• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gameboy415

It kinda sucks that we won't be able to do anything about future Steelbooks...

I wish Sony would have made the new spine design the same SIZE as the original cases at the very least. :(

I don't like that much the new covers design, but on a positive note the spines of the news boxes aren't the old boring, plain black text on a white bg like they used to be for Euro releases. At least that holds true for the only 2 pal releases I've seen with the new design (Brütal Legend and NBA 2K9).

LRB1983

Banned
ichigo kurosaki said:
I don't like that much the new covers design, but on a positive note the spines of the news boxes aren't the old boring, plain black text on a white bg like they used to be for Euro releases. At least that holds true for the only 2 pal releases I've seen with the new design (Brütal Legend and NBA 2K9).
Some old Euro games aren't with plain text. I hope Konami, Capcom and Sony games remain with it :S

Pringo said:
These links may be useful for you guys:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/uploads/raw/index.php?dir=Sony+-+PS3%2F
http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=19
http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1996.75

That site is dedicated to custom game covers and it looks like there's some interest over there for similar redesigns as you guys are trying to do.

Those directories could be useful. That site is VERY custom. I've noticed they are slow with newer releases and focus almost seemingly on custom projects

Aside from the ugly red spiderman box at the top of the spines- the original look was great. I personally hate the giant dark gray boxes on the front and back.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
There was a short time here in the US where PS1 games weren’t just in Saturn sized cases, they literally were Saturn cases.

Gouty said:
There was a short time here in the US where PS1 games weren’t just in Saturn sized cases, they literally were Saturn cases.

Ah I remember that! I bought Top Gun and they thing was monsterous- even had like 5 inches of foam included.

Concept17

Would love to be able to print some out. After getting UC2 and ACiT I now think the new boxart is much better. Looks better in person than in pictures.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 one that I composed

4020703385_87a11eb600_b.jpg

I've literally never opened/used photoshop before 10:45 this evening. This thread got me messing around with it to see if I could make something useful...

This looks great.

I've actually seen people say they prefer the older box layout. Seriously? The new spine and front look SO much better than the ugly red/black "3" on the spine and the terrible Spider-Man font on the front.

It does suck that it screws up the look of a collection that you have on a shelf. My Dreamcast games look stupid.

Jay Sosa

Kinda OT but I something I always wanted to know:

Do they make the "platinum" covers so goddamn ugly on purpose? So that you rather buy the game at full price?

I know this thread is a little old, but I've had the same problem as others here with the PS3 redesigns. I went through my collection and redesigned the covers myself and figured I'd post a few of them on here in case others wanted to use them.

So far I just have Resistance 2 done with Call of Duty 4, Infamous, and Motorstorm on the way. Maybe Metal Gear Solid 4 if I feel adventurous.

Click for full-size

Oh, and I ended up using the UK boxart since I thought it looked better than the US one.

DuckRacer

You're doing Motorstorm Pacific Rift and not the first one, right? Because I just bought the former recently and it'd be great to have it go along with Uncharted 2. :)

Think I'm gonna try and do this with most, if not all of my games. I'll try making some myself though I'm only okay at front covers, I've never tried spines or backs.

Apath

I'd really like a Motorstorm Pacific Rift one. I bought mine from Play Asia for ~$30, and it's some weird version that says Motorstorm II instead of Pacific Rift. Still great deal considering it had just came out. :D

Trevelyan

Banned
What would be the best place to print out these covers so they're high quality like their brethren? Only place I can think of now is Kinko's.

DuckRacer said:
You're doing Motorstorm Pacific Rift and not the first one, right? Because I just bought the former recently and it'd be great to have it go along with Uncharted 2. :)

Sorry, I'm actually doing the first one since it's the only one I own. If I can find a high res scan of the Pacific Rift cover I could do it. The only problem is high res scans like that are hard to come by. With the ones I've worked on I've either scanned them in myself or found high res scans of them online, like with Resistance 2.

widgetraf

Trevelyan said:
What would be the best place to print out these covers so they're high quality like their brethren? Only place I can think of now is Kinko's.

Also, what kind of paper should be used? Perhaps something similar to how Sony has it.

widgetraf said:
Also, what kind of paper should be used? Perhaps something similar to how Sony has it.

I used this and my cover turned out pretty good. It has a nice glossy finish and looks just like the paper they use for DVD covers.

Alright, Call of Duty 4 is done. I ended up having to crop off some of the back, but I still think it looks okay.

Click for full size.

I did the front and side, I couldn't find a good back cover to work with so if some of you want to work on it further, please do. Also, I'm not sure if the resolution is big enough for actual replacement purposes. If not, maybe I can make it bigger or something. Anyway I tried to make it similar to the UC2 front and side so that they match up better.

211jiix.jpg

Veritigo_X said:
I used this and my cover turned out pretty good. It has a nice glossy finish and looks just like the paper they use for DVD covers.

