• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Price Rise

£50 a year is ridiculous.

£40 was bad enough, but you can always pick up cards on the cheap.

If I can't get a year for £30, then I can't imagine I'll remain a member of the service. I don't play online enough to justify it.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
- Worst online infrastructure of the industry
- terrible download speeds on 90% of the servers
- no improvements since they went "pay2play online"

definitely justifies a price increase ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) also the PS+ games are a joke
EDIT: I just canceled my auto-subscription

JezPSN

Neo Member
Struggling to think how they can justify this - I imagine Sony probably would give more AAA games if publishers were willing but since the subscriber base is so huge it can't be as easy to get them to agree as back in the PS3 days.

Like if I was Ubisoft why would I give away something like RS6: Siege knowing that once the PS+ money comes through I'd likely make very little money from that game ever again? Back on PS3 the AAA games were only being downloaded by a small minority of hardcore players who were subscribed.

If they can't give away more/better games then what other services can they really add to make the price increase justified? Those suggesting PSNow are not remembering that it is not available in all regions and likely can't be for licensing and/or bandwidth issues.

Acidote

I'm sure it will be justified with their advanced and refined infrastructure for PSN and the great games we have every month with PlayStation Plus.

Just_one

answer me this gaf...

is PS Now available worldwide by now?

They really should make a complete overhaul to Plus as they increase the price.

If PS Now is available :

PS Now subscrition inculded
3 PS4 Games
1 Vita game.

If PS Now is not available worldwide

3 PS4 Games
1 PS3 Game
1 Vita game

Blasphemy. :lol

Prices of services and products sometimes go up, that's how things work. Whether they can actually justify this increase or not, only time will tell (my guess is no).

You could start a hashtag to use on Twitter? #NoToPSN

I know some who don't have PSN stores in their countries so they made EU accounts and are forced to import EU PSN cards, but the cards cost 4 times their local currency. So imagine a 50€ card costing them 200 of their local currencies. Those whom I know only buy PSN cards to only fill their PSN Plus yearly subscriptions and they only rely on the free games their offer each month. Imagine now they have to buy twice the 50 € card to get another year. You can count how much they gonna spend.

Anyway, Sony never gave any reaosn for why this would happen in Europe too.

Nesther

answer me this gaf...

If PS Now is available :

3 PS4 Games
1 Vita game.

3 PS4 Games
1 PS3 Game
1 Vita game

No, and it likely never will.

If people are not happy with the increase they should unsubscribe. That's the best way to make you opinion matter.

Personally, I never subscribed in the first place and started playing on pc since the launch of PS4.

theshortbaker

Neo Member
Not too fussed with the price increase in Aus, I can still justify & feed my Rocket League obsession with this $10 AUD increase.

Although PSN has been pretty decent compared to the PS3 days, I do hope that these extra costs will be put toward PSN, Instant Game Collection, PS Now perhaps.... Just something to sweeten the deal.

xrnzaaas

Yep, got the e-mail for my Polish account. My subscription doesn't expire until the end of the February of next year so there should be plenty of good sales on PS+ keys until then.

FDC1

answer me this gaf...

If PS Now is available :

3 PS4 Games
1 Vita game.

3 PS4 Games
1 PS3 Game
1 Vita game

No, It's only available in 4 or 5 european countries by exemple

If people are not happy with the increase they should unsubscribe. That's the best way to make you opinion matter.

Personally, I never subscribed in the first place and started playing on pc.

How can anyone unsubscribe if they play online multiplayer games all the time?

Venuspower

Received the e-mail too (Germany).
I am glad that I charged 1 year PS+ a few days ago.
Amazon sold 1 year for 35€.

In other words. If you keep an eye out you will probably never have to pay
the full price. Discounts will happen every now and then.

Ydelnae

Stopped renewing my PS+ subscription the moment it became mandatory for online. I have no interested in going back until online gaming comes back for consumers that don't purchase an overpriced service with no signs of improving.

Free online gaming is never going to come back to consoles, I know that, but I'm not going to hop on this PS+ bandwagon anytime soon. The fact that they are actually rising the price up instead of making it more accesible and less of a big deal for players saddens me, I hope the number of subscribers goes down after this.

Nesther

Received the e-mail too (Germany).
I am glad that I charged 1 year PS+ a few days ago.
Amazon sold 1 year for 35€.

In other words. If you keep an eye out you will probably never have to pay
the full price. Discounts will happen every now and then.

Such a shame they have country specific codes, I never find any discounts on the Swiss plus online, whereas I always see German and UK stuff.

Snoopycat

Banned
I bought one of the recent sub offers so mine won't run out until next year but I'm really not happy about this. It's not good value for money and it feels like Sony are just taking advantage of their customers.

I really regret the two years of PS+ I added to my account in early 2016... I should've just kept the cards until I was actually using the service because it's pretty much gone to waste these last couple years.

Oh and yeah, lol at all those excuses they gave for putting PS4's online behind that paywall on improving the service.

aitakute

And here in Japan there's a deal for ps plus. 5143 yen for 12 months and a digital version of Yakuza Kiwami. Wonder if I should get it.

Jingo

Why people are expecting something different from now on? This isnt a premium service, it used to be, but for any ps4 user its a standard service cause almost everyone has it, its almost mandatory, and thats why they can afford to increase the price, they wouldn do that to a niche service.

PSOreo

I was about to be outraged then because I thought it was increasing to £60..I already thought we were paying £50. No one should fool themselves into thinking this will improve the quality of the games by the way; this is is standard brexit re-pricing for the UK. Not sure why EU is getting it too though. It's not the first nor will it be the first instance.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Yeah... while i am not a big fan abt it shit like this happens. I had 2 price increases this year from my cable and i dont feel their service got any better on which they promised i would get from the increase. You wanna play you have to pay i guess.
Its shitty but i am not freaking out over not even a euro a month more.
But bummer for the people who cant miss that euro. I understand their anger.

Wow, get fucked. If I don't see at least one worthwhile triple A game every month I'm done. Sick of this bullshit, the service is not worth it in the current state as it is. Been looking for an excuse to fully convert to PC gaming, and this might do it.

Midas

I know some who don't have PSN stores in their countries so they made EU accounts and are forced to import EU PSN cards, but the cards cost 4 times their local currency. So imagine a 50€ card costing them 200 of their local currencies. Those whom I know only buy PSN cards to only fill their PSN Plus yearly subscriptions and they only rely on the free games their offer each month. Imagine now they have to buy twice the 50 € card to get another year. You can count how much they gonna spend.

Anyway, Sony never gave any reaosn for why this would happen in Europe too.

Ouch, that one sucks, yeah. But that is actually interesting, I never saw it like that. I could create an UK account and just buy UK PS+ cards. Why did I never think of this earlier? I guess I'm just a little bit stupid. :)

Capped download speeds, capped cloud saving data and frequent outages for the low price of 60 euros compared to the competition's price of absolutely free? Well sign me up for that! What a steal!

A literal steal. In the bad way. I'll continue to do all my online multiplayer on PC I guess.

It's an overreaction. Subscribe per month when you want to play online and cancel when you don't want to, if you don't like the games they offer.

luv, the only reason we weren't rioting when subscription became mandatory is because of the pathetic state of Nintendo and Microsoft at the time.

This is 2017 now. Microsoft have accepted their irrelevance and you can play all their games on PC. Nintendo is back in the game and their price is less than half . PC is looking more attractive than ever.

The way things are looking I am not buying the next Playstation console. Sony are safe for now, but this shit will come to back to bite them.

Venuspower

Such a shame they have country specific codes, I never find any discounts on the Swiss plus online, whereas I always see German and UK stuff.

Create a german (or US or whatever) PSN Account and buy PS+ for it.
After that activate your console als "primary console" for that account.
Now you should be able to play online with your swiss account eventhough you do not
own PS+ on it. Your console can still be the "primary console" for your main account aswell.

Midas

Capped download speeds, capped cloud saving data and frequent outages for the low price of 60 euros compared to the competition's price of absolutely free? Well sign me up for that! What a steal!

A literal steal. In the bad way. I'll continue to do all my online multiplayer on PC I guess.

Xbox Live isn't free.

Skeff

Glad I stocked up on the days of play sale for £30 a year but to be honest this sucks. The ps4 games haven't been good enough to warrant this for those of us who don't play online.

glaurung

The links at the end of the email are useless. Check sub status links to the overall account page, which does not feature the current sub status anywhere.

I think I'm paid up until September 2019, hopefully they'll honor that.

Sephimoth

Strange timing before launch of xbox one x...

No reason given in email or PR fluff, just a straight up smash and grab. Had to double check it wasnt a phishing email

Also PSN speeds are horrendous

Cancel your subs if you're upset. I'm a US user and dropped Plus because the "free" games are garbage and the price hike is laughable.

Floody

PASS, movies are a waste of time for PS+

Should be 3 x PS4, 1 x PS3, 1 x PSV, got to keep those Vita owners like me happy after all.

It's currently 3 PS4 games (with the 1 PlayLink title), 2 PS3 and 2 Vita, usually with at least 1 of the PS3 or Vita games being cross-buy too.
That'd be a downgrade.

Top Bottom