mid-2013 iirc. A bunch of people on GAF and even Michael Pachter endorsed the article and as a result she became taken more seriously.
Why is her twitter restricted? I hope not because of particularly one of her articles. Oh well, jholmes seems to have answered it. Thanks, jeffers.

Amir0x

Banned
Argument? You mean the one you want to have. And right, I'm not engaging because A) you seem like a mixture of nuts, angry, and not too bright;

Just to illustrate how easily it is to tell you're the one with the actual problem and that any pretense of it being "me" is actually farcical to even suggest:

I have yet to insult you, instead calling merely your arguments nonsense and writing in extensive detail why. Here, you have insulted me multiple times (nuts, "not too bright") insinuating complete vomitous garbage from your ass with no basis in my post at all. When people bullshit about why they don't want to debate a point by trying to foist the reason why on the other party, and then when told don't use me as an excuse for your inability to debate you rely on insults to justify your behavior... it says it all.

Now I know you're just incapable of defending your points because your points have zero value in reality.

and B) because it's your word vs. mine on a game we both haven't played and only have some previews to cite. How hard is that to figure out? I've already acknowledged there are bad previews. I pointed out that there's a good one worth considering as well. You're putting shitloads of words in my mouth and seem to be losing your shit about things you've invented in your head-- i.e. projecting something, who knows what.

Care to point out some word I put into your mouth? The whole point of your post that started this discussion was to scold someone for jumping to conclusions about a game, while simultaneously implying the reason Nintendolife was now being quiet on Devil's third was because it may actually be good now (otherwise there is no reason to have ever said: "Notice how a ton of outlets have the game right now but aren't saying very much? And nintendolife hopped immediately on the negativity bandwagon, but is now flip-flopping?" b-b-but words in your mouth I know). You also keep underplaying the reality. No, there aren't just "bad previews" - virtually every final preview of Devil's Third has eviscerated the product. You're misrepresenting just how dire the proclamations have been about the game from essentially every corner of the game's press.

There is no better reason to jump to a conclusion about a product then the situation Devil's Third is in right now.

Thanks for bringing the weird to the thread, bud. Keep debating video games like we're in the goddamned united nations, it makes the board entertaining.

but if you need to feel like a man today, then here you go: you win the thing. you typed a longer, angrier post. congrats.

Nobody is buying your attempt to try to deflect blame. If you don't want your points vigorously dissected, there are other forums you can go to where everyone frolics in rainbows, fairy dust and unicorns and there's no one to rain on any parades. But if you're the type who perceives a pointed deconstruction of your own arguments to be so personal that you proceed to insult people and blame them for the reason you bow out, then you're better off not wasting people's time. You make a point on this forum, you can sometimes expect major pushback. This was one of those times.

Stop blaming other people for your failures. You don't want to debate, that's OK. That's all you had to say "you know, I'm not really invested enough in this to want to put in the time to respond to a post that long and detailed" and everyone would have moved on. Instead you crossed multiple lines by insulting a user, trying to blame them for the reason you want to bow out, and making up nonsense about their posts (projection, angry, nuts, not bright). All your assertions have been false of course, since I am not remotely angry, and I am clearly bright enough to simply attack your points and not the individual making them.

So if you want to talk "projection", let's talk someone trying to call someone ELSE angry whilst simultaneously flinging shit at that person and making up fabrications about the tone of their posts.

Anyway, I'm in a good mood now, I was in a good mood when I first responded to you yesterday. So if you don't want to debate that's cool but take responsibility for the actual reason you don't want to do it. Nobody is buying any of your other shit with no foundation in reality.

Top Bottom