• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars has sold more than 1 million copies in its first month

Chobel

Not sure what the Witcher has to do with what I said (especially since it's part of a genre that I would say is in a better state than sim racing).

I feel that the popularity of a genre plays a role in the number of users who would be willing to buy multiple games of that genre. If Gran Turismo was already on the PS4 then I think the hype of Project Cars on the PS4 would have been lower. Hence why I think comparing games of different genres is a bit flawed here. That's all.
What does popularity have to do with people willing to play multiple games in the same genre? If someone like a genre they usually don't care about how many other people are playing the same genre*, and they just buy many games in that genre.

*Assumption is there's enough online population for online games.

The sim racing genre definitely isn't as popular as it used to be. Forza 5 did well mainly due to it being a launch title but I would say that the Forza series was never greatly popular (at least here in America).

Yes, sim racing is not popular in NA, but it's very popular in Europe.

Breathing room wasn't really my point. It was simply games of a certain genre releasing before or after games of the same genre + the console's userbase growing over time.

You lost me here, what do you mean?

Purest 78

Not sure what the Witcher has to do with what I said (especially since it's part of a genre that I would say is in a better state than sim racing).

I feel that the popularity of a genre plays a role in the number of users who would be willing to buy multiple games of that genre. If Gran Turismo was already on the PS4 then I think the hype of Project Cars on the PS4 would have been lower. Hence why I think comparing games of different genres is a bit flawed here. That's all.

1st I'm to old and have owned to many consoles and played to many games to care about a console war. So it's insulting to me when it's the 1st thing people go to. Secondly The split for majority of mutiplat games have favored Ps4 heavily, so I just don't agree with your narrative.

Three

Haha -- and I was expecting a reply like this when I made my post (due to how things have been on these forums lately).

Both are "right excuses". Some people are satisfied with the racing fix they are getting from Forza. Not sure why that fact is so controversial.

due to how things have been on these forums? How exactly have they been lately?

It's controversial because it's a poor excuse. Does Halo stop COD from selling? Or Destiny? Does Infamous stop Saints row? GTA? It's a poor excuse. I even saw this excuse for Mortal Kombat X and KI. Even though a lot of PS4 users got Injustice free with PS+. It's simply a poor excuse for lower XB1 sales. The install base would make much more sense especially for a racer which sell better in Europe .

Chobel

And let's not forget the wrong assumption that the people who buys Pcars in XB1 are subset of the people who bought Forza 5.

Kinthalis

Banned
This. And some people still believe that the PC platform is the industry's savior.

The fuck is this bullshit?

Are you really judging an entire platform on the performance of one game?

Xcom sold way better on pc and the sequel is now a pc exclusive, guess consoles are dead.

Some people are just dumb.

Project Cars would not have been possible without PC and all its various beta builds eventually leading to full console release. Let's keep our cool here folks.

I am not trying to diminish the importance of PC in the game's development. Far from it. But considering how well it performs on PC compared to its console counterparts one would expect (especially from users owning multiple systems) that they would support the PC version but that does not seem to be the case. Regardless, congrats to the development team, this can only be good news!

Momentary

Banned
PC gamers, like always, are waiting for that first sale. If they discount this game during the summer/winter sale, I expect it to definitely over shadow the XB1 numbers. There are a ton of people who have the game sitting on their wishlist and most PC gamers absolutely refuse to pay full price on a game.

hawk2025

Are you really judging an entire playform on the performance of one game?

Xcom sold way better on pc and the sequel is now a pc exclusive, guess consoles are dead.

Not going to lie, I was basically refreshing the thread waiting for you to show up after I read that comment :p

Are you really judging an entire playform on the performance of one game?

As a franchise, Xcom has always been associated with PC. This is a new IP though. I am pretty sure Fallout 4 will sell extremely well on PC for that reason.

Stacey

Banned
It's a reminder why consoles are so important to the industry.

With those PC numbers it's a wonder they released on PC at all considering they'd probably sell more on Wii u.

From a kick starter point of view sure its nice but as a money maker was it really worth it?

Ionic

With those PC numbers it's a wonder they released on PC at all considering they'd probably sell more on Wii u.

From a kick starter point of view its fine, but as a money maker was it really y worth it?

crVgESF.gif

Let's not get too crazy here.

I thought the PC version would be a lot higher. I honestly was not expecting the game to sell over 1 million units, so congrats to Project Cars :)

I thought the PC version would be a lot higher. I honestly was not expecting the game to sell over 1 million units, so congrats to Project Cars :)

It probably has to do with increased competition on PC and if I recall correctly there were issues some of the more hardcore Sim racing communities had with the game.

DieH@rd

Banned
As a Full Member backer, I'm looking forward to my $10 cut. lol

Edit: My Paypal is ready! Good investment. hahah

If I remember correctly, if the game sells 1 million copies near launch, backers will get their investment back. Could be wrong though [probably I am].

/my paypal is also ready :D

v1ncelis

Congrats on SMS. Great game well worth the price. Still I hope they will add more cars free/through dlc and I'm should be good untill 2016 when AC and (I hope so) GT7 will be released.

_machine

If I remember correctly, if the game sells 1 million copies near launch, backers will get their investment back. Could be wrong though [probably I am].

/my paypal is also ready :D
With 1 million it should go well into profit, but of course we'll have to see exact amount once the money actually starts hitting bank accounts.

The PC number is pretty respectable, but naturally most multiplatform games pull more sales on consoles during the launch. As for the individual split, let's not forget that the games has been at the top of the lists in UK, Germany and France which all lean heavily towards PS4.

Lol at people judging PC sales because of PCars

For perspective Skyrim's best selling version is thr PC copy at over 8 million units

Gestault

It puzzles me that people would think that.

A lot of people miss or understate the sales performance a smaller but more active market can have, even compared to a larger base (that isn't as engaged). All it takes though is a dev/publisher being in tune with enough people to tailor things to what they'd want.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It puzzles me that people would think that.

I've seen something like over 300 million unique users on Steam brought up before. How is it puzzling to assume it would perform best there as opposed to two consoles that probably don't amount to 40 million units?

Gestault

I've seen something like over 300 million unique users on Steam brought up before. How is it puzzling to assume it would perform best there as opposed to two consoles that probably don't amount to 40 million units?

A lot of examples to the contrary for release window sales performance? At least in terms of mainstream-friendly titles like this.

When will people realize the PC market is not the same as console

Is there some overlap? Yes. But the majority market does not.

Kinthalis

Banned

Install base doesn't necessariyl correlate with sales for any individual game.

The new consoles (50+ million install base), for example, are outselling the old consoles (180+ million install base) on most games.

There are a lot of various variables here.

And if anyone was able to accurately predict them, well, that person would be rich.

Also, PC games, with a few exceptions tend to have loooong sales lives, where as console games, again with a few exceptions, mostly don't.

In 6 months, sales for Project Cars on consoles will be pretty much non existent, outside the secondhand market. MEanwhile on PC, the game will still be selling, and will still be providing money to the developer (unlike second hand console sales).

Pranay

PC market audience are generally more into moba, rts, wrpg and strategy.

There is a market for Sims in console due to Forza/GT popularity and hence it succeeds there.

Reg

Banned

Are you really judging an entire platform on the performance of one game?

There's no need to be so upset about it.

Fox Mulder

I'm glad it sold well. It's got a ton of issues, but they were quick to fix controls that were fucked at launch. Love the huge grids, tracks, night/day, and rain. The career mode is shallow and will push me back to f1, but this is still fun. The genre is already looking great this gen.

This. And some people still believe that the PC platform is the industry's savior.

it's funny seeing PC sim snobs cry about pcars or assetto corsa going to consoles. It widens the audience for more money and a better overall product. Plus some of the wheels they use were designed officially for gran turismo or forza. But then the game wouldnt be made on consoles without the work done in beta by the pc community. We need each other.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
All this without Logitech wheels working on ps4

I for one can assure you guys I have not bought the ps4 version because of that.

Durante

First of all, that number is way off. It's closer to 100 million users.

Secondly, while you are right that Steam has a lot more users than any single console, it also has
  • a lot more games, and thus competition (in sim racing too, as it turns out)
  • sales curves which are generally far less front-loaded
  • more price-sensitive customers

I don't want to get into the PC vs console sales pissing match. I'm just happy this game is doing well.

Should we add all the original bakers to people who bought the game on PC though?
We should also add all the butchers and candlestick makers.

timlot

Banned
Note to devs: priorities PS4 version since most customers will be there.

How would they prioritize PS4 in a multifplatform that also went to pc? 250K XB1 sells "so far" is still $15 million in sales. So they should deprioritize that because it has a smaller install base. Its all about the money at the end of the day.

How much has GT6 sold life to date, didn't it sell dramatically lower than this on release?

The only GT6 number released by Sony is the 2.5 million downloads of the Aston Martin VGT update, Aug 2014

I will get Project Cars on PS4 when they add G27 support next month... Ian Bell did say wait for the good news didn't he or have I been lied to?

bj00rn_

Banned

With the amount of hardcore racing simulators without expiry dates and slow building momentum mod-scenes on the PC platform it's hardly surprising that a game like Project Cars isn't as frontloaded on PC as on the consoles (which are far removed from that).

wow im honestly kind of shocked by those console numbers! don't get me wrong I am a console person but wow.

I bet we see something similar next week with ESO.

chadskin

I will get Project Cars on PS4 when they add G27 support next month... Ian Bell did say wait for the good news didn't he or have I been lied to?

A Logitech G29 announcement for PS4 is imminent so I guess we'll hear more about that wheel
and, I believe, GT7 or a GT7 Prologue because why release a GT-themed wheel without the accompanying game
at E3. Shouldn't be too hard to also implement support for the G25 and G27 then.

Game Guru

Yes, sim racing is not popular in NA, but it's very popular in Europe.

This is the complete reason why Project Cars is selling vastly better on PS4 than XB1. The majority of sim racing fans are going to be in Europe and in Europe, the PS4 is vastly outshining sales of the XB1.

LilJoka

In my eyes it kind of agrees that consolers generally will take graphics over gameplay, PCars is so broken, tons of bugs, totally unfinished, people saw the screenshots and jumped on the hype wagon.

Considering the majority of console players will be playing on Pad, and the game ships with no proper pad settings, i wonder how many people are actually playing the game on console anymore, how many casuals are going to go online and look at forums for some pad settings? Then tweak and tweak and tweak...

Tons of PC users already knew what it was going to be like (yes those leaked builds), graphics in a sim are not really the point, plus there is rFactor, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, GCSE etc on PC all competing. On console its Forza 5 currently and thats it really.

Its not surprising at all really.

xehanort

I have an XB1. I have Forza. After looking at reviews, I didn't find any compelling reason to get Project Cars. It doesn't do anything that much different or better. It has less cars and less that I am interested in. And with F6 around the corner, it's not long to wait for a new game that I will enjoy more and has better performance on my platform. I doubt I am the only Forza owner who feels this way.

There is no reason why XB1 already having a sim racer means the people who own that will buy every other sim racer that comes out. The two are competing products for roughly the same niche. It absolutely makes sense that owners on the platform with more racers would be less thirsty for a new one . We have seen in the past that XB1 platform can have more sales on multiplat games despite a smaller base(e.g. BF hardline). So you can't just say that is the sole reason.

Source?

Top Bottom