• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

I really hate the lack of tiers in their subscription model, I JUST want to play online. I don't want cloud saves, I don't want to be in on their double fine subscription service (aka plus games on the month) and I don't care about double discounts and exclusive static themes

So I now need to pay £50 just so I can play with friends on occasion? What a shitshow.

Yeah, this should be a thing. I want the full subscription, but I know many who just want online and maybe cloud saves and there should be options for those.

The downside is that
1) i'll have to rebuy my beu on pc as well
2) the pc competitive community for arcsys games is nihil
3) the risk of facing a cheater is higher

But i cannot condone a mandatory subscription to pay online...
Ps+ games are bad usually, and when they are decent for me, they give stuff i already own (i buy what i want at launch, so unless is some indie that i didn't know existed, what Sony gives i own already )...
It's not a metter of being a cheapstake (i'm on the opposite side of that river..), it's principle :)
I would pay a peanut, say 10 yearly for the online service/infrastructure but that's that..

Happy to help Kojima out any way I can.

edit: Re the PS Now rumour: Surely that's something they should have announced along with the price increase? I can't believe it's a reaction to the negative feelings given how bloody obvious said reaction was.

alt27

Paying for PS+ is laughable in this day and age, glad I stopped paying for it years ago.

It's not really laughable at all, given that all the console companies charge now . I play online so it's a must but have gotten way over the value of the subscription for free games and discounts , so it's not bad value at all. For me anyway. Sure there could be a year where I get no games I want or already have or no discounts that suit me , so who knows .

Ludens

Banned
I don't get the reason why Sony bumped the price here (Italy) when PSNow is not even a thing here. And it won't be a thing because the low bandwith and expensive connections we have.

That's sad. , Nando's is awful . You must have liked a couple of the 50 free games or whatever they have given

Nando's is alright, would never kick them out of bed.

And I like to own my games. Having any tied to a subscription just... Gross.

And looking at the 2016, I already owned any of the ones I care about so naw.

Aranath

That's sad. , Nando's is awful . You must have liked a couple of the 50 free games or whatever they have given

As a South African, them's fightin' words.
:p

But seriously, the price increase kind of sucks and they really should offer tiered subscriptions. Once my year is up, I'll be evaluating whether I continue or not. I'm not playing any multiplayer right now and the free games generally end up being games I already have (normally on PC) or games I'm not interested in playing. I really don't understand why I have to pay for cloud saves. That's some bullshit.

But still, on a month-to-month basis, it's not thaaat much but all these monthly subscriptions I pay for are definitely starting to add up.

Nesther

Saw on twitter that Sony is planning on offering PS now services for the bump in price!

You can't just bump the subscription price in Europe and then go "oh some of you'll get a bit of PS now" even though many countries are still waiting for a release for years now. So I'm calling BS on the rumor.

alt27

Nando's is alright, would never kick them out of bed.

And I like to own my games. Having any tied to a subscription just... Gross.

And looking at the 2016, I already owned any of the ones I care about so naw.

Sure , it's down to the individual to whether you value for sure , depending on games , online etc .

As a South African, them's fightin' words.
:p

But seriously, the price increase kind of sucks and they really should offer tiered subscriptions. Once my year is up, I'll be evaluating whether I continue or not. I'm not playing any multiplayer right now and the free games generally end up being games I already have (normally on PC) or games I'm not interested in playing. I really don't understand why I have to pay for cloud saves. That's some bullshit.

But still, on a month-to-month basis, it's not thaaat much but all these monthly subscriptions I pay for are definitely starting to add up.

Nando's never done it for me , sorry!

No one likes price increases of course , and yeah if you have taken zero value from the free games or discounts , then no need . The rise in MP gaming and network increased costs lead to this increase . Will be plenty more increases in the future as well , inflation and all .

Hopefully they can offer some extra stuff for the price increase . Deleuisonal probably but who knows !

JehutyGR

I don't see PS+ getting PS now at least in Europe. Not while EU law about digital services is about to change and the content will be equal across all countries.

WeaseL-

Looks like 1 less packet of these a week for me
109915.jpg

Echoplx

I'm sure well aware of inflation etc , the usual excuses for increases , but a network doubling over a small space of time won't take additional costs ?

Please enlighten me oh knowledgable one .

Do you think Sony offers dedicated servers or something? It's just P2P networking, same as what Steam offers for free.

zoukka

Fuck that. PSN is slow for me even on Pro (no matter what connection I use) and sometimes just freezes. I only pay the ps+ for the online play, I have no time to play the free games.

I might just cancel my sub now :/

I just meant that Microsoft normalised the practice of paying for online. I mean it was a very different time back then, so I guess you have evaluate that period of console gaming in more detail. but once the genie is out the bottle it can't go back in.

I don't disagree but I think that it wasn't Microsoft that normalized the practice of paying for online. It was us. Companies will take advantage of any opportunity to nickel and dime us especially if they feel that they are in the lead. I am not a die-hard Microsoft or Sony fan so I don't expect them to act in a decent manner 'for the players' or show any form of restraint when it comes to monetization. These companies respond to one thing and one thing only: a consumer response that hurts their bottom line. The fact that online multiplayer on consoles is now behind a paywall is our fault. We didn't object loudly enough or effectively enough. More importantly, we voted with our wallets that it was ok to charge for online.

The genie is out of the bottle but there are still plenty of ways to at least try and put it back in. It won't happen as long as the audience doesn't care enough to do so or prefers to put the interests of a faceless corporation above his own or his fellow gamers'.

Midas

Fuck that. PSN is slow for me even on Pro (no matter what connection I use) and sometimes just freezes. I only pay the ps+ for the online play, I have no time to play the free games.

I might just cancel my sub now :/

If you don't want to play online, it seems dumb to keep the subscription going.

Caayn

Do you think Sony offers dedicated servers or something? It's just P2P networking, same as what Steam offers for free.
On top of that. Sony gets a cut for every transaction on PSN and every PlayStation (physical and digital) game sold. So the more consumers -> the more games and content is being sold -> the more licensing money Sony receives.

As far as I'm aware Valve runs mostly on the licensing fees it receives from selling games on Steam
and hats, lots and lots of hats

alt27

Do you think Sony offers dedicated servers or something? It's just P2P networking, same as what Steam offers for free.[/QUOTE

This is not the PC market . These are closed networks , can't compare to steam .

Do I like paying for online . No. Will I do it ? Yes because some of the games I want to play are online only . Have I taken value out of the service . Big Yes .

Different for many people I know .

Bluth54

I just meant that Microsoft normalised the practice of paying for online. I mean it was a very different time back then, so I guess you have evaluate that period of console gaming in more detail. but once the genie is out the bottle it can't go back in.

It too bad Steamboxes never took off, if Sony and Microsoft had serious competition with a console like box that had Steam's free online than they might be doing things differently.

Asd202

About those PS Now rumors it will probably be something like "get PS Now with a discount if you have PS+" or something.

Being optimistic about the increase, I wonder if they announce something at Gamescom in regards to adding anything (like perhaps PSNow). It would be good timing prior to the price increase a week before). Of course they could have announced something when they announced the price hike but I guess you have to give customers a suitable time frame in regards to that. The value would have to increase for me to commit the extra. If Sony can provide that, then that's fine. But if not, then it's a wait till a substantial sale or not subbing at all.

misterck

Still bs even if it includes ps now, I don't use the free games each month letalone streaming games, just keep all that and charge me less for online play and cloud saves only (Would happily pay £25 p/a for that).

A huge portion of the playerbase probably dont even have up/down speeds that meet the requirements to use psnow.

Malcolm9

If anyone is that bothered then don't buy Plus direct from Sony, plenty of places sell it for less if you shop around.

For what you get, even if you don't like some of the offerings, it's still far more value than what you pay. £50 a year is hardly breaking the bank anyway, I bet most piss that amount up a wall after a night on the beers each week.

tzare

We can't complain as customers when we validated this online paywall last generation with live.
Now it is mandatory on all platforms including Nintendo. Value is subjective so everyone will have an opinion here.
Have two years of plus from recent 35€offer so won't complain, and will probably buy another year code before the end of the month for 40, just like when last generation you could find cheaper xblive than its official price.

Jhn

If anyone is that bothered then don't buy Plus direct from Sony, plenty of places sell it for less if you shop around.

For what you get, even if you don't like some of the offerings, it's still far more value than what you pay. £50 a year is hardly breaking the bank anyway, I bet most piss that amount up a wall after a night on the beers each week.

How good value it is depends on if you were interested in the PS+ games and discounts in the first place.
I don't think it's fair to determine value by just adding up the costs and discounts of all offerings, like you would actually use all of them. The real worth of a service like this depends on how many parts of it you end up actually using.
Before, the service was only for PS+ games and discounts, hence all subscribers would be interested in those things. Now, we're all roped in if we want online functionality, regardless if we were interested in the service before.

If a new player with zero interest in the PS+ titles came to the console space from PC, expecting to be able to play their games online, they would not think paying that much for the mere privilege of connecting to the internet was good value. And they would have a point.

holygeesus

Banned
If a new player with zero interest in the PS+ titles came to the console space from PC, expecting to be able to play their games online, they would not think paying that much for the mere privilege of connecting to the internet was good value. And they would have a point.

They would likely think the same at the old prices too. Paying to play online has always been a bitter pill to swallow, but you either suck it up or you don't. If paying 25p a week extra is pushing you over the edge though, I wouldn't do your own shopping any time soon, as food fluctuates in price that much all the time. Welcome to the real world folks.

This is not the PC market . These are closed networks , can't compare to steam .

The only difference here is that if Steam started charging a fee to play online, every publisher would pull out of Steam very quickly.

EA: Come to Origin, play online for free!
Ubisoft: Come to Uplay, play online for free!
Activision: Come to Battle.net, play online for free!
Bethesda.net: Let's develop a matchmaking feature to Bethesda.net, then tell everyone to come and play for free!

Top Bottom