• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

Honestly. I don't get why there wasn't much complaints when this was done in the US. I feel like they gave us nothing but want 10€ more per year. Like what?

People complained but what can you do other than switch to PC (and hope your group wants to) or just pay the multiplayer fee? We knew they weren't upping the price to add higher quality games to the lineup.

Besides, I'd imagine the majority of GAF probably buys PS/XBL subs discounted. There's usually threads for the good deals and it's usually cheaper to buy 2 ebay subs than it is one year from Sony.

The australian annual price is now $79.95...

Luckily i had bought a couple of years worth when the Days of Play sale was on brought it down to $35 otherwise i would cancel right now and go monthly only when MP games come out.

For me PS+ is just not as good value as Gold. I am gaming more and more on my PC lately and i am finding it hard to justify two subscription online services. At least with gold i can make my xbox primary and the rest of the gamertags that are on that console get gold for free. Also for most of this year the xbox GWG has been much better value for me then PS+ (until dawn being the exception this month).

The thing that bugs me the most about this price increase is in the email sent there is no real justification for the rise. If it states in the email that it is to increase stability and efficency of online services with an increase in local servers or major works to improve PS online services as a whole then maybe people might bite. But this is just a money grab as it looks now.

Not Drake

Do you think they realise they're now charging more for a 3 month sub than 3x 1 month subs?

Ninja edit: in euros

LOL it's the same in Poland. 3 months costs 100PLN while a month goes for 33PLN. They got no idea what they're doing.

TannerDemoz

They need to step up the releases and make this PS3 era quality with more AAA titles and less obscure indie releases.

August (Europe) is a great example of PS done well. Perfectly timed too given this announcement...

madmackem

The australian annual price is now $79.95...

Luckily i had bought a couple of years worth when the Days of Play sale was on brought it down to $35 otherwise i would cancel right now and go monthly only when MP games come out.

For me PS+ is just not as good value as Gold. I am gaming more and more on my PC lately and i am finding it hard to justify two subscription online services. At least with gold i can make my xbox primary and the rest of the gamertags that are on that console get gold for free. Also for most of this year the xbox GWG has been much better value for me then PS+ (until dawn being the exception this month).

The thing that bugs me the most about this price increase is in the email sent there is no real justification for the rise. If it states in the email that it is to increase stability and efficency of online services with an increase in local servers or major works to improve PS online services as a whole then maybe people might bite. But this is just a money grab as it looks now.
You can plus share with gamer tags that are on your ps4 too FYI.

Ivan

Offtopic, but I'm glad to see so many gaffers preferring single player games.

Sony can fuck off with this. One AAA game each month is a must now.

August and Julys headliners were not indie titles.

If you want to ignore the previous 3-4 years, ok, selective memory is fine. That being said, perhaps this price rise and increase in bigger titles is linked - I hope that trend continues.. (The games, not the price hikes, lol)

Majora

This post. Do the right thing Sony. Fuck off with your shitty indies.

After seeing August's PS+ line-up, I'll happily say fuck off with your shitty retail games to be honest.

DLC for one of the most tired franchises in gaming and a technical mess of a third entry in a series? Give me a couple of decent indie games any day over that.

VLiberty

This post. Do the right thing Sony. Fuck off with your shitty indies.
the right thing would be getting more indies than ever, just to see those deliciuos salty tears of the anti-indie brigade.

no really, the actual right thing would be giving good, valuable games of both indie and aaa kinds. no more "broken game 3" or " dlc from a launch game" please.

:lol

I love when people overreact.

It's not an overreaction. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on PS plus because of the few occasions I've wanted to play a game online. I'm getting almost zero value out of this as is, and they have the nerve to up the price?

Why are we okay with how things are? We're getting fucked over.

I bet the number of PSN Plus subscribers will go down (if they are wise enough) so Sony would learn their lesson. We shouldn't accept such tyranny because they dominate the market, otheriwe other services on PS4 will follow if we gladly accept this, Video services, Music services and even PS NOW.
If Sony integrates PS NOW in the new more expensive PSN Plus subscription or offer more free AAA games per month, even PS2 Classics, then it would be a little more acceptable.

Jimmy_liv

wouldnt be so bad if their download speeds wasnt 3rd world!
But when they offer shitty service and then hike the price......

Zoon

It goes up instead of going down lol. Not buying a PS4 might be one of the best choices I've done recently.

UrbanRats

Lol.

But you know, whatever, you get sub codes from 3rd parties on sale all the time anyhow, you don't need to buy it from them (and you shouldn't).

I bet the number of PSN Plus subscribers will go down (if they are wise enough) so Sony would learn their lesson. We shouldn't accept such tyranny otehriwe otehr services on PS4 will follow if we gladly accept this, Vidoe services, Music services and even PS NOW.
If Sony integrates PS NOW in the new more expensive PSN Plus subscription or offer more free AAA games per month, ven PS2 Classics, then it would be a little mroe acceptable.

It will not go down with CoD, BF2 and Destiny 2 on the horizon...

Midas

It's not an overreaction. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on PS plus because of the few occasions I've wanted to play a game online. I'm getting almost zero value out of this as is, and they have the nerve to up the price?

It's an overreaction. Subscribe per month when you want to play online and cancel when you don't want to, if you don't like the games they offer.

Shameful.

You will NEVER get my money for playing games online on your system, Sony.

It goes up instead of going down lol. Not buying a PS4 might be one of the best choices I've done recently.

All of the good PS4 exclusives are single player though.

Floody

They better keep the quality up then, been very happy with Plus for the most part this year, that I ain't too bothered by this (helps that I'm covered for 2 more years though so won't affect me for awhile), but if they want more I expect more too.

Baleoce

woof, yeah I think this is straw that broke the camels back for me. I'm tired of building this faux-library of stuff I don't actually own with an active sub being the ransom note. And yet the message they're likely to receive from this (from a business perspective) is an increase in annual sub sales as people clamour to get the best price before the hike. There'll probably be no practical backlash, which is just sad.

Zemm

The service is pure trash and they're upping the price? Holding multiplayer hostage behind it is just laughable. Fuck Sony and fuck MS too, and soon fuck Nintendo.

Sucks balls, but we should have all seen it coming.

I'm paid up for the next 3 years already at less than £30 a year, so I'm good for the foreseeable, but I doubt I'll be renewing when the time comes. £40 was already overpriced for what we get, £50 is just taking the piss.

Midas

I bet the number of PSN Plus subscribers will go down (if they are wise enough) so Sony would learn their lesson. We shouldn't accept such tyranny because they dominate the market, otheriwe other services on PS4 will follow if we gladly accept this, Video services, Music services and even PS NOW.
If Sony integrates PS NOW in the new more expensive PSN Plus subscription or offer more free AAA games per month, even PS2 Classics, then it would be a little more acceptable.

You could start a hashtag to use on Twitter? #NoToPSN

jelly

Ouch. I guess if you can get it cheaper through other retailers it won't hurt but that may not last. When you have no other option, they can take advantage of their user base.

Nesther

If you want to ignore the previous 3-4 years, ok, selective memory is fine. That being said, perhaps this price rise and increase is bigger titles is linked - I hope that trend continues.. (The games, not the price hikes, lol)

And even before that we had Killing Floor 2 + Life is Strange for June and Tales from the Borderlands + Alienation for May.

So yeah, there might be trend towards "bigger" titles now. And I don't mind them headlining promising indies, that's how we got Rocket League.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, you're getting fucked over. There are plenty of people who play online every day. Just because you don't get much value out of it doesn't mean it's automatically bad value.

This price increase is a slap in the face but I still maintain that it's good value based purely on the available games each month. If you don't use, don't pay for it, you know.

Last time PS+ got a price hike, the following month's PS4 offerings were Resident Evil REMAKE and Transformers: Devastation.

Hopefully something cool will be offered in September.

Blobbers

thank you based Sony. Now for no good reason I can pay more for multiplayer I shouldn't have to pay for. And don't forget other great features like download speeds that are pretty much the same janky shit whether I have PSPlus or not.

And hey I'm not gonna defend the price hike, but I am gonna be a little dismissive of people who do have a problem with it and maybe even try to downplay it in threads. It's gonna be like a fun little forum game. Others should join!

Shin

Banned
Drop PS3 and Vita titles. Give us 2 movies, 4 PS4 games each month. kkthxbye.

Actually I am with you on this, PS3 was discontinued and should be removed from PSN, including it's legacy code and from PS+.
Vita they can keep in PS+ for Japan where it's still selling OK, but it should be removed for the west and offer better PS4 games.

I get that people are angry and there will be a lot of salt and to be honest $49,99/E49,99 was a good price, now it's evenly matched with XBOX price so there's that.

Kane1345

I'm sorry Sony but fuck off with that price. I just built a new ryzen PC and I'm not paying that much for plus, I will do all my MP gaming on PC for now.

Top Bottom