That is the EXACT same paper I use.....HIGHLY recommended. Any custom covers I print with it comes out in better quality than regular covers. The only pain in the ass is cutting them which becomes easier after practice

HYDE

Banned
Veritigo_X said:
I know this thread is a little old, but I've had the same problem as others here with the PS3 redesigns. I went through my collection and redesigned the covers myself and figured I'd post a few of them on here in case others wanted to use them.

So far I just have Resistance 2 done with Call of Duty 4, Infamous, and Motorstorm on the way. Maybe Metal Gear Solid 4 if I feel adventurous.

Please do Infamous first.:D

HYDE said:
Please do Infamous first.:D

Just finished actually.

I couldn't find a good scan of the back of the cover though, so I had to do it on my cheap scanner. Unfortunately it turned out sorta yellowish. The grey front and yellowish back looks weird when the cover is laid out like this, but it looks good once it's actually in the game case.

Click for full size

Yazuka

What are good programs to use to print out these covers with?
What template do you using Veritigo_X? The same Sentry posted on page 2?

HYDE

Banned
Veritigo_X said:
Just finished actually.

I couldn't find a good scan of the back of the cover though, so I had to do it on my cheap scanner. Unfortunately it turned out sorta yellowish. The grey front and yellowish back looks weird when the cover is laid out like this, but it looks good once it's actually in the game case.

U I <3

Thanks so much man, you're awesome.:D

Any chance I could ask for one last request?
If so, thanks in advance.
Please do Uncharted 1 just like the inFamous one.
Those are honestly the only two I want.

Yazuka said:
What are good programs to use to print out these covers with?
What template do you using Veritigo_X? The same Sentryposted on page 2?

I use UndercoverXP. It's free and it does the job. The template I use this one made by Scorpion Soldier.

HYDE said:
Any chance I could ask for one last request?
If so, thanks in advance.
Please do Uncharted 1 just like the inFamous one.
Those are honestly the only two I want.

I'm working on one now. It's just tough since there isn't a good place on the front to crop it to fit the new layout. I heard the new Greatest Hits cover of Uncharted actually has the new layout but I haven't seen it yet. I'll see what I can do though.

Yazuka

Veritigo_X said:
I use UndercoverXP. It's free and it does the job. The template I use this one made by Scorpion Soldier.
Thank you kindly for the information. Guess I'm gonna try making some covers then.
How do you get a hold of images? Scan them yourself or do you have some site you take them from?

Tomasooie

Jay Sosa said:
Kinda OT but I something I always wanted to know:

Do they make the "platinum" covers so goddamn ugly on purpose? So that you rather buy the game at full price?
Sucks for them. There are so many times I would've bought new but instead bought used because the only new ones they had were Platinum or Greatest Hits. Seriously, they need to put that shit on the shrink wrap.

Yazuka said:
Thank you kindly for the information. Guess I'm gonna try making some covers then.
How do you get a hold of images? Scan them yourself or do you have some site you take them from?

I try to find good enough scans of them by just using Google Images, but usually I only find the front and have to scan in the back and spine myself.

Yazuka

Veritigo_X said:
I try to find good enough scans of them by just using Google Images, but usually I only find the front and have to scan in the back and spine myself.
I feared that was the case. Well thanks for all your help. Time to see if I can get something done.

A cover for the Netflix disc would be nice. Right now the disc just sit in the sleeve ... I need to go to BB and put down deposit on PS3 game and get one of those empty case. What I notice is many of the recent game are now in a cardboard box... : (

Yazuka

alr1ghtstart said:
here's a photoshop template i put together with multiple selectable layers for easy customization.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/do2tlmwdh5f/ps3templates.rar

mgs4 cover in the mg saga style

you can also find transparent vectored logos here if you want to add esrb logos/etc: [url]http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
Hey, thanks man. I thought your template was a bit easier to work with. Going to try using yours to do a cover.
Not the best quality to work with, but you take what you can find right?

EDIT: I tried making a simple one. Don't know how good it turned out.
Yeah, so I tried making a Cross Edge cover.

EDIT 2: Heh, I made one for Agarest Generation of War too.

Alright, finished up the Motorstorm one.
I ended up using Shenske's cover of Motorstorm at the Cover Project as a base and just finished up the back to match the new style as well. So I really only did half of it.

Click for full size

I'll probably work on either Fallout 3 or Uncharted next.

DuckRacer

Veritigo_X said:
Sorry, I'm actually doing the first one since it's the only one I own. If I can find a high res scan of the Pacific Rift cover I could do it. The only problem is high res scans like that are hard to come by. With the ones I've worked on I've either scanned them in myself or found high res scans of them online, like with Resistance 2.
The PlayStation Blog has a high-res scan:

(2352 x 2757) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/2846128295/sizes/o/

HYDE

Banned
I'll probably work on either Fallout 3 or Uncharted next.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 1 next pleaaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom