• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

Shit..
The service is currently NOT WORTH the cost...
And they go and increase it?
If only Sony hadn't online playing by the balls..
With out plus i cannot play my beu online, which is pathetic......

ah_hia

Why does Sony use the excuse of raising prices for better games on psplus? game prices for ps3 and 4 are mostly the same right. not that I pay full price for new games anyway.

a.wd

Xbox Live isn't free.

Those things are free on xbox I believe, but I gave up PS+ a while back so I am not sure if they are now part of the free tier as well.

I personally dont see value in the service, but if you do more power to you, I think between Gold and EA Access I pay probably £50 per year, and I see way more value in that than in just PS+ YMMV.

Zaru

Higher price for worse service, I guess that's what winning a generation looks like for Sony.
I'm set until 2019 but the free games aren't doing it anymore and I don't give a shit about multiplayer.
The sale discounts are nice but do they offset the fee?

Ydelnae

Also, why are you paying more if you buy a three-month subscription (25€) instead of three one-month subscription (8€, 24€ for three months)? Shouldn't the price for the longer subscription be lower so people at least have a reason to subscribe for a longer period of time? lol

Zushin

I think I'm done with PS+ once it lapses next. For me personally it's become increasingly superfluous as I don't play many MP games. Probably the extra discounts you get in sales has been the main thing for me. But nah get fucked.

oti

Banned
Also, why are you paying more if you buy a three-month subscription instead of three one-month subscription? Shouldn't the price for the longer subscription be lower so people at least have a reason to subscribe for a longer period of time? lol

Because some people are bad at math or don't care and Sony is taking advantage of them.

br3wnor

Doubt they lose many subs over this, less than $1 more a month, personally I make up most of my subscription through the extra money I save on PSN sales from ps+ pricing. It’s only online ga,ing subscription I have so it’s ultimstely worth it for me but I understand frustration if you don’t use online a ton or don’t buy slot of digital games via sales.

Jofamo

Also, why are you paying more if you buy a three-month subscription instead of three one-month subscription? Shouldn't the price for the longer subscription be lower so people at least have a reason to subscribe for a longer period of time? lol

You're not?

It's £19.99 for a 3 month subscription
And 3 x £6.99 for individual months = £20.97

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol looks like i won't be renewing then when my subscription ends in October. Most online games I play on PC now and that's all I really buy it for because it sure isn't for the "free" games which don't interest me.

Thank goodness Destiny 2 is coming to PC. I can ditch PS+ now.

theshortbaker

Neo Member
It's currently 3 PS4 games (with the 1 PlayLink title), 2 PS3 and 2 Vita, usually with at least 1 of the PS3 or Vita games being cross-buy too.
That'd be a downgrade.

Fair point, probably should have justified it with AAA PS4 games, and an indie, something along those lines though as it seems most subscribers are waiting for Knack, which I'm expecting to be a September game to coincide with Knack 2 release - heard it hear (possibly) first....

Kiter

Neo Member
5€ a month for such a abysmal service is ridiculous.
Guess my PS4 will be my Offlinestation for quiet a while.

It wouldn't be so bad if their online service/infrastructure improved in some significant ways due to this (BC/name changes/PS Classics), but you know it's not going to happen. They're just upping the prices because, well, they can!

Soar

A shame, they should increase their value preposition in turn then. Wonder if I should get another year in before the change for MHW. Have a PC but still prefer playing on the PS because friends.

dealer-

Doubt they lose many subs over this, less than $1 more a month, personally I make up most of my subscription through the extra money I save on PSN sales from ps+ pricing. It’s only online ga,ing subscription I have so it’s ultimstely worth it for me but I understand frustration if you don’t use online a ton or don’t buy slot of digital games via sales.

May as well bump it up to £60 then, it's only £2 more a month, maybe even £70.

Sony, you can price gouge even more with those dependent on your service.

Midas

Those things are free on xbox I believe, but I gave up PS+ a while back so I am not sure if they are now part of the free tier as well.

I personally dont see value in the service, but if you do more power to you, I think between Gold and EA Access I pay probably £50 per year, and I see way more value in that than in just PS+ YMMV.

Well, I only play online on my PS4 so it is what it is. I do not have a problem with the price, it's pocket change for me. But I understand that others might. But no need to go crazy though, I just wished there could be sane discussions... :)

LordKano

May as well bump it up to £60 then, it's only £2 more a month, maybe even £70.

Sony, you can price gouge even more with those dependent on your service.

Make it 100€ a year. It's only 27p a day, who doesn't have 27p to give ? Stop complaining people pls.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
maybe if they actually bother to improve their online and store services i will be convinced not to get rid of it. better monthly games and better discounts too. no junk crapware and low % on games no one cares about.

kmax

I hope there's a trade off because I don't see the value for having a subscripition with the price increase.

Unless the value for the service goes up, I will be ending my subscription come the end of August.

Xbox Live Gold has been €59.99 for like five years now, Sony is just now price matching it. It would be stupid to increase their price from that, considering the Xbox's position in the EU market.

It's still £39.99 in the UK though at the moment, so I expect they will match it at some point.

Baleoce

The links at the end of the email are useless. Check sub status links to the overall account page, which does not feature the current sub status anywhere.

I think I'm paid up until September 2019, hopefully they'll honor that.

Yeah this is what I found funny. The cancel auto renew link didn't even send me to that. Just logged me into my account.

NZ Prices - 1 Year - $89.95 will stay the same
3 Months $39.95 from $32.95
1 Month $12.95 from $11.95

3 months looks bad to make 1 year look good

Freeman76

Cdkeys have u covered. Get in quick tho its 33 quid atm.

Its funny how things have gone this gen.

Last gen I was all about the 360, I had a good spirit with some of the community mainly due to Trials track building, and then MS came out with that terrible E3 and DRM which really put me off them. At that time my PS3 was getting more use because plus was dropping some real gems every month and Sony worked hard. The Ps4 announce was killer and I decided to go Sony this gen.

Now the opposite is happening, and I can see MS working hard to correct their errors and Sony are just taking the piss out of their customers because of the position they are in.

Madchad

Odd question to ask after all these years being with PS+ but on your account does the expire date go day month year or the silly US way of month day year ?

On EU account 08/09/2017 ??

Shin

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if Xbox Live Gold goes up at some point too.

It's already at that price in Europe so it's not surprising to see Sony also cash in on that extra 10 euro per sub.
I'd say there's more of a cash grab on the other side with EA Access, Game Pass AND Gold Member, PS Now people don't care about so that just leaves PS+ from Sony's
stable.
Not that I'm trying to justify the price hike and if anything I'm in agreement that they should drop PS3 and Vita (jut Tweeted them about it in fact).

Xbox Gold Member:
Slime Rancher – $19.99
Trials Fusion – $19.99
Bayonetta – $19.99
Red Faction: Armageddon – $29.99

Total Value: $90

PlayStation+:
Just Cause 3 – $59.99
Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry – $14.99
That’s You – $19.99
Snakeball – $9.99
Super Motherload – $14.99
Level 22 – $6.99
Downwell – $4.99

Total Value: $132

Pingk

Neo Member
This is what happens when you have such a huge market advantage, you can charge what you want and most people will just suck it up.

Even if everyone on this thread cancels their subscription, they'll still be making more money overall.

danowat

Banned
Xbox Gold Member:
Slime Rancher – $19.99
Trials Fusion – $19.99
Bayonetta – $19.99
Red Faction: Armageddon – $29.99

Total Value: $90

PlayStation+:
Just Cause 3 – $59.99
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry – $14.99
That's You – $19.99
Snakeball – $9.99
Super Motherload – $14.99
Level 22 – $6.99
Downwell – $4.99

Total Value: $132

I'm sure that value drops when you factor out the PS3 and Vita titles, if you only own a PS4.

GwG titles are all available to play on XBO.

JezPSN

Neo Member
Also even if PSNow was available in every country why would they merge it with PS+ when the monthly price for PSNow is £13? That would mean giving us £156 worth of value (according to their pricing, not actual value) on top of online gaming, cloud saves and discounts for £50 a year?

I really hope they don't give us PSVR titles as that would be catering to a very niche audience

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
The poor PR people on the EU twitter accounts are getting hammered lol

Coxy100

Banned
I know deals come up regularly but I'm not paying £50 a year. My sub relapsed in march and I've no impetus to renew

Behlel

Capped download speeds, capped cloud saving data and frequent outages for the low price of 60 euros compared to the competition's price of absolutely free? Well sign me up for that! What a steal!

A literal steal. In the bad way. I'll continue to do all my online multiplayer on PC I guess.
Sorry but i download at 10MB/s with my ps4 and i barely reach 8MB/s on steam if I'm lucky enough to find a good server, with the italian server steam can't go better than 6.7MB/s.
The price increase is a steal but don't spread false information.

Don't believe 95% of the people who say they won't resub because of this lol.

I'm stuck with the PS4 for now, but I also got Plus till January 2020 for cheap so I'll manage. But I won't be buying a PS5 with so many games coming out on PC now.

My plan for a while has been to upgrade my PC GPU when Nvidia shows their new goodies and then use my Nvidia Shield TV to stream my PC games for couch gaming.

Madchad

Thinking about it now it might be better for me to drop PS+ all together and get PS Now instead. I hardly play online if ever JRPG and other single player games are where i spend 95% of my time.

Top Bottom