• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman

Banned
So what was that about the PS4 been made for gamers?

You get nothing out of trying to bully people into your services and it is not like those services are available everywhere.

That's how you end up getting your console hacked Sony.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
the news is lame but your statement is pure bullshit.

In what way? What does the PS4 actually have to compel people to buy the thing right now other than the fact that it's a new system? It wins by default right now, not because Sony did anything exceptional.

Tourmeta

Why can't they just add Spotify :p Unlimited seems like a very unnecessary thing.

Never used a games console for music though so it's not a big deal, how common is that?

Waaghals

I think this is the real reason why there is no Audio CD support, and it's not because of licensing (Sony owns Sony Music and owns a lot of the Compact Disc licensing since you know they cocreated it with Phillips).

This was just part of Kaz's master plan to push Music Unlimited.

=/

I know what they are thinking. My concern is, that other than being a completely unnecessary omission, this limits your music library to whatever MU provides in your region.

Want to listen to an artist that does not like streaming services? Well, suck to be you then. The same for bands that may not be available in your region.

Normally you would just buy/import and then rip the cd's, but that is impossible now.

adroit

It's hilarious and pathetic that they block you from playing your own music just so they can attempt to sell you a subscription instead. HOWEVER, if I buy a PS4 in the future it'll only be for playing games. I couldn't care less about media features. I already own a million other media devices.

UNCMark

Banned
So to have my own music play I just need to sign up for the worst of the pay-to-stream services? Sounds like a bargain!

Now add real background music streaming like the 360 had 8 years ago, Sony.

Andrax

Banned
I just want to stream from my pc like I do now, and I'm not paying for some stupid service. I already pay for Spotify.

Total **** move by Sony, the ps3 has been such a great hub for me. Now I suppose it's limited to pay walls? What next?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
#MP3NOWPS4

Add it to your avatars and spam twitter... go!

Well.. okay, maybe not. Still sucks. Sad to take steps back going forward. Then again, Sony really needs the PS4 to bring in cash, and monetizing everything they can makes sense for them in a business sense for them at least.

I really wish that either Sony or MS would allow streaming PC to your TV, ala how Steambox or Nvidia Sheild works... it'd be a megaton.

Mindlog

I was already contemplating cancelling my PS4 pre-order after some recent developments (Driveclub delayed etc) but this might just be the one thing that finally makes me pull the trigger.
I'm not there yet, but fuck if they're not testing me. I was planning on gifting my PS4 if I didn't want it, but those individuals already sold the WiiU I gifted them last year >:\

I really hope this basic functionality isn't overlooked in favor of pushing their dumbass music service..

Moofers

Shitty. I use custom soundtracks on my vita/360 for certain games and am not thrilled about a subscription to a service that May or may not have all the songs I want to hear.

Afrikan

This is like the Vita... GREAT LOW PRICE...buuuut Memory Card costs this much.

PS4 GREAT LOW PRICE...buuuuut you want music, pay $60 a year.

If we bitch enough they will flick that switch.

Damaniel

Banned
This doesn't affect me personally (I don't play music files or stream video to my PS3 as-is), but it's a really shitty omission for anyone who expects to get what should be considered really basic functionality by now.

My guess is that they'll give in and add support later. Hopefully, at least.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmmm definitely makes me feel a bit better about cancelling my PS4 preorder earlier this month. Sorry, but this stupid move is not going to get people to sign on to Music Unlimited.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This is a genuine megaton

This was already known for months. Also, if this were really such a used feature going from PS3 to PS4, I'd suspect Sony would have kept it in and we wouldn't hear so much complaining for a feature not many people probably used. I will admit trying to shoehorn people into Music Unlimited is pretty sleazy (even though I have it myself).

Sapiens

No DLNA?

This would actually impact my future purchase of the device. This is bullshit, I use DLNA on my PS3 everyday. Welp, another reason to not get rid of my PS3 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom