• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars has sold more than 1 million copies in its first month

I've seen something like over 300 million unique users on Steam brought up before. How is it puzzling to assume it would perform best there as opposed to two consoles that probably don't amount to 40 million units?

Not every platform is the same. We like fps, and strategy games and rpgs.
And survival games and mobas, in the last years.

Sim racers? Ehh.. it's more a big niche (but stll niche) genre. It's a bit like JRPGS, lots of big racing games like Gran Turismo or the Forza series has been always been only in consoles, so yeah the racing genre is bigger in consoles.

MS should really stop creating 1st party games, otherwise the 3rd party games will continue to suffer.

I hope this is a joke.

Because it doesn't work like that. When platform holder invest in some genre it usually causes the sales 3rd party in the same genre to increase. See Nintendo with platformers and MS with FPS.

Yes because Halo really hurt Call Of Duty and Battlefield sales on Xbox. I don't think Microsoft first party has much effect on 3rd party games at all.

Nice numbers.

Anyway, Xbox has Forza and Forza Horizon 2, two good racing games, which is more than what the PS4 can say, that tends to bring less sales for the system (also, obviously, less concoles sold). PS4 has one decent racing game (Driveclub). PC has how many racing games? Sim and whatnot? Project Cars isn't the next big or better thing for racing enthusiasts on PC, the game would never break records.

I think there was some general info about sales but we have the next best thing anyway

http://bfhstats.com

It's pretty clear BF:H sold more on PS4 too

Best numbers on PC, for sure. To think they called Battlefield to that fucking game.

jmga

This game was going to be the best driving simulator. It has ended being a semisim like Forza with poorly performance and ten times less content.

Assetto Corsa is by far a better sim, with better sales and without making so much noise.

Also, PC expected sales were around 225K copies. They will make it for sure. And they said that profit per unit was almost double on PC due to console royalties.

Fox Mulder

I have an XB1. I have Forza. After looking at reviews, I didn't find any compelling reason to get Project Cars. It doesn't do anything that much different or better. It has less cars and less that I am interested in. And with F6 around the corner, it's not long to wait for a new game that I will enjoy more and has better performance on my platform. I doubt I am the only Forza owner who feels this way.

There is no reason why XB1 already having a sim racer means the people who own that will buy every other sim racer that comes out. The two are competing products for roughly the same niche. It absolutely makes sense that owners on the platform with more racers would be less thirsty for a new one . We have seen in the past that XB1 platform can have more sales on multiplat games despite a smaller base(e.g. BF hardline). So you can't just say that is the sole reason.

i've played forza since the first one, but still think there's room for both. Pcars is a bit more of a sim and more race focused. Larger grids, more tracks, day/night, rain, and I even like the series structure in career over what forza does. I can actually do 100% races again instead of 2-3 laps of chaos.

I also find that people into racing games dont stick to just one. This is my favorite genre. I'm happy to jump from forza to horizon to f1 to pcars to mario kart or an old burnout game.

This game was going to be the best driving simulator. It has ended being a semisim like Forza with poorly performance and ten times less content.

You say it has ten times less content while this game has more tracks than forza has ever had.

thelastword

Banned
Lol at people judging PC sales because of PCars

For perspective Skyrim's best selling version is thr PC copy at over 8 million units
It's not only Project Cars though, mostly any multiplat you can think of, pc is almost always at the bottom of the barrel.

Btw, Skyrim sold over 20 million copies, pc sales next to consoles is not even close, As always, I'll link you up.

I suspect that you might be a PC gamer, so let me ask...I've heard that PC gamers had many options apart form Project Cars, hence the lower sales there. Could you tell me what other sim on PC is lighting up the charts? and how big is the disparity between that game and Project Cars.

Also, to the people saying the consoles sales are frontloaded. Do we really believe that PC sales will ever catch up to console sales? and do we believe that console sales will cease to exist from here on out?

I even heard someone mention steam sales will give the game legs....what legs, reference the skyrim stats, even then, how many people will still be playing project cars that far out anyway. Look at the BFH stats on PC against consoles just a couple of months after release, you think that stat will improve come 2016? You think a pc gamer buying BFH for $4 in a steam sale in late 2015 is going to matter to the bottom line of EA? or affect sales stats that much differently?

Around 250K XB1 owners:

PS4 holds the biggest share of players, and as they expected consoles are drawing in more players than on PC despite the more simulation focus. Still, they said at some point that PC is doing better than expected and I inferred that the ratio was better than for Shift/S2U.

EDIT:

Favorite racer last gen. I need to finish building my PC so I can buy this.

thelastword

Banned
Skyrim has sold over 57 million copies going off that breakdown. We know that the pc version has sold over 8 million copies, so yeah.
What are you talking about?

Total Skyrim units sold 23,270,000. Did you see the breakdown of PC vs consoles?

Kinthalis

Banned
What are you talking about?

Total Skyrim units sold 23,270,000. Did you see the breakdown of PC vs consoles?

Thats his point. We know skyrim sold over 8 million copies in pc so that data you posted is incorrect.

But keep on being salty oh noble console warrior!

Gr8one

In my eyes it kind of agrees that consolers generally will take graphics over gameplay, PCars is so broken, tons of bugs, totally unfinished, people saw the screenshots and jumped on the hype wagon.

Considering the majority of console players will be playing on Pad, and the game ships with no proper pad settings, i wonder how many people are actually playing the game on console anymore, how many casuals are going to go online and look at forums for some pad settings? Then tweak and tweak and tweak...

Tons of PC users already knew what it was going to be like (yes those leaked builds), graphics in a sim are not really the point, plus there is rFactor, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, GCSE etc on PC all competing. On console its Forza 5 currently and thats it really.

Its not surprising at all really.

Assetto Corsa is by far a better sim, with better sales and without making so much noise.

Also, PC expected sales were around 225K copies. They will make it for sure. And they said that profit per unit was almost double on PC due to console royalties.

These guys get it. PCars on PC was competing with a large number of racing sims on the platform. With its performance issue with AMD cards, lack of road feedback on racing wheels, and designers having issues deciding if it wanted to be a true racing sim or a console sim, it wasn't going to be the go to driving sim on the platform. For the hardcore pc racers there were better sim options available with more realistic driving and compared to your Forza's and GT's it had nowhere near enough cars and career options to satiate fans of those games.

Mascot

In my eyes it kind of agrees that consolers generally will take graphics over gameplay, PCars is so broken, tons of bugs, totally unfinished, people saw the screenshots and jumped on the hype wagon.

Yet, even in it's current form, it's still an absolutely superb motorsports game.

Cubed

Won't buy until the 2015 Mustang GT is put in. I want that car in a good racing game. Unfortunately, I only have a PS4, so no Forza for me, and NFS sucks.

Bgamer90

Banned
What does popularity have to do with people willing to play multiple games in the same genre? If someone like a genre they usually don't care about how many other people are playing the same genre*, and they just buy many games in that genre.

I would say that popularity of a certain genre helps in terms of games of that genre getting hype. As I said in one of my previous posts, shooters are a popular genre. Multiple shooters get a ton of hype and many console owners have multiple shooters in their library -- even if they aren't really "hardcore" shooting game fans (or gamers in general).

I would say that the sim racing genre on the other hand isn't at that level at all. If you have multiple sim racing games for your console then chances are you care far more about the sim racing genre than the average gamer.

Yes, sim racing is not popular in NA, but it's very popular in Europe.

And I'll admit that it definitely plays a role in what I said above (my reasoning).

You lost me here, what do you mean?

A game of a genre that isn't popular may still do well if it's a launch title. As I said before, Forza isn't really popular in America but Forza 5 did pretty well here (from what I remember) due to it being a launch title. I however wouldn't be surprised if Forza 6 doesn't do too much better than Forza 5 even with the Xbox One's userbase being larger now simply because people are already getting their racing game fix with other games on the system. The genre isn't on the same "I need that game!" level after the first year of a console's life like shooters, sports, and AAA open world games are here in America.

1st I'm to old and have owned to many consoles and played to many games to care about a console war. So it's insulting to me when it's the 1st thing people go to. Secondly The split for majority of mutiplat games have favored Ps4 heavily, so I just don't agree with your narrative.

My point has always included the PS4 having a larger userbase though so I don't know why you keep on saying that to me. I simply said that the PS4 also not having a sim racer before the release of Project Cars helped the sales of the game on the system too + Xbox One Project Cars sales would probably be higher if the system didn't have multiple racers already; Me saying that doesn't equal me saying that Xbox One sales of the game would be close to PS4 sales if Forza wasn't around though. I just said that I feel it's playing a role in the split.

It's controversial because it's a poor excuse. Does Halo stop COD from selling? Or Destiny? Does Infamous stop Saints row? GTA? It's a poor excuse.

Again, you are talking about games that come from genres that are far more popular than sim racing. All of the titles you mentioned got (or get) a lot of buzz before and after they release due to them being part of genres that are very popular. Sim racing isn't on that level -- especially in the territory that the Xbox One is actually doing well in.

It's simply a poor excuse for lower XB1 sales. The install base would make much more sense especially for a racer which sell better in Europe .

And I mentioned user base many times. Not sure why some of you are replying like I never said (or agreed) with that. Racing games are still very popular in Europe and the PS4 is doing much better than the XB1 in that territory. I simply also feel that the PS4 not many having racing games similar to Project Cars in its library yet helped with its sales too.

Saty

Btw, Skyrim sold over 20 million copies, pc sales next to consoles is not even close, As always, I'll link you up.
AS ALWAYS, THIS DATA IS FALSE AND ISN'T COMING FROM BETHESDA.

Jesus!! How many times do we need to tell you that? This is unofficial, made-up data. Stop posting false data. Stop passing off false data as reliable data. Stop basing arguments on false data.

I don't wanna do backseat modding, but this is a bannable offense in my book.

herod

Hehe I love the implications thrown about in sales threads. Some folks are real insecure about numbers that don't really affect their gaming experience in any significant fashion.

These guys get it. PCars on PC was competing with a large number of racing sims on the platform. With its performance issue with AMD cards, lack of road feedback on racing wheels, and designers having issues deciding if it wanted to be a true racing sim or a console sim, it wasn't going to be the go to driving sim on the platform. For the hardcore pc racers there were better sim options available with more realistic driving and compared to your Forza's and GT's it had nowhere near enough cars and career options to satiate fans of those games.

Yup, I agree with most of this as well.

I'm kinda surprised many people don't know just how competitive the PC racing sim scene is. There are many decent titles available and all of them have various pros and cons that make no one sim the definitive game for the market. It's definitely had an impact on sales of pCARS on PC as the community has more to compare it to, and due to this there is a large amount of people disappointed with the release state of the game, especially considering just how long this game was in development with backer access to builds.

Also the PC playerbase seem to be dropping this game pretty steadily. It currently averages around 3,500 peak users per day on Steam, which is less than half of what it was doing in release week. It's 2,000 more players per day than AC, but AC has had no major updates since March and is at least steady at 1500 peak users a day. PCARS is still continuing to fall little by little each day, so who knows where it bottoms out at. I wonder if the console versions are experiencing a similar problem but for the reasons you outlined instead.

AC on consoles will be interesting, as the marketing for it probably won't be anywhere near as big or prevalent as it was for pCARS, so it will be relying on word of mouth praise of the physics model to slowly build sales in a much more competitive market than pCARS launched in. It also needs many overhauls to be considered console-ready, so it's a big task for a small studio. Kunos must see some benefit to releasing console versions though, so hopefully it works out for them.

Conduit

Banned
That and the gaming libraries of both [some may not want Project Cars due to Forza(s)]. Seems like many PS4 gamers were craving a solid sim racer as the system didn't have one before the release of Project Cars.

I'm really happy about this news as someone who loves racing games.

Well, maybe PCARS will sell better on Xbone if SMS add some shooting mechanics.

