• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars has sold more than 1 million copies in its first month

Purest 78

Haha -- and I was expecting a reply like this when I made my post (due to how things have been on these forums lately).

The PS4 didn't have a sim racer before Project Cars was released. Not sure why me pointing out that it helped the sales of the game on the PS4 is funny.

There won't be any Multiplat game that sales better on X1 Do to worldwide install base. It's really that simple Nothing more nothing less.

Bgamer90

Banned
So install base has nothing to do with it?

I said it did in my first post in this thread (reply).

There won't be any Multiplat game that sales better on X1 Do to worldwide install base. It's really that simple Nothing more nothing less.

Alight? I never anything that goes against that. I simply said that the PS4 not having many racers also helped with Project Cars sales on the system.

Man -- console wars are taking over.

Chobel

Haha -- and I was expecting a reply like this when I made my post (due to how things have been on these forums lately).

The PS4 didn't have a sim racer before Project Cars was released. Not sure why me pointing out that it helped the sales of the game on the PS4 is funny.

Because it doesn't work like that. When platform holder invest in some genre it usually causes the sales 3rd party in the same genre to increase. See Nintendo with platformers and MS with FPS.

Saty

Not sure if i should read 'players' as copies directly sold or total number of people who have played it (including second-hand, borrowing, same copy played by number of accounts etc.).

hawk2025

The arguments in this thread are silly because they can be made either way.

- Should sell more on PS4 since there is no GT yet.
- Should sell more on Xbox since people that like games like this already bought the platform for Forza.

We have no idea if these games are complements or substitutes. Y'all are posturing to confirm your biases.

Leko04

Banned
He did start his sentence with "That and" meaning it's "install base and other reasons". It's not like he failed to acknowledge install base as a factor.

That other factor is bit of nonsense. Biggest factors propably are install base and Europe. If anything, forza should make XB1 sim fan base stronger. It is not like XB1 is swimming in sim racers. lol.

Icefire1424

Admittedly a bit surprised, but glad it reached that milestone. Although the game has some problems, it is still a great game, and an awesome racing experience. Was a risk for the developers, glad to see that risk is being rewarded.

Soi-Fong

As a Full Member backer, I'm looking forward to my $10 cut. lol

Edit: My Paypal is ready! Good investment. hahah

timlot

Banned
Nice SMS. I already have Forza 5, ForzaH2, and NFS Rival sitting on my harddrive. Can't justify another race at full price. Will check it out when the price drops.

Aeqvitas

Loving that excuse. XB1 already having one sim racer should mean that XB1 has stronger sim fan base already. .

I have an XB1. I have Forza. After looking at reviews, I didn't find any compelling reason to get Project Cars. It doesn't do anything that much different or better. It has less cars and less that I am interested in. And with F6 around the corner, it's not long to wait for a new game that I will enjoy more and has better performance on my platform. I doubt I am the only Forza owner who feels this way.

There is no reason why XB1 already having a sim racer means the people who own that will buy every other sim racer that comes out. The two are competing products for roughly the same niche. It absolutely makes sense that owners on the platform with more racers would be less thirsty for a new one . We have seen in the past that XB1 platform can have more sales on multiplat games despite a smaller base(e.g. BF hardline). So you can't just say that is the sole reason.

Purest 78

Alight? I never anything that goes against that. I simply said that the PS4 not having many racers also helped with Project Cars sales on the system.

Console war? So the Witcher 3 split was do to lack of Rpg's on ps4?

hawk2025

I have an XB1. I have Forza. After looking at reviews, I didn't find any compelling reason to get Project Cars. It doesn't do anything that much different or better. It has less cars and less that I am interested in. And with F6 around the corner, it's not long to wait for a new game that I will enjoy more and has better performance on my platform. I doubt I am the only Forza owner who feels this way.

There is no reason why XB1 already having a sim racer means the people who own that will buy every other sim racer that comes out. The two are competing products for roughly the same niche. It absolutely makes sense that owners on the platform with more racers would be less thirsty for a new one . We have seen in the past that XB1 platform can have more sales on multiplat games despite a smaller base(e.g. BF hardline). So you can't just say that is the sole reason.

