• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesting the Inauguration of Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rioting is obviously not a good thing, but it is predictable if social conditions are such that people are seriously discontented. Either you accept that the conditions you want will engender protests and riots, or change the conditions. You don't get to accept have it both ways.

So what is your solution to this issue right now?

Organised and targeted violent campaigns?

Do you feel that the other side will be vindicated in doing so should the tide turn again?

I was correcting a false conception of violence and it's use in history.

I didn't promote or suggest violence or make a statement about what should be done.

Be careful as well with your false dichotomy that violence is always the same when used even if the underlying reasons behind it are different.

sphagnum

Banned
What a strange turn of the discussion in this thread.

Protests = Good
Violent Protests = Not Good

Is this not in agreement here?

Violence is not inherently bad if it is used for just purposes, just like being peaceful is not inherently good if it leads to evil results.

I am not clicking my tongue at being disgusted by him, I am saying that violence isn't the answer.

How do you know what the answer is? You sure haven't provided any.

You just want people to sit still and be quiet because violent protest upsets your personal worldview that doesn't jive with history.

You want to pretend to have the moral high ground but you have no deep insight as to how to fix systemic problems that plague this country, let ALONE when discussing the damage of Trump's rhetoric and presidency. And then on TOP of that, you're a fucking Brexiter, too?

I'd say you're unbelievable, but I'm used to listening to people like you. The same empty words and platitudes typically come from other people who don't have skin in the game.

Depends. You understand that, right? Sometimes violence is needed.

Do you believe that applies to all sides of the spectrum?

That if someone feels strongly enough about something or has anger, they should be encouraged to lash out?

Can we clarify who or what be targeted, and in what scenarios?

Edit: I probably came in a bit strong there, but I'm struggling to see where we can condone violence in respect to today's events - as disgusting as it is.

Raven117

Depends. You understand that, right? Sometimes violence is needed.

Absolutely. Sometimes yes, violence is needed.

We can debate what times require violent protests...(as some surely are). As this comes down to many factors.

I do think as a "General Rule" in Western countries, violent protests = not good.

Orayn

When I said "NeoGaf condones this" I don't mean individuals, I meant moderators. If I refer to the users, I usually specificy a rough quantity (e.g a few users, many users etc.).

I actually don't know if the mods condone my post or not, I could still catch a ban for advocating violence against Nazis. Admittedly, it was a bit of an outburst as well, and I'm not an expert in antifascist tactics and when/how exactly one should employ violence.

I'm just sick of the high-minded "violence is never ever ever the answer" rhetoric and I'm just not capable of believing or agreeing with it anymore. When I see a Nazis fuckhead like Spencer get bloodied, I cheer. These people don't believe in any kind of peace and civility, and trying to oppose them while holding the alleged moral high ground is only enabling them further.

Gutek

That if someone feels strongly enough about something or has anger, they should be encouraged to lash out?

Let's say your government starts mass incarceration without due process. Time for violent resistance.

Raven117

Violence is not inherently bad if it is used for just purposes, just like being peaceful is not inherently good if it leads to evil results.

See my post above. It can be conceived that a violent protest might be appropriate, but I think by and large in Western countries, it is not appropriate.

Let's say your government starts mass incarceration without due process. Time for violent resistance.

This is a good one.

rjinaz

"A snake in the grass" ok this is the point where I exit the thread as I can see where this is going.

See the problem is you aren't really offering any solutions that I can see. Your stance is, just be groovy to each other and it will work itself out. Meanwhile when you lose your insurance, are deported, get beat up by a group of racists because you are Brown, get told to leave because you are gay, you can take comfort in the idea that you were the bigger person in the end while the other side continues to make things even worse.

Republicans right now are actively for restricting the rights of people, they are anti humanitarian.

Valhelm

contribute something

Edit: I probably came in a bit strong there, but I'm struggling to see where we can condone violence in respect to today's events - as disgusting as it is.

Violence can be just for a just cause. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

I actually don't know if the mods condone my post or not, I could still catch a ban for advocating violence against Nazis. Admittedly, it was a bit of an outburst as well, and I'm not an expert in antifascist tactics and when/how exactly one should employ violence.

I'm just sick of the high-minded "violence is never ever ever the answer" rhetoric and I'm just not capable of believing or agreeing with it anymore. When I see a Nazis fuckhead like Spencer get bloodied, I cheer.

Right, and I totally understand that. Thanks for clarifying, it's appreciated. Can you understand where my response came from when some users in here call every trump supporter a fascist, though? I misunderstood your target/s when you said fascist.

I still don't feel strongly about individuals being hospitalised, but I understand your viewpoint better now.

Dalibor68

Banned
I wish someone could dig up that long post by some member (can't remember the name, I think he could have been german though) who was a former black bloc/anarchist member and gave a great rundown on things.