Sijil

It's not only Project Cars though, mostly any multiplat you can think of, pc is almost always at the bottom of the barrel.

I suspect that you might be a PC gamer, so let me ask...I've heard that PC gamers had many options apart form Project Cars, hence the lower sales there. Could you tell me what other sim on PC is lighting up the charts? and how big is the disparity between that game and Project Cars.

Also, to the people saying the consoles sales are frontloaded. Do we really believe that PC sales will ever catch up to console sales? and do we believe that console sales will cease to exist from here on out?

I even heard someone mention steam sales will give the game legs....what legs, reference the skyrim stats, even then, how many people will still be playing project cars that far out anyway. Look at the BFH stats on PC against consoles just a couple of months after release, you think that stat will improve come 2016? You think a pc gamer buying BFH for $4 in a steam sale in late 2015 is going to matter to the bottom line of EA? or affect sales stats that much differently?

And? This is business not some charity, EA, 2K, Zenimax, even most of the Japanese publishers are releasing nearly all their games on PC, I don't care the sales disparity between the platform, bottom line is PC sells, it sells enough for all those mega publishers to keep supporting the platform after all these years with AAA title after AAA title, because they're making money off of it.

Arguably that 160K Project Cars sold on PC made more money per unit sold that on PS4 per unit sold, by a large margin. If the devs are happy who am I to argue otherwise.

And as for Skyrim, kind of bullshit ganging up two platforms figures (360 and PS3) against PC, 20 million sold worldwide and PC sold 8 million, that's 1/3 of total sales on 1 platform, kind of even then.

You mention BF Hardline, are PC Gamers compelled to support and buy a game they have no interest in? For reference here are the BF4 stats http://bf4stats.com/, PC is peaking second highest played platform, beating the X1. It's a matter of the game having appeal for PC Gamers and Hardline doesn't apparently.

v1oz

Did Assetto Corsa sell over a million? How much did do.

LilJoka

Yet, even in it's current form, it's still an absolutely superb motorsports game.

With a wheel I still think it's fun, but really I was hoping for Forza arriving on PC in the form of PCars. Sometimes I don't want to get the steering wheel out, just want to relax and drive with the pad - that's what I was hoping to do with PCars but it's not fun like this.

Dilly

Banned

It is a sim, not a semisim.

It is a sim, not a semisim.

When folks use "semisim" what they are saying is "you are all a bunch of pussys, I play REAL sims, I'm essentially a real life racing driver just hampered by being too fat to get into a racing car. But not only am I a real racing driver - albeit one that uses a PC - the cars I race are ACTUALLY HARDER TO DRIVE than the cars in real life. I am so elite. And I look down on your puny racing game that dares be fun or allows you to drive a car around a corner at 20mph without it sliding into an abyss from hell and bursting into flames." :)

Mascot

With a wheel I still think it's fun, but really I was hoping for Forza arriving on PC in the form of PCars. Sometimes I don't want to get the steering wheel out, just want to relax and drive with the pad - that's what I was hoping to do with PCars but it's not fun like this.

All fixed in the upcoming patch though, according to SMS.

I agree though - the game should have shipped in a much better state.

LilJoka

All fixed in the upcoming patch though, according to SMS.

I agree though - the game should have shipped in a much better state.

I will believe it when i see it, SMS have lost my trust a while back.

Heres how i see it, they show a changelog but do not release the patch, this means:
1. They are working on these issues, not all completed - No ETA
2. They have fixed all these issues, but want to fix others too - No ETA
3. Patch done, and need to bug test patch - No ETA

With option 1, you are trusting them to actually bugfix all those issues, personally thats a risky way to inform your customers, as some bugs maybe very deep.

With option 2, it doesnt make sense, the bugs are bad, and a patch should be released ASAP, so if they have something done, they should release it.

Option 3, possible, but again, how long? When some fixes create new bugs, and the sheer number of bugs they are dealing with, this could take a while....

There are bugs that wipe your savegame! Im even more surprised more people havent complained. Other games would have been demolished by the community in this state.

Top Bottom