• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

GavinUK86

People with audio issues, are you on Steam Offline mode?

If so, I'd try to disable VPN, start steam in Online mode and let it "reset". Do a cache check, then restart steam using your VPN and let it do its magic.

That's effectively what happened to me after my VPN borked out, and I have voices.

Oh.

Trying that now.

I used the F-Secure Freedome and it worked. Did you change the pw and restarted steam after connecting to the VPN?

Yes. I tried Tunnel bear which did in fact change my ip address to Japan, and looking at their local time it's already may 5th. I changed my password and stopped Steam before logging in. Very strange.

Truant

I also uninstalled / unchecked the pre-order bonuses. Probably not the cause of the issue, but might be worth trying as a potential quick fix.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member

If so, I'd try to disable VPN, start steam in Online mode and let it "reset". Do a cache check, then restart steam using your VPN and let it do its magic.

That's effectively what happened to me after my VPN borked out, and I have voices.

Nope, I'm having audio issues and I'm just living in Australia, no VPN required.

Carlius

Banned
After unpacking a game on steam with their primitive system I always verify integrity afterwards. Try that to see if it loads the audio files.

Ok, steam started acting weird and redownloading the game with 17.4GB out 17.4GB. High CPU usage too. WTF is going on? lol I guess the VPN was too much.

Truant

Ok, steam started acting weird and redownloading the game with 17.4GB out 17.4GB. High CPU usage too. WTF is going on? lol I guess the VPN was too much.

That's Steam using your processor to decrypt the files, probably. It happened to me too, and I just restarted Steam without my VPN and let it finish up before I decrypted again with VPN.

I suspect this might be why I have voices, and others not.

Rizzi

Verifying the cache did nothing and the same with going in to offline mode, but I'm Australian so I wasn't using a VPN or whatever.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
After unpacking a game on steam with their primitive system I always verify integrity afterwards. Try that to see if it loads the audio files.

I've verified integrity and it did nothing. I even also deleted the specific english audio files which it failed to load according to the log, and redownloaded those, and still nothing.

That being said, the files it fails to load, English_anim.pak and English_xml.pak are only 19.6mb and 900kb respectively, so I doubt the audio is all in there...

I honestly believe they have forgotten to put the audio in somehow.

$36 deal is still up on CD Keys, waiting to see if people get this voice stuff figured out and if the performance stays good I'll probably get it.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
Can anyone who does have audio working please check 2 things in the game files?

1) What size is the game overall

2) What Files are in Prey/Localization folder, and what sizes are they?

Here's what's in my folder with no in-game audio working for reference

W5HhCVa.png

And the total size of the game is 17.5gb

Sevenfold

^Interesting

j5P3rU9.jpg

18.2GB

I've verified integrity and it did nothing. I even also deleted the specific english audio files which it failed to load according to the log, and redownloaded those, and still nothing.

That being said, the files it fails to load, English_anim.pak and English_xml.pak are only 19.6mb and 900kb respectively, so I doubt the audio is all in there...

I honestly believe they have forgotten to put the audio in somehow.

For the mechanic just outside the apartment?

Paragon

Update: It appears to be the latest NVIDIA driver (382.05) which is causing the stuttering. Rolling back to 381.89 removes nearly all of it.

Reducing texture quality to medium almost eliminates the stuttering.

It's absolutely nothing like the terrible stuttering in Dishonored 2 which was constant and very intrusive. (and did not show up in frame-time graphs)
Dishonored 2's stuttering issues were more like frame-pacing problems, while this is a single drop - presumably as it's loading in assets or something.

This shouldn't be happening on my system though: the game is installed on a Samsung Evo 960 NVME SSD.
Rest of the spec is an R7-1700X running at 3.9GHz, 16GB RAM at 3600MT/s, GTX 1070 Strix OC.

What overlay is that with the frame time graph?

It's an option in the latest RTSS beta. (may also require the latest MSI Afterburner beta)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BTW, if anyone wants to try out some user.cfg stuff I would be greatful. Perhaps it could help with aliasing and such.

Try this. Make a "user.cfg" file and drop it in the game root directory (so next to system.cfg in the Steam/Prey folder. It should be on the same stem/tree level as the Bin64 folder).

In that user.cfg have the following:
Code:
con_Restricted = 0
r_DeferredShadingFilterGBuffer = 1
r_AntialiasingMode = 3
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffHiFreq = 6.0
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffLowFreq = 2.0
r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 6

And then make sure the in game setting for antialising is SMAA2Tx before you make this config. I wonder if these will work like in other CE games.

ISee

Did that. The game is now downloading a 700mb 'patch'. Let's hope those are the missing sound files.

Freedome isn't the fastest, but I won't complain. It's free.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Language depots were added to the remaining subs a few minutes ago. Those without dialogue audio should see a "patch" any minute now.

Mifec

Reducing texture quality to medium almost eliminates the stuttering.

It's absolutely nothing like the terrible stuttering in Dishonored 2 which was constant and very intrusive. (and did not show up in frame-time graphs)
Dishonored 2's stuttering issues were more like frame-pacing problems, while this is a single drop - presumably as it's loading in assets or something.

This shouldn't be happening on my system though: the game is installed on a Samsung Evo 960 NVME SSD.
Rest of the spec is an R7-1700X running at 3.9GHz, 16GB RAM at 3600MT/s, GTX 1070 Strix OC.

It's an option in the latest RTSS beta. (may also require the latest MSI Afterburner beta)
I noticed none on a 3570k @4.6hz, gtx 1080 also on a 960 SSD.

GavinUK86

Let's be honest though, it's better to have a file missing that can just be added than all of us complaining how shitty the performance is lol.

edit: Oh yeah, apart from Mifec (oops)

SomTervo

Let's be honest though, it's better to have a file missing that can just be added than all of us complaining how shitty the performance is lol.

V true, notwithstanding the weird lighting issues Mifec (and one other) was having with certain post-proc effects on

Top Bottom