• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfedai0

Banned
While it doesnt particularly impact me, my crappy BD player supports DLNA. Its like a luxury car not hacing AC. IT SHOULD BE THERE.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've never used background MP3s but just not supporting them is pretty lame.

Not something I've ever used but defiantly a box Sony needs to check in the near future.

....if only to spare them the ire of message boards ;-)

EDIT: I just remembered I subscribed to this when it was 12 bucks a few months back. lol

Never loaded a single MP3 onto my PS3. I do know there are some racing fans who will complain about this though. I've never been compelled to provide my own music.

Gold Member
Yeah that blows I have Spotify and loads of other digital music, not going to be buying another service that's for sure. But whatever I can live without it or just stick some music on in the background, could be worse.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Sony is really fortunate that Microsoft became completely incompetent since the last console launch. They have little to offer other than "Hey, at least we're not them, right?"

Aeana

Really strange. What kind of things would developers restrict? Maybe something with gore/nudity?
If it's anything like what some developers do with Vita games and screenshots, whatever they feel like, for any or no reason.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That's terrible. They need to patch in MP3 support and DLNA functionality ASAP.

Step

Wat a sec, Is the MP3 not supported for background music or is it not supported on any way? I can't listen music and copy them to the ps4(I know by usb since it doesn't read CDs)

lupinko

What in the actual fuck?

I can understand no Audio CD support, but no MP3 support?

Yeah, okay, they just have to get right on that then.

I think this is the real reason why there is no Audio CD support, and it's not because of licensing (Sony owns Sony Music and owns a lot of the Compact Disc licensing since you know they cocreated it with Phillips).

This was just part of Kaz's master plan to push Music Unlimited.

=/

bryehn

Now the real question is does the bone still support custom soundtracks using MP3 or require an Xbox Music sub?

Omikaru

Yeeeeeeeah, I am not paying for Music Unlimited. I am happy with the collection of MP3s I own.

They should at least support DNLA network streaming from a PC, Mac or NAS, like the PS3 does.

tranciful

Cut scenes. I thought it was already known that they wouldn't allow you to record certain parts?

Yeah this was already known. Developers can restrict recording of spoiler heavy parts of games.

It'd be interesting if they could put embargos on it. Like, you can only publish video from the last level of the game after the game has been out for a week or two.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sony is really fortunate that Microsoft became completely incompetent since the last console launch. They have little to offer other than "Hey, at least we're not them, right?"

lol Please. Sony isn't going to lose sleep over people on GAF bitching that they can't play MP3s on their system.

dhonk

Sony really won me over with some of their stances, but shit like this? Dumb.

Glad to know at the end of the day I'm just a chump with a wallet. (Yes, my money IS where my mouth is. Im not buying a PS4 or Xbone.)

televator

Wat da fak?

1341587555874.jpg

Sony, I already have tons of music I already paid for. Better quit this shyte and patch MP3 in there. Bad enough I can't just pop in a disk.

Samus4145

That's tricky considering some games allowed music files to be imported, MLB The Show and WWE series for example. Wonder if those features will be removed.

This also stood out to me:

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

:mad:

First no sharing via YouTube and now this. Ngh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks. I've never done custom soundtracks, so I don't really care, but this existed on PS3, right? Hate losing options.

Music Unlimited is terrible. I got a year subscription for it back when they were giving it to PS+ members for $12 (for the whole year) and I've still be paying for Spotify in that time. The catalogue is severely lacking and all of the applications are utter horseshit. The web app is terrible, the smart phone app is terrible, the PS3 app is terrible. A concession was that it was integrated nicely with the Walkman app on the Xperia Z, but that's only going to affect such a small percentage of people.

I honestly couldn't recommend paying for it given the quality of the competition. This seems like the same old Sony trying to leverage its good products to get you using its bad ones.

Flayer

Not that I ever played music on my PS3 apart from when they released that outer space visualizer but it was one of those baseline features I liked having. Not a deal breaker or anything but certainly a negative mark on the PS4.

A music subscription server is a useless alternative since it won't have most of the music I like anyways. Bet it's just a load of chart crap.

what...! this is bullshit if true. So the PS4 won't be able to play mp3's streamed from my media center? fucking stupid stupid bullshit

Bedlam

I was already contemplating cancelling my PS4 pre-order after some recent developments (Driveclub delayed etc) but this might just be the one thing that finally makes me pull the trigger.

I used both my 360 and PS3 for listening to mp3s regularly. :-/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, that is vogelkacke. I hope they add support for MP3s later.

Is this just for background music in games or does it mean you can't download any MP3 files at all? I get lazy sometimes and like listen to podcasts on my PS3 while cleaning the den or taking a nap on the couch.

Macnair

I hope this feature will be added in the future. All audio support via DS4 and MP3 support together will be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom