• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Plot twist. The day the price goes up there's an update and everyone gets Automatic Renewal activated without them knowing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Thread scared me for a min. Yea, US already got their price increase months ago.

Welcome to the party.

SighFight

Just last week I jumped on a Saturn deal in Germany selling the 1 year passes for 35€. Could buy a max of three and so I did. Wow!

I kinda expected them to raise price at some point. And then again I think it's been 50€ from the start in Germany. So it is 20% more but really over years and not one. Of course I'd like it to be cheaper.

Also, I think they put in better games this and the last month anticipating bad vibes from the price hike. Let's see where this goes.

I've been thinking when I would say stop. Maybe when it goes over 99 EUR per year? Should be a while.

Yeah. It's shit that it's gone up but I think it's already incredible value. I definitely save at least €5 a month in PS+ discounts do feels like it pays for itself.

I reckon I use my PS4 more than most though so can understand why people would be annoyed.

NewDust

Thread scared me for a min. Yea, US already got their price increase months ago.

Welcome to the party.
NA got its price hike last summer. This is EU and Australia regions getting "caught up" heh

Yeah... No. US price has always been low until they changed it to $60. €60 is the equivalent of $70, so we are back to overpaying.

Unless SCEA decides NA needs to catch up again.

NewDust

You get 3 to 4 free games a month, cloud storage and game discounts of usually 5-10% more during sales...how is that not worth it?

Some people (read: most) are not interested in most "free games" on offer, cloud saves shouldn't be behind a paywall, extra discounts, also behind a paywall, only offer value if you are into digital or indie... Most people simply NEED it to play online,why can PC play online for free and consoles can't?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You get 3 to 4 free games a month, cloud storage and game discounts of usually 5-10% more during sales...how is that not worth it?

It's very possible the month-to-month selection rarely offers something of interest, he doesn't care about cloud storage and prefers physical over digital. PS+ can be a poor value proposition if what it offers isn't actually valuable to the user. I myself have been subscribed since March 2015, but the only games I've bothered to download are LBP3, Tearaway Unfolded and Until Dawn (DriveClub PS+, too, but it doesn't really count as I was with a mate who wanted to play a racing game and it was all I had), my PS4 is secondary to my PC and so the cloud save feature isn't of much concern, and the last PSN title I bought was, I think, Joe Danger all the way back in 2010.

Yeah... No. US price has always been low until they changed it to $60. €60 is the equivalent of $70, so we are back to overpaying.

Unless SCEA decides NA needs to catch up again.
EU includes tax. Which is somewhere around 20% for most European countries.

Smasher89

Some retail games are made with 60% or more buildt for playing online, and are also full priced games, what does that full price cover if not servers and development?

GrayFoxPL

zaeXsWk.gif

It's very possible the month-to-month selection rarely offers something of interest, he doesn't care about cloud storage and prefers physical over digital. PS+ can be a poor value proposition if what it offers isn't actually valuable to the user. I myself have been subscribed since March 2015, but the only games I've bothered to download are LBP3, Tearaway Unfolded and Until Dawn (DriveClub PS+, too, but it doesn't really count as I was with a mate who wanted to play a racing game and it was all I had), my PS4 is secondary to my PC and so the cloud save feature isn't of much concern, and the last PSN title I bought was, I think, Joe Danger all the way back in 2010.

The user I quoted mentioned it wasnt worth 40 a year and regardless of what you use of the service, that statement is very wrong. The last 3 months of free games were life is strange, until dawn and just cause.

If you go to a store and buy those new, it totals about the year of plus and thats not including mulitplayer, cloud saves and member discounts.

Is it a bit expensive, yes but there is defintely value there if you choose to use it.

JaseC

The user I quoted mentioned it wasnt worth 40 a year and regardless of what you use of the service, that statement is very wrong. The last 3 months of free games were life is strange, until dawn and just cause.

If you go to a store and buy those new, it totals about the year of plus and thats not including mulitplayer, cloud saves and member discounts.

Is it a bit expensive, yes but there is defintely value there if you choose to use it.

If I own the included games on my primary platform or they otherwise don't interest me, I'm not going to deduct them from what subscribing to the service has cost me when determining whether the subscription has been worthwhile. Like, I own Life is Strange and Just Cause 3 on Steam and therefore have no need for other versions, so them being included in PS+ is completely irrelevant to me.

If you yourself look at PS+ through the lens of total worth of the games you've redeemed divided by the total cost of the subscription and feel the service has been overwhelmingly valuable, then that's fine, but not everybody is going to share that perspective.

I don't really have any ill will towards PS+ now that the free games are nearly on par with the PS3 days.

Really enjoying Until Dawn right now.

If I own the included games on my primary platform or they otherwise don't interest me, I'm not going to deduct them from what subscribing to the service has cost me when determining whether the subscription has been worthwhile. Like, I own Life is Strange and Just Cause 3 on Steam and therefore have no need for other versions, so them being included in PS+ is completely irrelevant to me.

If you yourself look at PS+ through the lens of total worth of the games you've redeemed divided by the total cost of the subscription and feel the service has been overwhelmingly valuable, then that's fine, but not everybody is going to share that perspective.
If free games, multiplayer, cloud saves, and member discounts are not worth it for you then why sign up? What could they add to make it worth your time?

JaseC

If free games, multiplayer, cloud saves, and member discounts are not worth it for you then why sign up? What could they add to make it worth your time?

I agree that someone whose circumstances may greatly reduce their perceived value of the service should think twice about signing up. That aligns with my point -- that the degree to which subscribing is considered worthwhile is going to differ user to user based on what value they themselves see in the content they've been granted access to.

PS+ isn't objectively a poor value proposition and I'd like to think I've made it clear I'm simply approaching the topic from a neutral angle. It just can be a tough sell or a conduit for buyer's remorse, particularly for those whose primarily platform is something outside of the PlayStation family. I'm sure my experience would be more positive if my PS3 hadn't kicked the bucket, for instance.

ddikxela

Aarrgh. This sucks.

Does anyone know if their is a list of the PS+ prices anywhere on the web?

I dont want to buy an overpriced subscription just to play GT Sport.

DrFurbs

The games of you think about it, even one or two that I haven't bought after actually worth in price far more than what ps+ charges.

For instance the games I got in return this year far out weighs the price, even if I don't really own them. I guess it is all about perceived value.

RulkezX

Because the PS+ games are mostly shit and the (lol) discounts don't come close to retail pricing ?

Given there hasn't been any real improvement to the actual online services , I'd imagine most people would happily drop plus without a second thought if they offered free online play again.

Caayn

Something isn't free if you need to pay for it. Sony is the only company that charges for cloud saves, while having the worst implementation Imo. Those extra sale discounts would exist if PS+ didn't exist, see this thread for example: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1395033
I am upset no one is noticing my amazing joke.
Oh wow, sorry mate. It took me a while to realize the joke. (now I feel stupid...)
Misleading and inaccurate thread title. Prices aren't 'rising', they are 'changing'.
A price can change by rising. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'd call an increase in price a rise.

Rad-

I might buy one more 12 months sub before the price increase and then stop subbing next year. Have been utterly disappointed by PSN speeds this gen and now they are rising the prices? Ugh.

Lucifon

PSN as a service still feels stuck in the last generation for me. Cloud saves locked behind a pay wall. Limited cloud save storage. Slow download speeds. Noticably low bitrate audio codec for party chat etc.

Sony haven't done anything to convince me that they're improving the service since day 1. I wish they would, but I feel like this price hike won't change anything.

I'll keep an eye out for cheap subs before 31st August but I'm not sure I'll resub for a tenner more.

Some people (read: most) are not interested in most "free games" on offer, cloud saves shouldn't be behind a paywall, extra discounts, also behind a paywall, only offer value if you are into digital or indie... Most people simply NEED it to play online,why can PC play online for free and consoles can't?

Yup, this is why I've let mine expire since the price hike. It's such a farce paying for online access especially when 9 times out of 10 the damn connections are peer to peer hosted anyways, our own Internet is already footing the friggen bill.

I'm cringing so damn hard at Nintendo's online pay plans too, especially when I have 4 family members that play things together, it's just a gross cash grab and we've all accepted it as fine.

RoyalFool

Banned
I really hate the lack of tiers in their subscription model, I JUST want to play online. I don't want cloud saves, I don't want to be in on their double fine subscription service (aka plus games on the month) and I don't care about double discounts and exclusive static themes

So I now need to pay £50 just so I can play with friends on occasion? What a shitshow.

Top Bottom