Those rioters, the ones that dress completely in black, hide their faces, throw rocks at police and burn down shops, are deplorable. Most of them probably aren't even interested / don't even have a main purpose of doing this other than "against the system" and fucking shit up. Most of those are not desperate minorities who found no other outlet but from what I've seen in the footage it seems to be mostly young whites which again points to anarchists. By defending them you are defending anarchist assholes that just want to destroy things which at the same time has the consequence of painting all the peaceful protestors in a negative light and drawing media attention away. Don't be misguided.

Eylos

Banned
Someone apparently punched out Richard Spencer at a protest.

https://twitter.com/sleavenworth/status/822583488167735297?p=v

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Animals rhetoric? We are human beings, we have brains, we are capable of engaging in debate and discussions and being empathic and kind to others, some of us less so than others but the point stands.

There are ways to deal with situations without resorting to violence, the difference between us and animals is we know when violence is appropriate, animals often resort to violence because they are acting upon instinct rather than thought.

That's my point, don't make it something it isn't.

Don't pretend that you're unaware of the history of the word.

WedgeX

Banned
I wish someone could dig up that long post by some member (can't remember the name, I think he could have been german though) who was a former black bloc/anarchist member and gave a great rundown on things.

Those rioters, the ones that dress completely in black, hide their faces, throw rocks at police and burn down shops, are deplorable. Most of them probably aren't even interested / don't even have a main purpose of doing this other than "against the system" and fucking shit up. Most of those are not desperate minorities who found no other outlet but from what I've seen in the footage it seems to be mostly young whites which again points to anarchists. By defending them you are defending anarchist assholes that just want to destroy things which at the same time has the consequence of painting all the peaceful protestors in a negative light and drawing media attention away. Don't be misguided.

Detailed quite heavily in the article from the DCist.

Infinite

What a strange turn of the discussion in this thread.

Protests = Good
Violent Protests = Not Good

Is this not in agreement here?

Nope. I don't believ violence is inherently bad. We live in a might is right world anyways. PIt's the only thing people seem to understand

rjinaz

I feel like most of those people would have voted for Trump though. Unless you are implying they are doing it just to make the other side look bad and because it's fun which that could be true

Lowmelody

If white people expressed even a 10th of the concern they show to objects getting destroyed as they do black people being murdered there wouldn't be riots.

rjinaz

Fucking lol, of course. We all know that a smashed window or a burning bin with get more media coverage than a peaceful march, unfortunately.

This is the truth and it's also unfortunately why people in this very thread advocate for violence. The cameras aren't there otherwise because nobody gives a shit. It's not news.

Violence can be just for a just cause. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Of course.

To be honest, I guess I'm just a bit shocked that we went so quickly from condemning the prospect of violence earlier, to a fairly long winded debate about it being justified - perhaps I've jumped in and out of here too much.

In the context of today, I don't think it's acceptable and I truly hope that there isn't any widescale trouble.

The greatest weapon (in my view) against this administration is a well organised opposition that doesn't end up being undermined by a minority of troublemakers.

I also hope (naively) that the media are sensible with that.

How do you know what the answer is? You sure haven't provided any.

You just want people to sit still and be quiet because violent protest upsets your personal worldview that doesn't jive with history.

And then on TOP of that, you're a fucking Brexiter, too?

Not knowing the answer isn't a reason to not engage in discussion, is it?

Plus he's admitted he fucked up when voting brexit. What more do you want on that front?

If white people expressed even a 10th of the concern they show to objects getting destroyed as they do black people being murdered there wouldn't be riots.

This is the bottom line, in a nutshell.

People LOVE whine about the destruction of private property or (heaven forbid) an innocent bystander getting hurt in a violent protest.

But nobody seems to have any real issue with the reason said protests, violent or otherwise, are happening to begin with. Hmm.

Why do you suppose that is?

This is the truth and it's also unfortunately why people in this very thread advocate for violence. The cameras aren't there otherwise because nobody gives a shit. It's not news.

Yeah I get that viewpoint a little better now. I don't know how you'd convince the media to not portray the vandalism and violence as entirely negative things as opposed to a desperate plea for change and to communicate displeasure, but I understand the reasoning. Thanks.

Animals rhetoric? We are human beings, we have brains, we are capable of engaging in debate and discussions and being empathic and kind to others, some of us less so than others but the point stands.

There are ways to deal with situations without resorting to violence, the difference between us and animals is we know when violence is appropriate, animals often resort to violence because they are acting upon instinct rather than thought.

That's my point, don't make it something it isn't.

you talking about using reason and logic is ironic considering you admit you got "tricked" into voting for Brexit even though you can use that supposed powerful human brain to figure out Brexit was nothing more than a xenophobic, racist bit of legislation. but keep thinking you're above it all. violence has and always will be one of the most effective tools for change whether for good or bad. and I as a minority in this country will not wait for the other side to stop thinking of me as nothing more than a rapist and murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom