• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

zMiiChy-

Banned
(lol) discounts don't come close to retail pricing ?
Going to have disagree hard with you there.
I've had Amazon Prime for over years, and I've saved way more money by going primarily digital than by shopping retail.

I don't shop at Best Buy, but nothing will get me purchase from Gamestop again.

Although to clarify, most of the time I don't have PLUS but still enjoy PSN discounts.
Even without plus, occasionally they will compare to Steam sales.

I honestly agree with everything else you said.
I feel sorry for Europeans here, but going PC is still an option
:)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Indeed. Seems a massive overreaction to a 25p a week rise in prices. And that's if you pay Sony direct. It's still likely to be cheaper if you buy subs elsewhere.

Mountains out of molehills.
hqdefault.jpg

Nev

Banned
Do you think Sony offers dedicated servers or something? It's just P2P networking, same as what Steam offers for free.

Incorrect. Steam offers much more for free. Cloud saves, workshop, dedicated servers for most of their first party, native PS4/Xbox controller support, etc.

Meanwhile Uncharted 4 is a laggy p2p mess.

PS+ is a literal scam and the people that give money to Sony for this bullshit paywall should feel bad and have their videogames fan ID revoked.

Malcolm9

Incorrect. Steam offers much more for free. Cloud saves, workshop, dedicated servers for most of their first party, native PS4/Xbox controller support, etc.

Meanwhile Uncharted 4 is a laggy p2p mess.

PS+ is a literal scam and the people that give money to Sony for this bullshit paywall should feel bad and have their videogames fan ID revoked.

Wellthereitis.gif

AlexBasch

I suppose Sony wanted a Plan B in case the Emoji movie failed or something.

Serioulsy though, I barely play the PS4, only keep it for exclusives and do the online stuff everywhere else.

Bad thing is that I bought Overwatch in there. Fuck.

First time I let my subscription lapse on PS+ in years. Rarely play multiplayer games anymore. Decision was easy to drop the service when game offering was lukewarm at best. Tired of Indie stuff.

Rien

Jelly Belly

For real? I have much things better to do then feel bad and be angry over a company that raise their prices for like 1 euro a month.

holygeesus

Banned
It is astonishing how many people still don't realize this.

I miss the reference clearly. Prices go up for everything else. Why would you presume Sony wouldn't do likewise for their subscription services? If 25p a week more makes it too expensive then unsubscribe. I fail to see why the matter of having to pay to play online comes up specifically for this price increase though - it should always be an issue to moan about, not just now that Sony have hiked the charges.

I miss the reference clearly. Prices go up for everything else. Why would you presume Sony wouldn't do likewise for their subscription services? If 25p a week more makes it too expensive then unsubscribe. I fail to see why the matter of having to pay to play online comes up specifically for this price increase though - it should always be an issue to moan about, not just now that Sony have hiked the charges.

The picture refers to the boiling frog parable:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

From the article:

The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of threats that arise gradually.

By locking online behind a paywall and gradually raising the prices Sony is getting it's customers accustomed to paying more for a service that a) should be free to begin with and b) does not offer anything more to justify the price hike.

holygeesus

Banned
The picture refers to the boiling frog parable:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

From the article:

By locking online behind a paywall and gradually raising the prices Sony is getting it's customers accustomed to paying more for a service that a) should be free to begin with and b) does not offer anything more to justify the price hike.

Yeah I saw the original pic earlier in the thread just now. No idea why the thermostat was cropped out, which is why I didn't get it.

Look, am I happy about price rises? No. Am I happy about having to pay for multiplayer? Nope. I'm just looking at this as a realist - if people took the stance to abandon Sony when they started charging for multiplayer initially, then fair play. Respect. However, if you have agreed to sign up to the service, knowing full well that you are being exploited by paying to unlock the full potential of the games you are paying for anyway, then to suddenly lose your shit when they hike the prices as they have elsewhere in the world? That I don't get.

Subscription services ALWAYS go up in price. Why would Sony be any different, especially when they have already done likewise elsewhere?

However, if you have agreed to sign up to the service, knowing full well that you are being exploited by paying to unlock the full potential of the games you are paying for anyway, then to suddenly lose your shit when they hike the prices as they have elsewhere in the world? That I don't get.

I think the price hike is just a chance for people to vent their frustration for paying for a service that they don't actually want. I imagine most of the complaints are from people who only pay for PS Plus because they have to in order to access online multi-player.

geordiemp

Hopefully Switch's online pricing scheme will help put a bit of pressure on Sony. I'll never be down with a company raising prices as they're earning more.

Hopefully Sony will learn nothing from Nintendo online (its almost insulting to call it an online service being behind 10 year old consoles), offering low cost for no functionality at all is a joke to anybody but Nintendo apologists.

Online X party chat, parties and the usual invites and ease of grouping up is an absolute minimum requirement for online play in 2017.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hopefully Sony will learn nothing from Nintendo online (its almost insulting to call it an online service being behind 10 year old consoles), offering low cost for no functionality at all is a joke to anybody but Nintendo apologists.

Online X party chat, parties and the usual invites and ease of grouping up is an absolute minimum requirement for online play in 2017.

Judging from the fact that Sony doesnt have refund system unlike Steam, Xbox and Oculus store, maybe its safe to say Sony isnt learning from anyone

blugbox

Neo Member
I let my PS+ expire for the first time in like a decade. Honestly I don't even miss it. I always hated the idea of paying for the same services that PC enjoys for free, but in the past, the discounts and free games made the pill way easier to swallow. Their service is a complete joke these days. IF they had introduced PS now as part of PS+ a long time ago, I might still be in... But even if they added it now, my money is happier with me in my wallet. I'm actually speaking with my wallet and committing and it feels very confusing for me. I shouldn't feel good about canceling my games service. Sony what are you doing to me?

Temujen

Neo Member

This analogy is 100% wrong here. It would be right, if Sony had slowly been raising the price by small amounts since the day PlayStation Plus started.

But they did the exact opposite - instead of raising the price slowly, they waited for years and then raised it by a large amount, most likely to ensure that they won't have to raise it again for the next few years.

So the situation is literally the perfect example of when NOT to use the frog in boiling water analogy.

This analogy is 100% wrong here. It would be right, if Sony had slowly been raising the price by small amounts since the day PlayStation Plus started.

But they did the exact opposite - instead of raising the price slowly, they waited for years and then raised it by a large amount, most likely to ensure that they won't have to raise it again for the next few years.

So the situation is literally the perfect example of when NOT to use the frog in boiling water analogy.

How is that "the exact opposite"

This analogy just mean they'll raise more and more. :")
I mean, the argument around has been "It's just 10 dollars a year ! Barely 1 dollars more per months. Just a few cents a day".

hohoXD123

Guess I'm not renewing then. Think the last time I played a PS+ game properly was Hell Divers, and I barely play online. Would have been good for Destiny 2 but I'll just get it on PC now, this just made that decision much easier.

This analogy is 100% wrong here.

Is it? Let's see:

- Free multi-player during the PS3 years.

- PS Plus is introduced. Not a requirement for multi-player, quite a few big games offered through the service.

- The PS4 is announced, PS Plus is now mandatory for online play.

- Very few big games offered through the service.

- The price of the service increased.

Within the span of a few years you went from free online multi-player and a cheaper optional service that offered good value to online multi-player behind a paywall and a more expensive service that offers less value. Doesn't the water feel hotter?

Temujen

Neo Member
How is that "the exact opposite"

The frog analogy would be correct here, if they had raised the price by 2% every six months. They chose to raise the price by 25% after seven years.

So they didn't chose the middle ground (like raising it every two or three years), they chose one of the two extremes. So they did the opposite of what could be represented by the frog analogy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
#4theplayers

2nd shitiest console service goes up in price. Like WHY.jpg

- No name changes
- Slow speeds
- Racist deals that only favour Americans

Fuck you Sony.

This is actually one of the most insane things I've read on a gaming forum. So congrats on that.

I'm not disputing the facts, just the use of the analogy. It doesn't fit here.

That's because you are only looking at the price. Looking at the big picture the PS4 owner is forced to pay more money for a lesser service and for something that used to be free.

Yeah I'm out. I've been paying for PS+ mostly unthinking since getting my PS4 but I rarely play games online on PS4 and the PS+ selection is absolutely dire most months. On top of that, PS+ is still a complete trainwreck when it comes to download speeds, and still doesn't let you change your name.

I'm gonna let it lapse and I'll get Destiny 2 on PC a month or so later.

MaKTaiL

There should be a Online Only option for PS+. A cheaper version without free games, discounts and online storage. Just let me play online goddamnit.

Temujen

Neo Member
Is it? Let's see:

- Free multi-player during the PS3 years.

- PS Plus is introduced. Not a requirement for multi-player, quite a few big games offered through the service.

- The PS4 is announced, PS Plus is now mandatory for online play.

- Very few big games offered through the service.

- The price of the service increased.

Within the span of a few years you went from free online multi-player and a cheaper optional service that offered good value to online multi-player behind a paywall and a more expensive service that offers less value. Doesn't the water feel hotter?

Well, your first three points are only one point, written three different ways. The last point is the one we are discussing.

So your points are:

- PS Plus mandatory for online play.
- Quality of PS Plus free games.
- Price increase.

It's not realistic for Sony to offer online play for free when Microsoft asks money for it. The quality of the free games is very subjective. If you look at a list, there have always been a lot of small games and only few big ones.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like the new price either. But tell me one thing that hasn't gotten more expensive in the last seven years.

Wamb0wneD

Well, your first three points are only one point, written three different ways. The last point is the one we are discussing.

So your points are:

- Price increase.

It's not realistic for Sony to offer online play for free when Microsoft asks money for it. The quality of the free games is very subjective. If you look at a list, there have always been a lot of small games and only few big ones.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like the new price either. But tell me one thing that hasn't gotten more expensive in the last seven years.

Uhm no?

zMiiChy-

Banned
There should be a Online Only option for PS+. A cheaper version without free games, discounts and online storage. Just let me play online goddamnit.
I think it's more likely they would scrap the service altogether.
It would be bad and look bad for them.

Less than 10% of current subscribers would actually pay for it, and it would only exasperate the scummy practice of console gamers being required to pay online nowadays.

Tregard

Soothsayer

So your points are:

- Price increase.

It was and they did for years, same as Nintendo and PC.

Temujen

Neo Member
Online PC Gaming is the same price today as it was when... well any time period

Thanks for bringing some perspective to this thread. :)

You're right. No matter how much Sony increases the price for PlayStation Plus, it will always be peanuts compared to the money you have to spend maintaining an even halfway decent gaming PC.

Tregard

Soothsayer

You're right. No matter how much Sony increases the price for PlayStation Plus, it will always be peanuts compared to the money you have to spend maintaining an even halfway decent gaming PC.

This cannot be a serious argument

MegaMelon

How is that relevant though? On the topic of online play, PC has generally been free and still is whilst on consoles we have to pay for it despite not really benefiting from it. It's not like that extra money microsoft/sony/nintendo has will be going to servers or security.

lyrick

I dont't know?
PS4 Nov 2013 - US$399.99, €399.99, £349.99 Launch Price
PS4 Pro Nov 2016 - US$399.99, €399.99, £349.99 Launch Price

and three and a half years of subscription costs for online paywalls and you're probably better off just going PC.

But really, why is it okay for Sony just to up the price? Four years ago we were paying absolutely nothing to play online w/ PlayStation consoles.

Novocaine

Oh god here we go.

Top Bottom