Seeing as the Xbox One has more First person shooters than the PS4, you literally just made the opposite point you wanted to make by mentioning Hardline.

GHG

Ah, fair enough, didn't read your other post. Ignore me.

PC has the largest install base by a huge margin, so install base alone isn't a good indication of how well something will sell.

True. But I also doubt that there are a huge number of PC's out there that can run this game well at high/max settings.

FGMPR

Banned
Ah, fair enough, didn't read your other post. Ignore me.

True. But I also doubt that there are a huge number of PC's out there that can run this game well at high/max settings.

There would probably be plenty if they hadn't screwed up performance on AMD cards...

Bgamer90

Banned
Because it doesn't work like that. When platform holder invest in some genre it usually causes the sales 3rd party in the same genre to increase. See Nintendo with platformers and MS with FPS.

Some differences there in my opinion. Doesn't factor in popularity of genres as well as the time of release of the games being talked about.

Kysen

Seems the Assetto devs caught on quickly, economics always wins out. The real money comes from the console crowd. PCars success shows that there is a sizable group of gamers who don't mind the PC inspired customization(car + visual) but prefer to play on console.

Also it isn't surprising the PS4 has taken the lions share, Europe (car fanatics) plus the install base difference made sure of that.

I'm thinking the lower XboxOne vs PS4 sales are due to XboxOne's lower console install base, plus the fact that many XboxOne racing game enthusiasts already have a sim racer.
Xbox One had a Forza5 bundle, so many folks already got a "free" copy of Forza5.
Not to mention, if you don't already have Forza5, you can get it much cheaper than the $60 cost for Project CARS. Amazon current new price for Forza5 is $36, while a used copy of Forza5 at Walmart is $26.

Leko04

Banned

Maybe you should check your facts before you type nonsense (America is not same as world and I'm not sure if BF:H has more sales for XB1 ver. in USA than PS4 ver. ). I wrote about racing sim fan base. You not caring means very little. And it is all moot as install base and Europe are propably way bigger factors.

GHG

You clearly didn't do enough research or are choosing to ignore the facts in front of you.

Car count and car upgrades are not the only things that matter in a racing game.

It irks me when people say FM being on the XB1 effects PCars sales considering they are two very different games in terms of what they offer. It's like saying if Mario kart was multiplatform it wouldn't sell on the PS4 or XB1 due to Driveclub and Horizon respectively.

Either that, or many XB1 owners are 1st party franchise fanboys and are choosing to be ignorant about what some of the other games in their favourite genres offer.

Does Halo existing on the XB1 prevent BF4 and COD selling?

There would probably be plenty if they hadn't screwed up performance on AMD cards...

You can blame AMD for that one.

Kysen

I'm thinking the lower XboxOne vs PS4 sales are due to XboxOne's lower console install base, plus the fact that many XboxOne racing game enthusiasts already have a sim racer.
Xbox One had a Forza5 bundle, so many folks already got a "free" copy of Forza5.
Not to mention, if you don't already have Forza5, you can get it much cheaper than the $60 cost for Project CARS. Amazon current new price for Forza5 is $36, while a used copy of Forza5 at Walmart is $26.

Doesn't F5 have less tracks, no weather/time of day and smaller grids? (i don't own the game)

I'm kinda surprised how much PS4 is dominating sales here. I expected it over the Xbox but its sold like 4x as much as the PC version as well. I realize that mutli-plats more often than not sell more on console but I kind of thought this would be a PC heavy franchise.

Great success though for them, 1 million sales already is impressive.

Chobel

Some differences there in my opinion. Doesn't factor in popularity of genres as well as the time of release of the games being talked about.

Popularity: Both Forza and GT sells millions of copies, especially GT. So sim racing genre is not niche.

Release date: Forza 5 was long time ago, Forza 6 at least 4 months after PCars. So enough breath room for Pcars.

Kysen

Yes, but it also runs at 1080p and a rock solid 60fps. The Xbox One version of PCars performs horribly.

I'll concede the performance point but surely a few dips isn't worth losing all that extra stuff. I guess F6 has huge boots to fill.

How much has GT6 sold life to date, didn't it sell dramatically lower than this on release?

Doesn't F5 have less tracks, no weather/time of day and smaller grids?

Not taking into account each game's bullet points.
Just saying from a non-racing enthusiasts perspective, they are both regarded by most gamers as racing "sims".
While arcade driving games can be very different, sims are kinda the same in many ways.

Bgamer90

Banned
Console war? So the Witcher 3 split was do to lack of Rpg's on ps4?

Not sure what the Witcher has to do with what I said (especially since it's part of a genre that I would say is in a better state than sim racing).

I feel that the popularity of a genre plays a role in the number of users who would be willing to buy multiple games of that genre. If Gran Turismo was already on the PS4 then I think the hype of Project Cars on the PS4 would have been lower. Hence why I think comparing games of different genres is a bit flawed here. That's all.

Popularity: Both Forza and GT sells millions of copies, especially GT. So sim racing genre is not niche.

The sim racing genre definitely isn't as popular as it used to be. Forza 5 did well mainly due to it being a launch title but I would say that the Forza series was never greatly popular (at least here in America).

Release date: Forza 5 was long time ago, Forza 6 at least 4 months after PCars. So enough breath room for Pcars.

Breathing room wasn't really my point. It was simply games of a certain genre releasing before or after games of the same genre + the console's userbase growing over time.

Lego Boss

Not bad for a jankfest.

I like this game and I support the developer and all, but it should never have seen a release in its current (even recently patched) state.

It will get better, but for now, crashing to dashboard, invisible cars, vehicles dropping through the track and horrendous sound just aren't acceptable espeically on XBOXONE.

hawk2025

Not sure what the Witcher has to do with what I said (especially since it's part of a genre that I would say is in a better state than sim racing).

I feel that the popularity of a genre plays a role in the number of users who would be willing to buy multiple games of that genre. If Gran Turismo was already on the PS4 then I think the hype of Project Cars on the PS4 would have been lower. Hence why I think comparing games of different genres is a bit flawed here. That's all.

But by this logic, releasing Forza 6 this year is a bad idea.

mcbradle

Neo Member
If I hadn't bought a ton of stuff already and wasn't expecting Batman in two weeks, I would so pick this up. This and Witcher 3 are both on my "buy immediately" list.

I have always wondered if the popularity of the Forza franchise has cannibalised sales of other racing games on the Xbox, there does seem to be a large group that toe the line of if it isn't done like Forza it isn't any good. The Xbox 360 had some of the best racing franchises yet nearly all of the died out and Forza profited.

I will also be a person who will buy a copy of PC but they need to sort the controller settings out as I'm not buying a wheel again, burnt one too many times.

A game released 18 months ago in the genre is having effects on sales of a brand new game?

latest

Man COD and even battlefront are FUCKED this year, Halo 5 will eat their lunch, no sales for them, if 18 months still affects sales imagine what 1 months will do!

then again i guess the Xbox players are all playing these amazing games that microsoft have released exclusively for them in 2015..that must be it... oh wait...

Hmm, why the low PC sales? Couldn't be just the fact there's a lot of sim racing competition.
Let's see...quick check of my favorite torrent site - yup tons of Project CARS links.
The largest was pulled down not long ago, owner copyright request.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

So Forza 6 probably won't sell well either, since X1 users either have Forza 5, or can get it for cheap.

Saty

Some posters here love to pounce on any opportunity to 'shame' the PC platform.

1. SMS has commented that PC ver sales are higher than they were expecting.
2. Steamspy's figures are estimations. Very good ones but they are still estimations that can be off for some titles. It's been known to be off by 50K in one example.
3. Still unsure if the figure is total direct sales or total number of accounts who logged in to their servers and played the game.

So Forza 6 probably won't sell well either, since X1 users either have Forza 5, or can get it for cheap.

Didn't say Forza6 won't sell well. But it could possibly sell less copies than Forza5.
I would bet the game will have less momentum initially, compared to Forza5 sales.
And sure, sales of new and used Forza5 copies will have an impact on Forza6 sales, for sure.
I'm sure MS will open up the wallet for Forza6 marketing when that game is ready to roll out.
I don't recall myself seeing any XboxOne Project CARS commercials.

Top Bottom